While AI may increase speed and efficiency of medical care on the front lines, one of its most powerful benefits is the ability to search vast amounts of data to learn about genetic aspects of various diseases.
Cardiomegaly Is An Enlargement Of The Heart Due To Dilatation Of The Heart Cavities. This Can Result ... [+] From Many Conditions Including A Disease Of The Heart Muscle Myocardial Disease, Defective Valve Function, Or Hypertrophy Of The Heart Muscle Due To Stenosis Of The Aortic Valve. Pericardial Effusion Fluid Collection In The Fibrous Envelope Of The Heart Can Also Lead To Considerable Cardiomegaly Visible On The X Ray. Left Untreated, Cardiomegaly Can Lead To Heart Failure Characterized By Dyspnea Difficulty Breathing And Edema Of The Lower Limbs. (Photo By BSIP/UIG Via Getty Images)
Earlier identification of persons at risk for heart failure or a genetic cardiomyopathy is a prime example. This could enable persons to be more closely monitored by health care providers and even placed on lists for transplant before they decompensate and develop heart failure leading to cardiogenic shock, which can be ultimately be fatal if not treated and identified in a timely fashion.
Researchers at Queen Mary University of London have now harnessed the power of AI to identify patients who are at risk for heart failure, enabling earlier identification, management and treatment of these high-risk individuals.
The research team used an artificial intelligence (AI) technique to analyze cardiac MRI images of 17,000 healthy UK Biobank volunteers. They noted that genetic factors accounted for 22-39% of variation in the size and function of the left ventricle (LV), the main chamber in the heart that pumps blood to the rest of the body. Reduced pumping ability and increase in size of the left ventricle leads to heart failure.
The research, recently published in the journalCirculation, highlights the importance of genetic factors and their role in the contribution to structural heart disease. The investigators discovered 14 specific areas (loci) linked to the dimensions, structure and function of the left ventricle containing genes that control the embryonic development of heart chambers and the contraction of heart muscle.
"It is exciting that the state-of-the-art AI techniques now allow rapid and accurate measurement of the tens of thousands of heart MRI images required for genetic studies, said lead researcher Dr. Nay Aung from Queen Mary University of London in a press release. The findings open up the possibility of earlier identification of those at risk of heart failure and of new targeted treatments; the genetic risk scores established from this study could be tested in future studies to create an integrated and personalized risk assessment tool for heart failure.
"The AI tool allowed us to analyze images in a fraction of the time it would otherwise have taken; this should translate to time and cost savings for the NHS and could potentially improve the efficiency of patient care, he added.
"Previous studies have shown that differences in the size and function of the heart are partly influenced by genes but we have not really understood the extent of that genetic influence,explained co-investigator Steffen Petersen, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine at Queen Mary University of London. This study has shown that several genes known to be important in heart failure also appear to regulate the heart size and function in healthy people.
That understanding of the genetic basis of heart structure and function in the general population improves our knowledge of how heart failure evolves; the study provides a blueprint for future genetic research involving the heart MRI images in the UK Biobank and beyond, he added.
"High fidelity MRI measures combined with genetics is reassuringly validating many known heart structural proteins, but our work also finds new genes from more heritable functional measures that are associated with ventricular remodeling and fibrosis, added co-investigator Patricia Munroe, Professor of Molecular Medicine at Queen Mary University of London. Further genetic studies including analyses of additional heart MRI chambers are expected to provide deeper insights into heart biology."
In fact, identification of specific genes that play a role in determining left ventricular volume, a key marker of survival in the setting of heart failure (resulting from LV remodeling in the setting of a cardiomyopathy), would be quite valuable. The advent of gene therapy, progenitor cell therapy (stem cells) and emerging molecular genetic approaches to address these genetic anomalies may offer promise.
With the expansion of the UK Biobank database, the expectation is that more genes for cardiac abnormalities will be notified in the future. In fact, UK Biobank announced earlier this month that it will begin sequencing the entire human genome of 450,000 participants, after success of a pilot sequencing trial in 50,000 participants.
- Novartis licenses phase 3 COVID-19 cell therapy from Mesoblast - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2020
- Benefits of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Advanced Myelodysplastic Syndromes - Hematology Advisor - November 22nd, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Your body may already have the answer to knee pain - WQAD.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Providing CAR T-Cell Therapy for Patients With DLBCL During COVID-19 - Targeted Oncology - November 22nd, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization - OrthoSpineNews - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - The Daily... - November 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19 | Size, Share & Latest Trends, Analysis Report by Manufacturers, Application, Type and... - November 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 impact of COVID-19 on Industry Size, Share, Global Analysis, Development Status, Regional Trends, Opportunity... - November 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies & Forecast up to 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 22nd, 2020
- gift of life marrow registry announces new center for cell and gene therapy - The Boca Raton Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Analysis, Key Company Profiles, Types, Applications and Forecast To 2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 22nd, 2020
- Increasing Progenitor Cell Proliferation in the Sub-Ventricular Zone: A Therapeutic Treatment for Progressive Multiple Sclerosis? - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem initiates phase I/IIa (pivotal) trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oNKord in patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) -... - November 22nd, 2020
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Continues to Expand to Support Development and Top Players: Magellan, Medipost Co.,... - November 22nd, 2020
- Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market: Rising awareness about rare diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - The Baytown Sun - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of COVID-19-progress and challenges - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to fill the growth bill in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Malaysia Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 - Eurowire - November 16th, 2020
- Addenbrooke's becomes first regional centre to offer CAR-T cell treatment for cancer patients - Cambridge Network - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells in therapy of coronavirus disease 2019 - a review - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Global cryotherapy market size to reach USD 6.72 billion by 2026 - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Future Growth Factors and Opportunities by 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends, Growth Insight, Share, Competitive Analysis, Statistics, Regional and Global Industry Forecast To 2025 - PRnews... - November 16th, 2020
- BeyondSpring Announces Positive Topline Results from its PROTECTIVE-2 Phase 3 Registrational Trial of Plinabulin in Combination with Pegfilgrastim for... - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market To See Massive Growth By 2027| Cryo-Save AG, StemCyte India Therapeutics, SMART CELLS PLUS, Vita 34, LifeCell - PRnews Leader - November 9th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 : Analysis of Expansion Strategy on Industry, Growth Factors and Expected CAGR Of Top Leaders, Upcoming... - November 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Esperite, Caladrius Biosciences, Via Cord, CBR... - November 9th, 2020
- Doctors Consider Convalescent T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - The Scientist - November 7th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Latest Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types and Applications 2020 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2020-2025 - Zenit News - November 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Size, Professional Survey, and Forecast to 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- The Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells market to grow in the wake of incorporation of the latest technology - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- Novel Targeted Drugs are Changing the Treatment of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - November 7th, 2020
- Equillium Announces Positive Interim Data of Itolizumab in the First-line Treatment of Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease - GlobeNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces New OTL-201 Clinical Data in Sanfilippo Syndrome Type A (MPS-IIIA) Accepted for Oral Presentation at 62nd American... - November 7th, 2020
- bluebird bio to Present Data from Gene and Cell Therapy Programs During the 62nd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition -... - November 7th, 2020
- Voters approve stem cell research bonds, but other health care measures defeated - State of Reform - State of Reform - November 5th, 2020
- Stem cells key to ALS therapy - Agoura Hills Acorn - November 5th, 2020
- Development and validation of a novel stem cell subtype for bladder cancer based on stem genomic profiling. - UroToday - November 5th, 2020
- New-onset Post-transplant Diabetes and Therapy in Long-term Survivors After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - DocWire News - November 5th, 2020
- Emerging Trends in Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Report 2020,Deeply Analyzes Share, Types, Applications and Future Demands by Key Players-... - November 5th, 2020
- Dr. Braunschweig on Selecting Between Transplant and CAR T-Cell Therapy in DLBCL - OncLive - November 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights Global Analysis and Forecast by (2020 2027) - The Think Curiouser - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Eurowire - November 5th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics' gene therapy Strimvelis linked to a leukemia case - FiercePharma - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Future Demand Analysis with Forecast 2020 to 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces that Janssen has Submitted a Type II Variation Application to the European Medicines Agency for use of Subcutaneous DARZALEX... - November 5th, 2020
- Actinium Announces Two Oral Presentations Featuring Data and Findings from the Phase 3 SIERRA Trial of Iomab-B at the 62nd American Society of... - November 5th, 2020
- CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Plenary Presentation at the 62nd American Society of Hematology... - November 5th, 2020
- Gamida Cell Announces Data to Be Presented at 62nd ASH Annual Virtual Meeting - Business Wire - November 5th, 2020
- XNK Therapeutics receives US orphan drug status for NK cell-based immunotherapy in multiple myeloma - BioSpace - November 5th, 2020
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market will Showcase Neutral Impact During 2020-2024 | Use of Biomass as a Fuel in Boiler to Boost Market Growth |... - November 5th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020-2026 Review, Key Findings, Growth Strategy, Developing Technologies, Trends And Global Forecast By Regions -... - November 5th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Trends, Share, Size, Consumption 2020 2026 | MediVet Biologic, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM,... - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Autism: Effects & Costs in 2020 - November 1st, 2020
- aHSCT Gets a Boost in US With NMSS Recommendations - Multiple Sclerosis News Today - November 1st, 2020
- Optimal Health: Cutting Edge Restorative Treatments Cityview - Knoxville City View - November 1st, 2020
- How pain changes your brain - News - The University of Sydney - November 1st, 2020
- Could an Imaging Test Predict How Well Youll Respond to a Stem Cell Transplant? - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Monitoring Growth Opportunities 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 31st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends Analysis Report by Application, Region (North America, South America, Asia, and Europe) and... - October 31st, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market: Market Growth Factors, Applications, Regional Analysis, Key Players and Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- What Are the Treatment Options When Lymphoma Returns? - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Philadelphia Based Company Wants to Bring Back the Dead With Stem Cells - Gilmore Health News - October 31st, 2020
- Next Steps: What to Do When the First Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment You Try Doesnt Work - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market | Growth Strategies Adopted By Top Key Players,Future Trends ,Application Worldwide And Assessment To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- Here's What Happens When Lab-Grown Mini-Lungs Are Exposed to SARS-CoV-2 - ScienceAlert - October 31st, 2020
- Effect of initial treatment on health-related quality of life in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma without immediate stem cell transplant... - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Applications and Regional Insights During the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - PRnews Leader - October 31st, 2020
- Innovations in the Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Field Likely to Aid the Growth of the Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018 to... - October 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Industry Opportunities with Investment Analysis By... - October 31st, 2020
- Cynata looking to revolutionise stem cell therapy - The West Australian - October 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: "Ending Disease" Documentary Explores How Stem Cell Therapy Aims to Cure the Incurable - Prevention.com - October 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Industry Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Aerospace Journal - October 28th, 2020
- Study: Poverty Linked to Higher Risk of Death Among Children with Cancer Undergoing Stem Cell Transplantation - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2020