A Room Full of Ideas
Great ideas,given the proper support, can change the world. Thats one of the reasons seed funding provider Y Combinator helps innovative startups acquire the financial resources they need to put their ideas into action. Since 2005, theyvefunded about 1,500 startups, and two times every year, they present some of those companies to investors via a three-day event known as Demo Day.
For the firstdayof Y Combinators Summer 2017Demo Day event, the startup accelerator presented 50 companies that all have remarkable potential. While you can check them all out on TechCrunch,the following six startups earn our vote as the most futuristic of them all.
Founded by a group of medical doctors and biomedical research scientists, Forever Labs combines two of the most advanced fields in modern medicine: stem cells and anti-aging research.
The startups current staff of 20 doctors wants to take a different approach to fighting age-related diseases by cryogenically freezing stem cells that can be used to combat such diseases when a person is older.
According to the company, stem cell storage couldgrow into a $56 billion market, and the figure doesnt seem outlandish considering the rapid pace at which anti-aging studies and stem cell research have been advancing lately.
Sunuisanother startup with a health-focus, only instead of combatting aging, their goal is to help those who suffer from visual impairments.
The company wants to help blind people navigate streets without having to depend on a cane or a guide dog. To do this, the startup has developed a sonar bracelet or smartwatch that vibrates to alert visually impaired people of nearby objects.
Sunu band combines sonar or echolocation with gentle precise vibrations to inform the user about objects or obstacles within their environment, according to the companys website. After beta-testing the device for six months, Sunu says it managed to reduce the chances that their vision-impaired users got into accidents by 90 percent.
Not all of the startups featured at Demo Day were focused on health and medicine, though this next one combines materials engineering withtextile science.
Kestrel Materialshas designed a fabric thats a step-up from breathable and waterproof types, and their goal is simple enough: reduce the need for bulky layers. To do this, the startup has created an adaptive material that reacts to cold and warmth.
When exposed to cold surroundings, the fabric flexes and creates air pockets that trap heat and keep people warm. During warmer weather, the air pockets collapse and prevent heat from being trapped in the clothing. Since the material uses common fibers, such as nylon and polyester, the applications for such an adaptive fabric are as plentiful as the styles of clothes people wear.
Few things scream future quite likeflying cars, and the next two startups are looking to extend their reach into that space.
First is Skyways, a startup based in Austin, Texas, thats building vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) delivery drones. While they arent exactly the kinds of flying cars you may expect to one day operate yourself, delivery drones like Skyways are positioned to be just as big a part of that flying future.
Skyways drones are capable of hauling loads of up to roughly 20 kilograms (45 pounds), and the company wants to use them to provide the military with a transportation service that doesnt put peoples lives at risk.
Now, this startup takes flying cars to the next level.
Pykawants to make autonomous single-person aircraft a part of our reality, and theyve already built a 181 kilogram (400 pound) one that can fly itself.
While theyre ironing out the tons of regulations requiredfor commercial use of this transportation system, Pykas taken on a side gig in New Zealand as an autonomous crop duster.
Speaking of autonomous tech and farming, thisstartup wants to employ robots as vegetable farmers.
Modular Science, as their name suggests, is into building modular machines for agriculture, and one of their products is a specialized plant-farming robot. The companys goal is to automate 99 percent of the vegetable farming process in the next six months.
- Vegan diet, intense cardio and stem cell therapy How Mike Tyson managed to get ripped at 53 as boxing c - talkSPORT.com - May 27th, 2020
- Hair regeneration using stem cells to treat baldness - BioNews - May 27th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - Jewish Life News - May 27th, 2020
- Biobanks Market - Rising need for replacement organs and the steady advancement in the replacement drive growth of market - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- Novel Therapies Needed: Poor Prognosis of Patients With TP53-Mutated Myeloid Malignancies - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 27th, 2020
- Clinical Outcomes Using RYONCIL(TM) (remestemcel-L) in Children and Adults With Severe Inflammatory Graft Versus Host Disease Published in Three... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Stem Cell Therapies Pipeline, 2020 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 9th, 2020
- Role of science highlighted in pandemic fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - - May 9th, 2020
- UB investigators uncover cellular mechanism involved in Krabbe disease - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - May 9th, 2020
- Gilbert Paterson band students to participate in worldwide documentary - Medicine Hat News - May 9th, 2020
- Heard On Sundial: Reopening Miami-Dade And The Keys, And Stem Cell Treatment For Coronavirus - WLRN - May 7th, 2020
- Researchers Convert Astrocytes to Neurons In Vivo to Treat... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - May 7th, 2020
- Results From Pivotal Phase 2/3 Study of Emapalumab in Patients With Primary HLH Published in New Eng - PharmiWeb.com - May 7th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - GlobeNewswire - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Navigating cancer as a young adult: 'I'm trying to figure out who I am' - Stanford Medical Center Report - May 7th, 2020
- Orgenesis leads the charge at an exciting time for cell and gene therapy - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- End-use Industries of Stem Cell Assay Product Witness Unparalleled Slowdown Induced by Global Outbreak of COVID-361 - 3rd Watch News - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves Tabrecta, the First Targeted Drug for Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and MET exon 14 - Curetoday.com - May 7th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy: Revolutionary treatment helps cure COVID-19 patients - Gulf News - May 3rd, 2020
- Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine ... - April 29th, 2020
- Scientists from Universities in Russia and Ukraine Collaborate to Research on New Approaches to Treat Obesity and Diabetes - QS WOW News - April 29th, 2020
- Organoids: Exploring Liver Cancer Initiation and the Possibilities of Personalized Glioblastoma Treatment - Technology Networks - April 29th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - BioSpace - April 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatment Options | National Stem Cell Clinic - April 28th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis And Forecast 2020-2027 | By Top Key Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - April 28th, 2020
- Dr Annalisa Jenkins on healthcare and biotech investments for family offices - Campden FB - April 28th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers use cell therapy to recover damaged brain areas in mice that suffered - Mirage News - April 24th, 2020
- Scientists explore using CAR-T and other engineered immune cells to target COVID-19 - FierceBiotech - April 24th, 2020
- Lessons for medical profession during management of covid-19 pandemic: Is there a silver lining? - Elets - April 24th, 2020
- Scientists from IKBFU, Moscow and Kiev conducted research on treating obesity - Science Codex - April 24th, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Amniotic Membrane Industry to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market With Economic Growth And Five Forces Analysis By 2024 - Kentucky Journal 24 - April 21st, 2020
- Northwestern Scientists Awarded Top Honors for Achievement in Clinical Research - Northwestern University NewsCenter - April 17th, 2020
- Campus labs produce sample-preserving fluid for COVID-19 test kits - University of California - April 17th, 2020
- Leading the Movement Towards Direct Cell Conversion: An Interview With Mogrify - Technology Networks - April 17th, 2020
- What exactly are underlying conditions? And why people with them may experience more serious illness from coronavirus - Boston News, Weather, Sports |... - April 17th, 2020
- Pandemic reveals another shortcoming in preparation: Scattershot, chaotic research for treatments - Anchorage Daily News - April 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Salamanca Press - April 15th, 2020
- UCSD scientists find possibilities for injured brain cells to be repaired - fox5sandiego.com - April 15th, 2020
- Stem cell therapies slowly gain traction as viable treatments for brain disorders - Science Magazine - April 15th, 2020
- CareDx Introduces AlloCell: Cell Therapy SurveillanceCareDx Announces Collaborations to Develop Cellular Therapy Diagnostics - BioSpace - April 15th, 2020
- NantKwest and ImmunityBio Announce Therapeutics and Vaccines for Combatting COVID-19; Clinical Trials Anticipated to Begin This Quarter - BioSpace - April 15th, 2020
- Leading Urology KOLs Host Live Webinar Entitled The Protect PNS for OAB: A Wireless Uro-Stimulation Injectable Technology on April 29 at 5pm ET -... - April 15th, 2020
- Young-onset Parkinson's may start in the womb - Health24 - April 15th, 2020
- Horizon Research Fellow job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 203439 - Times Higher Education (THE) - April 15th, 2020
- What You Need to Know About the FDA's Approval of Opdivo-Yervoy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma - Curetoday.com - April 8th, 2020
- MSC-based therapies from Mesoblast, Cynata advance to tackle COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - April 8th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - April 8th, 2020
- AlloVir Appoints Ugo Capolino Perlingieri Head of Europe and Middle East Operations - Yahoo Finance - April 8th, 2020
- What does the public know about COVID-19? - University of Miami - April 8th, 2020
- India Based Stem Cell Research Firm To Test Its Stem Cell Product For Acute Respiratory Disease Syndrome (ARDS) COVID-19 - IndianWeb2.com - April 8th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share and Growth Analysis Research Report by 2025. Top Companies are... - April 8th, 2020
- Fate Inks $100M Deal With Janssen for Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Therapies - Xconomy - April 6th, 2020
- Mesoblast's remestemcel-L receives FDA IND clearance for treating COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory distress - Small Caps - April 6th, 2020
- Symtomax: the science behind producing high quality medical cannabis - Health Europa - April 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Colon Cancer - The Ritz Herald - April 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 6th, 2020
- Dr. Bart Rademaker Offers Free Classes On Stem Cell Therapy And The Coronavirus - PR Web - April 6th, 2020
- BioIVT Opens New Blood Donor Center to Support Boston-area Research into COVID-19 Therapies, Vaccines and Diagnostics - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Industry - Market Demand | Recent Trends and Developments Analys - News by aeresearch - April 6th, 2020
- GoBroad Healthcare Group Commences Construction of its Research Hospital in Beijing - PRNewswire - March 30th, 2020
- Reviewing CRYO-CELL International (OTCMKTS:CCEL) and Harsco (OTCMKTS:HSC) - Redmond Register - March 29th, 2020
- Study offers potential breakthrough in the war on antibiotic-resistant superbugs - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- European Medicines Agency Grants Orphan Drug Designation to AlloVirs Viralym-M, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T-Cell Therapy -... - March 26th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Benzinga - March 26th, 2020
- Over 65s and vulnerable islanders in Jersey to be put in lockdown - ITV News - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - OrthoSpineNews - March 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Worldwide Business Analysis and Prediction 2020-2025 || Top Players AVRA Medical... - March 26th, 2020
- The Global Cell Culture Market is expected to grow from USD 14,923.23 Million in 2018 to USD 35,236.23 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - March 25th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 5,721.23 Million in 2018 to USD 15,089.25 Million by the end of 2025 at... - March 25th, 2020
- How Crucial is the Cellular Communications Between the Detached Cancerous Cells and Fibroblast for Growing Metastasis - Spark Health MD - March 25th, 2020
- Partner Therapeutics Announces Initiation of Clinical Trial to Evaluate Leukine in Patients with COVID-19 Associated Respiratory Illness - P&T... - March 25th, 2020
- Sangamo Therapeutics: Market Cap Is At A Bargain Relative To Its Cash Position - Seeking Alpha - March 25th, 2020
- AlloVir expands its research collaboration with Baylor College of Medicine | - University Business - March 24th, 2020
- Mustang Bio Reports Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Recent Corporate Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 22nd, 2020