Medipost CEO Yang Yoon-sun (Lim Jeong-yeo/The Korea Herald)
Her journey as a professor of pathology at Samsung Medical Center to head of a cord blood stem cell research company at the age of 37 came with prejudices, challenges and pitfalls, but also with encouragement, conviction and immense potential.
Cord blood is that inside the umbilical cord that connects the baby and mother, and can be ethically, and legally, procured after a babys birth. Despite containing one of the most potent types of stem cell and possibilities for vast medicinal repurposing, cord blood has often been discarded due to a lack of technology to refine it, Yang said.
In 2000, the concept of processing raw cord blood for stem cell therapies was still in a nascent stage across the world.
Soon Yang came to realize that research on cord blood should be approached commercially rather than academically to fast-track the development of consequential treatments.
The conviction was supported by her colleagues, and further fostered by a nationwide boom in startups.
Yang met obstetricians and gynecologists nationwide to help persuade laboring mothers to donate the otherwise unusable blood.
Medipost humbly started out in a rented laboratory of a Doosan Group research facility in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, on June 26, 2000.
The company soon got listed on Koreas tech-heavy secondary bourse Kosdaq in 2005. In 2019, the company posted roughly 45.8 billion won ($37.9 million) in revenue with a net loss of over 14.1 billion won.
Medipost now operates from a self-owned building with 14 levels in the biocluster of Pangyo, Seongnam in Gyeonggi Province. Some 200 full-time employees work for Medipost, with entities strewn in global locations such as the US, China and Japan.
It has seven subsidiaries, three of which are Medipost America, Shandong Orlife Pharmaceutical and Evastem Corp., located overseas in the US, China and Japan, respectively.
Medipost, the embodiment of Yangs visions, has three business pillars: its cord blood bank, cell therapy developments and health supplements.
The companys main revenue source is the cord blood bank, where over 259,000 children have their cord blood stored, with more being added. It roughly costs around 1.4 million won to store a vial containing cord blood for 15 years, and 4 million won to store it for a lifetime.
Celltree cord blood bank (Medipost)
Most recently, Winter Sonata actor Choi Ji-woo decided to store the cord blood of her first daughter, whom she gave birth to at age 45.
It was not always a smooth ride, as soon after the companys initial public offering, there broke out the ethical scandal of embryonic stem cell research that clouded the general perception of stem cell research in the public eye. More than once the companys revenue has taken a dive of 50 percent.
However, Yang has no regrets.
As for me, every step was an unexpected challenge and overcoming each hardship taught me to be prepared for anything to maintain business stability, Yang said in an interview with The Korea Herald.
Cord blood, Yang said, is an immune response-safe therapeutic insurance in case the children and their families face incurable diseases such as leukemia, refractory anemia, immune disorders, cerebral palsy, developmental disorders or various forms of cancer.
If the babys cord blood is used to treat the same baby, it would be called an autologous therapy. If used for another family member, that is an allogenic therapy.
Cartistem, an allogenic osteoarthritis treatment that was approved by the local Drug Ministry in 2012, is the next biggest contributor to Mediposts business growth, as well as a balm to the knee problems of seniors.
Celltree cord blood bank (Medipost)
Cartistem is a stem cell therapeutic agent for cartilage regeneration crafted from Mediposts pool of research-purpose cord blood. Once surgically applied to the affected region, the drug has been successful in triggering regrowth of knee cartilage in 98 percent of the 103 patients treated in clinical phase 3 trials.
Medipost counts over 16,000 patients who have so far benefited from the use of Cartistem in the eight years the drug has been in service. It is prescribed at some 550 hospitals here.
The therapy has currently finished clinical phase 1 and 2a trials in the US to launch there, and is pending phase 2 clinical trials in Japan with aims to start tests in July. As it would require a great volume of funding to carry out wide-scale clinical phase 3 trials in the US, it might be Japan where Cartistem launches first, Yang said.
SK Bioland, an SK Group subsidiary, in-licensed Cartistems indication for ankle joint inflammation at end-2019 to carry out clinical phase 3 trials and have full domestic rights to the drugs use for ankle therapy.
Other than Cartistem, Medipost has Pneumostem, Neurostem and SMUP-Cell injections under developments.
Pneumostem is a stem cell therapy for prematurely born babies lung fibrosis. Unlike adult lung fibrosis, which has numerous causes and is sometimes isolated, newborn babies lung problems have a singular cause and therefore a clearer path of tackling it.
Pneumostem is undergoing clinical phase 2 trials in Korea and has completed phase 1 and 2 clinical trials in the US. It has been designated by the US Food and Drug Administration and the European Medicines Agency as an orphan drug, granting it government assistance as it would otherwise prove unprofitable due to its limited scope, and it has the FDAs fast track designation. Once its efficacy is proved, it may attempt to expand Penumostems indications to other forms of lung inflammation, including COVID-19, Yang said.
Neurostem is a proposed Alzheimers disease stem cell therapy. It is believed to promote the degradation of beta-amyloid, and accumulation in the brain is believed to cause Alzheimers-type dementia. The pipeline has completed phase 1 and 2a clinical trials in Korea, and has been cleared for the FDAs phase 1 and 2 investigational new drug application.
SMUP-Cell, an injectable type innovative knee joint treatment, saves patients the trouble of undergoing intrusive surgery. Medipost has finished administrating the cell therapy to the first round of clinical phase 1 trials and has begun the five-year tracking of patients progress. If the drug makes it to commercial stage, it would be a groundbreaking solution for patients of joint inflammation who are in pain, but not at the stage yet to go under the knife.
At its basement in Pangyo, Medipost has enough space to install more cord blood tanks to last the next 20 years.
Our only goal should be to provide stem cell regenerative therapy to patients whose predicament previously had no life-extending solution. If we save one patient -- while to us it may just be one person, it is 100 percent to the patient themselves. That is our step-by-step approach, said Yang.
By Lim Jeong-yeo (email@example.com)
- Study Finds Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Treatment of AL Amyloidosis - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- New Virtual Reality Tool, Domestic Cats are SARS-CoV-2 Carriers, Combination Therapy Advances: COVID-19 Updates - Bio-IT World - November 22nd, 2020
- SEE | Smoking worsens Covid-19 infection in the airways, new study reveals - Health24 - November 22nd, 2020
- Could Cell Therapy Be The Answer To COVID-19? - CBS Boston - November 3rd, 2020
- CA Prop 14 Explained: What To Know Before You Vote Election Day - Los Angeles, CA Patch - November 3rd, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market Predicted to Accelerate the Growth by 2019-2029 - TechnoWeekly - November 3rd, 2020
- Making Progress Against Relapsed/ Refractory DLBCL Without CAR T - OncLive - November 3rd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Host Virtual R&D Investor Event on Friday, November 13, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Editorial Article: Combating cancer: The incubation technology accelerating CAR-T cell therapy development - SelectScience - October 31st, 2020
- Richters Transformation: When a Slow-Growing Cancer Turns Aggressive - SurvivorNet - October 31st, 2020
- Detroit Pistons, Make-A-Wish put a smile on the face of Commerce Township boy - The Oakland Press - October 31st, 2020
- NexImmune Establishes Research Initiative with City of Hope to Focus on Novel Immunotherapeutic Approaches to Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2020
- HBS and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from The Chris and Carrie Shumway Foundation to Support... - October 23rd, 2020
- Harnessing regeneration of retinal tissues: An option almost within reach - Ophthalmology Times - October 23rd, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics' and Celyad's CAR therapies in oncology offer potential - pharmaceutical-technology.com - October 23rd, 2020
- World Wide Stem Cell Treatment Centers Provides Exceptional Regenerative Treatment Options To Those in Need - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Proposition 14: Stem cell research bonds City Times - City Times - October 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2020 and Provides a Corporate Update - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- How a UCSF team is giving Cronutt the sea lion a second chance with neuroscience - University of California - October 16th, 2020
- Caliber Pain is Featured as a 2020 Top NYC Patient Rated Pain Management Practice by Find Local Doctors - PR Web - October 10th, 2020
- Report of the president: Appointments and promotions | Stanford News - Stanford University News - October 10th, 2020
- UTSW Scientist: 'We Need More Women Thinking Creatively in the Lab and Pushing Science Forward' - dallasinnovates.com - October 10th, 2020
- Here's what is known about Trump's COVID-19 treatment - Science Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Election Guide: Here's What You Need to Know About Proposition 14 - NBC Bay Area - October 4th, 2020
- ASX up 2.3%, banks and energy outperform - The Sydney Morning Herald - October 4th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies MARKET 2020 |INDUSTRY ANALYSIS, SIZE, SHARE, TRENDS, MARKET DEMAND, GROWTH, OPPORTUNITIES AND... - September 25th, 2020
- Finding The Achilles Heel of A Killer Parasite - Newswise - September 25th, 2020
- SHE Initiative Shines Light on Gender Disparities in Oncology Workforce - Targeted Oncology - September 25th, 2020
- Actinium Pharmaceuticals Successfully Completes First Dosing Cohort in the Phase 1 Study of Actimab-A and Venetoclax Combination Therapy in... - September 23rd, 2020
- Advances in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma are Greatly Improving the Long-Term Outlook for Patients - Curetoday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- CytoDyn's Phase 2 Study of Leronlimab for Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 Selected for Oral Presentation at the Special isirv-AVG Virtual Conference on... - September 23rd, 2020
- Opdivo (nivolumab) Demonstrated Superior Disease-Free Survival in Patients with Resected Esophageal or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer Compared to... - September 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Researchers Discover How COVID-19 May Trigger Fatal Levels of Lung Inflammation - SciTechDaily - September 21st, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Robert E. Windsor, MD, is being recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- City of Hope Enters Licensing Agreement With Chimeric to Develop Its Pioneering Chlorotoxin CAR T Cell Therapy - Business Wire - September 21st, 2020
- Emerging immunotherapies in multiple myeloma - The BMJ - September 21st, 2020
- ADC Therapeutics Submits Biologics License Application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for Loncastuximab Tesirine for Treatment of Relapsed... - September 21st, 2020
- Oakland 24-year-old seeking multiethnic bone marrow donor - The Jewish News of Northern California - September 21st, 2020
- First-Line Treatment With Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Doubled Five-Year Survival Rate (31.9%) Versus Chemotherapy (16.3%) in Certain Patients... - September 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus, Charity, and the Trolley Problem - Crooked - September 12th, 2020
- Targeted Approach Considered for the Treatment of Accelerated/Blast Phase MPNs - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- Royal Biologics Announces the Acquisition of FIBRINET - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2020
- Novel Targets Outside of JAK Inhibition Inching into Myelofibrosis Treatment Landscape - Targeted Oncology - September 1st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma to Announce Clinical Data with its Lead Microbiota Biotherapeutic in Intestinal Acute GvHD at Virtual 46th Annual Meeting of the European... - August 28th, 2020
- The Inside Story Of Biotechs Barnum And His Covid Cures - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Mustang Bio: Slow, Steady Progress Towards Multiple Gene And CAR-T Therapy Goals - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2020
- Study sheds light on why retinal ganglion cells are vulnerable to glaucoma - Jill Lopez - August 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus Thursday update: UMN announces new stem cell treatment - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - August 15th, 2020
- Health and Fitness: Hip replacement surgery: getting back to what you love - taosnews - August 14th, 2020
- How MC Hammer And Other Performing Artists Are Sharing Their Love Of Science - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- Chromosomal Rearrangements Associated with Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance | McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Chinese Govt-Compensated Experts Plead Guilty to Thieving Investigation From an American Childrens Medi ... - 90Xtra - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- Mesa Discusses Treating Myelofibrosis and Other MPNs - Targeted Oncology - August 7th, 2020
- Startup Accelerator: Volumetric Aims to Be the Tissue Bioprinting Farm of the Future - 3DPrint.com - August 6th, 2020
- Cord blood offers hope for rare diseases and ethnic minorities - The Province - August 6th, 2020
- FDA touts advanced manufacturing to address Covid-19 shortfalls - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Research Institute Awards $30.2 Million in Grants and Fellowships to Support Basic and Clinical Research in Immunology and Cancer Immunotherapy... - August 5th, 2020
- RenovaCare Appoints Dr. Lydia M. Evans to Its Board of Directors and Increases Board Membership - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2020
- Church Point Police Captain dies from COVID-19 complications: 'Go and protect the heavens, my dearest friend' - The Advocate - August 1st, 2020
- BMT survivor study finds significant breast cancer risk in young women who received total body irradiation - The Mix - July 31st, 2020
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Enhance Cognition in Healthy Older Adults - PsychCentral.com - July 29th, 2020
- The surprising recovery with stem cells of 26 COVID-19 patient in Hidalgo - Explica - July 29th, 2020
- Johnny Tabaie is proud to announce the most powerful Stem Cell Therapy - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 29th, 2020
- COVID-19 Fibroblast Based Cell Therapy Candidate Shown to Reduce Lung Scarring in Aggressive Animal Model - El Paso Inc. - July 25th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' process of stem cells may be the key to new regenerative therapies - 7thSpace Interactive - July 23rd, 2020
- R3 International Now Including Exosomes with Stem Cell Therapy Program for Autism in Mexico - PR Web - July 23rd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Offers Potential Solution for Relapse in MCL, But With Toxicity Risk - Targeted Oncology - July 22nd, 2020
- Fine-tuning adoptive cell therapy for advanced cancers - Newswise - July 22nd, 2020
- Global Cart Cell Therapy Market To Grow At A CAGR of 29.4% With The Emergence Of Immunotherapies In Medical Treatment - GlobeNewswire - July 22nd, 2020
- In Remission for 10 Years: Long-term Data on CAR-T Therapy - Medscape - July 21st, 2020
- MRFR predicts an Upsurge in the Leukemia Therapeutics Market valuation to USD 10.7 billion by 2023 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- Cannabis Found Effective to Treat Sickle Cell Disease Pain - The Weed Blog - July 20th, 2020
- End of Palestinian Authority coordination with Israel in response to annexation threat: decision already impacting medical referrals - occupied... - July 20th, 2020
- Addiction Treatment Market Survey Report 2020 Stats and Forecasts to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- 13 Promising Covid Treatments Emerging from Israel - The Jewish Voice - July 15th, 2020
- New Clues from Fruit Flies about the Critical Role of Sex Hormones in Stem Cell Control - Newswise - July 15th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Preimplantation Genetic Testing Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020