One of the most remarkable recent advances in biomedical research has been the development of highly targeted gene-editing methods such as CRISPR that can add, remove, or change a gene within a cell with great precision. The method is already being tested or used for the treatment of patients with sickle cell anemia and cancers such as multiple myeloma and liposarcoma, and today, its creators Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna received the Nobel Prize in chemistry.
While gene editing is remarkably precise in finding and altering genes, there is still no way to target treatment to specific locations in the body. The treatments tested so far involve removing blood stem cells or immune system T cells from the body to modify them, and then infusing them back into a patient to repopulate the bloodstream or reconstitute an immune responsean expensive and time-consuming process.
Building on the accomplishments of Charpentier and Doudna, Tufts researchers have for the first time devised a way to directly deliver gene-editing packages efficiently across the blood brain barrier and into specific regions of the brain, into immune system cells, or to specific tissues and organs in mouse models. These applications could open up an entirely new line of strategy in the treatment of neurological conditions, as well as cancer, infectious disease, and autoimmune diseases.
A team of Tufts biomedical engineers, led by associate professor Qiaobing Xu, sought to find a way to package the gene editing kit so it could be injected to do its work inside the body on targeted cells, rather than in a lab.
They used lipid nanoparticles (LNPs)tiny bubbles of lipid molecules that can envelop the editing enzymes and carry them to specific cells, tissues, or organs. Lipids are molecules that include a long carbon tail, which helps give them an oily consistency, and a hydrophilic head, which is attracted to a watery environment.
There is also typically a nitrogen, sulfur, or oxygen-based link between the head and tail. The lipids arrange themselves around the bubble nanoparticles with the heads facing outside and the tails facing inward toward the center.
Xus team was able to modify the surface of these LNPs so they can eventually stick to certain cell types, fuse with their membranes, and release the gene-editing enzymes into the cells to do their work.
Making a targeted LNP takes some chemical crafting.
By creating a mix of different heads, tails, and linkers, the researchers can screen first in the laba wide variety of candidates for their ability to form LNPs that target specific cells. The best candidates can then be tested in mouse models, and further modified chemically to optimize targeting and delivery of the gene-editing enzymes to the same cells in the mouse.
We created a method around tailoring the delivery package for a wide range of potential therapeutics, including gene editing, said Xu. The methods draw upon combinatorial chemistry used by the pharmaceutical industry for designing the drugs themselves, but instead we are applying the approach to designing the components of the delivery vehicle.
In an ingenious bit of chemical modeling, Xu and his team used a neurotransmitter at the head of some lipids to assist the particles in crossing the blood-brain barrier, which would otherwise be impermeable to molecule assemblies as large as an LNP.
The ability to safely and efficiently deliver drugs across the barrier and into the brain has been a long-standing challenge in medicine. In a first, Xus lab delivered an entire complex of messenger RNAs and enzymes making up the CRISPR kit into targeted areas of the brain in a living animal.
Some slight modifications to the lipid linkers and tails helped create LNPs that could deliver into the brain the small molecule antifungal drug amphotericin B (for treatment of meningitis) and a DNA fragment that binds to and shuts down the gene producing the tau protein linked to Alzheimers disease.
More recently, Xu and his team have created LNPs to deliver gene-editing packages into T cells in mice. T cells can help in the production of antibodies, destroy infected cells before viruses can replicate and spread, and regulate and suppress other cells of the immune system.
The LNPs they created fuse with T cells in the spleen or liverwhere they typically resideto deliver the gene-editing contents, which can then alter the molecular make-up and behavior of the T cell. Its a first step in the process of not just training the immune system, as one might do with a vaccine, but actually engineering it to fight disease better.
Xus approach to editing T cell genomes is much more targeted, efficient, and likely to be safer than methods tried so far using viruses to modify their genome.
By targeting T cells, we can tap into a branch of the immune system that has tremendous versatility in fighting off infections, protecting against cancer, and modulating inflammation and autoimmunity, said Xu.
Xu and his team explored further the mechanism by which LNPs might find their way to their targets in the body. In experiments aimed at cells in the lungs, they found that the nanoparticles picked up specific proteins in the bloodstream after injection.
The proteins, now incorporated into the surface of the LNPs, became the main component that helped the LNPs to latch on to their target. This information could help improve the design of future delivery particles.
While these results have been demonstrated in mice, Xu cautioned that more studies and clinical trials will be needed to determine the efficacy and safety of the delivery method in humans.
Mike Silver can be reached at email@example.com.
Read this article:
Taking Gene Editing to the Brain, the Immune System, and More - Tufts Now
- Hematologist/Stem Cell Biologist to Direct Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Cedars-Sinai - Newswise - December 1st, 2020
- Boston Celtics Kemba Walker will miss time after stem cell injection in left knee, will be re-evaluated in J - MassLive.com - December 1st, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 1st, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 1st, 2020
- Sphingosine 1-phosphate Receptor Modulator ONO-4641 Regulates Trafficking of T Lymphocytes and Hematopoietic Stem Cells and Alleviates Immune-Mediated... - December 1st, 2020
- New Drug Could Improve Effectiveness of Stem Cell Therapy - Pain News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 1st, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - December 1st, 2020
- The Promise of Using Cell Cultures To Fight SARS-CoV-2 - Technology Networks - December 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Updates: The Latest Treatments and Vaccines - GovTech - December 1st, 2020
- HCT Deemed More Favorable for MDS That Is High Risk - Cancer Therapy Advisor - December 1st, 2020
- Mini kidneys bioprinted in the lab - Lab + Life Scientist - December 1st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 29th, 2020
- Mapping out the mystery of blood stem cells - Science Codex - November 26th, 2020
- Scientists Reveal a New Drug That Directs Stem Cells To Desired Sites - Science Times - November 26th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 26th, 2020
- The stem/progenitor landscape is reshaped in a mouse model of essential thrombocythemia and causes excess megakaryocyte production - Science Advances - November 26th, 2020
- Novartis bags Mesoblast's stem cell therapy for ARDS, including in Covid-19, in a deal worth up to $1.2B+ - Endpoints News - November 24th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 24th, 2020
- Adherence to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation to Improve Survival in Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 24th, 2020
- Anakinra: efficacy in the management of fever during neutropenia and mucositis in autologous stem cell transplantation (AFFECT-2)-study protocol for a... - November 24th, 2020
- Physical activity is associated with less comorbidity, better treatment tolerance and improved response in patients with multiple myeloma undergoing... - November 24th, 2020
- CAR T-cell therapy treatment helps cancer patient beat near impossible odds - ABC News - November 24th, 2020
- Correlation of whole-bone marrow dual-time-point (18)F-FDG, as measured by a CT-based method of PET/CT quantification, with response to treatment in... - November 24th, 2020
- Late Effects of Therapy Plague Many Patients Who Survived AML as Youths, Young Adults - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 24th, 2020
- Rescue Therapy with Bendamustine and Other Agents May Result in High Response Rates in Relapsed or Refractory NHL - Curetoday.com - November 24th, 2020
- Genenta to Appoint Stephen Squinto, Experienced Biotech Executive and Investor, as Chairman - BioSpace - November 24th, 2020
- Exploring First-line Therapies in Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas - Targeted Oncology - November 24th, 2020
- Israeli Scientists Discover Oxygen Beauty Treatment That Can Make You Look 25 Years Younger - All You Need to - India.com - November 24th, 2020
- Novartis licenses phase 3 COVID-19 cell therapy from Mesoblast - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2020
- Benefits of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 22nd, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Your body may already have the answer to knee pain - WQAD.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Providing CAR T-Cell Therapy for Patients With DLBCL During COVID-19 - Targeted Oncology - November 22nd, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization - OrthoSpineNews - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - The Daily... - November 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19 | Size, Share & Latest Trends, Analysis Report by Manufacturers, Application, Type and... - November 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 impact of COVID-19 on Industry Size, Share, Global Analysis, Development Status, Regional Trends, Opportunity... - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 22nd, 2020
- gift of life marrow registry announces new center for cell and gene therapy - The Boca Raton Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Analysis, Key Company Profiles, Types, Applications and Forecast To 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 22nd, 2020
- Increasing Progenitor Cell Proliferation in the Sub-Ventricular Zone: A Therapeutic Treatment for Progressive Multiple Sclerosis? - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem initiates phase I/IIa (pivotal) trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oNKord in patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) -... - November 22nd, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Magellan, Medipost Co.,... - November 22nd, 2020
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market: Rising awareness about rare diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - The Baytown Sun - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of COVID-19-progress and challenges - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to fill the growth bill in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Malaysia Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 16th, 2020
- Addenbrooke's becomes first regional centre to offer CAR-T cell treatment for cancer patients - Cambridge Network - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in therapy of coronavirus disease 2019 - a review - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Global cryotherapy market size to reach USD 6.72 billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Future Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics, Regional and Global Industry Forecast To 2025 - PRnews... - November 16th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Announces Positive Topline Results from its PROTECTIVE-2 Phase 3 Registrational Trial of Plinabulin in Combination with Pegfilgrastim for... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market To See Massive Growth By 2027| Cryo-Save AG, StemCyte India Therapeutics, SMART CELLS PLUS, Vita 34, LifeCell - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Analysis of Expansion Strategy on Industry, Growth Factors and Expected CAGR Of Top Leaders, Upcoming... - November 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Esperite, Caladrius Biosciences, Via Cord, CBR... - November 9th, 2020
- Doctors Consider Convalescent T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 7th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Latest Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types and Applications 2020 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- The Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells market to grow in the wake of incorporation of the latest technology - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 7th, 2020
- Equillium Announces Positive Interim Data of Itolizumab in the First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease - GlobeNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces New OTL-201 Clinical Data in Sanfilippo Syndrome Type A (MPS-IIIA) Accepted for Oral Presentation at 62nd American... - November 7th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 7th, 2020
- Voters approve stem cell research bonds, but other health care measures defeated - State of Reform - State of Reform - November 5th, 2020
- Stem cells key to ALS therapy - Agoura Hills Acorn - November 5th, 2020
- Development and validation of a novel stem cell subtype for bladder cancer based on stem genomic profiling. - UroToday - November 5th, 2020
- New-onset Post-transplant Diabetes and Therapy in Long-term Survivors After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - November 5th, 2020
- Emerging Trends in Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020,Deeply Analyzes Share, Types, Applications and Future Demands by Key Players-... - November 5th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights Global Analysis and Forecast by (2020 2027) - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020