According to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), one person in the United States is diagnosed with a blood cancer every 3 minutes. One person dies approximately every 9 minutes due to this illness.
Blood cancers affect the blood, bone marrow, and lymphatic system. Most of these cancers originate in the bone marrow where new blood cells are produced. .
Our bone marrow produces three types of blood cells: red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. However, cancer in the blood occurs when an abnormal type of blood cell goes into an uncontrolled growth and disrupts the normal blood cell development.
The three main types of blood cancers are:
Now, theres news that vitamin C can help fight blood cancer.
Luisa CimminoandBenjamin Neelat the New York University School of Medicine and their colleagues have discovered that, by injecting vitamin C, cancer growth could be prevented.
According to the researchers, blood cancers like acute and chronic leukemia are caused by the mutation of a gene called tet methylcytosine dioxygenase 2 or TET2. This gene is responsible for ensuring the healthy growth of certain stem cells for the production of white blood cells. But, when TET2 mutation occurs, cell growth goes haywire and leads to cancer.
In their mice experiment, the animals were given variableTET2function through genetic engineering. The researchers discovered that cancer is induced with 50 per cent reduction in TET2 activity, and it continues to develop when the said gene remained at a low level.
However, when TET2 was restored, the gene stopped the uncontrolled growth and killed the cancerous cells.
After such findings, what the team needed to find next was something to reactivate TET2. And they opted to use vitamin C, which has the potency to affect embryonic stem cells.
For 24 weeks, they injected a group of mice which had low TET2 with very high dose of vitamin C daily. This slowed the progression of blood cancer. But, in the case of another group of mice which did not receive vitamin C injections, they showed signs of developing leukemia.
Moreover, to test the efficacy of vitamin C, the researchers added it to a cancer drug to which they exposed human leukemia cells in a lab dish. It proved very effective.
With this discovery, the team is hoping that vitamin C would be used in cancer therapies. It would especially help older people with blood cancer whose immune system are too weak to undergo chemotherapy. But, this would have to be done intravenously. Just taking in large doses of vitamin C would not prevent cancer since the body excretes it through urine when its already above 500 milligrams.
Still, this is a very important study that will definitely have a very lasting impact on the field, notes Ulrich Steidl of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, adding that it will likely inspire a lot of scientists and translational investigators to think about similar strategies and to go after these pre-leukemic stem cells, which, in [Steidls] opinion will be critical if were ultimately aiming for a cure.
For healthy people, or those who want to boost their immune system, experts recommend taking vitamin C supplements twice a day for better absorption.
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 11th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2019 Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Type, Application, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 11th, 2019
- Oct4, Considered Vital for Creating iPSCs, Actually Isnt Needed - The Scientist - November 8th, 2019
- A winding romp through advances in cell biology pushes readers to ponder the boundaries of life - Science Magazine - October 31st, 2019
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts By Product Type (Cord Cell Banking, Adult Stem Cell Banking, Embryonic Stem... - October 31st, 2019
- Cell Isolation Market ||Becton, Dickinson, and Company, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck KGaA - Industry News Info - October 31st, 2019
- Scientists Made Mice Live 12% Longer by Hacking Their Telomeres - Futurism - October 22nd, 2019
- Scientists extend mice lifespan 12% by tweaking telomeres - Big Think - October 22nd, 2019
- Merck KGaA opens Shanghai Innovation Center and invests $ 14 million in the China Seed Fund - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Health policy will be the focus of the HLTH - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Syros sees strategic shift after the failure of the previously promising cancer drug - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- What Theranos Whistleblowers Learn About Ethics in Health Startups - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Assessments of Treatment Options for Age-related Macular Degeneration - DocWire News - October 15th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2024 - Exponent Online - October 15th, 2019
- Catholics more motivated to donate if ethical investing is assured - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 10th, 2019
- Greenwood to step down as CEO of BIO after 2020 election - FierceBiotech - October 10th, 2019
- Epigenetic initiation of the TH17 differentiation program is promoted by Cxxc finger protein 1 - Science Advances - October 10th, 2019
- Interview with Tamer Mohamed of Aspect Biosystems on Advancing Tissue Therapeutics - 3DPrint.com - October 10th, 2019
- Yale researchers develop way to help brain organoids thrive - Yale News - October 9th, 2019
- Catholics more motivated to donate if ethical investing is assured - The Catholic Spirit - October 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market: By Key Players, Market Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecasts to 2024 - Joliet Observer - October 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020 - Gem Newz - October 9th, 2019
- On creativity, plasticity and repentance - Arutz Sheva - October 5th, 2019
- What's in the cards for this year's Nobel Prizes? - STAT - October 2nd, 2019
- Moving beyond hype: Could one-two treatment restore damaged heart muscle? - University of Wisconsin-Madison - September 28th, 2019
- Conjugated polymers optically regulate the fate of endothelial colony-forming cells - Science Advances - September 28th, 2019
- God of miniscule things - Pune Mirror - September 27th, 2019
- New study shows insight into how cells maintain their identity - Drug Target Review - September 24th, 2019
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near Future - Rapid News Network - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 Strategic Assessment by Top Players CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech - News Coed - September 24th, 2019
- Study Gives Clues to the Origin of Huntington's Disease, and a New Way to Find Drugs - Nature World News - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 Business Statistics Focus Report Growth by Top Key Players CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotec - The Industry News... - September 24th, 2019
- Orthopedic Biomaterials Product Market Set to Witness YoY Growth by 2018-2026 - NewsStoner - September 24th, 2019
- Global Fetal Bovine Serum Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2017-2026) - OnYourDesks - September 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Discern Steadfast Expansion During 2020 - Technology Trend - September 24th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 22nd, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research and Vaccines using Fetal Tissue - May 6th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cells - Definitions, Use, and Research - April 28th, 2019
- Will Embryonic Stem Cells Ever Cure Anything? - MIT ... - April 28th, 2019
- Creating Embryonic Stem Cells Without Embryo Destruction - April 23rd, 2019
- What Are Stem Cells? - livescience.com - April 19th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem-Cell Research Reaches Moral, Medical Dead End - April 8th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell: Definition, Uses and Collection ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Advantages of Embryonic Stem Cell Research | Sciencing - March 30th, 2019
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells - usccb.org - March 20th, 2019
- Obama Ends Stem Cell Research Ban - CBS News - March 10th, 2019
- Types of Stem Cells A Closer Look at Stem Cells - January 26th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research - rtlofneo.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Ethics Of Embryonic Stem Cell Research Viewpoint Essay - December 11th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cells and Artificial Stem Cells Are ... - December 5th, 2018
- Embryonic stem cells | Cells | MCAT | Khan Academy - November 25th, 2018
- Crucial Differences Between Non-Embryonic and Embryonic Stem ... - November 23rd, 2018
- 14 Key Pros and Cons of Embryonic Stem Cell Research ... - November 5th, 2018
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells in Development, Volume 129 ... - September 29th, 2018
- Reprogrammed stem cells identical to embryonic stem cells - September 29th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cell Protocols by Kursad Turksen | Waterstones - September 29th, 2018
- What Are Stem Cells? Research, Transplant, Therapy, Definition - July 17th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Pros and Cons | HRFnd - June 19th, 2018
- Stem Cell Research: Is It in Danger? - September 29th, 2017
- Truth About Embryonic Stem Cells | Stem Cell Orthopedic ... - September 29th, 2017
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Still Hasn't Cured a Single ... - September 25th, 2017
- Doubts raised about CRISPR gene-editing study in human embryos - Nature.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Study shows human stem cells restore mobility in Parkinson's monkeys - Borneo Bulletin Online - September 2nd, 2017
- Sofa Vergara's ex might finally be out of luck in his battle for custody ... - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Young cardiac cells rejuvenate heart in animal study - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 29th, 2017
- embryonic stem cells : NPR - August 25th, 2017
- Mouse model of human immune system inadequate for stem cell studies - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 25th, 2017
- Letter: Response to 'Disappointed by Republicans' - The Herald-News - August 20th, 2017
- What are Embryonic Stem Cells? - amaskincare.com - August 19th, 2017
- Woman Will Use Stem Cells From Her Baby's Umbilical Cord To ... - LifeNews.com - August 19th, 2017
- Stem cells mimic sphere where embryos grow - Futurity: Research News - August 19th, 2017
- Vitamin C helps genes to kill off cells that would cause cancer - New Scientist - August 19th, 2017
- A way to stabilize haploidy in animal cells - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- First implants derived from stem cells to 'cure' type 1 diabetes - New Scientist - August 12th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 12th, 2017
- Stem Cell Implant Is Being Trialled To Cure" Type 1 Diabetes - IFLScience - August 12th, 2017
- Lego-Like Brain Balls Could Build a Living Replica of Your Noggin - WIRED - August 12th, 2017
- Amniotic sac in a dish: Stem cells form structures that may aid of infertility research - Phys.Org - August 8th, 2017
- BioTech Marketing and market opportunity for Stem Cells - Checkbiotech.org (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Training and Top Protocols using Human Umbilical Cell Tissue - Checkbiotech.org (press release) - August 8th, 2017