http://www.lasalle.ca By Adelle LoiselleSeptember 28, 2019 6:00am
Among the people taking part in this weekends Myeloma March in LaSalle, is Jennifer Radjenovich. She is doing it for her father.
Guido Vetorello was given just three years to live after he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, but four years later he continues to do what he loves; play with his grandchildren, watch baseball, and travel with his wife.
Trouble started in 2015 when he was treated for anemia when he could not shake unusual fatigue. Unfortunately, the treatments did not work, and his family feared something else was wrong with him.
They were right.
Blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy came back positive for the life-threatening blood cancer affecting plasma cells.
Multiple myeloma or just myeloma is the second most common form of blood cancer. A release from the organizers of this years march said eight Canadians are diagnosed with it every day, and as of yet, doctors do not know what causes it, and there is no cure.
Like Guido, those with the disease can experience fatigue, but also excessive thirst, bone pain, numbness in the legs, nausea, and weight loss.
Unfortunately, Guido did not qualify for a stem cell transplant. Doctors decided it was too risky, but a new drug treatment looked promising, and they were right.
These days, Guido is relatively stable and has exceeded his doctors expectations. Although he undergoes chemotherapy treatments weekly, he is still around to watch his grandchildren grow.
My dad looks forward to going to his treatments every week because he knows they are giving him more time, said Jennifer Vettorello. In the four years since he was diagnosed, the research has been incredible with so many new treatment options available to patients. It gives me real hope that will be with us for some time.
The Vettorello family will be at the Vollmer Culture and Recreation Complex in LaSalle Sunday morning when the ninth annual march gets underway at 9 a.m.
Fundraising, which supports research, has helped almost double the lives of patients in the past 15 years.
Dr Sindu Kanjeekal, the Multiple Myeloma Clinical and Research Lead at the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre, said life expectancies are continuing on an upward trend.
Were now seeing incredibly promising treatment options that are helping us to stay ahead of the disease, he said. For the first time, we can actually say that were getting closer to finding a cure. Investing in research is critical, which is why raising funds is more important than ever.
Windsor-Essex is one of 28 communities across the country taking part in this years march.
The goal this year is $40,000, but across the country, marches are trying to raise $550,000.
- Global Regenerative Group Enters Into Distribution Partnership with Aurafix & Remodem - Benzinga - November 9th, 2019
- VIDEO: Cancer survivor meets the donor who saved his life at a runDisney event - Inside the Magic - November 9th, 2019
- Can mfines Hospital Network Bridge The Gaps In Indias Healthcare Delivery Systems - Inc42 Media - November 9th, 2019
- Making a Better Baby - Vision Insights and New Horizons - November 9th, 2019
- Arizona the "wild west" of stem cell therapy; experts say promising therapy ripe for exploitation - ABC15 Arizona - November 6th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy giving disabled, elderly pets a second chance at life - CW39 - November 6th, 2019
- Edmond 2-year-old fights big battle inside his tiny body - KFOR Oklahoma City - November 6th, 2019
- New Podcast Sponsored by Asymmetrex Increases Awareness to the Need for Stem Cell Dose in Stem Cell Treatments - PR Web - November 6th, 2019
- Growing Human Organs In A Lab: As Scientists Develop Pathbreaking Three-Organ System, Heres All You Need To Know - Swarajya - November 6th, 2019
- Toddler's clinginess turned out to be cancer which parents discovered on Google - Mirror Online - November 5th, 2019
- Toddler's clinginess turned out to be cancer which parents discovered on Google - Irish Mirror - November 3rd, 2019
- Docs said our toddler was just clingy but we learned the truth on Google it was cancer - The Sun - November 3rd, 2019
- Family's tribute to 'brave and loving' Oliver Brown who has died aged 11 - Devon Live - November 3rd, 2019
- In June, FDA announced a patient died from a fecal transplant. Now the doctors are speaking out. - The Daily Briefing - November 2nd, 2019
- 'Any One of Us' Is More Than an Inspirational Film - Outside - November 2nd, 2019
- Parents of Thalassemia-affected siblings seek Kochiites assistance - The New Indian Express - November 2nd, 2019
- Brooks Koepka not in the field at the WGC-HSBC Champions, status of his knee injury remains unclear - Golf Digest - October 28th, 2019
- Mapi Announces First Patient Enrolled in the Phase III Clinical Trial of GA Depot for Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (RMS) - BioSpace - October 28th, 2019
- Baby dies from AML, the same cancer his identical twin has - TODAY - October 28th, 2019
- Heartbreaking story of leukaemia 'guinea pig' children confined to isolation rooms - Mirror Online - October 28th, 2019
- Justin Thomas, Danny Lee tied for 3rd-round lead at CJ Cup - Sports and Weather Right Now - October 21st, 2019
- Infanticide in US Abortion Mills - Church Militant - October 19th, 2019
- Sunny days and chilly nights this weekend - WMTW Portland - October 19th, 2019
- 3 siblings with rare, life-threatening blood disorder in need of bone marrow transplants CNN - WBAL Baltimore - October 19th, 2019
- Storms expected to finish the weekend - KCCI Des Moines - October 19th, 2019
- Update on the latest sports - FOX5 Las Vegas - October 19th, 2019
- Selma Blair Went Through Chemotherapy for MS Treatment and Was Told to Make Plans for Death - Parade - October 19th, 2019
- How Young India is fuelling the future of stem cell therapy and signing up to save lives - YourStory - October 19th, 2019
- Clinic helps women have babies after cancer - WNDU-TV - October 19th, 2019
- Holy Name clinical trial tests the healing power of stem cells - NJTV News - October 19th, 2019
- Fit and healthy teacher dies 20 days after discovering he had leukaemia at 33 - The Sun - October 19th, 2019
- Eurecon Verlag GmbH: 20th Pharma Trend Image & Innovation Awards The Winners and Runner-ups - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- World Cord Blood Day 2019 to Welcome Leading Transplant Doctors and Pioneering Cellular Therapy Researchers - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2019
- Sarah Ferguson admits shes had Botox, TWO types of facelift and vitamin injections in a bid to stay youthful - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- A Doctor Plumbs The Depths Of Ivan Doig's Illness And Asks: 'Did He Have An Epiphany?' - Mountain Journal - October 10th, 2019
- Campaign to save five-year-old cancer sufferer has become one of the fastest online charity appeals EVER - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- Six people with links to UCLH listed among most influential people in London - University College London Hospitals - October 10th, 2019
- WWE Hall Of Famer Edge returning to the ring? - Wrestling News - October 4th, 2019
- Out of this world: Zionsville doctor sends osteoblast cells into space to study drug effects - Current in Carmel - October 4th, 2019
- Digital health, Unicorns and what the smart money is chasing - BizNews - October 4th, 2019
- Leesport boy fighting a second battle with cancer - Reading Eagle - October 3rd, 2019
- Man with terminal cancer battles back from coma to marry his childhood sweetheart - Mirror Online - October 3rd, 2019
- 2 Years Later, Retired Toms River Teacher Meets Bone Marrow Donor - wobm.com - October 3rd, 2019
- Middlesbrough blood donor meets man she saved in Germany - The Northern Echo - October 2nd, 2019
- Taz Believes CM Punk Will Be At SmackDown On Fox Thinks Edge Could Pop Up On AEW Or SmackDown - Fightful - October 2nd, 2019
- Kevin Mwachiro: Keeper of Stories - Roads and Kingdoms - October 2nd, 2019
- Mansfield's Daniel Maberry has returned to coaching during battle with cancer, but his stay on sideline will be brief - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2019
- Eyes on the Prize: The CBC Fights Blindness During Sickle Cell Awareness Month - The Root - September 25th, 2019
- What's on TV Monday: The season premiere of 'Bull' on CBS - Los Angeles Times - September 25th, 2019
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Excessive Growth Opportunities Estimated to be Experienced 2018 to 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 25th, 2019
- Forecasting the Future of Medicine - The Future of Things - September 25th, 2019
- 'My blood brother:' Bone marrow donation started a friendship - Ottawa Citizen - September 25th, 2019
- Abortion Foe Defends Secret Taping as Investigative Work - Courthouse News Service - September 22nd, 2019
- Cancer is 'only a word,' says Moncton city councillor diagnosed with multiple myeloma - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Avoidable blindness: making global sight loss a thing of the past - Raconteur - September 22nd, 2019
- I turned down chemo after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and lived then I became pregnant after d - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Football Players? Or Lab Rats Who Can Run and Pass? - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Daleiden: sworn testimony exposed Planned Parenthoods crime of trafficking aborted-baby body-parts - Lifesite - September 22nd, 2019
- Mum's tireless campaign as daughter, 2, is kept alive by blood donors - Yahoo News Australia - September 22nd, 2019
- 3-day blood drive in Bathurst supports toddler with rare disease - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Bone marrow donor from Germany becomes recipient's maid of honour - DNA India - September 22nd, 2019
- Tumor Marker Testing Market Size, Growth, Trends and 2023 Forecast Report - OnYourDesks - September 22nd, 2019
- Im pleading with you please donate blood to help save my baby girl without it shell die - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Tecumseh girl still looking for bone marrow donor - BlackburnNews.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market research to Exhibit Significant Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2016-2026 - Analytics News - September 22nd, 2019
- Leukemia: Know the risk factors to keep the disease at bay - TheHealthSite - September 22nd, 2019
- NI teen's devastating cancer diagnosis days after dream Taylor Swift trip - Belfast Live - September 22nd, 2019
- Buy PRP Kits & Stem Cell Therapy Supplies for Regenerative ... - May 21st, 2019
- LifeCell - India's First and Largest Stem Cell Bank - May 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Auburn Novi MI| Chronic knee pain doctors in Auburn Novi - May 15th, 2019
- Doctors used stem cells to treat stroke symptoms ... - May 15th, 2019
- Elite Hospitals Plunge Into Unproven Stem Cell Treatments ... - May 12th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story | Spinal Cord Injury | SCRF - May 12th, 2019
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Plymouth | Stem cell hip Regeneration Hip Doctor Plymouth MI - May 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | New York - Park Avenue Stem Cell - April 15th, 2019
- Ask the doctors: Stem cell therapies need more research ... - April 13th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn | stem cell knee injections in Dearborn - April 13th, 2019
- Sports & Regenerative Medicine Specialist, Stem Cell ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Delaware, Stem cell injections, Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Meet Our Doctors | National Stem Cell Centers | NY Stem ... - April 13th, 2019