Kadimastem Ltd., a biotechnology firm that develops cell therapies, said it has received promising interim results from a first group of patients treated with its new therapy for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrigs disease, a fatal neurodegenerative condition that causes the loss of muscle control.
Looks like we are on the right track, said Rami Epstein, the CEO of Kadimastem, in a phone interview. The interim results are important because they demonstrate that we have managed to inject the live cells into a human body without any treatment-related significant adverse effect, while also showing a measurable therapeutic effect. Our cell therapy managed to significantly slow down the disease progression and halt deterioration of the disease.
The cell therapy aims to slow or even halt the progression of the disease and improve patients quality of life and life expectancy, he said.
Get The Start-Up Israel's Daily Start-Up by email and never miss our top storiesFree Sign Up
ALS leads to muscle weakness, loss of motor function, paralysis, breathing problems, and eventually death. The average life expectancy of ALS patients is two to five years. According to the ALS Therapy Development Institute, there are approximately 450,000 ALS patients worldwide, 30,000 of them in the US. According to the ALS Foundation for Life, the annual average healthcare costs of an ALS patient in the US are estimated at US$ 200,000. Thus, the annual healthcare costs of ALS patients in the US alone amount to $6 billion.
Reserachers at Kedimastems Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)-compliant production facilities in Nes Ziona, Israel (Hagit Stavinsky)
In a filing to the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange last week, the firm said that the treatment administered to one group of patients in a Phase 1/2a clinical trial held in Israel apparently caused a significant slowdown in the progress of the disease and was found to be safe.
ALS is a devastating disease and there is a critical need for new treatments to more effectively slow down or halt its rapid progression, said Dr. Marc Gotkine of the Department of Neurology at Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, and the principal investigator of the trial. These preliminary results on a small subset of patients are encouraging, as the treatment seems to be safe, at this lower dose.
The initial data analysis appears to demonstrate a slowing down of the reported deterioration rate over the three months following treatment, he said.
This is a positive, but preliminary results and the final results should be awaited, analysts Frost & Sullivan said in an investor note filed with the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
Should the final results expected at the end of 2019 for this phase 1/2a trial also prove positive, this will position Kadimastem as a potential major player in the ALS market and will have positive effect also on firms value, the analysts said. This will also serve as proof of the potential of the companys platform which can be used to treat additional indications in the future.
Prof. Michel Revel, the CSO and founder of Kadimastem (Courtesy)
The company, whose shares are traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, was founded by Prof. Michel Revel, who serves as the companys chief scientific officer. Revel is an emeritus faculty member of the Weizmann Institute of Science and a winner of the Israel Prize, the nations greatest accolade. He is also the creator of Rebif, a multiple sclerosis drug now marketed by Merckand selling for billions of euros globally.
Revel founded Kadimastem in 2009 with Yossi Ben-Yossef, based on cell therapy research Revel had conducted at the Weizmann Institute. Such research focuses on live cells transplanted into the body to replace malfunctioning, disease-causing cells.
In the cell therapy methodology developed and implemented by Kadimastem, we take embryonic stem cells, expand them into large quantities, and differentiate them into specializing cells, he said. Our cells are injected into the patient, replacing and compensating for the biological activity of the damaged cells.
A researcher working in the lab of Kadimastem, in Nes Ziona, Israel (Hagit Stavinsky)
The firm operates in two main spheres: neurological diseases, with the aim of replacing nervous system cells that have stopped functioning; and type 1 diabetes, in which cells that secrete the insulin needed to absorb sugar stop functioning. We develop cells that secrete insulin and regulate blood sugar levels, he said.
In the neurological sphere, the firm has started clinical trials, still at very early stages and on a small group of patients, to replace astrocyte cells,which are responsible for supporting neurons that enable muscle activity. In ALS patients, as a result of dysfunctional astrocytes, the neurons degenerate and muscle control deteriorates as the disease progresses.
All of the ALS patients die eventually, said Epstein, as there is no known cure for the disease. As the disease progresses, patients eventually lose control of their respiratory muscles, including the diaphragm, causing severe respiratory complications, the most common cause of death for ALS patients.
In their work at Kadimastem, the researchers differentiated embryonic stem cells into astrocytes. Scientific literature has indicated that astrocyte cells play a substantial role in supporting malfunctioning cells in ALS and other neurodegenerative diseases, said Revel in a statement issued by the firm.
Kadimastems lab in Nes Ziona, Israel (Hagit Stavinsky)
The patients had these cells injected into their spinal cord, where they secreted various factors that act as goodies, said Epstein. In animal trials, these cells created a protective layer around damaged neurons preventing further deterioration and maintaining and supporting the remaining neuron and muscle activity.
The cells were also able to secrete factors that remove toxic materials accumulated on the damaged neurons, thus acting as a garbage truck, taking toxic and damaging materials away from the neurons, Epstein said.
Now, the Phase 1/2a clinical trial conducted in humans is the first one ever, worldwide, in which live astrocyte cells, our own proprietary AstroRx cells, have been transplanted into humans, he said.
The trial, which started last year, is being conducted at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem on 21 patients divided into four groups.
Each group receives our AstroRx cells, Epstein explained, saying the firm is very excited about the interim results of the first group, which got the lowest dose of the cells some 100 million cells injected into the spinal cord fluid of each patient.
The results are very significant for ALS patients and for us, he said. We hope that in the other groups we will see improved or prolonged efficacy and also safety. Kadimastem has advanced the quest to find a treatment for ALS but has also shown that the company has the ability to differentiate cells into clinical grade functional cells, fit for injection and also effective in humans.
A second cohort of patients, forming part of the same ongoing Phase 1/2a clinical trial, will be getting 250 million cells; group three will get two doses of 250 million cells each, to see if repeated treatments will yield enhanced results; and the fourth group is expected to receive a dose of 500 million AstroRx cells.
The journey ahead is still very long, Epstein emphasized, and it will be years before a drug will be made available to patients. The current Phase 1/2a trial is expected to conclude at the end of 2020, and then an additional trial will start, hopefully with a larger group of patients and in a number of medical centers.
Shares of the company have declined 2.1% in the past 12 months, bringing its market value to NIS 74 million ($21.2 million), as of end of day Wednesday.
- Mapping out the mystery of blood stem cells - Science Codex - November 26th, 2020
- Scientists Reveal a New Drug That Directs Stem Cells To Desired Sites - Science Times - November 26th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 26th, 2020
- The stem/progenitor landscape is reshaped in a mouse model of essential thrombocythemia and causes excess megakaryocyte production - Science Advances - November 26th, 2020
- Novartis bags Mesoblast's stem cell therapy for ARDS, including in Covid-19, in a deal worth up to $1.2B+ - Endpoints News - November 24th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 24th, 2020
- Adherence to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation to Improve Survival in Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 24th, 2020
- Anakinra: efficacy in the management of fever during neutropenia and mucositis in autologous stem cell transplantation (AFFECT-2)-study protocol for a... - November 24th, 2020
- Physical activity is associated with less comorbidity, better treatment tolerance and improved response in patients with multiple myeloma undergoing... - November 24th, 2020
- CAR T-cell therapy treatment helps cancer patient beat near impossible odds - ABC News - November 24th, 2020
- Correlation of whole-bone marrow dual-time-point (18)F-FDG, as measured by a CT-based method of PET/CT quantification, with response to treatment in... - November 24th, 2020
- Late Effects of Therapy Plague Many Patients Who Survived AML as Youths, Young Adults - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 24th, 2020
- Rescue Therapy with Bendamustine and Other Agents May Result in High Response Rates in Relapsed or Refractory NHL - Curetoday.com - November 24th, 2020
- Genenta to Appoint Stephen Squinto, Experienced Biotech Executive and Investor, as Chairman - BioSpace - November 24th, 2020
- Exploring First-line Therapies in Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas - Targeted Oncology - November 24th, 2020
- Israeli Scientists Discover Oxygen Beauty Treatment That Can Make You Look 25 Years Younger - All You Need to - India.com - November 24th, 2020
- Novartis licenses phase 3 COVID-19 cell therapy from Mesoblast - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2020
- Benefits of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 22nd, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Your body may already have the answer to knee pain - WQAD.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Providing CAR T-Cell Therapy for Patients With DLBCL During COVID-19 - Targeted Oncology - November 22nd, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization - OrthoSpineNews - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - The Daily... - November 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19 | Size, Share & Latest Trends, Analysis Report by Manufacturers, Application, Type and... - November 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 impact of COVID-19 on Industry Size, Share, Global Analysis, Development Status, Regional Trends, Opportunity... - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 22nd, 2020
- gift of life marrow registry announces new center for cell and gene therapy - The Boca Raton Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Analysis, Key Company Profiles, Types, Applications and Forecast To 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 22nd, 2020
- Increasing Progenitor Cell Proliferation in the Sub-Ventricular Zone: A Therapeutic Treatment for Progressive Multiple Sclerosis? - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem initiates phase I/IIa (pivotal) trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oNKord in patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) -... - November 22nd, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Magellan, Medipost Co.,... - November 22nd, 2020
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market: Rising awareness about rare diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - The Baytown Sun - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of COVID-19-progress and challenges - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to fill the growth bill in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Malaysia Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 16th, 2020
- Addenbrooke's becomes first regional centre to offer CAR-T cell treatment for cancer patients - Cambridge Network - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in therapy of coronavirus disease 2019 - a review - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Global cryotherapy market size to reach USD 6.72 billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Future Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics, Regional and Global Industry Forecast To 2025 - PRnews... - November 16th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Announces Positive Topline Results from its PROTECTIVE-2 Phase 3 Registrational Trial of Plinabulin in Combination with Pegfilgrastim for... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market To See Massive Growth By 2027| Cryo-Save AG, StemCyte India Therapeutics, SMART CELLS PLUS, Vita 34, LifeCell - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Analysis of Expansion Strategy on Industry, Growth Factors and Expected CAGR Of Top Leaders, Upcoming... - November 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Esperite, Caladrius Biosciences, Via Cord, CBR... - November 9th, 2020
- Doctors Consider Convalescent T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 7th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Latest Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types and Applications 2020 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- The Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells market to grow in the wake of incorporation of the latest technology - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 7th, 2020
- Equillium Announces Positive Interim Data of Itolizumab in the First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease - GlobeNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces New OTL-201 Clinical Data in Sanfilippo Syndrome Type A (MPS-IIIA) Accepted for Oral Presentation at 62nd American... - November 7th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 7th, 2020
- Voters approve stem cell research bonds, but other health care measures defeated - State of Reform - State of Reform - November 5th, 2020
- Stem cells key to ALS therapy - Agoura Hills Acorn - November 5th, 2020
- Development and validation of a novel stem cell subtype for bladder cancer based on stem genomic profiling. - UroToday - November 5th, 2020
- New-onset Post-transplant Diabetes and Therapy in Long-term Survivors After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - November 5th, 2020
- Emerging Trends in Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020,Deeply Analyzes Share, Types, Applications and Future Demands by Key Players-... - November 5th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights Global Analysis and Forecast by (2020 2027) - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics' gene therapy Strimvelis linked to a leukemia case - FiercePharma - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Future Demand Analysis with Forecast 2020 to 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces that Janssen has Submitted a Type II Variation Application to the European Medicines Agency for use of Subcutaneous DARZALEX... - November 5th, 2020
- Actinium Announces Two Oral Presentations Featuring Data and Findings from the Phase 3 SIERRA Trial of Iomab-B at the 62nd American Society of... - November 5th, 2020
- CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Plenary Presentation at the 62nd American Society of Hematology... - November 5th, 2020
- Gamida Cell Announces Data to Be Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Virtual Meeting - Business Wire - November 5th, 2020
- XNK Therapeutics receives US orphan drug status for NK cell-based immunotherapy in multiple myeloma - BioSpace - November 5th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market will Showcase Neutral Impact During 2020-2024 | Use of Biomass as a Fuel in Boiler to Boost Market Growth |... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020-2026 Review, Key Findings, Growth Strategy, Developing Technologies, Trends And Global Forecast By Regions -... - November 5th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Trends, Share, Size, Consumption 2020 2026 | MediVet Biologic, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM,... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism: Effects & Costs in 2020 - November 1st, 2020
- aHSCT Gets a Boost in US With NMSS Recommendations - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - November 1st, 2020
- Optimal Health: Cutting Edge Restorative Treatments Cityview - Knoxville City View - November 1st, 2020
- How pain changes your brain - News - The University of Sydney - November 1st, 2020
- Could an Imaging Test Predict How Well Youll Respond to a Stem Cell Transplant? - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020