The publication, based on data generated from a questionnaire with 150 industry representatives, explores the challenges and solutions facing cell and gene therapy (CGT) companies over the next few years.
The top six trends identified in the CRB survey were:
We got the inside track from Noel Maestre, director of SlateXpace, a CRB solution focused on suite-based manufacturing platforms for the Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMP) and Peter Walters, CRBs director of ATMP, on how the CGT landscape is likely to develop in the short-term.
In a recent report, the MITs Center for Biomedical Innovationprojected that around 500,000 patients will have been treated with 40-60 approved gene therapies by 2030.
Going from the current scenario whereby only a few gene therapies are approved to 60 launches in a decade would represent an extraordinary leap forward and would dramatically change how medicine is actually perceived, said Maestre.
But as regards CGT production today, especially autologous cell therapy (ACT) work, he said that while the science exists the technology - process equipment, facility design and automation platforms - is really still trying to catch up, endeavoring to address a sector that has exploded in the past five years, he commented.
Looking ahead at the CGT landscape over the next few years, he expects a significant amount of change. The science is evolving we see the industry moving away from old cell lines to new cell lines or moving away from viral vectors altogether and using cleavage enzymes as a gene editing tool.
A new host cell line stable producer lines is gaining momentum, he said.
We are seeing the industry moving towards suspension cell culture from less than optimal cell lines, and then further going into producer cell lines.
A full 65% of respondents to the CRB poll said they are developing or intend to develop this type of vector host cell, drawn by the potential for a less expensive, more scalable process.
CRB: Our survey findings provide a data-driven snapshot of an industry whose intellectual capital and cutting-edge science is too often betrayed by outdated technology and applications ill-suited for commercial scale at a time when demand for urgent therapies is rising.
Once the industry gets to the point where producer cell lines are more like a name brand, easier to pull off the shelf and use, it will be a much more cost-effective way to produce viral vectors.
But we are right on the cusp - a lot of companies are recognizing the opportunity and are investing the time and money into producing these. And we also see a lot of contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) producing their own cell lines in house and using those as a lure to [attract the clinical material work] of their clients, said Walters.
According to Maestre, and the CRB survey data backs him up, the product pipelines of companies operating in the CGT space are going to get more complex, for the next five years at least.
More than half of those polled indicated they expect to adopt a multimodal solution within the next two years, with flexibility, scalability, operational efficiency, and speed to market as the top drivers.
Every company is going to be dealing with this dilemma of whether they build dedicated spaces for each of their different modalities, or whether they build highly flexible facilities that can allow them to accommodate whatever is coming next, said Maestre.
He also sees a lot more companies wanting to integrate their supply chain, bringing a lot of manufacturing in-house whereas before they would have been reliant on a whole set of different CDMOs and manufacturers.
Project delivery is also where change is occurring.
We are seeing the industry really moving away from the way projects were executed in the past into a much more integrated model; they are looking for turnkey facility delivery and they want turnaround to be faster. COVID-19 has only accentuated that, with project timelines compressed by 30-40%, and I dont think that it is ever going back to the way it was I think that is going to become the standard, commented Maestre.
And another major trend over the next few years will be around the cost of therapies. As they become more commonplace and there are more and more CGT licensed products, the costs will come down.
Projecting forward, Walters sees an eventual shift away from autologous to allogeneic cell therapy.
As the technology continues to develop and the science continues to improve and new and better ways are found to use and leverage cells, we will see companies moving to a scalable allogeneic model, getting away from having to do that point-of-care, personalized tracking and more towards a classic manufacturing model that allows them to produce cells in advance in a way that they can be scaled up.
The idea, evidently, is to process cells for not one but dozens of patients at a time.
We see the industry moving towards donated cells for allogeneic therapy and we are also seeing the beginnings of a shift to using stem cells that can be genetically modified and scaled up and differentiated to become T-Cells or NK cells. I dont think industry has settled on a course yet but there are a lot of companies trying to find that pathway, trying to find the edge to move their manufacturing platform that way, remarked Walters.
Right now, though, all facets of CGT manufacturing are under pressure from COVID-19 vaccine production, they said.
There is significant shortage of cleanroom manufacturing space to manufacture and develop the almost 1,200 CGT products in clinical trials currently.
What we are seeing is that CDMOs have so much demand - they have 12-18 months of backlog in terms of contracts for product development so they are building [new facilities] very rapidly.
As owner operator companies are stuck with that delay in getting their products into development, they are also developing a significant amount of manufacturing space on their own. But while both branches are building as fast as they can, it still isnt enough.
We are constantly hearing from our clients that they are concerned about their supply chains and being able to secure their material. Right now, a lot of companies are moving towards a combination of using CDMOs and manufacturing in-house, said Maestre.
CRB is a provider of engineering, architecture, construction and consulting solutions to the global life sciences and advanced technology industries, with over 1,300 employees.
- Co-founder Thomas Smeenk on the benefits of Hemostemix autologous stem cell therapy - InvestorIntel - January 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact On Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Huge Potential in Future Growth by 2027 | Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc.,... - January 12th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast, 2020-2026 Coherent Market Insights | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex... - January 12th, 2021
- New COVID-19 Treatment Uses Stem Cells - Freethink - January 12th, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Stroke using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 12th, 2021
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020 Dynamics Analysis, Size Witness Growth Acceleration During 2025 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Adocia Files Patent on a Hydrogel Scaffold for Cell Therapy in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Business Wire - January 12th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2024 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 12th, 2021
- Stem cell treatment corrects skull shape and restores brain function in mouse model of childhood disorder - National Institutes of Health - January 9th, 2021
- Doctors Make Medical Breakthrough In Treating Severe Cases Of COVID - CBS New York - January 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover and Reach $14.76 Billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 19.62% - Forecast to 2030 - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2021
- Engineered stem cells that evade immune detection could boost cell therapy and I-O - FierceBiotech - January 9th, 2021
- BENEV Announces Investigative Report on Combination Treatment with Human Adipose Tissue Stem Cell- derived Exosomes and Fractional CO2 Laser for Acne... - January 9th, 2021
- Four promising COVID-19 therapies being tested at nearby UVA - Rappahannock News - January 9th, 2021
- MCL Landscape Adapts to Changes After CAR T-Cell Therapy Approval - OncLive - January 9th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to Reach Valuation US$ 23.7 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- Unlocking The Unlimited Potential Of Stem Cells - CodeBlue - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Treatment Proving Highly Successful In Treating Most Severe Cases Of COVID - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Factor Bioscience spins out a new cell therapy player with eyes on the clinic within 2 years - Endpoints News - January 9th, 2021
- Comparison of the efficiency, safety, and survival outcomes in two stem cell mobilization regimens with cyclophosphamide plus G-CSF or G-CSF alone in... - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 ALS Stories of 2020 - ALS News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Celularity and GX Acquisition Corp. Announce Merger Agreement to Create a Publicly Listed Leader in Allogeneic Cellular Therapy - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Results Show Promising Efficacy in MCL With Next-Generation BTK Inhibitor LOXO-305 - Cancer Network - January 9th, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics in Collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Receives IND Clearance for DA01 in Parkinson's Disease - BioSpace - January 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2025 - Farming Sector - January 5th, 2021
- AGC Biologics Confirms Cell and Gene Therapy Commercial Expertise as Manufacturer of Orchard Therapeutics' Newly Approved Libmeldy - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Forge Biologics Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial (RESKUE) of FBX-101 Gene Therapy for... - January 5th, 2021
- MorphoSys and Incyte Announce the Acceptance of the Swissmedic Marketing Authorization Application f - PharmiWeb.com - January 5th, 2021
- Healthcare resource utilization and costs among patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma treated with proteasome inhibitors in... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - The Courier - January 5th, 2021
- Catheters Market: Europe and North America Emerge as Leading Regional Market with Well-established Healthcare Infrastructure - BioSpace - January 5th, 2021
- The Worldwide Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Industry is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.8% Between 2020 to 2025 - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Near-infrared oxidative phosphorylation inhibitor integrates acute myeloid leukemiatargeted imaging and therapy - Science Advances - January 5th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Lonza's Cocoon will soon make dozens of stem cell therapies all at once - Innovation Origins - January 3rd, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Human Lung Organoids to Map and Treat the SARS-CoV2 Infections In Vitro - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - January 3rd, 2021
- Haywards Heath carer trying to raise funds for MS treatment - The Argus - January 3rd, 2021
- Chronic graft-versus-host disease in children and adolescents with thalassemia after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19-positive cancer patients undergoing active anticancer treatment: An analysis of clinical features and outcomes - DocWire News - January 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by Growth, Demand and Upcoming Business Opportunities - Farming Sector - January 3rd, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Efficacy and safety of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients infected with COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol -... - December 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Industry 2021 In-depth Market Analysis and Recent Developments, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2025 | Anterogen Co. Inc.... - December 31st, 2020
- Nociceptive neurons shown to boost hematopoiesis | 2020-12-28 - BioWorld Online - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Demand Analysis, Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Deployment Model, Segments, Organization Size, Production, Revenue... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 28th, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 28th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Continues on Positive Trajectory in Lymphoid Malignancies - OncLive - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis, Growth, Size, Shares, Drivers, Advancements, Challenges, Sophisticated Demand & Key... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem cells from cord blood can now be used across many conditions: Mayur Abhaya, MD & CEO, LifeCell Internat.. - ETHealthworld.com - December 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 28th, 2020
- The Top 5 Most-Read Oncology Stories of 2020 - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 28th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Factory Gate - December 28th, 2020
- Study clarifies the impact of getting old on hematopoietic stem cells - Microbioz India - December 28th, 2020
- Report On Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market to 2026: (Industry Insights, Company Overview and Investment Analysis) - Farming Sector - December 24th, 2020
- Six Benefits of All-on-4 Implants Compared to Regular Dentures - Magazine of Santa Clarita - December 24th, 2020
- Allogeneic SCT Benefits Children and Adolescents With Relapsed Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma - OncLive - December 24th, 2020
- Stem cells in the brain remain active and divide over months - News Landed - December 24th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2026 by Product Type, Applications, Manufacturers, Revenue, Price, Share and Growth Rate & Forecast -... - December 24th, 2020
- Exclusive Research on Stem Cell Therapy Products Market 2020 Segments, Regions, Strategy Analysis: Mesoblast, TiGenix, Osiris - LionLowdown - December 24th, 2020
- Heterogenous Nature of MDS Warrants Further Research, Review Finds - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Shows 2-year Benefit for Progressive MS Patients in Phase 1 Trial - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - December 19th, 2020
- Dr Clarence Moore Discusses the Importance of Stem Cell Therapy, Heart Health in Beta Thalassemia - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- For Patients With HMA-Resistant MDS, What Are Their Options? - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 19th, 2020
- The Adrenomyeloneuropathy Treatment Market to grow on an emphatic note from 2019 to 2029 - PharmiWeb.com - December 19th, 2020
- Are Hiccups a Sign of the New Coronavirus? - Healthline - December 19th, 2020
- Every Patient Treated With CRISPR Gene Therapy for Blood Diseases Continues to Thrive, More Than a Year On - Good News Network - December 19th, 2020
- Therapeutic Solutions International Files Investigational New Drug Application (IND) with FDA for Treatment of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Using... - December 18th, 2020
- Physio Logic Brings Cutting-edge Regenerative Treatments for Sport Injuries and Arthritis to New York City - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2020
- AlloVir Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug Application for ALVR106, an Allogeneic, Off-the-Shelf, Multi-Virus Specific T Cell Therapy... - December 18th, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 18th, 2020
- Mesoblast shares fall on trials mixed results with heart injection treatment - Stockhead - December 18th, 2020