Welcome to the Dew Sweeper, your one-stop shop to catch up on the weekend action from the golf world. From the professional tours, trending news, social media headlines and upcoming events, here's every golf-related thing you need to know for the morning of Oct. 28.
Tiger ties Snead
The greats can make the routine spectacular, and the spectacular seem routine. In a tournament halfway around the world, during a time most golf fans are in hibernation, we were reminded, once again, no one in modern sports personifies that sentiment like Tiger Woods.
Woods, making his first appearance in two months and first since his fifth career knee surgery, won the inaugural Zozo Championship in Japan by three shots over Hideki Matsuyama. A win, his 82nd on the PGA Tour, that ties Sam Sneads all-time record.
Its about being consistent and doing it for a long period of time, Woods said. Ive been very fortunate to have the career Ive had so far.
A rain-out on Friday made the weekend a marathon, a dash that was held in the waning hours of Americas East Coast. Yet Woods, who shared the first-round lead with Gary Woodland with a 64, never relinquished his position, entering Monday morning with a three-shot lead over Matsuyama with seven holes left to play.
Woods opened with a bogey at Narashino Country Clubs 12thlet the record show his first-hole jitters apply to restarts as wellbut negated the mistake with a birdie at the 14th. Woods followed with three pars before making an up-and-down birdie, and taking a final-bow fist pump, at the 18th.
The scene was not as visceral or breathtaking as East Lake, the moment not as cathartic or emotional as Augusta. When you win 82 times, all will not be made-for-movie scripts. Even so, Woods made history when few expected him to, in a workman-like manner that belied its blowout fashion. He continues to pen a story no screenwriter could conjure.
The only thing apropos about his performance was his fondness for proving critics wrong. As early as last week, some wondered if Woods was transitioning into the ceremonial player phase of his career. Suppose thats partially true; trophies are handed out at ceremonies, after all.
Its satisfying to dig my way out of it and figure it out, figure out a way, Woods said. There are some hard times to figure it out, but Ive come back with different games over the years.
And perhaps, for years to come.
Tiger the player impresses Tiger the captain
Speaking of future, Woods' next likely appearance will be at his Hero World Challenge in December after the end of the tour's fall slate. The following week is the Presidents Cup, which Woods is captaining for the United States. Though the 43-year-old was not among the eight automatic qualifiers, he remains a consideration for one of the four spot remaining for captain's picks.
A spot he has appeared to lock up.
I think I certainly, as a player, got the captain's attention, Woods jokingly said at his post-round press conference.
Or, as Woodlandalso a captain's pick candidateframed it: "If he doesnt [pick himself], hes dumb.
Woods has made eight Presidents Cup appearances in his career, the last coming in 2013. His picks are expected to come in the first week of November.
The 2019 Presidents Cup will be played at Royal Melbourne, the site of the only International victory in Presidents Cup history (1998). The biennial event begins Dec. 12.
McCord, Kostis out at CBS
Two mainstays of CBS Sports' golf broadcast team are not returning in 2020.
The contracts of Gary McCord and Peter Kostis have not been renewed for next season by the network. Golfweek's Geoff Shackelford and Sports Business Journal's John Ourand reported the news on Saturday, and CBS confirmed the move to Golf Digest in a statement.
"Gary and Peter have been an important part of our golf coverage for three decades," said a CBS spokesperson. "They were both outstanding teammates, and we thank them for their significant contributions throughout the years. We wish them both all the best.
Kostis had been with CBS since 1992, working as an on-course reporter. He is most known for his breakdowns of player swings in slow-motion sequences. McCord, a former PGA Tour player, joined CBS in 1986. He rose to prominence thanks to a colorful personality, one that occasionally got him into trouble, most notably earning a ban from broadcasting at the Masters for saying "There are some body bags down there if that keeps going," when a ball was rolling toward a water hazard, and joking that "bikini wax" was used on Augusta National's greens.
CBS Sports' next broadcast is the 2020 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in late January. The network's contract with the PGA Tour ends in 2021, although CBS is one of multiple entities currently bidding for future media rights.
Surprise winner in Euro Tour finale
Steven Brown was using the Portugal Masters to prepare for an upcoming trip to the European Tour's Qualifying tournament. His itinerary post-Portugal has dramatically changed.
Entering the week 150th in the Race to Dubai standings, Brown played bogey-free over his last 36 holesincluding a five-under final round at Dom Pedro Victoria Golf Courseto win the Euro Tour regular-season finale by one over Branden Stone and Justin Walters.
The victory means instead of fighting for his tour card in Q-school for the seventh time in eight years, Brown has earned an invite to the postseason, beginning in two weeks at the Turkish Airlines Open.
"You just never know with this game," Brown said. "It's crazy to think how well I've played the last month to how bad it was the first two-thirds of the year. I never thought this was going to happen Even today, I liked the fact that I had to go for it and I wasn't just trying to have a good result. That's probably the difference."
Also gaining entry into the playoffs (the top 115 in the Race to Dubai rankings advance) was Walters, who began the week at No. 124. Some of the bubble boys who didn't fare so well were Paul Dunne, former Ryder Cup player Jamie Donaldson and Lee Slattery. Slatterys ousting was particularly brutal, as he missed the cut by a shot seven times in 2019.
Koepka (knee) to miss more time
The worlds best will be at the first WGC of the 2019-'20 PGA Tour season this week. But the World No. 1 will not.
Brooks Koepka was not among the field commitments to the HSBC Champions on Friday. Koepka aggravated his left knee after slipping on wet concrete during the CJ Cup two weeks ago in South Korea, withdrawing from the event and returning to the United States for further testing. He dropped out of the Zozo Championship in the process yet left open the possibility of playing in the WGC-HSBC.
That Koepka is staying on the sidelines is not a surprise. Following the Tour Championship, Koepka underwent stem-cell treatment to repair a partially torn patella tendon in that same knee, a procedure he referred to as extremely painful. He missed the cut in his first tournament back at the Shriners Hospital for Children Open, and indicated in South Korea another stem-cell treatment is on the table.
Koepka is likely out for the remainder of the PGA Tours fall slate, and his involvement for Decembers Presidents Cup is in question. Tiger Woods, who will captain the United States team, said earlier last week hes been in talks with Brooks about the matter.
Were just waiting to see what the surgeons say and see what his protocols will be going forward. Thats something hell keep me abreast of going forward, Woods said. Hes getting other opinions about where his knee is and what his options are. I went through the same thing with my knee and my back. You want as many opinions as you can before you decide which road you want to go down.
WATCH: GOLF DIGEST VIDEOS
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for COPD: Cost, effectiveness, and more - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk on Hemostemix's autologous stem cell therapy technology and why some call it 'the fountain of youth' - InvestorIntel - May 3rd, 2021
- Mesoblast says its stem cell treatment saved lives of severely ill COVID patients - Stockhead - May 3rd, 2021
- Antiviral T cells protected, viable as off-the-shelf treatment for painful complication stem cells - Microbioz India - May 3rd, 2021
- Investigating CAR T-Cell Therapy for Use in Different Disease Types - Targeted Oncology - May 3rd, 2021
- Should scientists be allowed to grow human embryos in a dish beyond 14 days? Is it scientifically important or morally wrong? - USA TODAY - May 3rd, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Brave New World is being reinvented with synthetic embryosand the right reasons - SYFY WIRE - May 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends Evaluation 2021 By Leading Players Updates, Consumer-Demand, Key Strategies, Consumption, Industry Development, Market... - May 3rd, 2021
- STEM NOLA Teams with Obatala Science & CellSpring to Expose Students to Careers and Medical Research at Biotech Startups - PRNewswire - May 3rd, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapies in sight | UNC-Chapel Hill - UNC Chapell Hill - May 3rd, 2021
- FDA's Abecma Approval a 'Great Blessing' for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Enhanced inhibition of tumor growth using TRAIL-overexpressing adipose-derived stem cells in combination with the chemotherapeutic agent CPT-11 in... - May 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights | Reportspedia Clark... - May 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 by Global Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Size, Forecast to 2027 Clark County... - May 3rd, 2021
- CRISPRoff Reversible Epigenome Editing Method Could Enable Safer, More Precise Therapeutics - GenomeWeb - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market To Expand At An expeditious Growth Rate From 2021-2027 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Nanofiber Solutions, Advanced Biomatrix,... - May 3rd, 2021
- FTC continues to crack down on companies peddling fake COVID treatments and cures - HamletHub - May 3rd, 2021
- ThermoGenesis : The History of Cell and Gene Therapy - marketscreener.com - April 18th, 2021
- Russell Health Honored in Global Business Leaders Magazine's '20 Leading Companies of the Year 2021' - PRNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- Durable B-ALL Control With Allogeneic Transplant After CAR T-Cell Therapy - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR lauds easy scale-out of cell therapy - BioProcess Insider - BioProcess Insider - April 18th, 2021
- NeoProgen, Inc. Receives First Granted Patent for Method to Treat Cardiac Conditions using Neonatal Heart-derived Medicinal Signaling Cells (nMSCs)... - April 18th, 2021
- CRISPR gene therapy for sickle cell disease approved by the FDA - BioNews - April 18th, 2021
- Man's heart healed by stem cell therapy and love of an old flame - Leeds Live - April 18th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Professional Report 2021 Witness Robust Expansion by 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis 2021: Size, Share, Sales, Growth, Revenue, Type, Application & Forecast To 2027 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 18th, 2021
- Mastitis therapy explored | AG | kmaland.com - KMAland - April 18th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Enters the Arena in Multiple Myeloma With Ongoing Research Ahead - OncLive - April 18th, 2021
- Leukemia Cutis: Symptoms and Treatment - Healthline - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is Set to Witness Impressive Growth | Top Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 SWOT Analysis, Growth Rate, and Market Share By Type, Application and Global Forecast 2027 - Los Hijos de la... - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2025 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Trends, and Regional Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 8th, 2021
- Pericardial Injection Effective, Less Invasive Way to Get Regenerative Therapies to Heart - NC State News - March 8th, 2021
- Biomarkers Help Predict the Role of Chemotherapy in Biologic Aging - OncLive - March 8th, 2021
- Glial Cell Discovery Could Point the Way to Motor Neuron Disease Therapies - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- Mouth Sores from Chemo: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments - Healthline - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Meet the women hoping to recruit more stem cells donors from Black communities - CTV News - February 19th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Carves Out a Role in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - February 19th, 2021
- AI project to power the future of stem cell manufacturing - TechCentral.ie - February 17th, 2021
- Promising Results for Stem Cell Treatment of Degenerative ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Disease - Cleveland Clinic - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Stroke Recovery | University of ... - February 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment: Future of Modern Medicine | Science Times - February 14th, 2021
- Researchers may have found a miracle cure for baldness - BGR - February 14th, 2021
- Types of leukemia: Prevalence, treatment options, and prognosis - Medical News Today - February 14th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Launch of New Clinical Trial with National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to Evaluate JSP191 in Sickle Cell Disease -... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 14th, 2021
- Keep it Flowing: Combating COVID-19 Blood Shortages in Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - February 14th, 2021
- Network-based screen in iPSC-derived cells reveals therapeutic candidate for heart valve disease - Science - February 14th, 2021
- AlloVir Research Presented at the 2021 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meeting Digital Experience - Business Wire - February 14th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics talks the benefits of HSC therapy - BioProcess Insider - February 14th, 2021
- Protein Discovery in the Development of New Hearing Hair Cells Could Lead to Treatments for Hearing Loss - SciTechDaily - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 4th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 22nd, 2021
- Massive Growth in Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2027| VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell Therapy Sciences, Regeneus, Aratana... - January 22nd, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 22nd, 2021
- Promising Steps Toward Retinal Cell Transplants to Fight Blindness - HealthDay News - January 22nd, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - InvestorIntel - January 22nd, 2021
- Trending News on Targeted Oncology, Week of January 22, 2021 - Targeted Oncology - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - January 22nd, 2021
- Time To Book Profit In Fate Therapeutics Stock After A 5x Rally? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2021
- Reid Merryman, MD, on Study Findings Investigating Prognostic Value of ctDNA for Patients with DLBCL - Cancer Network - January 22nd, 2021
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021