Stem cell research is becoming more of a taboo topic as many people of the United States move into a seemingly more anti-abortion stance.
Stem cells come from a fetus that is between three to five days old (the clump of cells is called a blastocyst at this point) and can be used to reverse the effects of chemotherapy, and help repair damaged muscle.
According to the Mayo Clinic, stem cell research and transplants can also replace neurons damaged by any spinal cord injustices, improve the symptoms of Alzheimers and Parkinsons, and produce insulin to help people with diabetes. Adult stem cells can be used as well, but they are not as useful and can only be used to work with certain types of tissues, unlike the cells of a fetus which are more malleable.
According to the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, the cells from these fetuses are donated with full consent from the donors and are from cells that were created by in vitro fertilization at various medical research clinics. Stem cells can also be collected from the placenta of a new born baby.
Stem cell research is viewed by a lot of people as the destruction of a human fetus, and that could not be farther from the truth. At three to five days old, a fetus is just a clump of cells.
It has no distinct characteristics other than it is made from the same cells as humans are. Many people think that it is unethical because these cells are possible humans, and instead of being used to create life, it is used for something completely different.
Lets say that we cut off all funding for research having to do with stem cells, including medical procedures using stem cells to repair parts of the body. This would prohibit many people from getting their bodies back to normal after receiving intense chemotherapy treatment, or due to being affected by a neurological disease.
The benefits of this type of research helps so many people that it would be ridiculous to choose a clump of cells over helping people who have been on this earth, making a difference in their own ways. It is inhumane to pick something so small, over helping a human obtain better quality of life.
It is understandable why people would be so against this, but the pros far outweigh the cons. It is an amazing scientific discovery that scientists can take new, healthy cells, and use them to repair damage.
The people against it should stop and think about how many lives can be changed or possibly saved in the future with more testing being done. It is amazing that scientists have even found out that it was possible to use cells to repair parts of the body that have been damaged.
Just imagine what kind of scientific discoveries scientists will be able to make in 10 years from now that could completely change our lives. It all starts with discoveries like this.
- Vertex invests in gene therapy manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 10th, 2019
- [Weekly Funding Roundup] Startups raised $53.3M, a drop of 75.8 pc from last week - YourStory - November 10th, 2019
- Pet Care Startup Wiggles Raises $1 Mn, Will Expand Its Footprint - Inc42 Media - November 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Research and Hair Transplants How Far Have We Come? - Science Times - October 31st, 2019
- New NCCN Guidelines Debut to Manage Complications and Improve Readiness for Stem Cell Transplant Recipients - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Sales Overview, Market Size, Opportunities, Demands, Market Share and Growth Analysis 2017 2025 - Health News Office - October 29th, 2019
- Acorn Biolabs partners with Executive Health Centre to become first clinic in North America to offer non-invasive stem cell collection - Canada... - October 24th, 2019
- Brooks Koepka slips on wet concrete, withdraws from CJ Cup - Golfweek - October 21st, 2019
- New research center to explore muscle health and disease - Newswise - October 18th, 2019
- Opinion: Neighborhood Health Clinic contributes to the overall wellbeing of Naples - Naples Daily News - October 18th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Appoints Jan Pinkas as Senior Vice President, Head of Translational Sciences and Announces Transition of Chief Scientific Officer... - October 18th, 2019
- The global wound care market is growing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period20182024 - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Saving rhinos with stem cells; $5.5 billion stem cell ballot measure readied - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ThoroldNews.com - October 12th, 2019
- Microbiome research needs a gut check - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - GuelphToday - October 11th, 2019
- Biohack Your Way To Beauty And Health Using Your DNA And Stem Cells At These Wellness Retreats Around The World - Singapore Tatler - October 11th, 2019
- I donated my embryos years ago. Now I'm friends with the mom who received them - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 11th, 2019
- Man with at least 17 children sues fertility clinic for being 'incredibly irresponsible' with his sperm - Genetic Literacy Project - October 11th, 2019
- Senior, caregivers conference and expo coming Oct. 11 - The Daily Courier - October 9th, 2019
- Regenerative medicine today: Are diabetes and vascular disease treatments ready for the clinic? - Science Magazine - October 5th, 2019
- Dr Naveen Pemmaraju Outlines the Symptoms of Myelofibrosis - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - October 5th, 2019
- Businesses Sponsor Another Season Of Movies In The Park Square - Osprey Observer - October 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Manufacturing | Research Report Overview By Top Key Players, Opportunities, Key Drivers, Application and Regional Outlook To 2027 -... - October 5th, 2019
- Sigilon Therapeutics approaches the clinic - Vantage - September 20th, 2019
- Research report explores the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Zebvo - September 20th, 2019
- 'It feels amazing,' says Alabama man now first in the state to be free of sickle cell after gene therapy - Face2Face Africa - September 20th, 2019
- Michael Schumacher Is 'Conscious', Released From Paris Hospital After Experimental Treatment - International Business Times - September 20th, 2019
- Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager - September 20th, 2019
- Living With a Secondary Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Strategy That May Protect Against Hair-Loss During Cancer Treatments - Good News Network - September 20th, 2019
- Clinical trial of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal ... - September 17th, 2019
- Autologous stem cell transplant - Type - Mayo Clinic - June 1st, 2019
- Stem cell therapy for hip | Mayo Clinic Connect - May 11th, 2019
- Next Generation Stem Cell - Professional medical clinic - April 7th, 2019
- N.Y. Attorney General Sues Manhattan Stem Cell Clinic ... - April 6th, 2019
- ThriveMD | Colorado's Experts in Stem Cells & Regenerative ... - March 29th, 2019
- Top Rated Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Denver & Vail ... - March 16th, 2019
- South Florida Stem Cell Center | Regenerative Therapy Clinic - March 16th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - March 7th, 2019
- COPD and stem cell treatment | Mayo Clinic Connect - March 7th, 2019
- GARM Stem Cell Clinic | Roatan - March 2nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinic Treatment Jupiter FL Alternative ... - March 1st, 2019
- Is This Stem-Cell Clinic Really Making Cancer Vaccines ... - February 12th, 2019
- Stem cells treatment clinic - Effective stem cell treatment - February 1st, 2019
- Vitality Healthcare - Home - January 28th, 2019
- About Us - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Brandon Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Illinois Stem Cell Clinic - Illinois Stem Cell Clinic ... - October 5th, 2018
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Clinic - September 19th, 2018
- FDA Response - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - June 29th, 2018
- World Stem Cell Clinic - For a better quality of life | WSCC - June 18th, 2018
- Stem Cell Clinic Palmetto - Stem Cell Therapy Greenwood ... - June 18th, 2018
- Top Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Vail & Denver, Colorado ... - September 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - American Regenerative Clinic, Stem ... - September 19th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - Lexology (registration) - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA steps up enforcement against unscrupulous stem cell firms - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - JD Supra (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Around the world - Bend Bulletin - August 29th, 2017
- Daily on Healthcare: Lack of bare counties doesn't solve Obamacare's problems - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- How a UCSF study could change the lives of babies in the womb and maybe help California's stem cell program in ... - San Francisco Business Times - August 25th, 2017
- Stem Cell Study for Dogs - MyWabashValley - August 23rd, 2017
- Joint Preservation vs. Replacement: What's Your Best Option? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Bio-inspired Materials Give Boost to Regenerative Medicine - Bioscience Technology - August 22nd, 2017
- Fraud Alert! Unproven Stem Cell Use Prompts International Call to Action - American Council on Science and Health - August 20th, 2017
- Friends come together for benefit concert for Joni Eickhoff - Grand Island Independent - August 16th, 2017
- 'Unexpected fountain of youth' found in cardiac stem cells, researcher says - FOX31 Denver - August 16th, 2017
- New Mayo Clinic facility aims to increase lungs available for transplant - First Coast News - August 10th, 2017
- Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with 'desperate' need for South Asians - Surrey Now-Leader - August 2nd, 2017
- Tampa Florida Stem Cell Clinic - Don't Operate - Regenerate - July 12th, 2017
- Dorothy Jean Kercheval Garrigan - The Messenger (subscription) - July 12th, 2017
- Private clinics are peddling untested stem cell treatments it's unethical and dangerous - Yahoo News UK - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' unproven stem cell treatment is unsafe and unethical ... - Business Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Stem Cells Play a Role in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Relapse - Technology Networks - June 30th, 2017
- NBA Star John Salley Partners with Stem Cell Centers of Excellence ... - Market Exclusive - June 30th, 2017
- Making Babies, No Sex Necessary - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2017
- Stem Cell Stem Cell Treatments by Clinic 42 - June 25th, 2017
- Powerful boost for bad skin days - Inquirer.net - June 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) Shares Just ... - The Oracle Dispatch - June 21st, 2017