Princess Margaret scientists have revealed how stem cells are able to generate new blood cells throughout our life by looking at vast, uncharted regions of our genetic material that hold important clues to subtle biological changes in these cells.
The finding, obtained from studying normal blood, can be used to enhance methods for stem cell transplantation, and may also shed light into processes that occur in cancer cells that allow them to survive chemotherapy and relapse into cancer growth many years after treatment.
Using state-of-the art sequencing technology to perform genome-wide profiling of the epigenetic landscape of human stem cells, the research revealed important information about how genes are regulated through the three-dimensional folding of chromatin.
Chromatin is composed of DNA and proteins, the latter which package DNA into compact structures, and is found in the nucleus of cells. Changes in chromatin structure are linked to DNA replication, repair and gene expression (turning genes on or off).
The research by Princess Margaret Cancer Centre Senior Scientists Drs. Mathieu Lupien and John Dick is published in Cell Stem Cell, Wednesday, November 25, 2020.
"We don't have a comprehensive view of what makes a stem cell function in a specific way or what makes it tick," says Dr. Dick, who is also a Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto.
"Stem cells are normally dormant but they need to occasionally become activated to keep the blood system going. Understanding this transition into activation is key to be able to harness the power of stem cells for therapy, but also to understand how malignant cells change this balance.
"Stem cells are powerful, potent and rare. But it's a knife's edge as to whether they get activated to replenish new blood cells on demand, or go rogue to divide rapidly and develop mutations, or lie dormant quietly, in a pristine state."
Understanding what turns that knife's edge into these various stem cell states has perplexed scientists for decades. Now, with this research, we have a better understanding of what defines a stem cell and makes it function in a particular way.
"We are exploring uncharted territory," says Dr. Mathieu Lupien, who is also an Associate Professor in the Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto. "We had to look into the origami of the genome of cells to understand why some can self-renew throughout our life while others lose that ability. We had to look beyond what genetics alone can tell us."
In this research, scientists focused on the often overlooked noncoding regions of the genome: vast stretches of DNA that are free of genes (i.e. that do not code for proteins), but nonetheless harbour important regulatory elements that determine if genes are turned on or off.
Hidden amongst this noncoding DNA - which comprise about 98% of the genome - are crucial elements that not only control the activity of thousands of genes, but also play a role in many diseases.
The researchers examined two distinct human hematopoietic stem cells or immature cells that go through several steps in order to develop into different types of blood cells, such as white or red blood cells, or platelets.
They looked at long-term hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and short-term HSCs found in the bone marrow of humans. The researchers wanted to map out the cellular machinery involved in the "dormancy" state of long-term cells, with their continuous self-renewing ability, as compared to the more primed, activated and "ready-to-go" short-term cells which can transition quickly into various blood cells.
The researchers found differences in the three-dimensional chromatin structures between the two stem cell types, which is significant since the ways in which chromatin is arranged or folded and looped impacts how genes and other parts of our genome are expressed and regulated.
Using state-of-the-art 3D mapping techniques, the scientists were able to analyze and link the long-term stem cell types with the activity of the chromatin folding protein CTCF and its ability to regulate the expression of 300 genes to control long-term, self-renewal.
"Until now, we have not had a comprehensive view of what makes a stem cell function in a particular way," says Dr. Dick, adding that the 300 genes represent what scientists now think is the "essence" of a long-term stem cell.
He adds that long-term dormant cells are a "protection" against malignancy, because they can survive for long periods and evade treatment, potentially causing relapse many years later.
However, a short-term stem cell that is poised to become active, dividing and reproducing more quickly than a long-term one, can gather up many more mutations, and sometimes these can progress to blood cancers, he adds.
"This research gives us insight into aspects of how cancer starts and how some cancer cells can retain stem-cell like properties that allow them to survive long-term," says Dr. Dick.
He adds that a deeper understanding of stem cells can also help with stem cells transplants for the treatment of blood cancers in the future, by potentially stimulating and growing these cells ex vivo (out of the body) for improved transplantation.
See the rest here:
Mapping out the mystery of blood stem cells - Science Codex
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021
- BENEV Announces Investigative Report on Combination Treatment with Human Adipose Tissue Stem Cell- derived Exosomes and Fractional CO2 Laser for Acne... - January 9th, 2021
- Four promising COVID-19 therapies being tested at nearby UVA - Rappahannock News - January 9th, 2021
- MCL Landscape Adapts to Changes After CAR T-Cell Therapy Approval - OncLive - January 9th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Reach Valuation US$ 23.7 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- Unlocking The Unlimited Potential Of Stem Cells - CodeBlue - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment Proving Highly Successful In Treating Most Severe Cases Of COVID - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Comparison of the efficiency, safety, and survival outcomes in two stem cell mobilization regimens with cyclophosphamide plus G-CSF or G-CSF alone in... - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 ALS Stories of 2020 - ALS News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Celularity and GX Acquisition Corp. Announce Merger Agreement to Create a Publicly Listed Leader in Allogeneic Cellular Therapy - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Results Show Promising Efficacy in MCL With Next-Generation BTK Inhibitor LOXO-305 - Cancer Network - January 9th, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics in Collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Receives IND Clearance for DA01 in Parkinson's Disease - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2025 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- AGC Biologics Confirms Cell and Gene Therapy Commercial Expertise as Manufacturer of Orchard Therapeutics' Newly Approved Libmeldy - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Forge Biologics Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial (RESKUE) of FBX-101 Gene Therapy for... - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application f - PharmiWeb.com - January 5th, 2021
- Healthcare resource utilization and costs among patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma treated with proteasome inhibitors in... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - The Courier - January 5th, 2021
- Catheters Market: Europe and North America Emerge as Leading Regional Market with Well-established Healthcare Infrastructure - BioSpace - January 5th, 2021
- The Worldwide Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Industry is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.8% Between 2020 to 2025 - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Near-infrared oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor integrates acute myeloid leukemiatargeted imaging and therapy - Science Advances - January 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Lonza's Cocoon will soon make dozens of stem cell therapies all at once - Innovation Origins - January 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Human Lung Organoids to Map and Treat the SARS-CoV2 Infections In Vitro - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 3rd, 2021
- Haywards Heath carer trying to raise funds for MS treatment - The Argus - January 3rd, 2021
- Chronic graft-versus-host disease in children and adolescents with thalassemia after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19-positive cancer patients undergoing active anticancer treatment: An analysis of clinical features and outcomes - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by Growth, Demand and Upcoming Business Opportunities - Farming Sector - January 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Efficacy and safety of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients infected with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry 2021 In-depth Market Analysis and Recent Developments, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2025 | Anterogen Co. Inc.... - December 31st, 2020
- Nociceptive neurons shown to boost hematopoiesis | 2020-12-28 - BioWorld Online - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 28th, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 28th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Continues on Positive Trajectory in Lymphoid Malignancies - OncLive - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis, Growth, Size, Shares, Drivers, Advancements, Challenges, Sophisticated Demand & Key... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem cells from cord blood can now be used across many conditions: Mayur Abhaya, MD & CEO, LifeCell Internat.. - ETHealthworld.com - December 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 28th, 2020
- The Top 5 Most-Read Oncology Stories of 2020 - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Study clarifies the impact of getting old on hematopoietic stem cells - Microbioz India - December 28th, 2020
- Report On Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2026: (Industry Insights, Company Overview and Investment Analysis) - Farming Sector - December 24th, 2020
- Six Benefits of All-on-4 Implants Compared to Regular Dentures - Magazine of Santa Clarita - December 24th, 2020
- Allogeneic SCT Benefits Children and Adolescents With Relapsed Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma - OncLive - December 24th, 2020
- Stem cells in the brain remain active and divide over months - News Landed - December 24th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2026 by Product Type, Applications, Manufacturers, Revenue, Price, Share and Growth Rate & Forecast -... - December 24th, 2020
- Exclusive Research on Stem Cell Therapy Products Market 2020 Segments, Regions, Strategy Analysis: Mesoblast, TiGenix, Osiris - LionLowdown - December 24th, 2020
- Heterogenous Nature of MDS Warrants Further Research, Review Finds - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows 2-year Benefit for Progressive MS Patients in Phase 1 Trial - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - December 19th, 2020
- Dr Clarence Moore Discusses the Importance of Stem Cell Therapy, Heart Health in Beta Thalassemia - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- For Patients With HMA-Resistant MDS, What Are Their Options? - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- The Adrenomyeloneuropathy Treatment Market to grow on an emphatic note from 2019 to 2029 - PharmiWeb.com - December 19th, 2020
- Are Hiccups a Sign of the New Coronavirus? - Healthline - December 19th, 2020
- Every Patient Treated With CRISPR Gene Therapy for Blood Diseases Continues to Thrive, More Than a Year On - Good News Network - December 19th, 2020
- Therapeutic Solutions International Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Using... - December 18th, 2020
- Physio Logic Brings Cutting-edge Regenerative Treatments for Sport Injuries and Arthritis to New York City - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- AlloVir Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for ALVR106, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T Cell Therapy... - December 18th, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 18th, 2020
- Mesoblast shares fall on trials mixed results with heart injection treatment - Stockhead - December 18th, 2020