Stephanie Burnette reached out to us after our first I-Team report about an expensive nerve treatment marketed to seniors. She says she and her husband still owe thousands of dollars for treatment they say didn't work for them.
While she and her husband both have neuropathy, Carlos Dominguez does not. This was confirmed by his neurologist in June and again in August.
But after his visit to Superior Health Centers in Aug. 2019, Dominguez says he didn't know what to think.
"They tell me they're going to put me through treatment to cure me," he said.
The disabled veteran says he was drawn to Superior Health Centers by an invitation offering a free dinner and the promise of stem cell treatments.
Have a tip for our NBC4 I-Team? Send it straight to their inbox.
"That's what I keep hearing is going to help people who have arthritis, which is what I have in my knee," Dominguez said of stem cells.
To his surprise, he says they also told him he had the debilitating nerve condition called neuropathy and Superior Health warned of dire consequences.
"He told me that later on you could basically have an amputation whether it be your toes or your feet ... so how are you feeling? Of course I'm scared," he said.
Dominguez said Superior Health bombarded him with paperwork he showed us the documents and pointed out more than a dozen places he had to initial and sign.
"They keep shoving one after another after another. They don't even give you a chance to stop and you know, get your thoughts straight."
When it was all said and done, Dominguez had signed up for 2 1/2 months treatment at a cost of $15,602.
The financing was arranged by Superior Health and none of the treatment costs were covered by insurance. Dominguez's neurologist confirmed after his visit with Superior that he does not have neuropathy.
And what about the promise of stem cells? Dominguez showed us a document which says Superior Health uses "human umbilical cord tissue."
"The tissuehas no stem cells or anything that could play any role in regenerating damaged organs or tissues or anything," Kevin McCormack, a spokesman for California Institute for Regenerative Medicine said.
CIRM is the state agency that funds stem cell research. McCormack warns many clinics are making big promises with no scientific proof.
"Long term it doesn't work, it doesn't repair the damage, it doesn't restore functions. It doesn't do anything. The only thing it improves is the bank account of these clinics," he said.
Chiropractor Philip Straw first came to the NBCLA I-Team's attention when viewers reached out to our investigative unit with complaints about the neuropathy treatment they received from Optimal Health/Straw Chiropractic. The I-Team started asking questions late last year. We were told in January that the business was closing its doors, but they appear to have reopened as Superior Health Centers where Carlos went.
For example, Straw is seen in television commercials advertising neuropathy treatment. When we've called the number displayed on the commercial, it connects to Superior Health Centers.
NBCLA has tried unsuccessfully to reach Straw and an attorney for Superior Health for comment.
But in a previously issued statement, the attorney wrote:
"Philip Straw is neither practicing at the facility nor is he a professional tenant of Superior Health Centers ... While patients acknowledge that there is no guaranty that they will improve from the treatment, many patients report significant improvement."
When Dominguez heard patient Michele Botts in our first I-Team report, he said her words resonated with him.
"I go, oh boy. I've been duped. That's the first thing I thought ... I've been taken," he said.
Taken for thousands of dollars and left, he says, with no improvement and no hope.
Dominguez never received any stem cell treatments. Instead, he says he told Superior Health he wanted out of his contract and cleared of his financial obligation. He says Superior has not agreed to that.
Consumers can contact the California Chiropractic Examiners Board online here or call 916-263-5355 to speak with someone.
This story is from our sister station, NBC Los Angeles. Click here for more investigative stories from NBC stations across the county.
- Leading Alternative Healing Director of Total Health Institute Reviews and Receives 3rd Fellowship in Stem Cell Therapy - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2019
- NIST researchers use artificial intelligence for quality control of stem cell-derived tissues - National Institutes of Health - November 15th, 2019
- Modeling the early development of a primate embryo - Science Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- BREAKTHROUGH: Her vision was getting worse, then animal research made things clear - Speaking of Research - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Increase Exponentially During 2018 2025 - Downey Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplants Used to Grow Fully Functional Lungs in Mice - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Human Heart Cells Transform in Space; Return to Normal on Earth: Study - The Weather Channel - November 11th, 2019
- Serving those who serve us - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - November 11th, 2019
- Kadimastem to Present Interim Results of Cohort A of Its Phase 1/2a Clinical Trial in ALS at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting, in Tel-Aviv,... - November 11th, 2019
- The Value and Versatility of Clinical Flow Cytometry - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Industry Research: Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Market Share, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis - Inquiry... - November 11th, 2019
- Human heart cells are altered by spaceflight, but return mostly to normal on Earth - Space Daily - November 9th, 2019
- Jennifer OConnell: President Kanye in 2024? Be very afraid America - The Irish Times - November 9th, 2019
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 9th, 2019
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Industry Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024 - Real Viewpoint - November 9th, 2019
- Novel Molecule Reduces the Aggressiveness of Pediatric Cancer - Technology Networks - November 7th, 2019
- 2019s Allen Distinguished Investigators will focus on the mysteries of our cells - Yahoo Tech - November 7th, 2019
- At the American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians Live Congress 2019, FDA Safety Panel Says No to the Bad Actors - PRNewswire - November 7th, 2019
- MD Anderson Partners with Takeda to Develop CAR Natural Killer-Cell Therapy - Cancer Network - November 7th, 2019
- First UK patient treated with tissue engineered product for rare eye disease - Hospital Healthcare Europe - November 7th, 2019
- Spaceflight alters heart cells but they quickly recover back on Earth - New Scientist News - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market To Witness Increase In Revenues By 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 7th, 2019
- Researchers Find Link Between Eye Disease And Degeneration Of The Brain - BioSpace - November 7th, 2019
- Physicians' Education Resource to Host Satellite Symposia at Annual American Society of Hematology Meeting and Exposition in Orlando - Business Wire - November 7th, 2019
- Keep Bioethics out of Elementary and High Schools - National Review - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Virtualnewsusa - November 7th, 2019
- The Bold and the Beautiful Star Don Diamont Supports ALS Research - Soap Hub - November 7th, 2019
- International Conference on Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - Hoover Sun - November 5th, 2019
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Forecast to 2024 by Types, Application and by Regions - Exchange 99 - November 5th, 2019
- Lymphatic System Discovered To Play Key Role in Hair Regeneration - Technology Networks - November 5th, 2019
- Stem cell transplants approved for people with MS in Scotland - MS Trust - November 5th, 2019
- Johns Hopkins professor to lecture on interplay of secular bioethics, religion as part of Honors Colloquium - URI Today - November 5th, 2019
- Russell Brand Defends Lewis Hamiltons Vegan Hypocrisy and It Will Make You Think - LIVEKINDLY - November 5th, 2019
- Latest Report on Stem Cell Banking Market to Drive Amazing Growth by 2025 | Cord Blood Registry (CBR) Systems - News Hours Today - November 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - BeetleVersion - November 5th, 2019
- The House of Lords is needed to protect democracy now more than ever - The Independent - November 3rd, 2019
- Late-Term Abortion and an Election in Virginia - Newsmax - October 31st, 2019
- AIVITA Biomedical Announces Publication Detailing Immune Mechanisms Leading to Complete Remission of Measurable Metastatic Melanoma in Patient Treated... - October 31st, 2019
- CHS teacher enjoys prepping students for life out on their own - Albuquerque Journal - October 31st, 2019
- bluebird bio Reports Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - Business Wire - October 31st, 2019
- Global Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'The Market Reports' - Market... - October 31st, 2019
- SCD, HIV Gene Therapy Efforts Get $200M from NIH, Gates Foundation - Sickle Cell Anemia News - October 31st, 2019
- Global 3D Cell Culture Markets, 2019-2025: Cancer & Stem Cell Research Displays the Potential to Grow at Over 21.9% - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 26th, 2019
- UCI IN THE NEWS OCT. 25, 2019 - UCI News - October 26th, 2019
- Mini-brains may already be sentient and suffering, scientists warn - Big Think - October 26th, 2019
- UK and China scientists developing new drugs to fight Tuberculosis - University of Birmingham - October 26th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Market Players, Key Regions, Product Segments, and Applications 2024 - Globe... - October 24th, 2019
- Do transhumanists need their own bill of rights? - Quartz - October 22nd, 2019
- Global Wound Care Market Outlook to 2024: New Product Approvals/Launches, Emergence of Stem Cell Therapy For Wound Healing - P&T Community - October 22nd, 2019
- New study reveals why breast cancer spreads to the brain - USC News - October 22nd, 2019
- Meet the axolotl: A cannibalistic salamander that regenerates its limbs and might help us better understand human stem cell therapy -... - October 22nd, 2019
- More awareness needed on stem cell donation: expert - The Hindu - October 22nd, 2019
- Lucknow: In a first, 26-yr-old DMD patient in UP survives with stem cell therapy - ETHealthworld.com - October 22nd, 2019
- Registration Open for The Eye and The Chip Research Congress - Newswise - October 22nd, 2019
- Cesca Therapeutics Forms Joint Venture with Healthbanks Biotech (USA) to Provide Immune Cell Banking and Cell Processing Services - P&T Community - October 22nd, 2019
- 'I've potentially saved a stranger's life by donating my blood stem cells and it was painless' - inews - October 22nd, 2019
- CST and Cell Press launch Cell Mentor in China - BSA bureau - October 22nd, 2019
- How stem cells are helping to mend broken hearts - Belfast Telegraph - October 22nd, 2019
- Iran sends US list of names for its proposed prisoner swap - Stars and Stripes - October 22nd, 2019
- Multiple Myeloma Experts, Patients, Advocates and Caregivers Team Up to Hike Through Patagonia - BioSpace - October 22nd, 2019
- Analysis Determines Cost Effectiveness of Various Treatment Strategies for Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Therapy Advisor - October 11th, 2019
- Stem cell therapy helped Owen Franks but there's still plenty to prove - Stuff.co.nz - October 11th, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics to Present at Metabesity 2019 - Business Wire - October 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 08-Year Market Forecast and Trends Analysis Research Report - The Tribune City - October 10th, 2019
- New Cambridge research could lead to novel cancer therapies - Business Weekly - October 10th, 2019
- Global 3D Bioprinting Market Outlook, 2019-2024 - Market Anticipated to Reach $1.64 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 10th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019: Prosperous Growth, Recent Trends and Demand by Top Key Vendors like Anika Therapeutics, Biomet,... - October 10th, 2019
- Industry Champion Jim Greenwood to Retire Following 2020 Elections - BioSpace - October 10th, 2019
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coatings Market will Going to be Worth US$ 623.4 Mn by 2020 - Online News Guru - October 10th, 2019
- NIH funding bolsters rare diseases research collaborations | National Institutes of Health - National Institutes of Health - October 4th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth USD 4759.27 Million By 2024 - Global Market News 24 - October 4th, 2019
- Genome editing to be tested in kidney organoids - UW Medicine Newsroom - October 2nd, 2019
- First Patient Enrolled in Novel Stem Cell Trial for Heart Failure Treatment - Newswise - October 2nd, 2019
- Vor Biopharma Hires Senior Cell and Gene Therapy Leaders as Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Research - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2019
- Now in development: off-the-shelf stem cells - Knowable Magazine - September 28th, 2019
- Immunity Against Cancer? Engineered Killer T Cells May Be the Key. - SciTechDaily - September 28th, 2019
- 'Provocative' Results With Stem Cells in Progressive MS - Medscape - September 27th, 2019
- Finding alternatives to animal testing - University of California - September 27th, 2019
- Gene therapy shows promise repairing brain tissue damaged by stroke - National Institute on Aging - September 27th, 2019
- Vitro Biopharma 3rd Quarter ended July 31st 2019 Financial Results of Operations - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2019