A 26-year-old man told he had just 12 months to live pushed his wedding forward to marry the love of his life.
Dan Cassidy, from Accrington, was diagnosed with aggressive strain of leukaemia in March this year.
He had many things he wanted to do before he died, the the most important one was wedding his soul-mate Darcy Young.
The couple had been together 10 years and were able to push their wedding forward to tie the knot in July after they learned of Dan's tragic terminal cancer diagnosis.
"It was a perfect day," Dan told LancsLive .
"I wasn't feeling too good on the day, I don't know if that was the cancer or the nerves.
"I still had a great time but I couldn't be myself."
Dan was previously diagnosed with cancer in 2016 when he started to feel unwell while at a friend's barbeque.
He said: "I tried to stand up to go to the toilet and I just couldn't. I kept feeling a pain down my legs.
"My friend's wanted me to go out with them but once I was in the taxi I had to go back, I was in so much pain."
He continued: "We went to the hospital the next day and I was told I had leukaemia."
The doctor said that Dan had probably had the condition for two years and that the pain he was experiencing was from his white blood cells fighting aggressively against the cancer.
"He was in so much agony," said Darcy.
"He had dialysis to clean the blood but, whether it was the procedure or not, that caused him to have a bleed on the brain.
"He was transferred to Blackburn hospital and was put into an induced coma."
Things got worse for Dan as the doctors had to cease his cancer treatment while they dealt with the bleed.
But somehow he pulled through.
Following another bleed, brain surgery, strokes, rounds of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, Dan had a stem cell transplant from his mum and was discharged.
"Just before Christmas 2016, I came out of hospital," he said.
"Everything was working fine, I was feeling better and the cancer was in remission."
It was at this point that the 26-year-old decided that he wanted to ask Darcy a special question.
He said: "We have been together for 10 years, so we were due to get married.
"Obviously after I got out of hospital I just thought: life is so short."
Dan took Darcy to her grandparents' favourite place, Shireburn Arms, for a meal while her family decorated her room in secret.
He then gave her a box of chocolates with the words: 'Will you marry me?' iced onto them.
"He asked with chocolates," said Darcy.
"Thats how he asked me to be his girlfriend when I was 15."
The couple planned to marry in November 2019 and Dan continued to have regular check ups every three months.
In March this year Dan came out in a rash and was later told by a doctor that his cancer had returned.
"At the next appointment they said it had come back really aggressively," said Dan.
"They told me I had 12 months to live, that everyone that has had this before doesn't live past 12 months."
Darcy says the consultant was crying when she delivered the news to them.
"It didn't give us much hope," she said.
"She must have to deliver news like that all the time. I think I was in denial at first, I just thought: this can't be happening again."
Once Dan got his diagnosis the wedding became the main focus for the couple and they tied the knot in Clitheroe, in front of their family and friends.
Darcy said: "I didn't know if he would make it to the wedding but he did and it was so lovely.
"It was amazing to have all of our family and friends there to celebrate.
"All the venues and all the businesses we wanted to use made it happen for us - we couldn't ask for anything more."
The couple now live together with their dog Teddy, they are trying to enjoy the present day.
Darcy said: "We just want to seize the moment, every minute we can."
The couple want to share their story in the hope that more people will become aware of leukaemia and sign up to stem cell donor lists.
They continue to raise money for the charity Anthony Nolan who keep a register of stem cell donors.
View original post here:
Man with terminal cancer battles back from coma to marry his childhood sweetheart - Mirror Online
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Arya Lloyd: Father launches global search for blood stem cell donor to save his 12-year-old daughter - Sky News - November 20th, 2020
- Blood Cancer: Science Reveal Five Easily Missed Signs of Leukemia - Science Times - November 20th, 2020
- Karnataka:Community cord blood banking emerges as lifesaver - United News of India - November 18th, 2020
- How CAR-T Cell Therapy is Being Used in the Field of Blood Cancer Treatment - Curetoday.com - November 16th, 2020
- Election results for California Propositions 14, 18, 23, and 24 - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 16th, 2020
- Cell Separation Beads Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2028 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 16th, 2020
- Fight for the rights of unborn - The Daily Telegram - November 11th, 2020
- Genetic Mechanism Identified in Neonatal Diabetes Could Offer Insights into Other Forms of the Disease - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - November 11th, 2020
- Doctors Debate: Is Intensive or Low-Intensity Chemotherapy Plus BCR-ABL TKI Therapy Best for Treatment of Ph+ ALL? - Targeted Oncology - November 11th, 2020
- Record number of stem cell donors apply after Ex On The Beach star plea - expressandstar.com - November 11th, 2020
- Bisbee: A commitment to health care initiatives The Journal Record - Journal Record - November 11th, 2020
- California election results: Where state propositions stand as of Thursday at 5 p.m. - Desert Sun - November 11th, 2020
- Critically ill Indonesian woman thanks Taiwan for saving life - Taiwan News - November 7th, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present New Research on Bone Marrow Transplants, Immunotherapy and Other Blood Cancer Treatments - Business Wire - November 7th, 2020
- Daily Edition for Wednesday, November 4, 2020 - California Healthline - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're truly blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his recent fight to save his brother, Eric - ESPN - November 7th, 2020
- 'We're really blood brothers' - Stanford coach David Shaw and his current battle to save lots of his brother, Eric - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 7th, 2020
- Mark Drought: Are we on the brink of another civil war? - The Advocate - November 7th, 2020
- What to eat when you have the flu, recommended by doctors - Business Insider India - October 30th, 2020
- Fine-Tuning Treatments for COVID-19 - American Council on Science and Health - October 30th, 2020
- Aborted girl fetus kidneys made Trumps CoV meds. As SARS2 is unfettered in America, this needs thought - Feminine-Perspective Magazine (FPMag) - October 30th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Provisional Ballots May Play Role - Bloomberg Government - October 30th, 2020
- Unless the country invests in cancer care, the statistics for breast cancer will be bleak: Dr Anthony Pais, .. - ETHealthworld.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Autologous Fat Grafting Market Scope Analysis 2019 to 2029 - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- How Clinique La Prairie Is Keeping Humanity Fashionably Healthy In The Age Of Covid - Forbes - October 23rd, 2020
- The Anthony Nolan and NHS Stem Cell Registry - The Hippocratic Post - October 21st, 2020
- Jeff Bridges is one of the 85,000-plus lymphoma cases expected in the U.S. this year - MarketWatch - October 21st, 2020
- YOUR HEALTH: Saving an unborn baby breaking apart in the womb - WQAD.com - October 21st, 2020
- Orgenesis completes acquisition of Koligo Therapeutics and announces additional acquisition of Icellator(R) Technology from Tissue Genesis in related... - October 21st, 2020
- SA becomes 2nd country to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to donate bone marrow - News24 - October 21st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2025 KYT24 - KYT24 - October 21st, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani shares his insights about the evolution of plastic surgery - LA Progressive - October 21st, 2020
- Manya Saaraswat Makes Top 5 Finish in 2020 Miss World America Competition, Three Other Indian Americans in Top 10 - India West - October 21st, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - LubbockOnline.com - October 15th, 2020
- Mohammed Hussain Alqahtani Discusses the Future of Plastic Surgery - The Jerusalem Post - October 15th, 2020
- The story of how a biotech co. came to the aid of an ill 9-year-old boy - Stockhouse - October 15th, 2020
- Where Amy Coney Barrett Stands on IVF - Glamour - October 15th, 2020
- Regeneron, Trump, and the alleged hypocrisy of the pro-life movement - Christian Post - October 15th, 2020
- Life Sciences - a year to remember - Lexology - October 15th, 2020
- Proposition 14: With Handful of Cures, Calif. Stem Cell Agency Has Mixed Record. Will Voters Pony Up Another $5.5 Billion? - KQED - October 8th, 2020
- Woman who lost her partner to cancer last year set to run 10K in his memory - Warrington Guardian - October 8th, 2020
- Different Types of Childhood Cancer | INTEGRIS - Integris - October 3rd, 2020
- A perfect match: Bone marrow transplant saves twin brother's life. Now their family pays it forward - 11Alive.com WXIA - October 3rd, 2020
- Baby whose nosebleeds turned out to be deadly condition saved by stranger - Mirror Online - October 3rd, 2020
- Over 40 lakh people in Telangana have developed COVID-19 antibodies: Health Minister Eatala - The New Indian Express - October 3rd, 2020
- Coming of Age: New Research Efforts are Improving Treatment of Childhood Blood Cancers - Curetoday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- World Rose Day 2020: History and significance of the welfare of cancer patients - Hindustan Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Guide to Voting on Propositions and the City of San Bernardino's Measure S - Black Voice News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blood Cancer Awareness Month 2020 - Everyday Health - September 23rd, 2020
- CARLTON FLETCHER: McConnell is the poster boy for sleazy, partisan politics - The Albany Herald - September 23rd, 2020
- Faith for the fight: Neosho teen deals with rare combination of illnesses - Joplin Globe - September 21st, 2020
- RCSI partnership aims to advance predictive tests for common blood cancer - Siliconrepublic.com - September 21st, 2020
- Odessa woman hopes to gain back her sight after 6 years of being blind - NewsWest9.com - September 19th, 2020
- The Holistic Sanctuary Announces Exciting Plans to Expand Over Next 4 Years and Save More Lives - thepress.net - September 19th, 2020
- Highland family from Alness pleads for potential donors to come forward to help ill toddler - Inverness Courier - September 19th, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Treatment Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Application, Type, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 8th, 2020
- Editorial: UT Health's new teaching hospital will boost region - Laredo Morning Times - September 6th, 2020
- Mum's message to the complete stranger who saved her son's life - LincolnshireLive - September 6th, 2020
- Important to balance benefits of cancer-related care with risks related to COVID-19: Dr Hari Menon - Express Healthcare - September 6th, 2020
- Be The Match Presents "Sickle Cell Connect" Virtual Event Series To Raise Awareness Of Treatment Options And Marrow Transplants As A Cure... - September 5th, 2020
- Betty Lin-Fisher: Men, take care of your health - Akron Beacon Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Seniors suffer the most from antiquated FDA approval process | TheHill - The Hill - September 5th, 2020
- Father of Three with Incurable Cancer is Helping Researchers Get One Step Closer to a Cure - The Suburban Newspaper - September 5th, 2020
- There is a dire need for 'donors of colour' in the fight against blood disorders - Health24 - September 5th, 2020
- Editorial: UT Healths new teaching hospital will boost region - San Antonio Express-News - September 5th, 2020
- Parents plea for stem cell help to save life of daughter with rare blood disorder - Mirror Online - September 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - September 1st, 2020
- 5 Recent Tech Innovations Disrupting the Medical and Healthcare Industry - HealthTechZone - August 29th, 2020
- A New FMI Report Forecasts the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Stem Cell Therapies Market Growth Post 2020 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Sophie (5) lit up a room and was a little inspiration - New Ross Standard - August 29th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market 2018 Analysis Of Production, Future Demand, Sales And Consumption Research Report To 2023 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Rare group of HIV patients don't need drugs to suppress virus due to way it integrates in their DNA - Brinkwire - August 29th, 2020
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies announces new facilities - PR Web - August 27th, 2020
- FDA Clears Jointechlabs' MiniTC for Point-of-Care Fat Tissue Processing and its Broad Range of Applications - PRNewswire - August 27th, 2020
- Religion and The Trump-Pence Ticket - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- 'I had my penis amputated - so I've travelled the world shopping for a new one' - Mirror Online - August 27th, 2020
- Determined 24-year-old fighting rare aggressive cancer - Northumberland Gazette - August 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation, Assessment and Growth Opportunities by Forecast 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020