No day is the same for Carolyn Dundes, a PhD candidate in the Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine program and an LGBTQ community advocate. That's just the way Dundes likes it.
Dundes spoke with me aboutresearch, activism outside the lab and the importance of "finding your community."
Where were you before you came to Stanford?
I did my undergraduate degree at Wesleyan University. I loved it there. I did a lot of research in the lab of ProfessorLaura Grabel, PhD, studying the signals that regulate embryonic brain development.
What got you interested in that field?
Science is something I've always been super interested in, particularly the mystery of how the brain develops. I remember thinking, "How have people not figured this out yet?" Turns out it's really hard, that's why!
My first research experience was at the University of Connecticut. We were studying a really cool -- to the extent that you can say any disease is cool -- epigenetically-inherited disease called Prader-Willi Syndrome. Depending on whether the genetic error is passed down on the maternal or paternal copy of the chromosome, the observable characteristics of the disease -- known as the phenotype -- are different.
The lab was super welcoming and they patiently answered all of my endless questions. From then on, I knew I wanted to do research forever. It's a really cool transition from learning all these concepts in books and classes to actually doing an experiment and generating brand new data.
What does a day in your life look like?
One of the things I enjoy about being a grad student is that no two days look the same. I'm a member of the Loh Lab. We use human pluripotent stem cells, which have the potential to develop into any of the body's cell types, to model and better understand early stages of human development.
My research focuses on central nervous system development: I'm trying to establish which signals are instructing cells in the embryo to become all the different types of cells that make up the brain.
In the morning, I come into the lab to do cell culture. In the middle of the day, I have meetings and seminars, and in the afternoons, I do lots of different kinds of assays. That's also generally when I do my outside-of-the-lab activities. I'm on the staff at Queer Student Resources, and on Fridays, I work with the Stanford Prison Education Project.
Tell me more about your advocacy work.
The prison education project is a misnomer, since we currently work only in jails, but Stanford graduate students lead weekly seminars for individuals who are incarcerated at two local correctional centers. The students have different levels of education; some didn't finish high school, while others have advanced professional degrees. The trick is making the lesson fit all those levels. This semester, the theme was virtue and vice. Our role there was not to tell them how to be good or bad people but to discuss how we as a society decide what is virtue and what is vice.
At Queer Student Resources, I'm one of the coordinators for Trans&, a weekly event for transgender folks at Stanford to connect and spend time together. We welcome all students (undergrad, grad and postdoc) and community members who identify with any trans/non-binary/genderqueer identity, or who may be questioning their gender identity.
As a nonbinary scientist, running Trans@ has been a an important way for me to connect with other gender-minority peers at Stanford. Being an advocate is important to me because being a graduate student is already hard enough, and if you're in a disenfranchised or minority group, you can never just be a grad student. At Stanford, people are at least willing to listen to these students' needs, but there's still so much progress that needs to be made, for example when it comes to representation.
Do you have any advice for future graduate students?
First of all, it's important to find your community, whatever that means for you, and to find advocates who are willing to stick out their necks for you. That's easier said than done.
Second, I'd say find something that you love to do that has nothing to do with your work. I do dog-sitting almost every night, and that brings me great joy.
Are you watching or reading anything good lately?
I just finished listening to "Tranny" by Laura Jane Grace, the frontwoman for the pop-punk band "Against Me!" And I've been listening to the storytelling podcast, "The Moth."I like how human it is. After spending all day looking at cells under a microscope, it can be nice to be reminded of the bigger picture.
Photo by Luke Girard/Thru Luke's Lens
- Stem Cell Banking Market smart Strategies of the Research and Development Process Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Meet the Culprits of Cell Culture Contamination - Technology Networks - January 23rd, 2020
- What Will Be The Growth of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market? Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Biobanks Market To Witness An Impressive Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Vital News 24 - January 23rd, 2020
- Advancells Group & IFC Concluded their 3-Day Workshop on Regenerative Medicine - India Education Diary - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development to 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics COO and CMO, Dr. Ralph Kern, to Present at the 10th Annual California ALS Research Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Neurogenesis could be a therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disease - Drug Target Review - January 22nd, 2020
- Getting to the Root of the Disease: Developing Drugs Against the Hard-to-Target Wnt Pathway - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Market Players, Key Regions, Product Segments, and Applications 2024 ... - January 22nd, 2020
- At 35.7% CAGR, Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size will reach 108.3 million USD by 2025 - MENAFN.COM - January 22nd, 2020
- Global Cholangiocarcinoma Therapeutics Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Eli Lilly and Company |... - January 22nd, 2020
- 1000 Entrepreneurs: Ken Aldrich on 30 Years of Venture Capital and 50 Successful Businesses - GuruFocus.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Preparing the youth - The News International - January 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Extensive Growth Opportunities to Be Witnessed by 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 22nd, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 2026 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - FRANCE 24 - January 21st, 2020
- Psychiatric body condemns use of stem cell therapies to treat psychiatric disorders - Moneycontrol.com - January 21st, 2020
- Astellas partners with Adaptimmune to develop off-the-shelf CAR-T and T-cell therapies - Healio - January 21st, 2020
- Could Scientists 'Hack' the Zika Virus to Kill Brain Cancer? - Livescience.com - January 20th, 2020
- Product Innovations and Technological Advancements to Boost the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market in the Upcoming Years 2017 2025 Dagoretti... - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Report 2019:2026 Industry Growth Forecasts by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application Dagoretti News... - January 20th, 2020
- Market opportunity and growth drivers of Cell Separation Technology Market till 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Uses, Types & Examples - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2016 2024 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- 2D Cell Culture Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based therapeutics Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Growth, Size, Share, Clinical Review,... - January 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Poised to Garner Maximum Revenues During 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Astellas and Adaptimmune Enter into Agreement to Co-Develop and Co-Commercialize Stem-Cell Derived Allogeneic CAR-T and TCR T-Cell Therapies - Yahoo... - January 18th, 2020
- Universities aren't making a lot of money from university research - The Hechinger Report - January 18th, 2020
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Biobanks Market Between 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2018 to 2028 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Heart Cell Research Leads to Discovery That May Lead to Unreliable Data - Newswise - January 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2019 Valuable Growth Prospects and Upcoming Trends till 2024 Dagoretti News... - January 17th, 2020
- In Vitro Lung Model Market to 2027 Increasing Adoption Of 3D Model Systems - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2020
- Curcumin Combined with Thalidomide Reduces Expression of STAT3 and Bcl | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - January 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2019 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Instanews247 - January 15th, 2020
- The Checkout: Powering Plant and Cell-based Innovations - NOSH - January 11th, 2020
- Cultured Meat Startup New Age Meats Secures $2.7M in Seed Round - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Gun Devices Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2019 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Top Companies, Business Opportunities and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Pro News Time - January 11th, 2020
- TEDCO funds open again for applications - Maryland Daily Record - January 4th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Environment and Higher Growth Rate with Forecast to 2025 - Filmi Baba - January 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Segmentation, Top Companies, Applications, Comprehensive Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Market Research... - December 30th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies With Top Manufacturers - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Key players, Geographical Regions and Growth Analysis Outlook Up To 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 30th, 2019
- Scientists race to use zero gravity to kill the worst cancers - Big Think - December 30th, 2019
- How technology has changed the world in the last decade - The Upcoming - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types And Application, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Challenges and Opportunities Report 2017 2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Protein Associated with Leukemia May Lead to Targeted Therapy for Currently Incurable Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Pharmacy Times - December 25th, 2019
- The Next Generation of Biologic Pacemakers? New Discovery in Stem Cells from Fat Creates Another Alternative Treatment - DocWire News - December 25th, 2019
- Study of the 3D Cell Culture Market in Asia-Pacific, 2019-2027: Projecting a 13.11% CAGR, Driven by Promising Developments Using Regenerative Medicine... - December 24th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 24th, 2019
- Illuminating Christmas, 19 years and counting... in honour of the Anthony Nolan Charity - London News Online - December 24th, 2019
- The global in vitro lung model market is expected to reach US$ 701.81 Mn in 2027 from US$ 185.80 Mn in 2018 - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Global and Southeast Asia Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2013-2023 by Top Key Players, YoY Growth, Trends, Size, Share and Revenue Analysis - Market... - December 24th, 2019
- Researchers Create Functional Mini-Liver by 3D Bioprinting - 3D Printing Progress - December 24th, 2019
- FY 2020 Government Funding Bill Repeals ACA Health-Related Taxes, Extends Expiring Health Provisions, Makes Other Health Policy Updates - Lexology - December 24th, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Market SWOT Analysis 2019 | Industry Leading Players by Size, Share, Industry Revenue, and Regional Forecast to 2024 - Ankeny Observer - December 23rd, 2019
- BeiGene Announces Acceptance of a Supplemental New Drug Application in China for REVLIMID in Relapsed or Refractory Indolent Lymphoma - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - December 18th, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Business... - December 18th, 2019
- 3D Cell Culture Market: Hydrogel, Hanging Drop, Bioreactor, Microfluidics, Magnetic Levitation - Global Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 18th, 2019
- Functional "Mini-liver" Created By 3D Bioprinting - Technology Networks - December 18th, 2019
- Scientists hope MND cure is a step closer after stem cell breakthrough discovery - The National - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Adopts Innovation to Stay Competitive Forecast - Market Research Sheets - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Discovery Could Transform Treatment of Tendon Injuries - Gilmore Health News - December 18th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Cord Blood Stem Cell Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Media Market |2018-2023| Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis, Key Vendors Analysis, Reliability, Growth Innovation in Technology... - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to Become a Worth US$ 4759.27 Million By 2024 - E-Industry News - December 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to 2025 Analysis by Top Vendors - Space Market Research - December 17th, 2019
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019