Imagine youre a smiley-faced, feathery-gilled Mexican salamander called an axolotl. Youve just been born, along with hundreds of brothers and sisters. But salamanders like you live in the wild only in one lake near Mexico City, and that habitat isnt big enough for all of you. Theres not enough food. Only the strongest can survive. What do you do?
If youre an axolotl, you have two choiceseat your siblings arms, or have your arms eaten.
But even if you are the unfortunate victim of this sibling violence, not all hope is lost. In a few months, youll grow a whole new armbones, muscle, skin, nerves and all.
Its pretty gruesome, but cannibalism is a possible reason why they grow their arms back, says associate biology professor James Monaghan. His lab studies regeneration in axolotls, a peculiar species that can grow back limbs and other organs to various degrees.
When an injury occurs, some cues are released in that animal that tells cells near the injury to go from a resting state into a regenerative state, Monaghan says.
His lab is trying to figure out what those cues are, and how we might induce that response in humans, who have very limited regenerative abilities.
Humans are notoriously bad at regenerating, Monaghan says. After were done growing, the genes that tell our cells to grow new organs are turned off.
Thats a good thing because otherwise itd be chaos, he says. No one wants to spontaneously grow an extra finger.
Axolotls can turn back on those genes that we turn off permanently, Monaghan says.
Understanding the specific mechanisms that induce regenerative responses in axolotls is no small task since axolotls have the largest genome ever sequenced.
So far, the lab has identified one molecule, neuregulin-1, which is essential for regeneration of limbs, lungs, and possibly hearts.
When we removed it, regeneration stopped. And when we added it back in, it induced the regenerative response, Monaghan says. Im not saying its a golden bullet for inducing regeneration in humans, too, but it could be part of the puzzle.
A lot of researchers study limb regeneration in axolotls. But Monaghans lab is interested in extending this research to other organs, as well.
When you think of the human condition, most of our issues with disease are with internal organs, Monaghan says.
Take retina regeneration, for example. Monaghan says we can either learn the process axolotls undergo that allows their specialized cells to return back to developmental cells, and then mimic that process in human eyes. Or, we can learn which elements of the axolotl enable their cells to behave this way, and then add those elements to human stem cell therapy.
To test the latter, Monaghan has teamed up with a Northeastern associate professor of chemical engineering, Rebecca Carrier, and her lab to figure out the best way to transplant mammalian retinal cells using molecules found in the axolotl.
In the experiment, Monaghan and Carrier used pig eyes, which are similar to human eyes. When they transplanted stem cells from the retina of one pig into the retina of another, 99 percent of the transplanted cells died. Somethings missing, Monaghan says. The cells dont have the right cues.
But when Carrier and Monaghan injected those same pig stem cells into the axolotl eye, fewer cells died. They were much happier, Monaghan says. Theres something in the axolotl retina that the mammalian cells like.
One reason axolotls are so good at receiving transplants is because, unlike humans, they dont have a learned immune system, meaning they cant distinguish between themselves and foreign entities.
Its really easy to do grafts between animals because the axolotls cant tell that the new tissue isnt theirs, he says. They dont reject it like we might.
An obvious example of this can be seen in axolotls that are genetically modified with a green fluorescent protein found in jellyfish. These naturally white axolotls glow neon green in certain lighting.
With this we can ask really basic questions, like do cells change their fate when they participate in regeneration? Monaghan says.
For example, if Monaghan grafts muscle tissue from a green fluorescent animal onto a white axolotl and then that axolotl regenerates, does the axolotl grow green muscle? Do its bones glow green, too? What about its skin?
Researchers have found, however, that cells dont actually change. Green muscle yields green muscle only.
The axolotl isnt the only animal that can regrow organs. Starfish, worms, frogs, and other species of salamanders can also regenerate. But axolotls are special because, unlike other animals, they can regrow organs that are just as robust as the originals, no matter how old they get.
For example, tadpoles can regenerate limbs. But once they undergo metamorphosis and become frogs, they can only regrow a spike, Monaghan says. They lose the ability to grow back their digits.
The axolotls ability to fully regrow organs, even as it ages, could be partially due to its perpetual juvenile state. Axolotls, unlike most other amphibians, dont undergo metamorphosis naturally, which means they never technically reach adulthood, even though they can reproduce. This condition is called neoteny.
Axolotls come from a species that used to walk on land, Monaghan says. They do have legs, after all. But some mutation occurred that keeps them in the lake and from reaching adulthood.
To test whether their neotenic state is responsible for their ability to regenerate, Monaghan took a group of axolotl siblings and induced metamorphosis in one half by exposing them to thyroid hormones, a chemical that flips on the maturity switch in these amphibians. The other half was kept in the juvenile state.
In the experiment, the juveniles regenerated normally, but all of their adult siblings regenerated slower than usual, and had deformities in their regrown limbs.
There is some association with neoteny and the ability to regenerate, Monaghan says. But its not the main factor.
That main factor is yet to be discovered. But even though some of this might sound like science fiction, you already made an arm once, Monaghan says. If we could just learn how to turn back on those programs, our bodies might do the rest of the work.
For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021
- People With Cancer Should Receive COVID-19 Vaccine, Experts Say - Cancer Health Treatment News - February 4th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future The Courier - The Courier - February 4th, 2021
- Healthcare Inventory Management Market: Rising Research and Development is Anticipated to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - January 30th, 2021
- Latest Research and Industry Trends of Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Forecast 2027 Stemcell Technologies, Wheaton Industries, GE Healthcare ... - January 30th, 2021
- 5 People in the BioHealth Capital Region You Should Know In 2021 - BioBuzz - January 30th, 2021
- Global CAR-T Therapy Market Opportunities and Strategies Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Their Goal: Meat That's Better Than Meat | Tufts Now - Tufts Now - January 30th, 2021
- Humanigen and Emergent BioSolutions Announce Contract Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Phase 3 COVID-19 Therapeutic Candidate Lenzilumab -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 7,250.0 Million by 2028 | Increasing Investments in Production Capacity Expansion for Cell and Gene... - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Human physiomimetic model integrating microphysiological systems of the gut, liver, and brain for studies of neurodegenerative diseases - Science... - January 30th, 2021
- Elevian Targets Aging to Solve Humanity's Toughest Diseases - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Propanc Biopharma Appoints Belen Toledo to Evaluate Impact of Proenzyme Therapy on Tumor Microenvironment - Business Wire - January 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Osiris... - January 25th, 2021
- Cell Separation Technologies Market to Reach $28.76 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 15.4% CAGR, Says Allied Market Research - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 25th, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - BioSpace - January 23rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $23.57 Bn By 2027; High demand for 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs to better understand their mechanism... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative medicine is advancing health care in diverse ways - Hometown Focus - January 22nd, 2021
- Gene Pathway Linked to Development of Schizophrenia - Psychiatric Times - January 22nd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces the Addition of BARDA and Expansion of CRADA with the US Government to Develop Lenzilumab for COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2021
- Cell Sorting Market Size to Reach USD 805.1 Million By 2027 | Expanding Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Industries will be the Major Factor Driving... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm's Covid-19 ARDS treatment improves lung function in study - Clinical Trials Arena - January 22nd, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on Automated Cell Culture Market Influencing the Industry Development and Forecast | BD, Tecan Trading, Sartorius, TAP Biosystems,... - January 22nd, 2021
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Size is Expected to reach USD 3529.26 Million by 2025 and Registeri - PharmiWeb.com - January 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 22nd, 2021
- New Genetic Disorder Discovered That Affects Brain and Craniofacial Skeleton - Technology Networks - January 22nd, 2021
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy Invests $1 Million in Satellos Bioscience to Support New Regenerative Medicine Technology - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem cells on the ballot - Science Magazine - January 14th, 2021
- 2021 Startups to Watch: Ronawk's T-Blocks stack the future of stem cell research in an Olathe lab - Startland News - January 14th, 2021
- Towards a Cure: Carleton Research Team Working on Stem Cell Therapy to Reverse Type 1 Diabetes - Carleton Newsroom - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market | Know the aspects that will serve as game-changers for the market - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021