Welcome to the Dew Sweeper, your one-stop shop to catch up on the weekend action from the golf world. From the professional tours, trending news, social media headlines and upcoming events, here's every golf-related thing you need to know for the morning of Oct. 28.
Tiger ties Snead
The greats can make the routine spectacular, and the spectacular seem routine. In a tournament halfway around the world, during a time most golf fans are in hibernation, we were reminded, once again, no one in modern sports personifies that sentiment like Tiger Woods.
Woods, making his first appearance in two months and first since his fifth career knee surgery, won the inaugural Zozo Championship in Japan by three shots over Hideki Matsuyama. A win, his 82nd on the PGA Tour, that ties Sam Sneads all-time record.
Its about being consistent and doing it for a long period of time, Woods said. Ive been very fortunate to have the career Ive had so far.
A rain-out on Friday made the weekend a marathon, a dash that was held in the waning hours of Americas East Coast. Yet Woods, who shared the first-round lead with Gary Woodland with a 64, never relinquished his position, entering Monday morning with a three-shot lead over Matsuyama with seven holes left to play.
Woods opened with a bogey at Narashino Country Clubs 12thlet the record show his first-hole jitters apply to restarts as wellbut negated the mistake with a birdie at the 14th. Woods followed with three pars before making an up-and-down birdie, and taking a final-bow fist pump, at the 18th.
The scene was not as visceral or breathtaking as East Lake, the moment not as cathartic or emotional as Augusta. When you win 82 times, all will not be made-for-movie scripts. Even so, Woods made history when few expected him to, in a workman-like manner that belied its blowout fashion. He continues to pen a story no screenwriter could conjure.
The only thing apropos about his performance was his fondness for proving critics wrong. As early as last week, some wondered if Woods was transitioning into the ceremonial player phase of his career. Suppose thats partially true; trophies are handed out at ceremonies, after all.
Its satisfying to dig my way out of it and figure it out, figure out a way, Woods said. There are some hard times to figure it out, but Ive come back with different games over the years.
And perhaps, for years to come.
Tiger the player impresses Tiger the captain
Speaking of future, Woods' next likely appearance will be at his Hero World Challenge in December after the end of the tour's fall slate. The following week is the Presidents Cup, which Woods is captaining for the United States. Though the 43-year-old was not among the eight automatic qualifiers, he remains a consideration for one of the four spot remaining for captain's picks.
A spot he has appeared to lock up.
I think I certainly, as a player, got the captain's attention, Woods jokingly said at his post-round press conference.
Or, as Woodlandalso a captain's pick candidateframed it: "If he doesnt [pick himself], hes dumb.
Woods has made eight Presidents Cup appearances in his career, the last coming in 2013. His picks are expected to come in the first week of November.
The 2019 Presidents Cup will be played at Royal Melbourne, the site of the only International victory in Presidents Cup history (1998). The biennial event begins Dec. 12.
McCord, Kostis out at CBS
Two mainstays of CBS Sports' golf broadcast team are not returning in 2020.
The contracts of Gary McCord and Peter Kostis have not been renewed for next season by the network. Golfweek's Geoff Shackelford and Sports Business Journal's John Ourand reported the news on Saturday, and CBS confirmed the move to Golf Digest in a statement.
"Gary and Peter have been an important part of our golf coverage for three decades," said a CBS spokesperson. "They were both outstanding teammates, and we thank them for their significant contributions throughout the years. We wish them both all the best.
Kostis had been with CBS since 1992, working as an on-course reporter. He is most known for his breakdowns of player swings in slow-motion sequences. McCord, a former PGA Tour player, joined CBS in 1986. He rose to prominence thanks to a colorful personality, one that occasionally got him into trouble, most notably earning a ban from broadcasting at the Masters for saying "There are some body bags down there if that keeps going," when a ball was rolling toward a water hazard, and joking that "bikini wax" was used on Augusta National's greens.
CBS Sports' next broadcast is the 2020 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in late January. The network's contract with the PGA Tour ends in 2021, although CBS is one of multiple entities currently bidding for future media rights.
Surprise winner in Euro Tour finale
Steven Brown was using the Portugal Masters to prepare for an upcoming trip to the European Tour's Qualifying tournament. His itinerary post-Portugal has dramatically changed.
Entering the week 150th in the Race to Dubai standings, Brown played bogey-free over his last 36 holesincluding a five-under final round at Dom Pedro Victoria Golf Courseto win the Euro Tour regular-season finale by one over Branden Stone and Justin Walters.
The victory means instead of fighting for his tour card in Q-school for the seventh time in eight years, Brown has earned an invite to the postseason, beginning in two weeks at the Turkish Airlines Open.
"You just never know with this game," Brown said. "It's crazy to think how well I've played the last month to how bad it was the first two-thirds of the year. I never thought this was going to happen Even today, I liked the fact that I had to go for it and I wasn't just trying to have a good result. That's probably the difference."
Also gaining entry into the playoffs (the top 115 in the Race to Dubai rankings advance) was Walters, who began the week at No. 124. Some of the bubble boys who didn't fare so well were Paul Dunne, former Ryder Cup player Jamie Donaldson and Lee Slattery. Slatterys ousting was particularly brutal, as he missed the cut by a shot seven times in 2019.
Koepka (knee) to miss more time
The worlds best will be at the first WGC of the 2019-'20 PGA Tour season this week. But the World No. 1 will not.
Brooks Koepka was not among the field commitments to the HSBC Champions on Friday. Koepka aggravated his left knee after slipping on wet concrete during the CJ Cup two weeks ago in South Korea, withdrawing from the event and returning to the United States for further testing. He dropped out of the Zozo Championship in the process yet left open the possibility of playing in the WGC-HSBC.
That Koepka is staying on the sidelines is not a surprise. Following the Tour Championship, Koepka underwent stem-cell treatment to repair a partially torn patella tendon in that same knee, a procedure he referred to as extremely painful. He missed the cut in his first tournament back at the Shriners Hospital for Children Open, and indicated in South Korea another stem-cell treatment is on the table.
Koepka is likely out for the remainder of the PGA Tours fall slate, and his involvement for Decembers Presidents Cup is in question. Tiger Woods, who will captain the United States team, said earlier last week hes been in talks with Brooks about the matter.
Were just waiting to see what the surgeons say and see what his protocols will be going forward. Thats something hell keep me abreast of going forward, Woods said. Hes getting other opinions about where his knee is and what his options are. I went through the same thing with my knee and my back. You want as many opinions as you can before you decide which road you want to go down.
WATCH: GOLF DIGEST VIDEOS
- Trending News: Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Prospects Analysis And Future Strategic Planning By 2025 | Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 4th, 2020
- Hemostemix Filed an Injunction Against Accudata Solutions, Inc. for the Return of its Clinical Trial Midpoint Report and Data - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Trending: Cell Therapy Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Transplant patient turns to art to raise money for charity which saved her life - Bishop's Stortford Independent - July 4th, 2020
- Artificial Blood Substitutes Market - Insights into how contours of market will change in coming years - BioSpace - July 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Segmentation, Top Manufacturers, Demand, Growth, Trend, Opportunity and Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market to Witness over XX% Growth 'in Revenue During the COVID-19 Pandemic Scenario - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 8 Major Markets, 2019-2029 - Anticipated Label Expansions of Currently Marketed Therapies is a Key Driver - GlobeNewswire - July 4th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Autoimmune Disorders Treatment Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Analysis, Growth Forecast From 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 2nd, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Industry 2020: Global Market Trends, Size, Share, Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis by Top Key Players and Forecast Report... - July 2nd, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market includes Production and Market Share by Type (2020-2026) - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Ionis, leading MS researcher throw antisense at a new type of brain cells - Endpoints News - July 2nd, 2020
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Enters Licensing Agreement with Biogen to Develop Treatment for Inherited Retinal Disorder - Newswise - July 2nd, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast-... - July 2nd, 2020
- Context Therapeutics Announces Publication of Onapristone Extended Release Safety Review Results - Business Wire - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Microcarrier System Market to Record Significant Rise in Revenue Share Owing to the Augmenting Demand in COVID 19 Pandemic - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- R3 International Offering New Program for Stem Cell Therapy for Liver Failure in Mexico - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Pembrolizumab Approved for First-Line Treatment of Patients With Colorectal Cancer and Key Mutations - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 outbreak imparts profitable opportunities to Stem Cell Therapy market; demand to remain high post pandemic - Jewish Life News - June 30th, 2020
- Genespire and the San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy announce publication in Nature Biotechnology on enhanced gene editing technique in... - June 30th, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market To Reach USD 5.33 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Data - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Key Manufactures And Chance Analysis-Kite Pharma, Thermo Fisher Scientific, CellGenix... - June 30th, 2020
- Benefit From CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory B-Cell ALL - Hematology Advisor - June 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: UAE treats 2000 virus patients with novel stem cell therapy - Gulf News - June 30th, 2020
- UAE stem cell therapy treats over 2000 coronavirus patients, 1200 fully recover - Khaleej Times - June 30th, 2020
- Innovative treatments that harnesses bodys own immune cells to fight cancer now offered at Jimmy Everest Center - KFOR Oklahoma City - June 30th, 2020
- Vitro Bio-Pharma 2nd Quarter Ended April 30th 2020 Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter - Stockhouse - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By... - June 30th, 2020
- Canine Arthritis Treatment Market: 2020 Global Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Estimated To Witness a Phenomenal Growth by 2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and K-Stemcell Co Ltd.... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Top Companies, Countries, & Forecast 2026|Adverum,... - June 30th, 2020
- GoLiver Therapeutics Receives a Positive Scientific Advice from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) on its Clinical Development and Biomanufacturing... - June 30th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy: why we need to be suspicious about cure-all claims - The Irish Times - June 24th, 2020
- Should You Delay Cancer Treatment Because of COVID-19? Study Says Most Treatments Dont Worsen Coronavirus Infection - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan... - June 24th, 2020
- Over $8M in 2020 Stem Cell Funding Awards Continue to Fuel Marylands Leading Cell Therapy Industry - BioBuzz - June 24th, 2020
- TP53, KMT2D Abnormalities Linked With Poor Prognosis in MCL - Targeted Oncology - June 24th, 2020
- Karyopharm Announces Publication of XPOVIO (Selinexor) Phase 2b SADAL Study Results in The Lancet Haematology - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trend, Growth, Latest Technology & Application Analysis and Global Industry Opportunities Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus and sex hormones baldness may be a risk factor and anti-androgens a treatment - The Conversation AU - June 24th, 2020
- $14M Federal Grant to Research CAR-T Gene Therapy to Cure HIV - POZ - June 24th, 2020
- Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment (GBM) Market: Rise in Awareness Regarding Cancer and Novel Therapies to Boost the Market - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- 4D physiologically adaptable cardiac patch: A 4-month in vivo study for the treatment of myocardial infarction - Science Advances - June 24th, 2020
- Why are more bald men in hospital with coronavirus? The answer could hold a treatment - ABC News - June 24th, 2020
- SFARI | SFARI workshop explores challenges and opportunities of gene therapies for autism spectrum disorder - SFARI News - June 24th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Osteonecrosis Treatment Market Growth and Evolution During 2020-2027 | Bone Therapeutics, Enzo Biochem Inc., and... - June 24th, 2020
- USC scientists use brain organoids to study intellectual disability, with support from the SynGAP Research Fund - USC News - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 by Leading Key Players - 3rd Watch... - June 24th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report 2020-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics, Inc Adds Two Industry Leaders to Its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 24th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Statistics, Opportunities, Demand, Forecast to 2026 | Study with COVID-19 Impact - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Exhaustive Analysis Strategic Assessment and Forecast Till 2026 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Our girl fought for life on a ventilator to survive coronavirus now stem cell donor is her only chance to b - The Sun - June 21st, 2020
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020: Know The Types, Symptoms, Causes And Treatment - NDTV - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Players, SWOT Analysis, Dynamics, Drivers, Key Indicators and Forecast to 2026 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Rapid Unit Sales of Oncology Drugs to Account for Incremental Revenues in the Global Market - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Electrical Stimulation Therapy Market Analysis, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Recent Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- 'Heart-in-a-dish' to study the effects of coronavirus - Cambridge Network - June 21st, 2020
- Report explores the Bone Grafts Market likely to emerge over a period of 2015 to 2021 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Blood and Bone Marrow Cancer Treatment Market Revenue, Growth Rate, Customer Needs, Trend, Manufacturers and Forecast to 2026 - CueReport - June 21st, 2020
- Nick Corderoros wife Amanda Kloots sees husband for the first time in 79 days as she visits him in hospital - The Irish Sun - June 21st, 2020
- Cell Theraputics Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new Cell Theraputic - News by aeresearch - June 21st, 2020
- Wound Care Biologics Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- 2020 Growth: Thalassemia Treatment Market 2020 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Biomedicals big year: Grants fund research on skin, heart cells, cancer and more - Binghamton University - June 19th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapy-focused OpenCell Technologies hires MilliporeSigma executive Kevin Gutshall as new CEO - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Insight to CV Risks of CAR T-Cell Therapy - MedPage Today - June 19th, 2020
- COVID-19: Potential impact on Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2019-2025 - Personal Injury Bureau... - June 19th, 2020
- Orca Bio breaches the surface with $192M for 'high precision' cell therapies - FierceBiotech - June 19th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Avascular Necrosis Market Potential Growth and Forecast Period 2020-2027 | By Leading Players Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Bayer... - June 19th, 2020
- Trending news Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Therapy Market Trending news Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Therapy Market Key Vendors Countries and Forecast... - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR and Vertex show durability of gene-editing therapy, hoping for one and done treatment - FierceBiotech - June 16th, 2020