Our professional field is constantly evolving, says Professor Carroll Webers. He is head of the University Clinic for Ophthalmology at Maastricht UMC+ in the Netherlands, where he started in 1993 as an ophthalmologist with glaucoma (high eye pressure) as a special focus area. Since then, the field has been expanding rapidly and encompasses a wide range of applications for patients. Such as treatments for eye disorders caused by diabetes, retinal detachment, glaucoma, and macular degeneration (which is an age-related phenomenon that affects the retina).
Technological developments play a key role in what can be achieved in ophthalmology. Webers gives a brief glimpse into how the Maastricht university clinic is contributing to these developments.
Notably with the research on stem cell technique carried out by his colleague Professor Rudy Nuijts, for example. A technique that is especially interesting for people who have become blind in one eye as a result of a burn or a caustic substance in the eye.
Together with the Italian cell biologistGraziella Pellegrini and the company Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, Nuijts developed a technique whereby stem cells from the healthy eye are used to grow a new membrane. Nuijts extracts the stem cells which are then sent by courier to Italy. There, Pellegrini cultivates these cells, which takes about two weeks. After that, they are returned to the Maastricht UMC+ as a new membrane. Nuijts subsequently attaches this to the damaged eye. In the Dutch television program Dokters van Morgen (Doctors of Tomorrow), they show how Anne-Mieke King is able to see again after being blind in one eye for many years.
A groundbreaking innovation, Webers declares, but not one that many people will have to undergo. That certainly is the case for cataract operations. At a later age, plenty of peoples own lenses become cloudy, which is what we call a cataract. In the Netherlands, cataract surgery is carried out about 180,000 times a year. The blurred lens is then replaced by an artificial lens. Up until the 1990s, the incision had to be at least as large as the own lens, about 10 millimeters, and that had to be stitched up again. Webers: In general, the smaller the surgical procedure, the faster the patients recovery. With laser techniques, we only need an opening of 1.6 millimeters to replace the blurred lens. Because the incision is so small, stitches are no longer necessary.
I always joke with my patients by saying that both their eyes are about the same age. That implies that they have cataracts in both eyes. For years, the guideline was that one eye was operated on first and after two weeks, the other eye followed. Recently, the Maastricht UMC completed a study showing that it is possible to operate both eyes at once.
You first operate on one eye. Then you take a totally new set of instruments, new fluids, a new jacket, new gloves, and you operate on the other eye. Since July, patients can come to Maastricht UMC+ for this double-sided operation. This has been stepped up in part due to corona. Because in this corona crisis you naturally want patients to be hospitalized as little as possible. If you operate them separately on both eyes, they will just end up coming to the hospital twice as often.
Patients not only need to be examined less often, but it also makes a difference in terms of home care, Webers notes. After this kind of operation, patients have to have eye drops. A substantial proportion of this is done by home care services. Initially, patients have to get drops four times a day for a week, then three times a day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and then once a day for a week. If that can be done with two eyes at the same time, it would make a huge difference.
His original specialism, glaucoma, is also advancing. Every eye has a certain pressure by nature. An eye would never be a beautiful ball otherwise. With glaucoma, the pressure is in principle too much for that eye and in the long run, this leads to irreparable damage. In the end, the patient becomes visually impaired and blind.
There are approximately 350,000 people in the Netherlands who are walking around with glaucoma, Webers adds. High eye pressure can be treated with eye drops, laser surgery, and minor surgical procedures. But the real innovation is a very small stent, which you can also insert into a blood vessel. The hollow tube makes it easier for fluid to drain away, Webers goes on to explain. A project is being carried out by the University Clinic for Ophthalmology at Maastricht UMC+ in conjunction with the Brightlands Campus Chemelot. Ophthalmologist Henny Beckers is in charge of the project.
Finally, Webers goes on to talk a little about his hobby. You dont really know in advance how sensitive a patient is to that eye pressure. The problems only manifest themselves at a later stage. If I knew how sensitive someone is, I might or might not opt for a more intensive treatment. In order to gain more understanding of that sensitivity, the clinic collects body tissue from all glaucoma-compatible patients for research. Of course, we ask for permission to store blood and the tissue and fluid thats lost during surgery. The eye tissue bank now contains samples from around 1500 patients.
Webers explains that you can make blood cells, stem cells, and optic nerve cells from those stem cells. You have to do all sorts of things to achieve this. But it can be done. These cultivated optic nerve cells are put under pressure under laboratory conditions. We want to develop an instrument that allows us to show whether a patient is very sensitive to eye pressure or not. This will give us an insight into how great the risk is that that patient will become seriously visually impaired over the course of her or his life. Then you also have a better idea of how extensively you should treat them.
In addition to sensitivity, Webers also hopes to gain a deeper understanding of what the innate protective factors are. It could be your genes or your diet, for example. You could add protective substances to the cultivated optic nerve cells to see if that cell would then become less vulnerable, Webers continues. Those substances can vary a lot from one individual to another. You may be sensitive to all sorts of substances contained in green vegetables, whereas I am not at all. In that case, the advice would be: Take nutritional supplements. And for me: Dont do that. To us, this is Personalized Medicine. Highly innovative but still at an experimental stage.
This article is a follow-up to: Electronic lens offers a medical solution for eye disorders.
- Hematologist/Stem Cell Biologist to Direct Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Cedars-Sinai - Newswise - December 1st, 2020
- Boston Celtics Kemba Walker will miss time after stem cell injection in left knee, will be re-evaluated in J - MassLive.com - December 1st, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 1st, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 1st, 2020
- Sphingosine 1-phosphate Receptor Modulator ONO-4641 Regulates Trafficking of T Lymphocytes and Hematopoietic Stem Cells and Alleviates Immune-Mediated... - December 1st, 2020
- New Drug Could Improve Effectiveness of Stem Cell Therapy - Pain News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 1st, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - December 1st, 2020
- The Promise of Using Cell Cultures To Fight SARS-CoV-2 - Technology Networks - December 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Updates: The Latest Treatments and Vaccines - GovTech - December 1st, 2020
- HCT Deemed More Favorable for MDS That Is High Risk - Cancer Therapy Advisor - December 1st, 2020
- Mini kidneys bioprinted in the lab - Lab + Life Scientist - December 1st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - December 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 29th, 2020
- Mapping out the mystery of blood stem cells - Science Codex - November 26th, 2020
- Scientists Reveal a New Drug That Directs Stem Cells To Desired Sites - Science Times - November 26th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 26th, 2020
- The stem/progenitor landscape is reshaped in a mouse model of essential thrombocythemia and causes excess megakaryocyte production - Science Advances - November 26th, 2020
- Novartis bags Mesoblast's stem cell therapy for ARDS, including in Covid-19, in a deal worth up to $1.2B+ - Endpoints News - November 24th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 24th, 2020
- Adherence to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation to Improve Survival in Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 24th, 2020
- Anakinra: efficacy in the management of fever during neutropenia and mucositis in autologous stem cell transplantation (AFFECT-2)-study protocol for a... - November 24th, 2020
- Physical activity is associated with less comorbidity, better treatment tolerance and improved response in patients with multiple myeloma undergoing... - November 24th, 2020
- CAR T-cell therapy treatment helps cancer patient beat near impossible odds - ABC News - November 24th, 2020
- Correlation of whole-bone marrow dual-time-point (18)F-FDG, as measured by a CT-based method of PET/CT quantification, with response to treatment in... - November 24th, 2020
- Late Effects of Therapy Plague Many Patients Who Survived AML as Youths, Young Adults - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 24th, 2020
- Rescue Therapy with Bendamustine and Other Agents May Result in High Response Rates in Relapsed or Refractory NHL - Curetoday.com - November 24th, 2020
- Genenta to Appoint Stephen Squinto, Experienced Biotech Executive and Investor, as Chairman - BioSpace - November 24th, 2020
- Exploring First-line Therapies in Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas - Targeted Oncology - November 24th, 2020
- Israeli Scientists Discover Oxygen Beauty Treatment That Can Make You Look 25 Years Younger - All You Need to - India.com - November 24th, 2020
- Novartis licenses phase 3 COVID-19 cell therapy from Mesoblast - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2020
- Benefits of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 22nd, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Your body may already have the answer to knee pain - WQAD.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Providing CAR T-Cell Therapy for Patients With DLBCL During COVID-19 - Targeted Oncology - November 22nd, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization - OrthoSpineNews - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - The Daily... - November 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19 | Size, Share & Latest Trends, Analysis Report by Manufacturers, Application, Type and... - November 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 impact of COVID-19 on Industry Size, Share, Global Analysis, Development Status, Regional Trends, Opportunity... - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 22nd, 2020
- gift of life marrow registry announces new center for cell and gene therapy - The Boca Raton Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Analysis, Key Company Profiles, Types, Applications and Forecast To 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 22nd, 2020
- Increasing Progenitor Cell Proliferation in the Sub-Ventricular Zone: A Therapeutic Treatment for Progressive Multiple Sclerosis? - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem initiates phase I/IIa (pivotal) trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oNKord in patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) -... - November 22nd, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Magellan, Medipost Co.,... - November 22nd, 2020
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market: Rising awareness about rare diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - The Baytown Sun - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of COVID-19-progress and challenges - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to fill the growth bill in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Malaysia Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 16th, 2020
- Addenbrooke's becomes first regional centre to offer CAR-T cell treatment for cancer patients - Cambridge Network - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in therapy of coronavirus disease 2019 - a review - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Global cryotherapy market size to reach USD 6.72 billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Future Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics, Regional and Global Industry Forecast To 2025 - PRnews... - November 16th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Announces Positive Topline Results from its PROTECTIVE-2 Phase 3 Registrational Trial of Plinabulin in Combination with Pegfilgrastim for... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market To See Massive Growth By 2027| Cryo-Save AG, StemCyte India Therapeutics, SMART CELLS PLUS, Vita 34, LifeCell - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Analysis of Expansion Strategy on Industry, Growth Factors and Expected CAGR Of Top Leaders, Upcoming... - November 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Esperite, Caladrius Biosciences, Via Cord, CBR... - November 9th, 2020
- Doctors Consider Convalescent T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 7th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Latest Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types and Applications 2020 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- The Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells market to grow in the wake of incorporation of the latest technology - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 7th, 2020
- Equillium Announces Positive Interim Data of Itolizumab in the First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease - GlobeNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces New OTL-201 Clinical Data in Sanfilippo Syndrome Type A (MPS-IIIA) Accepted for Oral Presentation at 62nd American... - November 7th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 7th, 2020
- Voters approve stem cell research bonds, but other health care measures defeated - State of Reform - State of Reform - November 5th, 2020
- Stem cells key to ALS therapy - Agoura Hills Acorn - November 5th, 2020
- Development and validation of a novel stem cell subtype for bladder cancer based on stem genomic profiling. - UroToday - November 5th, 2020
- New-onset Post-transplant Diabetes and Therapy in Long-term Survivors After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - November 5th, 2020
- Emerging Trends in Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020,Deeply Analyzes Share, Types, Applications and Future Demands by Key Players-... - November 5th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights Global Analysis and Forecast by (2020 2027) - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020