This picture shows a spirited flying Taiwan Blue Magpie displaying a full array of flight feathers in action. Credit: Shao Huan Lang
If you took a careful look at the feathers on a chicken, youd find many different forms within the same birdeven within a single feather. The diversity of feather shapes and functions expands vastly when you consider the feathers of birds ranging from ostriches to penguins to hummingbirds. Now, researchers reporting in the journal Cell on November 27, 2019, have taken a multidisciplinary approach to understanding how all those feathers get made.
We always wonder how birds can fly and in different ways, says corresponding author Cheng-Ming Chuong of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. Some soar like eagles, while others require rapid flapping of wings like hummingbirds. Some birds, including ostriches and penguins, dont fly at all.
This picture shows a the asymmetric vane and tapering main shaft of a single flight feather from a goshawk. Credit: Hao Howard Wu and Wen Tau Juan
Such differences in flight styles are largely due to the characteristics of their flight feathers, Chuong adds. We wanted to learn how flight feathers are made so we can understand nature better and learn principles of bioinspired architecture.
In the new study, the researchers put together a multidisciplinary team to look at feathers in many different ways, from their biophysical properties to the underlying molecular biology that allows their formation from stem cells in the skin. They examined the feathers of flightless ostriches, short-distance flying chickens, soaring ducks and eagles, and high-frequency flying sparrows. They studied the extremes by including hummingbirds and penguins. To better understand how feathers have evolved and changed over evolutionary time, the team also looked to feathers that are nearly 100 million years old, found embedded and preserved in amber in Myanmar.
Based on their findings, the researchers explain that feathers modular structure allowed birds to adapt over evolutionary time, helping them to succeed in the many different environments in which birds live today. Their structure also allows for the specialization of feathers in different parts of an individual birds body.
The flight feather is made of two highly adaptable architectural modules: the central shaft, or rachis, and the peripheral vane. The rachis is a composite beam made of a porous medulla that keeps feathers light surrounded by a rigid cortex that adds strength. Their studies show that these two components of the rachis allow for highly flexible designs that enabled to fly or otherwise get around in different ways. The researchers also revealed the underlying molecular signals, including Bmp and Ski, that guide the development of those design features.
Attached to the rachis is the feather vane. The vane is the part of the feather made up of many soft barbs that zip together. The researchers report that the vane develops using principles akin to paper cutting. As such, a single epithelial sheet produces a series of diverse, branched designs with individual barbs, each bearing many tiny hooklets that hold the vane together into a plane using a Velcro-like mechanism. Their studies show that gradients in another signaling pathway (Wnt2b) play an important role in the formation of those barbs.
To look back in time, the researchers studied recently discovered amber fossils, allowing them to explore delicate, three-dimensional feather structures. Their studies show that ancient feathers had the same basic architecture but with more primitive characteristics. For instance, adjacent barbs formed the vane with overlapping barbules, without the Velcro-like, hooklet mechanism found in living birds.
Weve learned how a simple skin can be transformed into a feather, how a prototypic feather structure can be transformed into downy, contour, or flight feathers, and how a flight feather can be modulated to adapt to different flight modes required for different living environments, Chuong says. In every corner and at different morphological scales, we were amazed at how the elegant adaption of the prototype architecture can help different birds to adapt to different new environments.
The researchers say that, in addition to helping to understand how birds have adapted over time, they hope these bioinspired architectural principles theyve uncovered can be useful in future technology design. They note that composite materials of the future could contribute toward the construction of light but robust flying drones, durable and resilient wind turbines, or better medical implants and prosthetic devices.
Team co-leader and biophysicist Wen Tau Juan of the Integrative Stem Cell Center of China Medical University Hospital, Taiwan, has already begun to explore the application of feather-inspired architectural principles in bio-material design. The team also hopes to learn even more about the molecular signals that allow the formation of such complex feather structures from epidermal stem cells that all start out the same.
Reference: The Making of a Flight Feather: Bio-architectural Principles and Adaptation by Wei-Ling Chang, Hao Wu, Yu-Kun Chiu, Shuo Wang, Ting-Xin Jiang, Zhong-Lai Luo, Yen-Cheng Lin, Ang Li, Jui-Ting Hsu, Heng-Li Huang, How-Jen Gu, Tse-Yu Lin, Shun-Min Yang, Tsung-Tse Lee, Yung-Chi Lai, Mingxing Lei, Ming-You Shie, Cheng-Te Yao, Yi-Wen Chen, J.C. Tsai, Shyh-Jou Shieh, Yeu-Kuang Hwu, Hsu-Chen Cheng, Pin-Chi Tang, Shih-Chieh Hung, Chih-Feng Chen, Michael Habib, Randall B. Widelitz, Ping Wu, Wen-Tau Juan and Cheng-Ming Chuong, 27 November 2019, Cell.DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2019.11.008
This work was supported by the ISCC, CMUH, Taiwan, the Drug Development Center, CMU, Higher Education Sprout Project, Ministry of Education (HESP-MOE), and grants from the National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, iEGG/Avian Genetic Resource/ABC supported by HESP-MOE, the Human Frontier Science Program, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, NSFC, Academia Sinica Research Program on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Top Notch Project, NCKU, and a University Advancement grant by MOE, Taiwan.
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Pregnancy Help News - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Size, Global Analytical Overview, Key Players, Regional Demand, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Assay Market Set Explosive Growth By 2019 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare,... - August 7th, 2020
- Why cultivated meat is about to have its Tesla Roadster moment - Massive Science - August 7th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market to Reach a Value of Approximately US$ 450.5 Mn by the End of 2026 - Science Examiner - August 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on 2021-2026 Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Segmentation, Analysis by Recent Trends, Development & Growth by Regions - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Transplantatio Therapy Market Global Research and Analysis 2020 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- National STEM Scholars Announced for 2020 - PR Web - August 6th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Catholic News Agency - August 6th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market by Production Analysis, Current Trends 2024 Analysis of Regions with Top vendors, Market Dynamics, Types, Applications,... - August 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Bulletin Line - August 6th, 2020
- Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024: Business Overview, Industry Size and Share, Opportunities, Impact of Drivers, Key Venders, Types, Applications... - August 5th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and... - August 5th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 5th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020: Regen Biopharma Inc, China Cord Blood Corp, CBR Systems Inc, Escape Therapeutics Inc,... - August 5th, 2020
- BioTech Life Sciences Initiates New Study of Anti-Aging Formulas in Helping COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' and Those Suffering With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome... - August 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Industry Impact On Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Revenue Develop Rapidly By 2019 2027 | Fibrocell Science,... - August 5th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Teams Working to Image Protein Clumps in Parkinson's Share $8.5M Prize - Parkinson's News Today - August 5th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Justin Thomas wins WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational and moves to No. 1 world ranking - Commercial Appeal - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Huge Growth By Top Players Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Outlook, Strategies, Challenges, Advancements, Geography Trends and Growth, Applications and Forecast 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027 - CueReport - August 4th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Industry Share, Strategies, Growth Analysis, Regional Demand, Revenue, Key Players and 2026 Forecast... - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market 2020-2026 analysis examined in new market research report with Focusing Key players like - BD Biosciences, GE... - August 3rd, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market 2020 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players Abcam plc. Agilent Technologies, Merck KGaA - Market... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report to 2026 COVID-19 Impact on Industry Size, Growth Share, Future Trends, Price, Top Key Players... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Share Worldwide Industry Growth, Size, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecasts up to 2027 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- How Airway Cells Work Together in Regeneration and Aging - Technology Networks - August 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market Research Report and Outlook by 2018 to 2026 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Set to Surpass US$XX Million by the end of 2017 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Multiple Myeloma Therapeutics Market 2020 | With Top Growing Companies & Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | Amgene, Inc., Celgene... - August 2nd, 2020
- Biotechnology Reagents Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 -... - August 2nd, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Superman 5 With Christopher Reeve Never Happened - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- Research On Global Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market (impact of COVID-19), Analysis, Overview, Growth Forecast, Top key players Anika... - August 1st, 2020
- Readers ask about antibody tests, chimeras and public health and privacy - Finance Brokerage - August 1st, 2020
- Gene variants and susceptibility to schizophrenia - The Hindu - August 1st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 Bulletin Line -... - August 1st, 2020
- FDA Approves Monjuvi(R) (tafasitamab-cxix) in Combination with Lenalidomide for the Treatment of Adu - PharmiWeb.com - August 1st, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Trends and Value Chain 2019-2025 - Owned - August 1st, 2020
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2025 - Galus Australis - August 1st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, In... - August 1st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 1st, 2020
- Global Cytokine Market 2020 Top Countries Data Industry Size, Share, Business Growth, Revenue, Trends, Market Demand Penetration and Forecast to By... - August 1st, 2020
- What's On The Ballot? A Summary Of The 12 State Propositions For November 2020 Election - KHTS Radio - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Strategies, Comparison, Shares, Demand, Supply, Challenges and Forecast to 2026 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market Trends, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis up to 2021 focuses on major key players PCT Cell Therapy Services, LLC... - July 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma Prp Alopecia Therapies Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027... - July 31st, 2020
- Limited Reporting of Adverse Events Tied to Regenerative Treatments Leaves Consumers Vulnerable - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 31st, 2020
- How airway cells work together in regeneration and aging - Newswise - July 31st, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - July 31st, 2020
- New Trends of Stem Cell Banking Market with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2025 - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Scientists to speed creation of pig vaccines - FarmingUK - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market Research Report by Product, by End User, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - July 30th, 2020
- Research report covers the Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market Forecasts and Growth, 2019-2025 - Market Research... - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: COVID-19 impact on 3D Cell Cultures Market Variables, Information, Emerging Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026 | Sigma, Lonza, 3D... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Storage Market Insights and Upcoming Trends to Forecast till 2025| CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Trending Now: Stem Cell Source Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026| BD Bioscience, Beckman Coulter, Ge... - July 30th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cell Drugs Market by Technology, Solutions, Application, Price, Demand Analysis and Growth Opportunities to 2026 -... - July 30th, 2020
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Announces Winners of the "Ken Griffin Alpha-synuclein Imaging Competition" to Develop Game-Changing Tool for... - July 30th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapeutics Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2027 | Merck KGA, LONZA Group AG, Novartis, etc. -... - July 30th, 2020
- Cell Separation by Membrane Filtration Technology Market: In-depth Analysis of the Global Industry with Future Estimations till 2029 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market Outlook | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020 2027 - Owned - July 30th, 2020
- Mesoblast sees lasting need for COVID treatment beyond a vaccine - Sydney Morning Herald - July 30th, 2020
- UAE leads Covid-19 research in the Middle East - The National - July 30th, 2020
- Demand for Cryopreservation Equipment Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Thermo Fisher... - July 30th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis and Growth Forecast by Type and Application from 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - July 30th, 2020
- Literature Review of Surgical Treatment in Idiopathic Full-Thickness M | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - July 29th, 2020
- Peripheral Nerve Repair Devices Market Research Report by Device, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - July 29th, 2020