No day is the same for Carolyn Dundes, a PhD candidate in the Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine program and an LGBTQ community advocate. That's just the way Dundes likes it.
Dundes spoke with me aboutresearch, activism outside the lab and the importance of "finding your community."
Where were you before you came to Stanford?
I did my undergraduate degree at Wesleyan University. I loved it there. I did a lot of research in the lab of ProfessorLaura Grabel, PhD, studying the signals that regulate embryonic brain development.
What got you interested in that field?
Science is something I've always been super interested in, particularly the mystery of how the brain develops. I remember thinking, "How have people not figured this out yet?" Turns out it's really hard, that's why!
My first research experience was at the University of Connecticut. We were studying a really cool -- to the extent that you can say any disease is cool -- epigenetically-inherited disease called Prader-Willi Syndrome. Depending on whether the genetic error is passed down on the maternal or paternal copy of the chromosome, the observable characteristics of the disease -- known as the phenotype -- are different.
The lab was super welcoming and they patiently answered all of my endless questions. From then on, I knew I wanted to do research forever. It's a really cool transition from learning all these concepts in books and classes to actually doing an experiment and generating brand new data.
What does a day in your life look like?
One of the things I enjoy about being a grad student is that no two days look the same. I'm a member of the Loh Lab. We use human pluripotent stem cells, which have the potential to develop into any of the body's cell types, to model and better understand early stages of human development.
My research focuses on central nervous system development: I'm trying to establish which signals are instructing cells in the embryo to become all the different types of cells that make up the brain.
In the morning, I come into the lab to do cell culture. In the middle of the day, I have meetings and seminars, and in the afternoons, I do lots of different kinds of assays. That's also generally when I do my outside-of-the-lab activities. I'm on the staff at Queer Student Resources, and on Fridays, I work with the Stanford Prison Education Project.
Tell me more about your advocacy work.
The prison education project is a misnomer, since we currently work only in jails, but Stanford graduate students lead weekly seminars for individuals who are incarcerated at two local correctional centers. The students have different levels of education; some didn't finish high school, while others have advanced professional degrees. The trick is making the lesson fit all those levels. This semester, the theme was virtue and vice. Our role there was not to tell them how to be good or bad people but to discuss how we as a society decide what is virtue and what is vice.
At Queer Student Resources, I'm one of the coordinators for Trans&, a weekly event for transgender folks at Stanford to connect and spend time together. We welcome all students (undergrad, grad and postdoc) and community members who identify with any trans/non-binary/genderqueer identity, or who may be questioning their gender identity.
As a nonbinary scientist, running Trans@ has been a an important way for me to connect with other gender-minority peers at Stanford. Being an advocate is important to me because being a graduate student is already hard enough, and if you're in a disenfranchised or minority group, you can never just be a grad student. At Stanford, people are at least willing to listen to these students' needs, but there's still so much progress that needs to be made, for example when it comes to representation.
Do you have any advice for future graduate students?
First of all, it's important to find your community, whatever that means for you, and to find advocates who are willing to stick out their necks for you. That's easier said than done.
Second, I'd say find something that you love to do that has nothing to do with your work. I do dog-sitting almost every night, and that brings me great joy.
Are you watching or reading anything good lately?
I just finished listening to "Tranny" by Laura Jane Grace, the frontwoman for the pop-punk band "Against Me!" And I've been listening to the storytelling podcast, "The Moth."I like how human it is. After spending all day looking at cells under a microscope, it can be nice to be reminded of the bigger picture.
Photo by Luke Girard/Thru Luke's Lens
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020
- Gene variants and susceptibility to schizophrenia - The Hindu - August 1st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 Bulletin Line -... - August 1st, 2020
- FDA Approves Monjuvi(R) (tafasitamab-cxix) in Combination with Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adu - PharmiWeb.com - August 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Trends and Value Chain 2019-2025 - Owned - August 1st, 2020
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2025 - Galus Australis - August 1st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, In... - August 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cytokine Market 2020 Top Countries Data Industry Size, Share, Business Growth, Revenue, Trends, Market Demand Penetration and Forecast to By... - August 1st, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? A Summary Of The 12 State Propositions For November 2020 Election - KHTS Radio - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Strategies, Comparison, Shares, Demand, Supply, Challenges and Forecast to 2026 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market Trends, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis up to 2021 focuses on major key players PCT Cell Therapy Services, LLC... - July 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027... - July 31st, 2020
- Limited Reporting of Adverse Events Tied to Regenerative Treatments Leaves Consumers Vulnerable - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 31st, 2020
- How airway cells work together in regeneration and aging - Newswise - July 31st, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - July 31st, 2020
- New Trends of Stem Cell Banking Market with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2025 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Scientists to speed creation of pig vaccines - FarmingUK - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market Research Report by Product, by End User, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - July 30th, 2020
- Research report covers the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Forecasts and Growth, 2019-2025 - Market Research... - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: COVID-19 impact on 3D Cell Cultures Market Variables, Information, Emerging Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026 | Sigma, Lonza, 3D... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Storage Market Insights and Upcoming Trends to Forecast till 2025| CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026| BD Bioscience, Beckman Coulter, Ge... - July 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Drugs Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Analysis and Growth Opportunities to 2026 -... - July 30th, 2020
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Announces Winners of the "Ken Griffin Alpha-synuclein Imaging Competition" to Develop Game-Changing Tool for... - July 30th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2027 | Merck KGA, LONZA Group AG, Novartis, etc. -... - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Separation by Membrane Filtration Technology Market: In-depth Analysis of the Global Industry with Future Estimations till 2029 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Outlook | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020 2027 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Mesoblast sees lasting need for COVID treatment beyond a vaccine - Sydney Morning Herald - July 30th, 2020
- UAE leads Covid-19 research in the Middle East - The National - July 30th, 2020
- Demand for Cryopreservation Equipment Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis and Growth Forecast by Type and Application from 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - July 30th, 2020
- Literature Review of Surgical Treatment in Idiopathic Full-Thickness M | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - July 29th, 2020
- Peripheral Nerve Repair Devices Market Research Report by Device, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast 2019 | By Top Players Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., Kolon TissueGene, Inc.,... - July 29th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Synthetic Stem Cells Market Report 2020-2026 Research Insights 2020 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed... - July 29th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim acquires GST to strengthen its stem cell capabilities in Animal Health - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 29th, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2027 - Owned - July 29th, 2020
- The Global CO2 Incubator Market is expected to grow by $ 100.29 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during the forecast period -... - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Expected to Witness a Fast-paced Growth Over the Forecast Period 2018 2026 - Owned - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Booming Demand Leading To Exponential CAGR Growth By 2026 | Industry Growth Insights - My Kids Health - July 28th, 2020
- Iterion Therapeutics Initiates Enrollment of Phase 2a Dose Expansion Study of Tegavivint in Patients with Desmoid Tumors - BioSpace - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Cord Blood Registry Systems,... - July 27th, 2020