The Independent Citizens Oversight Committee of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) today unanimously approved an $18.29 million grant to University of California San Diego School of Medicine researchers to fund a phase Ib/IIa clinical trial of a novel combination drug therapy for B-cell cancers.
Scanning electron micrograph of B lymphocyte. Image courtesy of National Cancer Institute.
The approach combines an experimental monoclonal antibody-based drug called cirmtuzumab with ibrutinib, a small molecule drug that inhibits a protein called Brutons tyrosine kinase. Ibrutinib, marketed as Imbruvica, is already approved to treat B cell cancers, like chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Cirmtuzumab targets ROR1, a cell surface protein present on tumors but not in normal adult tissues a distinction that makes it an attractive target for anticancer therapy. Cirmtuzumab is currently in clinical trials for the treatment of CLL.
The new combined drug trial, intended to study both safety and efficacy, is headed by Thomas Kipps, MD, PhD, Distinguished Professor of Medicine and deputy director of research at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center, in collaboration with colleagues at the UC San Diego CIRM Alpha Stem Cell Clinic the cell therapy arm of the Sanford Stem Cell Clinical Center at UC San Diego Health.
We are very excited about evaluating this combination of targeted therapies in the clinic, said Kipps. Although ibrutinib has been approved for treatment of patients with CLL or MCL, it is exceptionally rare for this drug by itself to get rid of all the leukemia cells or cause long-lasting remissions without continuous therapy.
As a result, patients are recommended to take ibrutinib indefinitely until they develop intolerance or resistance to this drug. By blocking a survival/growth-stimulating pathway that provides a lifeline to the leukemia cells of patients taking ibrutinib, cirmtuzumab can work together with ibrutinib to potentially kill all the leukemia cells, allowing patients to achieve a complete remission and stop therapy altogether.
Kipps noted, too that cirmtuzumab targets cancer stem cells, which behave somewhat like the roots of the disease, resisting many forms of treatment and allowing a malignancy to grow back after apparently successful therapy. By targeting cancer stem cells, said Kipps, cirmtuzumab may improve our capacity to achieve more complete and longer lasting remissions when used in combination with targeted drugs, such as ibrutinib, or other anti-cancer drugs for the treatment of patients with many different types of cancer.
B cell malignancies are cancers of the blood. B cells are a type of white blood cell or lymphocyte, part of the immune system. Some B cells produce antibodies to immediately help fight off infections while others, called memory B cells, remember the pathogen in case of future infections. In B cell cancers, mutated B cells dysfunction or grow in an uncontrolled manner, resulting in diseases like CLL (the most common type of leukemia) and most non-Hodgkins lymphomas.
Cirmtuzumab was developed in Kipps laboratory under the auspices of CIRMs HALT leukemia grant awarded to Dennis Carson, MD, principal investigator, and Catriona Jamieson, MD, PhD, deputy director of the Sanford Stem Cell Clinical Center and director of stem cell research at Moores Cancer Center. Kipps led one of the six projects, generating antibodies against ROR1 that, ultimately, led to the cirmtuzumab trials in patients with CLL.
Every year around 20,000 Americans are diagnosed with CLL, said Maria Millan, MD, interim president and CEO of CIRM. For those who have run out of treatment options, the only alternative is a bone marrow transplant. Since CLL afflicts individuals in their 70's who often have additional medical problems, bone marrow transplantation carries a higher risk of life-threatening complications. The combination approach of cirmtuzumab and Ibrutinib seeks to offer a less invasive and more effective alternative for these patients.
Cirmtuzumab has also shown efficacy against solid tumors. A clinical trial is planned to test it, in combination with the drug paclitaxel, for treating metastatic breast cancer. That trial is not yet recruiting participants. Cirmtuzumabs name is a nod to CIRMs long-standing support and research funding.
CIRM was created in 2004 by California voters with $3 billion in funding support to accelerate stem cell research and treatments. Since 2004, UC San Diego researchers have received at least 96 CIRM awards, totaling more than $182 million.
Go here to see the original:
State's Stem Cell Agency Awards $18.2 Million Grant for B Cell Cancer Clinical Trial - UC San Diego Health
- Vegan diet, intense cardio and stem cell therapy How Mike Tyson managed to get ripped at 53 as boxing c - talkSPORT.com - May 27th, 2020
- Hair regeneration using stem cells to treat baldness - BioNews - May 27th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - Jewish Life News - May 27th, 2020
- Biobanks Market - Rising need for replacement organs and the steady advancement in the replacement drive growth of market - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- Novel Therapies Needed: Poor Prognosis of Patients With TP53-Mutated Myeloid Malignancies - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 27th, 2020
- Clinical Outcomes Using RYONCIL(TM) (remestemcel-L) in Children and Adults With Severe Inflammatory Graft Versus Host Disease Published in Three... - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Stem Cell Therapies Pipeline, 2020 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 9th, 2020
- Role of science highlighted in pandemic fight - Chinadaily.com.cn - - May 9th, 2020
- UB investigators uncover cellular mechanism involved in Krabbe disease - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo... - May 9th, 2020
- Gilbert Paterson band students to participate in worldwide documentary - Medicine Hat News - May 9th, 2020
- Heard On Sundial: Reopening Miami-Dade And The Keys, And Stem Cell Treatment For Coronavirus - WLRN - May 7th, 2020
- Researchers Convert Astrocytes to Neurons In Vivo to Treat... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - May 7th, 2020
- Results From Pivotal Phase 2/3 Study of Emapalumab in Patients With Primary HLH Published in New Eng - PharmiWeb.com - May 7th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - GlobeNewswire - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Navigating cancer as a young adult: 'I'm trying to figure out who I am' - Stanford Medical Center Report - May 7th, 2020
- Orgenesis leads the charge at an exciting time for cell and gene therapy - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- End-use Industries of Stem Cell Assay Product Witness Unparalleled Slowdown Induced by Global Outbreak of COVID-361 - 3rd Watch News - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves Tabrecta, the First Targeted Drug for Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and MET exon 14 - Curetoday.com - May 7th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy: Revolutionary treatment helps cure COVID-19 patients - Gulf News - May 3rd, 2020
- Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine ... - April 29th, 2020
- Scientists from Universities in Russia and Ukraine Collaborate to Research on New Approaches to Treat Obesity and Diabetes - QS WOW News - April 29th, 2020
- Organoids: Exploring Liver Cancer Initiation and the Possibilities of Personalized Glioblastoma Treatment - Technology Networks - April 29th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - BioSpace - April 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatment Options | National Stem Cell Clinic - April 28th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis And Forecast 2020-2027 | By Top Key Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - April 28th, 2020
- Dr Annalisa Jenkins on healthcare and biotech investments for family offices - Campden FB - April 28th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers use cell therapy to recover damaged brain areas in mice that suffered - Mirage News - April 24th, 2020
- Scientists explore using CAR-T and other engineered immune cells to target COVID-19 - FierceBiotech - April 24th, 2020
- Lessons for medical profession during management of covid-19 pandemic: Is there a silver lining? - Elets - April 24th, 2020
- Scientists from IKBFU, Moscow and Kiev conducted research on treating obesity - Science Codex - April 24th, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Amniotic Membrane Industry to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market With Economic Growth And Five Forces Analysis By 2024 - Kentucky Journal 24 - April 21st, 2020
- Northwestern Scientists Awarded Top Honors for Achievement in Clinical Research - Northwestern University NewsCenter - April 17th, 2020
- Campus labs produce sample-preserving fluid for COVID-19 test kits - University of California - April 17th, 2020
- Leading the Movement Towards Direct Cell Conversion: An Interview With Mogrify - Technology Networks - April 17th, 2020
- What exactly are underlying conditions? And why people with them may experience more serious illness from coronavirus - Boston News, Weather, Sports |... - April 17th, 2020
- Pandemic reveals another shortcoming in preparation: Scattershot, chaotic research for treatments - Anchorage Daily News - April 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts by Type; Treatment; Application; End User, and Geography - Salamanca Press - April 15th, 2020
- UCSD scientists find possibilities for injured brain cells to be repaired - fox5sandiego.com - April 15th, 2020
- Stem cell therapies slowly gain traction as viable treatments for brain disorders - Science Magazine - April 15th, 2020
- CareDx Introduces AlloCell: Cell Therapy SurveillanceCareDx Announces Collaborations to Develop Cellular Therapy Diagnostics - BioSpace - April 15th, 2020
- NantKwest and ImmunityBio Announce Therapeutics and Vaccines for Combatting COVID-19; Clinical Trials Anticipated to Begin This Quarter - BioSpace - April 15th, 2020
- Leading Urology KOLs Host Live Webinar Entitled The Protect PNS for OAB: A Wireless Uro-Stimulation Injectable Technology on April 29 at 5pm ET -... - April 15th, 2020
- Young-onset Parkinson's may start in the womb - Health24 - April 15th, 2020
- Horizon Research Fellow job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 203439 - Times Higher Education (THE) - April 15th, 2020
- What You Need to Know About the FDA's Approval of Opdivo-Yervoy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma - Curetoday.com - April 8th, 2020
- MSC-based therapies from Mesoblast, Cynata advance to tackle COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - April 8th, 2020
- CYTOVIA Therapeutics and MACROMOLTEK to Develop Dual-Acting Natural Killer Immunotherapy Against SARS CoV2 (COVID-19) | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - April 8th, 2020
- AlloVir Appoints Ugo Capolino Perlingieri Head of Europe and Middle East Operations - Yahoo Finance - April 8th, 2020
- What does the public know about COVID-19? - University of Miami - April 8th, 2020
- India Based Stem Cell Research Firm To Test Its Stem Cell Product For Acute Respiratory Disease Syndrome (ARDS) COVID-19 - IndianWeb2.com - April 8th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share and Growth Analysis Research Report by 2025. Top Companies are... - April 8th, 2020
- Fate Inks $100M Deal With Janssen for Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Therapies - Xconomy - April 6th, 2020
- Mesoblast's remestemcel-L receives FDA IND clearance for treating COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory distress - Small Caps - April 6th, 2020
- Symtomax: the science behind producing high quality medical cannabis - Health Europa - April 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Colon Cancer - The Ritz Herald - April 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Publicist360 - April 6th, 2020
- Dr. Bart Rademaker Offers Free Classes On Stem Cell Therapy And The Coronavirus - PR Web - April 6th, 2020
- BioIVT Opens New Blood Donor Center to Support Boston-area Research into COVID-19 Therapies, Vaccines and Diagnostics - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Industry - Market Demand | Recent Trends and Developments Analys - News by aeresearch - April 6th, 2020
- GoBroad Healthcare Group Commences Construction of its Research Hospital in Beijing - PRNewswire - March 30th, 2020
- Reviewing CRYO-CELL International (OTCMKTS:CCEL) and Harsco (OTCMKTS:HSC) - Redmond Register - March 29th, 2020
- Study offers potential breakthrough in the war on antibiotic-resistant superbugs - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- European Medicines Agency Grants Orphan Drug Designation to AlloVirs Viralym-M, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T-Cell Therapy -... - March 26th, 2020
- Vitro Biopharma First Quarter ended January 31, 2020 Financial Results of Operations - Benzinga - March 26th, 2020
- Over 65s and vulnerable islanders in Jersey to be put in lockdown - ITV News - March 26th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics appoints Stefanos Theoharis as Chief Business Officer - OrthoSpineNews - March 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Worldwide Business Analysis and Prediction 2020-2025 || Top Players AVRA Medical... - March 26th, 2020
- The Global Cell Culture Market is expected to grow from USD 14,923.23 Million in 2018 to USD 35,236.23 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - March 25th, 2020
- The Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market is expected to grow from USD 5,721.23 Million in 2018 to USD 15,089.25 Million by the end of 2025 at... - March 25th, 2020
- How Crucial is the Cellular Communications Between the Detached Cancerous Cells and Fibroblast for Growing Metastasis - Spark Health MD - March 25th, 2020
- Partner Therapeutics Announces Initiation of Clinical Trial to Evaluate Leukine in Patients with COVID-19 Associated Respiratory Illness - P&T... - March 25th, 2020
- Sangamo Therapeutics: Market Cap Is At A Bargain Relative To Its Cash Position - Seeking Alpha - March 25th, 2020
- AlloVir expands its research collaboration with Baylor College of Medicine | - University Business - March 24th, 2020
- Mustang Bio Reports Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Recent Corporate Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 22nd, 2020