Little Ivy Rose has a smile that lights up a room but unless her parents raise enough money for groundbreaking treatment she will have to use a wheelchair for the rest of her life.
The three-year-old faces a life of isolation because her cerebral palsy means she can do very little for herself. But she is a delightfully engaging child who shows courage beyond her years.
Stephen and Sky Summers, from Shotts, Lanarkshire, were devastated when their little girl was born prematurely with medical difficulties.
Ivy was born just a year after the couples twins, Xander and Sandy died after being born too prematurely.
Sky, 36, said: They died in my arms. One was just under an hour, the other just over an hour.
When Ivy also arrived early her parents feared she would die too.
Now they are determined to do everything within their power to ensure she gets the very best chance to live as normal a life as possible.
Sky said: When Ivy arrived, she was whisked off to ICU. I didnt even get to touch her. We didnt think there were going to be big problems at first. She came out crying and gurgling.
Initially, Ivy was tube fed and it was three weeks before she could have milk from a bottle. Her problems didnt become completely apparent until Ivy came home at five weeks.
Sky said: We brought Ivy home and within the first 24-48 hours, she had what we call her first episode.
She stopped breathing. She was sleeping in the carrycot next to our bed. I fed her, put her into carrycot, turned round and heard a commotion.
Her arms were shaking and she was very distressed. She couldnt breathe. I picked her up put her across my knee, patting her back but I couldnt get her to start breathing. She started turning blue.
It was a terrifying moment. I started to very gently breathe into her mouth and she came round and started breathing again.
That was the beginning of many episodes over the next eight months. It was a very traumatic time where we just tried to keep her alive.
It transpired the tot had acid reflux and the pain and shock of the acid was enough to stop her breathing.
As she grew, her condition improved but Ivy has never been able to eat anything other than mushy food because of her cerebral palsy.
She is a happy, bright little girl but her mum is not prepared to accept there is no hope of any improvement.
Sky said: Ivy sees NHS specialists but they are only interested in managing her condition, not in curing or rehabilitating it.
When the cerebral palsy diagnosis came through around her second birthday, Sky said: I felt hopeless.
I remember very specifically being told the likely scenario was Ivy would never be able to walk unaided but she would maybe be able to manage around the house, holding on to furniture. She would most likely be in a wheelchair. The best hope is for Ivy to start any therapies as soon as possible because once she is seven her ability to be improve her mobility will diminish.
A connection through family led to meeting Dr Joanne Kurtzberg, who is awaiting approval from the US Food and Drug Administration for stem cell treatment with donor cells on cerebral palsy patients. Kurtzberg has agreed to accept Ivy on to the trial if she meets the criteria.
Ivy also has the opportunity to have treatment from specialists RehabMart including sensory therapies involving work with horses, special suits and trapezes among others.
While some of the therapies will be free, many others are expensive.
The family will have to live in the US for six months to give Ivy her best chance of improvement but it will cost 162,000 which they are hoping to crowdfund.
Sky said: It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Ivy. I am so blessed she is so happy, so affectionate, intelligent and funny but she is excluded from everywhere in life.
Exclusion is a horrendous part for a child with cerebral palsy.
Cerebral palsy is the name for a group of lifelong conditions which affect movement and co-ordination, caused by a problem with the brain which occurs before, during or soon after birth.
The symptoms arent usually obvious just after a baby is born. They become noticeable during the first two or three years. It affects each person differently but the condition may limit a childs activities and independence.
The problem with the brain doesnt worsen but the condition can put a lot of strain on the body.
To donate, go to: http://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ivyrosesummers .
- Lawyer celebrates 40 years with Blythe Liggins after first day hiccup - Leamington Observer - May 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Market Share, Size 2020| Emerging Rapidly with Global Latest Trends, Growth, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2027 - Cole of... - May 24th, 2020
- Australia's top scientists elected as Fellows of the Academy - Australian Academy of Science - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities, Statistics & Forecast to 2026... - May 24th, 2020
- What is a cytokine storm? And why is its prevention key to treating Covid-19? - Scroll.in - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 : Industry Trends, Size, Growth, Swot Analysis By Top Key... - May 24th, 2020
- Restoring vision to the blind - Science Magazine - May 24th, 2020
- Ontario Announces First Phase of Research Projects to Fight COVID-19 - Government of Ontario News - May 24th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Pulmonology Advisor - May 23rd, 2020
- World coronavirus Dispatch: Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Statistics, Demand and Revenue; Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market : In-depth study on Industry Size and Analysis on... - May 23rd, 2020
- World coronavirus Dispatch: Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy market to witness robust revenue growth between 2018 to 2028 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Blocking the deadly cytokine storm is a vital weapon for treating COVID-19 - TheStreet - May 23rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Overview, Opportunities, Analysis of Features, Benefits, Manufacturing Cost and Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 22nd, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Yahoo... - May 22nd, 2020
- Kleo Pharmaceuticals and Celularity Enter into Research Collaboration to Rapidly Develop Allogeneic NK Cell Combination Therapies for COVID-19 and... - May 22nd, 2020
- Blocking the deadly cytokine storm is a vital weapon for treating COVID-19 - The Conversation US - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2024 | Increase in Awareness of Stem Cell Therapy to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Improved Quality of Life in Patients with Microvascular Dysfunction - Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Family needs to raise 40k towards potentially life-changing treatment for mum with MS - Coventry Telegraph - May 19th, 2020
- Interim Results of Phase I Study Confirms Safety with Early Signs of Efficacy for TRPH-222 in NHL - OncoZine - May 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market Report, History and Forecast 2015-2025, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - Express... - May 19th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Emirati dentist who received stem cell therapy doing well - Gulf News - May 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Outcomes of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Children With Diamond-Blackfan Anemia - Hematology Advisor - May 17th, 2020
- Venetoclax May Play Role as Salvage Therapy in Multiply Relapsed MCL - Targeted Oncology - May 17th, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: Aquestive Awaits FDA Decision, Earnings Flow Slows - Benzinga - May 17th, 2020
- GEMoaB Announces Data Presentations Supporting Key Features of Its UniCAR Platform At the Upcoming American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)... - May 17th, 2020
- Michael Hiltzik: Don't be taken in by stem cell firms offering unsubstantiated therapies for COVID-19 - Rome News-Tribune - May 15th, 2020
- Mike Tyson lifts lid on training regime and stem-cell therapy ahead of comeback - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010-2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 15th, 2020
- Mum's brutal stem cell treatment has 'all been worth it' as she enjoys time with family - Grimsby Live - May 15th, 2020
- Kleo Pharmaceuticals to Present Preclinical Data Highlighting the Synergistic Potential of Kleo Asset KP1237 and Autologous NK Cells in the Treatment... - May 15th, 2020
- Here's Why Big Buyers Are Excited About This Cancer Immunotherapy Stock - Motley Fool - May 15th, 2020
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Tisagenlecleucel in the Treatment of Re | CEOR - Dove Medical Press - May 15th, 2020
- Mesoblast raises $138m from investors on hopes for COVID-19 treatment - Sydney Morning Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Group of Genes Have Altered Expression in Autism - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2020
- SENECA BIOPHARMA : MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL CONDITION AND RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Cardio Stem Cell Therapy Used to Treat Critically Ill Covid-19 Patients - Physician's Weekly - May 14th, 2020
- Cellectar Granted Composition of Matter and Use Patent in Europe for CLR 131 - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists generate millions of nave human pluripotent stem cells, far more than have ever been produced - UB News Center - May 14th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Its Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the Virtual Edition of the 25th European Hematology Association Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Industry Outlook to 2025 Featuring Novartis, Vericel, Integra Lifesciences, Mimedx Group, Stryker, Wright Medical, Roche and... - May 14th, 2020
- Doctors just discovered another promising coronavirus therapy - BGR - May 14th, 2020
- Cell therapy firm boosts odds for blood cancer patients as key trial succeeds - The Times of Israel - May 14th, 2020
- Tiziana Life Sciences Announces Data Demonstrating StemPrintER's Superiority Compared to Oncotype DX in Providing Prognostic Information to... - May 14th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Types, Application, and Regions, Forecast 2020- 2025. :Global Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- FTC Letters Warn Marketers to Stop Making Unsupported Claims That Their Products and Therapies Can Effectively Prevent or Treat COVID-19 - New... - May 10th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- Combating coronavirus: UAE announces its highest ever recoveries in a day - Khaleej Times - May 10th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics (ORTX) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Boom In Near Future By 2027 Scrutinized In New Research - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- FDA approves Tabrecta, first targeted therapy to treat metastatic NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 9th, 2020
- FTC warns Oregon companies to stop claiming they can prevent or treat COVID-19 - KGW.com - May 9th, 2020
- Region 1: Chemotherapy, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- World Thalassemia Day 2020: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment of The Disease - India.com - May 9th, 2020
- Avrobio taps Magenta's ADC in ongoing quest to improve gene therapy conditioning - FierceBiotech - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Rise in expanse of applications boosts Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy market 2018 to 2028 3w... - May 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Various Types, End-Use Application, Major Players, Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 With COVID-19 Update by Development factors analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2025 - Bandera... - May 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatment for COVID-19; Doctors Divided on Its Scope - The Quint - May 5th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, 53, reveals he had stem cell research therapy and hadnt hit bags for 15 YEARS before returning t - The Sun - May 5th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - May 5th, 2020
- Liberal MP Jim Carr to receive stem-cell transplant to treat blood cancer - The Globe and Mail - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Extend An Assessed Value Of US$ 218.2 Mn By 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis Of Growth, Trends Progress And Challenges Till Upcoming Year - Jewish Life News - May 5th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Baptist Hospital Patient Credits Stem Cell Treatment With Saving Her Life - CBS Miami - May 4th, 2020
- Stem cell treatment in the UAE sees 'favorable' outcomes for coronavirus patients - CNBC - May 4th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 4th, 2020
- Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab Approved for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 4th, 2020
- Sam back home in Limehouse after treatment donating stem cells to help a patient beat blood cancer - East London Advertiser - May 4th, 2020
- Outcomes of Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Transformed Fanconi Anemia - Hematology Advisor - May 4th, 2020