A 26-year-old man told he had just 12 months to live pushed his wedding forward to marry the love of his life.
Dan Cassidy, from Accrington, was diagnosed with aggressive strain of leukaemia in March this year.
He had many things he wanted to do before he died, the the most important one was wedding his soul-mate Darcy Young.
The couple had been together 10 years and were able to push their wedding forward to tie the knot in July after they learned of Dan's tragic terminal cancer diagnosis.
"It was a perfect day," Dan told LancsLive .
"I wasn't feeling too good on the day, I don't know if that was the cancer or the nerves.
"I still had a great time but I couldn't be myself."
Dan was previously diagnosed with cancer in 2016 when he started to feel unwell while at a friend's barbeque.
He said: "I tried to stand up to go to the toilet and I just couldn't. I kept feeling a pain down my legs.
"My friend's wanted me to go out with them but once I was in the taxi I had to go back, I was in so much pain."
He continued: "We went to the hospital the next day and I was told I had leukaemia."
The doctor said that Dan had probably had the condition for two years and that the pain he was experiencing was from his white blood cells fighting aggressively against the cancer.
"He was in so much agony," said Darcy.
"He had dialysis to clean the blood but, whether it was the procedure or not, that caused him to have a bleed on the brain.
"He was transferred to Blackburn hospital and was put into an induced coma."
Things got worse for Dan as the doctors had to cease his cancer treatment while they dealt with the bleed.
But somehow he pulled through.
Following another bleed, brain surgery, strokes, rounds of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, Dan had a stem cell transplant from his mum and was discharged.
"Just before Christmas 2016, I came out of hospital," he said.
"Everything was working fine, I was feeling better and the cancer was in remission."
It was at this point that the 26-year-old decided that he wanted to ask Darcy a special question.
He said: "We have been together for 10 years, so we were due to get married.
"Obviously after I got out of hospital I just thought: life is so short."
Dan took Darcy to her grandparents' favourite place, Shireburn Arms, for a meal while her family decorated her room in secret.
He then gave her a box of chocolates with the words: 'Will you marry me?' iced onto them.
"He asked with chocolates," said Darcy.
"Thats how he asked me to be his girlfriend when I was 15."
The couple planned to marry in November 2019 and Dan continued to have regular check ups every three months.
In March this year Dan came out in a rash and was later told by a doctor that his cancer had returned.
"At the next appointment they said it had come back really aggressively," said Dan.
"They told me I had 12 months to live, that everyone that has had this before doesn't live past 12 months."
Darcy says the consultant was crying when she delivered the news to them.
"It didn't give us much hope," she said.
"She must have to deliver news like that all the time. I think I was in denial at first, I just thought: this can't be happening again."
Once Dan got his diagnosis the wedding became the main focus for the couple and they tied the knot in Clitheroe, in front of their family and friends.
Darcy said: "I didn't know if he would make it to the wedding but he did and it was so lovely.
"It was amazing to have all of our family and friends there to celebrate.
"All the venues and all the businesses we wanted to use made it happen for us - we couldn't ask for anything more."
The couple now live together with their dog Teddy, they are trying to enjoy the present day.
Darcy said: "We just want to seize the moment, every minute we can."
The couple want to share their story in the hope that more people will become aware of leukaemia and sign up to stem cell donor lists.
They continue to raise money for the charity Anthony Nolan who keep a register of stem cell donors.
View original post here:
Man with terminal cancer battles back from coma to marry his childhood sweetheart - Mirror Online
- Global Regenerative Group Enters Into Distribution Partnership with Aurafix & Remodem - Benzinga - November 9th, 2019
- VIDEO: Cancer survivor meets the donor who saved his life at a runDisney event - Inside the Magic - November 9th, 2019
- Can mfines Hospital Network Bridge The Gaps In Indias Healthcare Delivery Systems - Inc42 Media - November 9th, 2019
- Making a Better Baby - Vision Insights and New Horizons - November 9th, 2019
- Arizona the "wild west" of stem cell therapy; experts say promising therapy ripe for exploitation - ABC15 Arizona - November 6th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy giving disabled, elderly pets a second chance at life - CW39 - November 6th, 2019
- Edmond 2-year-old fights big battle inside his tiny body - KFOR Oklahoma City - November 6th, 2019
- New Podcast Sponsored by Asymmetrex Increases Awareness to the Need for Stem Cell Dose in Stem Cell Treatments - PR Web - November 6th, 2019
- Growing Human Organs In A Lab: As Scientists Develop Pathbreaking Three-Organ System, Heres All You Need To Know - Swarajya - November 6th, 2019
- Toddler's clinginess turned out to be cancer which parents discovered on Google - Mirror Online - November 5th, 2019
- Toddler's clinginess turned out to be cancer which parents discovered on Google - Irish Mirror - November 3rd, 2019
- Docs said our toddler was just clingy but we learned the truth on Google it was cancer - The Sun - November 3rd, 2019
- Family's tribute to 'brave and loving' Oliver Brown who has died aged 11 - Devon Live - November 3rd, 2019
- In June, FDA announced a patient died from a fecal transplant. Now the doctors are speaking out. - The Daily Briefing - November 2nd, 2019
- 'Any One of Us' Is More Than an Inspirational Film - Outside - November 2nd, 2019
- Parents of Thalassemia-affected siblings seek Kochiites assistance - The New Indian Express - November 2nd, 2019
- Brooks Koepka not in the field at the WGC-HSBC Champions, status of his knee injury remains unclear - Golf Digest - October 28th, 2019
- Mapi Announces First Patient Enrolled in the Phase III Clinical Trial of GA Depot for Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (RMS) - BioSpace - October 28th, 2019
- Baby dies from AML, the same cancer his identical twin has - TODAY - October 28th, 2019
- Heartbreaking story of leukaemia 'guinea pig' children confined to isolation rooms - Mirror Online - October 28th, 2019
- Justin Thomas, Danny Lee tied for 3rd-round lead at CJ Cup - Sports and Weather Right Now - October 21st, 2019
- Infanticide in US Abortion Mills - Church Militant - October 19th, 2019
- Sunny days and chilly nights this weekend - WMTW Portland - October 19th, 2019
- 3 siblings with rare, life-threatening blood disorder in need of bone marrow transplants CNN - WBAL Baltimore - October 19th, 2019
- Storms expected to finish the weekend - KCCI Des Moines - October 19th, 2019
- Update on the latest sports - FOX5 Las Vegas - October 19th, 2019
- Selma Blair Went Through Chemotherapy for MS Treatment and Was Told to Make Plans for Death - Parade - October 19th, 2019
- How Young India is fuelling the future of stem cell therapy and signing up to save lives - YourStory - October 19th, 2019
- Clinic helps women have babies after cancer - WNDU-TV - October 19th, 2019
- Holy Name clinical trial tests the healing power of stem cells - NJTV News - October 19th, 2019
- Fit and healthy teacher dies 20 days after discovering he had leukaemia at 33 - The Sun - October 19th, 2019
- Eurecon Verlag GmbH: 20th Pharma Trend Image & Innovation Awards The Winners and Runner-ups - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- World Cord Blood Day 2019 to Welcome Leading Transplant Doctors and Pioneering Cellular Therapy Researchers - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2019
- Sarah Ferguson admits shes had Botox, TWO types of facelift and vitamin injections in a bid to stay youthful - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- A Doctor Plumbs The Depths Of Ivan Doig's Illness And Asks: 'Did He Have An Epiphany?' - Mountain Journal - October 10th, 2019
- Campaign to save five-year-old cancer sufferer has become one of the fastest online charity appeals EVER - The Sun - October 10th, 2019
- Six people with links to UCLH listed among most influential people in London - University College London Hospitals - October 10th, 2019
- WWE Hall Of Famer Edge returning to the ring? - Wrestling News - October 4th, 2019
- Out of this world: Zionsville doctor sends osteoblast cells into space to study drug effects - Current in Carmel - October 4th, 2019
- Digital health, Unicorns and what the smart money is chasing - BizNews - October 4th, 2019
- Leesport boy fighting a second battle with cancer - Reading Eagle - October 3rd, 2019
- 2 Years Later, Retired Toms River Teacher Meets Bone Marrow Donor - wobm.com - October 3rd, 2019
- March to fight multiple myeloma scheduled this weekend - BlackburnNews.com - October 2nd, 2019
- Middlesbrough blood donor meets man she saved in Germany - The Northern Echo - October 2nd, 2019
- Taz Believes CM Punk Will Be At SmackDown On Fox Thinks Edge Could Pop Up On AEW Or SmackDown - Fightful - October 2nd, 2019
- Kevin Mwachiro: Keeper of Stories - Roads and Kingdoms - October 2nd, 2019
- Mansfield's Daniel Maberry has returned to coaching during battle with cancer, but his stay on sideline will be brief - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2019
- Eyes on the Prize: The CBC Fights Blindness During Sickle Cell Awareness Month - The Root - September 25th, 2019
- What's on TV Monday: The season premiere of 'Bull' on CBS - Los Angeles Times - September 25th, 2019
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Excessive Growth Opportunities Estimated to be Experienced 2018 to 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 25th, 2019
- Forecasting the Future of Medicine - The Future of Things - September 25th, 2019
- 'My blood brother:' Bone marrow donation started a friendship - Ottawa Citizen - September 25th, 2019
- Abortion Foe Defends Secret Taping as Investigative Work - Courthouse News Service - September 22nd, 2019
- Cancer is 'only a word,' says Moncton city councillor diagnosed with multiple myeloma - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Avoidable blindness: making global sight loss a thing of the past - Raconteur - September 22nd, 2019
- I turned down chemo after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and lived then I became pregnant after d - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Football Players? Or Lab Rats Who Can Run and Pass? - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Daleiden: sworn testimony exposed Planned Parenthoods crime of trafficking aborted-baby body-parts - Lifesite - September 22nd, 2019
- Mum's tireless campaign as daughter, 2, is kept alive by blood donors - Yahoo News Australia - September 22nd, 2019
- 3-day blood drive in Bathurst supports toddler with rare disease - CBC.ca - September 22nd, 2019
- Bone marrow donor from Germany becomes recipient's maid of honour - DNA India - September 22nd, 2019
- Tumor Marker Testing Market Size, Growth, Trends and 2023 Forecast Report - OnYourDesks - September 22nd, 2019
- Im pleading with you please donate blood to help save my baby girl without it shell die - The Sun - September 22nd, 2019
- Tecumseh girl still looking for bone marrow donor - BlackburnNews.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market research to Exhibit Significant Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2016-2026 - Analytics News - September 22nd, 2019
- Leukemia: Know the risk factors to keep the disease at bay - TheHealthSite - September 22nd, 2019
- NI teen's devastating cancer diagnosis days after dream Taylor Swift trip - Belfast Live - September 22nd, 2019
- Buy PRP Kits & Stem Cell Therapy Supplies for Regenerative ... - May 21st, 2019
- LifeCell - India's First and Largest Stem Cell Bank - May 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Auburn Novi MI| Chronic knee pain doctors in Auburn Novi - May 15th, 2019
- Doctors used stem cells to treat stroke symptoms ... - May 15th, 2019
- Elite Hospitals Plunge Into Unproven Stem Cell Treatments ... - May 12th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story | Spinal Cord Injury | SCRF - May 12th, 2019
- Best Stem Cell Doctors in Plymouth | Stem cell hip Regeneration Hip Doctor Plymouth MI - May 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy | New York - Park Avenue Stem Cell - April 15th, 2019
- Ask the doctors: Stem cell therapies need more research ... - April 13th, 2019
- stem cell Doctors in Dearborn | stem cell knee injections in Dearborn - April 13th, 2019
- Sports & Regenerative Medicine Specialist, Stem Cell ... - April 13th, 2019
- Stem Cell Doctors in Delaware, Stem cell injections, Stem ... - April 13th, 2019
- Meet Our Doctors | National Stem Cell Centers | NY Stem ... - April 13th, 2019