By Maureen Salamon
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 1 (HealthDay News) -- Treating stroke patients with stem cells taken from their own bone marrow appears to safely help them regain some of their lost abilities, two small new studies suggest.
Indian researchers observed mixed results in the extent of stroke patients' improvements, with one study showing marked gains in daily activities, such as feeding, dressing and movement, and the other study noting these improvements to be statistically insignificant. But patients seemed to safely tolerate the treatments in both experiments with no ill effects, study authors said.
"The results are encouraging to know but we need a larger, randomized study for more definitive conclusions," said Dr. Rohit Bhatia, a professor of neurology at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, and author of one of the studies. "Many questions -- like timing of transplantation, type of cells, mode of transplantation, dosage [and] long-term safety -- need answers before it can be taken from bench to bedside."
The studies are scheduled to be presented Wednesday and Thursday at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting in New Orleans.
Stem cells -- unspecialized cells from bone marrow, umbilical cord blood or human embryos that can change into cells with specific functions -- have been explored as potential therapies for a host of diseases and conditions, including cancer and strokes.
In one of the current studies, 120 moderately affected stroke patients ranging from 18 to 75 years old were split into two groups, with half infused intravenously with stem cells harvested from their hip bones and half serving as controls. About 73 percent of the stem cell group achieved "assisted independence" after six months, compared with 61 percent of the control group, but the difference wasn't considered statistically significant.
In the other study, presented by Bhatia, 40 patients whose stroke occurred between three and 12 months prior were also split into two groups, with half receiving stem cells, which were dissolved in saline and infused over several hours. When compared to controls, stroke patients receiving stem cell therapy showed statistically significant improvements in feeding, dressing and mobility, according to the study. On functional MRI scans, the stem cell recipients also demonstrated an increase in brain activity in regions that control movement planning and motor function.
Neither study yielded adverse effects on patients, which could include tumor development.
But Dr. Matthew Fink, chief of the division of stroke and critical care neurology at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, said that the therapy's safety is the only thing the two studies seemed to demonstrate.
"The thing to keep in mind is that these are really phase one trials," said Fink, also a professor of neurology at Weill Cornell Medical College. "I'm concerned that people get the idea that now stem cell treatment is available for stroke, and that's not the case."
Fink noted that the cells taken from study participants' hip bones can only be characterized as "bone marrow aspirates" since the authors didn't prove that actual stem cells were extracted.
"They haven't really analyzed if they're stem cells and what they turn into when they go into circulation," he added. "The best way to look at this is, it's very preliminary . . . when patients come to me to talk about it, I'm going to tell them it's years away before we know if this is going to work."
Studies presented at scientific conferences should be considered preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health has more information on stem cells.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Stem cell therapy shows promise for stroke
- HBS and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from The Chris and Carrie Shumway Foundation to Support... - October 23rd, 2020
- Harnessing regeneration of retinal tissues: An option almost within reach - Ophthalmology Times - October 23rd, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' and Celyad's CAR therapies in oncology offer potential - pharmaceutical-technology.com - October 23rd, 2020
- World Wide Stem Cell Treatment Centers Provides Exceptional Regenerative Treatment Options To Those in Need - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Proposition 14: Stem cell research bonds City Times - City Times - October 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2020 and Provides a Corporate Update - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- How a UCSF team is giving Cronutt the sea lion a second chance with neuroscience - University of California - October 16th, 2020
- Caliber Pain is Featured as a 2020 Top NYC Patient Rated Pain Management Practice by Find Local Doctors - PR Web - October 10th, 2020
- Report of the president: Appointments and promotions | Stanford News - Stanford University News - October 10th, 2020
- UTSW Scientist: 'We Need More Women Thinking Creatively in the Lab and Pushing Science Forward' - dallasinnovates.com - October 10th, 2020
- Here's what is known about Trump's COVID-19 treatment - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Election Guide: Here's What You Need to Know About Proposition 14 - NBC Bay Area - October 4th, 2020
- ASX up 2.3%, banks and energy outperform - The Sydney Morning Herald - October 4th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies MARKET 2020 |INDUSTRY ANALYSIS, SIZE, SHARE, TRENDS, MARKET DEMAND, GROWTH, OPPORTUNITIES AND... - September 25th, 2020
- Finding The Achilles Heel of A Killer Parasite - Newswise - September 25th, 2020
- SHE Initiative Shines Light on Gender Disparities in Oncology Workforce - Targeted Oncology - September 25th, 2020
- Actinium Pharmaceuticals Successfully Completes First Dosing Cohort in the Phase 1 Study of Actimab-A and Venetoclax Combination Therapy in... - September 23rd, 2020
- Advances in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma are Greatly Improving the Long-Term Outlook for Patients - Curetoday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- CytoDyn's Phase 2 Study of Leronlimab for Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 Selected for Oral Presentation at the Special isirv-AVG Virtual Conference on... - September 23rd, 2020
- Opdivo (nivolumab) Demonstrated Superior Disease-Free Survival in Patients with Resected Esophageal or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer Compared to... - September 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Researchers Discover How COVID-19 May Trigger Fatal Levels of Lung Inflammation - SciTechDaily - September 21st, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Robert E. Windsor, MD, is being recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- City of Hope Enters Licensing Agreement With Chimeric to Develop Its Pioneering Chlorotoxin CAR T Cell Therapy - Business Wire - September 21st, 2020
- Emerging immunotherapies in multiple myeloma - The BMJ - September 21st, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Submits Biologics License Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for Loncastuximab Tesirine for Treatment of Relapsed... - September 21st, 2020
- Oakland 24-year-old seeking multiethnic bone marrow donor - The Jewish News of Northern California - September 21st, 2020
- First-Line Treatment With Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Doubled Five-Year Survival Rate (31.9%) Versus Chemotherapy (16.3%) in Certain Patients... - September 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus, Charity, and the Trolley Problem - Crooked - September 12th, 2020
- Targeted Approach Considered for the Treatment of Accelerated/Blast Phase MPNs - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- Royal Biologics Announces the Acquisition of FIBRINET - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2020
- Novel Targets Outside of JAK Inhibition Inching into Myelofibrosis Treatment Landscape - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma to Announce Clinical Data with its Lead Microbiota Biotherapeutic in Intestinal Acute GvHD at Virtual 46th Annual Meeting of the European... - August 28th, 2020
- The Inside Story Of Biotechs Barnum And His Covid Cures - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Mustang Bio: Slow, Steady Progress Towards Multiple Gene And CAR-T Therapy Goals - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2020
- Study sheds light on why retinal ganglion cells are vulnerable to glaucoma - Jill Lopez - August 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus Thursday update: UMN announces new stem cell treatment - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - August 15th, 2020
- Health and Fitness: Hip replacement surgery: getting back to what you love - taosnews - August 14th, 2020
- How MC Hammer And Other Performing Artists Are Sharing Their Love Of Science - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Chinese Govt-Compensated Experts Plead Guilty to Thieving Investigation From an American Childrens Medi ... - 90Xtra - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- Mesa Discusses Treating Myelofibrosis and Other MPNs - Targeted Oncology - August 7th, 2020
- Startup Accelerator: Volumetric Aims to Be the Tissue Bioprinting Farm of the Future - 3DPrint.com - August 6th, 2020
- Cord blood offers hope for rare diseases and ethnic minorities - The Province - August 6th, 2020
- FDA touts advanced manufacturing to address Covid-19 shortfalls - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Research Institute Awards $30.2 Million in Grants and Fellowships to Support Basic and Clinical Research in Immunology and Cancer Immunotherapy... - August 5th, 2020
- RenovaCare Appoints Dr. Lydia M. Evans to Its Board of Directors and Increases Board Membership - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2020
- Church Point Police Captain dies from COVID-19 complications: 'Go and protect the heavens, my dearest friend' - The Advocate - August 1st, 2020
- BMT survivor study finds significant breast cancer risk in young women who received total body irradiation - The Mix - July 31st, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Enhance Cognition in Healthy Older Adults - PsychCentral.com - July 29th, 2020
- The surprising recovery with stem cells of 26 COVID-19 patient in Hidalgo - Explica - July 29th, 2020
- Johnny Tabaie is proud to announce the most powerful Stem Cell Therapy - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 29th, 2020
- COVID-19 Fibroblast Based Cell Therapy Candidate Shown to Reduce Lung Scarring in Aggressive Animal Model - El Paso Inc. - July 25th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' process of stem cells may be the key to new regenerative therapies - 7thSpace Interactive - July 23rd, 2020
- R3 International Now Including Exosomes with Stem Cell Therapy Program for Autism in Mexico - PR Web - July 23rd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Offers Potential Solution for Relapse in MCL, But With Toxicity Risk - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2020
- Fine-tuning adoptive cell therapy for advanced cancers - Newswise - July 22nd, 2020
- Global Cart Cell Therapy Market To Grow At A CAGR of 29.4% With The Emergence Of Immunotherapies In Medical Treatment - GlobeNewswire - July 22nd, 2020
- In Remission for 10 Years: Long-term Data on CAR-T Therapy - Medscape - July 21st, 2020
- MRFR predicts an Upsurge in the Leukemia Therapeutics Market valuation to USD 10.7 billion by 2023 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- Cannabis Found Effective to Treat Sickle Cell Disease Pain - The Weed Blog - July 20th, 2020
- End of Palestinian Authority coordination with Israel in response to annexation threat: decision already impacting medical referrals - occupied... - July 20th, 2020
- Addiction Treatment Market Survey Report 2020 Stats and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- 13 Promising Covid Treatments Emerging from Israel - The Jewish Voice - July 15th, 2020
- New Clues from Fruit Flies about the Critical Role of Sex Hormones in Stem Cell Control - Newswise - July 15th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Preimplantation Genetic Testing Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Covid-19 Update : Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Outlook and Deep Study of Top Key Players Cryo-Save AG, Lifecell, StemCyte India Therapeutics... - July 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: California to release 8,000 inmates; masks 'only way' to prevent another shutdown, Texas Gov. says - USA TODAY - July 10th, 2020
- BCLI: KOL Event Gives Overview of the use of NurOwn in Alzheimer's Disease; Raising Valuation to $25/Share - Zacks Small Cap Research - July 10th, 2020
- Hammond police officer jumps at chance to donate stem cells - The Times of Northwest Indiana - July 8th, 2020
- Joint Study by Sunway University and Harvard Medical School Shows Gene Therapy Can Advance Cancer Treatment - QS WOW News - July 8th, 2020
- Astex Pharmaceuticals, Taiho Oncology, and Otsuka Pharmaceutical Announce FDA and Health Canada Approval of INQOVI (Decitabine and Cedazuridine)... - July 8th, 2020
- HRMC to open hematology and oncology clinic - The Ottawa Herald - June 29th, 2020
- Gift of Life, Root and Rutgers Researchers Launch COVID-19 Study - Patch.com - June 29th, 2020
- Obituaries in the Sunday and Monday Courier, June 28-29 - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - June 29th, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- New Preclinical Data Demonstrates Immune-Enhancing Effects of Triple I/O Combination Therapy with BeyondSpring's Plinabulin - GlobeNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- [Herald Interview] Spinning cord blood into stem cell therapies - The Korea Herald - June 22nd, 2020