The San Diego Zoos project to save the northern white rhino is now researching how to make sperm and egg cells to help resurrect the nearly extinct species, a zoo scientist said Thursday.
Marisa Korody, a conservation genetics scientist at the zoos Institute for Conservation research, gave the update to a scientific audience at the Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine in La Jolla.
ICR scientists have developed induced pluripotent stem cells from frozen tissue samples, Korody said. These cells act like embryonic stem cells. In theory, they can be converted into nearly any cell type in the body.
A number of tests have confirmed that these are true pluripotent stem cells, she said, displaying a video of beating heart cells, or cardiomyocytes, made from the cells.
In theory, sperm and egg cells can be united to produce embryos, which can be implanted into closely related southern white rhino females, serving as surrogate mothers. Six of these are now being trained at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
But making these gametes is complicated, she said. They require supporting structures to mature properly, and nobody knows how to determine if they do mature properly. This means the zoo and colleagues are performing original science.
So-called primordial germ cells, the common ancestor of eggs and sperm, have arisen spontaneously. But they need to be reliably generated under controlled circumstances.
All rhino species and subspecies are endangered due to habitat loss and poaching for their horns, Korody said. Its our fault, we really need to help these species, she said.
On the positive side, Korody said the dozen or so tissue samples from northern white rhinos contains enough genetic diversity to bring back a viable population.
This is known because that diversity is greater than that in the southern white rhino, which rebounded from near-extinction to a population of about 18,000.
A long-discussed state initiative to refund Californias stem cell program with $5.5 billion has at last begun.
Backers filed the initiative Thursday, according to the California Stem Cell Report, which closely tracks the program, called the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, or CIRM. If it gets 633,212 valid signatures, the initiative will appear on the November 2020 ballot.
CIRM was founded by the passage of Proposition 71 in 2004. It got $3 billion from the sale of state bonds. It has been severely criticized for overpromising the speed at which stem cell treatments would get to patients. Advocates said the agency has had to go slow because of safety reasons.
Theres also the question of whether the agency should get more money, or whether its work should be transferred to private entities. California has the biggest biomedical industry in the nation, but it also has billions in state liabilities for purposes such as pensions. Critics say the state needs to address these unfunded liabilities.
Robert N. Klein, a real estate investment banker who led the original campaign to create CIRM, said in a recent interview that the new funding was necessary to ensure that therapies now in the clinic can reach patients.
The initiative sets aside $1.5 billion for research and development of treatments for neurological conditions, such as Alzheimers disease, Parkinsons disease, and stroke. It also provides money to help disadvantaged patients receive these treatments, Klein said.
Patients who live far away from major academic centers may have difficulty arranging to stay nearby while awaiting or receiving treatment, Klein said.
Initiative supporters need to convince the public that the $5.5 billion from state bonds is a wise use of public money. Earlier this week, a study from University of Southern California professors said that it was.
CIRM, funded with $3 billion from state bonds, has yielded $10.7 billion of additional gross output, or sales revenue, the study said. In addition, more than 56,000 full-time jobs were created. Go to http://j.mp/cirmeireport for the study.
The agency said the study and another report were funded by $206,000 from CIRM, which said the study was independent.
However, the California Stem Cell Report said the study didnt convince critics of the agency, who said the agency has received enough money as it is.
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) The Courier - The Courier - May 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 8th, 2021
- Retracing the Lineage of Cancer Cells - Technology Networks - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (Myrtle Beach) Offers Stem Cells Therapy, An Alternative to Surgery For Pain Management in Myrtle Beach, SC - Press Release - Digital... - March 8th, 2021
- Caribou nets $115M to boost CRISPR tech, advance off-the-shelf cell therapies - FierceBiotech - March 8th, 2021
- QC Kinetix (San Antonio) Offers Non-Surgical Regeneration Therapy To Treat Aches, Pains, and Injuries In Individuals Around San Antonio - Press... - March 8th, 2021
- New Research Study Investigates Metformin as a Therapy to Promote Brain Repair and Reduce Disability in Children and Young Adults with MS -... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - January 30th, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - January 30th, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- TScan Moves Toward the Clinic with $100 Million Series C Round - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Love Your Skin: What Is SPF And Why Is It Important? - Yahoo Movies Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- From hacking the immune system at the Parker Institute to decoding and reprogramming human cells - leading clinical immunotherapies developer Ramy Ibr... - January 30th, 2021
- City Awards $38 Million in Infrastructure Grants for City Science Institutions - CityLand CityLand - CityLand - January 30th, 2021
- Mesoblast Limited: Is Stemcell Therapy Ready For Prime Time? - Sick Economics - January 22nd, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction | DNA RNA... - January 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough motor neurone disease study finds way to reverse damage - The National - January 19th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces 2021 Corporate Priorities Supporting the Build-out of its Commercial Business in Hematopoietic Stem Cell (HSC) Gene... - January 12th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market : Information, Figures And Analytical Insights 2020-2026 - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Paint it all Pink winner charity donation helps Elizabeth Wende Breast Care Fund - MPNnow.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Center for Regenerative Medicine - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Global Forecast, Cost, Key Participants and Emerging Trends and Key Players-AVIVA BioSciences , AdnaGen - The... - December 12th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 5th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Dec. 4 - ECM Publishers - December 5th, 2020
- Human sperm stem cells grown in lab, an early step toward infertility treatment - Jill Lopez - November 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Industry 2020 Market Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments And 2026 Forecasts Research... - November 18th, 2020
- Updated: FDA gives Cellectis all clear after patient death halted off-the-shelf CAR-T trial - Endpoints News - November 18th, 2020
- FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics and Lonza Agree to Expand the Availability and Use of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Technology - BioSpace - November 16th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic team draws a link between COVID-19 protection and the sleep aid melatonin - FierceBiotech - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Outlook by Types, Applications, End Users and Opportunities to 2025 - TechnoWeekly - November 16th, 2020
- Orphan Drug Designation Granted for CSL Behring's Investigational Plasma-Derived Hemopexin Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? Here's A Look At California's 2020 Propositions - KPBS - November 3rd, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to witness remarkable disruptions in the next decade - TechnoWeekly - October 28th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on Next Steps for Research Exploring CAR T-Cell Therapy in MCL - OncLive - October 28th, 2020
- Randomized Controlled Study Using Direct Injection of Remestemcel-L Into Inflamed Gut of Patients With Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis -... - October 24th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Share, By Product Analysis, Ap - News by aeresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Months after achieving unicorn status, Orca steers into the fast lane with an RMAT designation for cell therapy candidate - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2020
- EdiGene Gets $67 Million Infusion to Bring Gene Editing to the Clinic - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 15th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics' allogeneic cell therapy product, ALLOB, shows 90% fusion rate at 24 months in Phase IIa study in lumbar spinal fusion -... - October 15th, 2020
- Biopharma Money on the Move: October 7-14 - BioSpace - October 15th, 2020
- Consensus paper: current state of first- and second-line therapy in advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. - UroToday - October 8th, 2020
- Around Town: Life is a series of choices a look at California's ballot propositions - VVdailypress.com - October 8th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Releases Their Proposition recommendations - Valley Voice - October 8th, 2020
- Expansion Therapeutics Names Renato Skerlj, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President - BioSpace - October 8th, 2020
- What is the difference between ventilation and respiration? - EMS1.com - October 8th, 2020
- Props to you, Californians: A preview of what's on your November ballot - Palo Alto Online - October 8th, 2020
- TreeFrog Therapeutics and Invetech Expand Partnership to Transition High-throughput Stem Cell Encapsulation Technology to GMP System for... - October 8th, 2020
- How to Vote This November: A Progressive's Opinion Redheaded Blackbelt - Redheaded Blackbelt - October 1st, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 30th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Research (2015-2026): In-depth Assessment of the Growth and other Aspects - Internet Shots - September 23rd, 2020
- Cellular Therapy Products Market 2020 2025 analysis examined in new C - News by aeresearch - September 23rd, 2020
- Those linked to stem cell board received more than $2.1 billion - Capitol Weekly - September 15th, 2020
- Takeda Expands Cell Therapy Efforts with New R&D Manufacturing Plant in Boston - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Allow your body to heal on its own with the help of Stemcure Clinic - Lowvelder - September 15th, 2020
- The Animal Stem Cell Therapy market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Dr. Hill on the Role of CAR T-Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - OncLive - September 12th, 2020
- When old age catches up with you in your 30s - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- The 9th ISS R&D Conference Is Opening This Week, but This Year's Setup Is Different - Science Times - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Concentration System Market Covid-19 Impact On 2020 In-depth Industry Size, Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2026: EmCyte, Terumo,... - August 28th, 2020
- Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Industry Size, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 Osiris Therapeutics Inc, US Stem Cell Inc, Yuhan... - August 28th, 2020
- Burger Reviews BTK Inhibitors and Beyond in Frontline CLL - Targeted Oncology - August 25th, 2020
- Global Degenerative Disc Disease Therapeutics Market Checkout the Unpredictable Future: Industry Applications, Competitors growth prospects, Industry... - August 25th, 2020
- Adapting ideas from quantum physics to calculate alternative interventions for infection and cancer - Science Codex - August 25th, 2020
- What voters need to know about Californias ballot propositions - OCRegister - August 24th, 2020
- Diabetic patients may find ray of hope in stem cell treatment - The News International - August 21st, 2020
- Jocelyn McGlynn inspired people to help others - Chatham This Week - August 19th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market with leading companies like ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES, Abbott Animal Hospital, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Veterinary Hospital and... - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Report: Production, Revenue, Price Trend by Types & Market Analysis by Application -... - August 18th, 2020
- Hackensack University Medical Center Has the Best Cancer Center in New Jersey John Theurer Cancer Center recognized by U.S. News & World Report -... - August 18th, 2020
- Novel CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Advanced Hodgkin Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors |... - August 13th, 2020
- Novo backs 'breakthrough' antifungal player's $60M round with a focus on rare mold infections - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020
- CanSino reaps $748M windfall from Shanghai IPO as it warns Covid-19 vaccine won't be a huge money maker - Endpoints News - August 13th, 2020