Dec. 17, 2020 08:30 UTC
GALWAY, Ireland, & SAN DIEGO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ONK Therapeutics Ltd, an innovative natural killer (NK) cell therapy company, today announced that it has secured three new exclusive option license agreements which strengthen its off-the-shelf, dual-targeted natural killer (NK) cell therapy platform and extend its pre-clinical pipeline to four programs across both hematological and solid tumors.
The first option agreement, with Cellerant Therapeutics, gives exclusive rights to a humanized CLEC12A scFv binder. CLEC12A is strongly expressed by blasts in the majority of AML patients. The option to license has enabled ONK to expand its pre-clinical product portfolio, launching a fourth program (ONKT104). This dual-targeted approach combines the CLEC12A CAR with a TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand variant (TRAILv) targeting death receptor 4 (DR4).
While expressed on leukemic stem cells, CLEC12A is absent from normal hematopoietic stem cells and we thus expect that our dual-targeted NK cell therapy approach should enable safe targeting, with a reduced risk of prolonged aplasia in AML, said Prof Michael ODwyer MD, ONK Therapeutics co-founder, and CSO.
The second agreement in-licenses a humanized, tumor-specific antibody targeting an aberrantly glycosylated tumor-associated form of MUC1 (TA-MUC1) from Glycotope GmbH. Multiple solid tumor types express the mucin MUC1, including non-small cell lung cancer, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer. This antibody will be integrated into ONKs pre-clinical program ONKT103, for solid tumors.
Non-selective targeting of MUC1 could be problematic since the target is also expressed by healthy tissues, but ODwyer explains how ONKs dual-targeted approach can be used to address this. We have designed a CAR tailored to the glycosylation pattern distinct to tumor-associated MUC1 with specific recognition of the carbohydrate antigens Tn and T on MUC1, the expression of which is restricted to cancer cells. Glycotope has identified the glycosylation pattern as a way to unlock the potential of TA-MUC1 as a solid tumor target. ONK is thus set to bring the natural benefits of NK cells over T cells to bear on TA-MUC1, in a tumor-specific fashion, while also further boosting efficacy and countering resistance through the use of our TRAIL variant targeting DR5, he said.
ONKs unique platform approach combines the expression of a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) and a high affinity, membrane-bound TRAILv. The incorporation of these two humanized scFvs has the potential to minimize the risk of immunogenicity in the allogeneic setting.
ONK is also exploring several innovative strategies to improve the homing of NK cells. This is an important consideration as ex-vivo expansion can lead to changes in chemokine receptor expression. Through this new license agreement with the NIH, ONK plans to enforce the expression of CCR7, which is downregulated on NK cell expansion. This may improve the homing of NK cells to lymph nodes and is expected to be particularly useful for ONKs off-the-shelf CD19 program targeting B cell lymphoma, ONKT101, which is partnered with Avectas.
ONK is making rapid progress since it announced its most recent financing in October. Chris Nowers, ex Kite Pharma Head of Europe, who joined at that time as Chief Executive Officer, said: The recent American Society of Hematology meeting highlighted the NK cell therapy area as offering great hope as the next generation of advanced cell therapies. We believe our best-in-class off-the-shelf, dual-targeted NK cell therapy platform has the potential to improve performance and overcome some of the shortcomings seen with earlier approaches. These new licensing activities strengthen and expand our programs and illustrate our ambition and strategy to become a leader in this exciting field.
The company recently expanded its operations into the USA, moving into JLABS @ San Diego, Johnson & Johnson Innovations flagship facility, at the heart of San Diegos precision medicine and cell therapy cluster. This represents a second facility that complements its main R&D team and operations in Galway, Ireland. The companys recruitment drive across both facilities has been rapid and the company continues to expand its capability in key areas, including NK cell biology, construct design, gene editing, and process development.
ONK Therapeutics http://www.onktherapeutics.com ONK Therapeutics Ltd is an innovative cell therapy company dedicated to developing the next generation of off-the-shelf, dual-targeted NK cell therapies targeting solid and hematological cancers.
The company was founded in 2015, by Prof. ODwyer MD, of NUI Galway, an expert in translational multiple myeloma research, the tumor microenvironment, and exploitation of NK cells as cellular immunotherapy. Its core proprietary platform is based on a dual-targeted NK cell expressing both a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) targeting a known tumor antigen and a TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand variant (TRAILv) targeting the death receptor pathway (i.e. DR4 or DR5). This unique approach has the potential to enhance efficacy by addressing both intrinsic (e.g. CAR engagement of a tumor-specific antigen) and extrinsic (e.g. signaling through the death receptor pathway) apoptotic pathways and to reduce the susceptibility to possible target antigen escape through the engagement of tumor antigen-independent TRAILv.
Its pre-clinical pipeline comprises four programs;
In addition to the unique dual-targeted NK cell therapy platform, the company has a strong research focus on strategies to enhance homing and persistence, and overcome exhaustion, including the exploration of proprietary gene edits, such as the deletion of checkpoint inhibitory receptors in NK cells.
ONK Therapeutics is headquartered in the med-tech hub of Galway, Ireland, with a wholly-owned US subsidiary, ONK Therapeutics, Inc. based at JLabs @ San Diego. Shareholders include Acorn Bioventures, ALSHC (principally Seamus Mulligan), and Enterprise Ireland.
Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
About Avectas - http://www.avectas.com Avectas is a cell engineering technology business that has developed a unique delivery platform, Solupore to enable the ex vivo manufacture of cell therapy products, which have high in-vivo functionality.
Glycotope http://www.glycotope.com Glycotope is a biotechnology company utilizing a proprietary technology platform to develop highly tumor-specific monoclonal antibodies called GlycoBodies. GlycoBodies bind to targets (GlycoTargets) tumor-specific carbohydrate structure dependent, enabling the development of highly-specific immunotherapies across a broad range of cancer indications. Glycotope has to date discovered in excess of 150 GlycoTargets with GlycoBodies against eight of these targets currently under development.
Each GlycoBody can be developed in an array of modalities with different modes of action providing a unique offering in the (immuno) oncology space. Currently, six clinical and pre-clinical programs based on the GlycoBody technology are under development by Glycotope or its licensing partners.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201217005068/en/
- [PDF] Stem Cell Therapy Market Size Strong Revenue and Generated Opportunities UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 31st, 2021
- Mike Tysons weird stem cell treatment has helped transform incredible body at 55 - Daily Star - August 31st, 2021
- Acute Monocytic Leukemia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment - Healthline - August 31st, 2021
- UC Davis and the School of Medicine set new records in research funding - UC Davis Health - August 31st, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - August 31st, 2021
- DHEC Supports Awareness and Education during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month - SCDHEC - August 31st, 2021
- The emerging roles of the gut microbiome in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - August 31st, 2021
- Global Cryopreservation Equipment Market Report 2021-2028 - Growing Acceptance for Regenerative Medicine & Increasing Needs of Biobanking... - August 31st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Event to benefit 2 families with kids fighting cancer - Youngstown Vindicator - August 31st, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Announces Uplisting to The Nasdaq Capital Market - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2021
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the European Commission Approval of Minjuvi (tafasitamab) in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adults... - August 31st, 2021
- Thomas Smeenk with an update on the FDA Phase II clinical trial program of the Hemostemix blood-derived, stem cell therapeutics product (ACP-01) -... - August 31st, 2021
- 2021 Pipeline Insight Report on Myocardial Infarction - Featuring AstraZeneca, Mesoblast and Boehringer Ingelheim Among Others -... - August 31st, 2021
- Mini brains grown in the lab sprout primitive eyes - Freethink - August 31st, 2021
- BeiGene and EUSA Pharma Announce China NMPA Approval of QARZIBA (Dinutuximab Beta) for Patients With High-Risk Neuroblastoma - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Study Calls for COVID-19 Vaccination in Patients With Cancer to Enable Optimal Treatment Delivery During Pandemic - OncLive - August 18th, 2021
- Treatment of AML in Older Patients Almost At 'The Holy Grail' - Curetoday.com - August 18th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Identify Key Drivers, Trends, Latest Innovations, Business Senario, Demand With Outlook by 2026 - The Market Writeuo -... - August 18th, 2021
- 8 Tips for Coping With a Diagnosis of PPMS - Everyday Health - August 18th, 2021
- More positive results from CRISPR trial for sickle cell and thalassaemia - BioNews - August 18th, 2021
- Belumosudil Granted Full Approval for Treatment of Chronic GVHD by FDA - Cancer Network - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. Martin on the Role of Maintenance Therapy With Rituximab in MCL July 15th 2021 Peter - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- FDA tells Magenta to pump the brakes on blood cancer trial before it starts to develop new dosing test - FierceBiotech - July 22nd, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 22nd, 2021
- Events planned to support 5-year-old's cancer treatments - The Augusta Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- HER2-Specific CAR T Cells Induce Early Efficacy Without Dose-Limiting Toxicities in Pediatric CNS Tumors - OncLive - July 22nd, 2021
- A mother's love: Two years after devastating crash, Abby Roby has hope - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 22nd, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 22nd, 2021
- Introducing the 3D bioprinted neural tissues with the potential to 'cure' human paralysis - 3D Printing Industry - July 22nd, 2021
- Investing in stem cells, the building blocks of the body - MoneyWeek - June 25th, 2021
- Discrepancies Between Real-World Patterns of Care and Recommendations Based on Clinical Trials Exist in MCL - OncLive - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - PR Web - June 25th, 2021
- Disparities in Utilization of Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation as Consolidative Therapy for Multiple Myeloma: A Single Institution Retrospective... - June 25th, 2021
- Vita Therapeutics Raises $32 Million in Oversubscribed Series A Financing Led by Cambrian Biopharma to Advance the Development of Therapies to Treat... - June 25th, 2021
- Updates in the treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas | JEP - Dove Medical Press - June 25th, 2021
- Novel Tafasitamab Combination Finds a Role in Second-line DLBCL Treatment - Targeted Oncology - June 25th, 2021
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Devices Market to Reach $11. 8 Billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- 5 potential benefits of exosome treatment - AZ Big Media - June 8th, 2021
- Orion and the Blood Service launch collaboration to develop new CAR T-cell cancer therapy - Yahoo Finance Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Improvements in the Treatment of Patients With MCL Over the Past Decade - Oncology Learning Network - June 8th, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 8th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to be Added to Russell 2000 Index - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- IN8bio Completes Treatment of First Cohort in Phase 1 Clinical Trial with Gamma Delta T-Cell Therapy in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma... - June 8th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine: moving next-gen treatments from lab to clinic - Pharmaceutical Technology - June 8th, 2021
- Global $30+ Billion Cell Therapy Bioprocessing Market to 2028: Market Opportunities in Automated Procedures to Produce Cell Therapies - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Market Report Forecast to 2027 3M Group Novartis AG Integra Gene Therapies The Manomet Current - The... - June 8th, 2021
- Novel CAR-T Cell Therapy Produces Early and Deep Responses in Certain Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies to Present at the Emerging Growth Conference on June 9, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - June 8th, 2021
- Innovent Biologics and IASO Biotherapeutics to Present Updated Data from its Anti-BCMA CAR-T Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma at... - June 8th, 2021
- High Rate of Response Noted in MCL and CLL With Cirmtuzumab Plus Ibrutinib - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 8th, 2021
- Triplet Combo of Polatuzumab Vedotin, Rituximab and Lenalidomide Safe, Effective to Treat Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Income, Education Affect Treatment and Survival in MDS - DocWire News - June 8th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Early Promise Observed With Lisaftoclax in Relapsed/Refractory CLL and Other Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - June 8th, 2021
- Mustang Bio to Host Key Opinion Leader Webinar on MB-106 CD20-Targeted CAR T for - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- FDA Lifts Hold on bluebird bio's Sickle Cell and Beta-Thalassemia Gene Therapies - BioSpace - June 8th, 2021
- Abecma Continues to Improve Survival in Heavily Pretreated Patients With Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - June 8th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Highlights Positive Interim Data from its Phase 1 Study of FT516 in Combination with - GlobeNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Action Taken by Governor Phil Scott on Legislation - June 7, 2021 - Office of Governor Phil Scott - June 8th, 2021
- Cancer research: New advances and innovations - Medical News Today - June 8th, 2021
- Naturally Treat & Heal The Cause of Pain with Regenerative Therapies - The Mountaineer - May 15th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy UCARTCS1A Shows Early Activity in Relapsed/Refractory Myeloma - OncLive - May 15th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Genenta Phase I/II Glioblastoma Data at ASGCT Show Temferon Delivered Tumor-Focused Interferon ExpressionData presented at the 2021 American Society... - May 15th, 2021
- Safety and Efficacy of Consolidation Therapy with Ipilimumab Plus Nivolumab after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 15th, 2021
- Omeros' Narsoplimab Pivotal Trial Data to Be Shared as an Oral Presentation at the European Hematology Association Congress - Business Wire - May 15th, 2021
- Munshi Explains Staging, Prognosis, and Treatment for a Patient With Acute Graft-vs-Host-Disease - Targeted Oncology - May 15th, 2021
- KD-PACE Salvage Therapy for Aggressive Relapsed Refractory Multiple Myeloma, Plasma Cell Leukemia and Extramedullary Myeloma - DocWire News - May 15th, 2021
- Icy Microneedle Patch Delivers Cell Therapy, Then Melts - Freethink - May 15th, 2021
- FDA Responds to Creative Medical Technology Holdings Regarding Its ImmCelz IND for Stroke Treatment - BioSpace - May 15th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2021 Type and End-use Industry 2026 Orange County Hair Restoration Center,... - May 15th, 2021
- Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cell Segment Is Expected To Lead In the Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market over the Forecast Period,... - May 15th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2021
- New connection between metabolism and red blood cell development - Harvard Gazette - May 15th, 2021
- Heart attack recovery aided by injecting heart muscle cells that overexpress cyclin D2 - The Mix - May 15th, 2021