This picture shows a spirited flying Taiwan Blue Magpie displaying a full array of flight feathers in action. Credit: Shao Huan Lang
If you took a careful look at the feathers on a chicken, youd find many different forms within the same birdeven within a single feather. The diversity of feather shapes and functions expands vastly when you consider the feathers of birds ranging from ostriches to penguins to hummingbirds. Now, researchers reporting in the journal Cell on November 27, 2019, have taken a multidisciplinary approach to understanding how all those feathers get made.
We always wonder how birds can fly and in different ways, says corresponding author Cheng-Ming Chuong of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. Some soar like eagles, while others require rapid flapping of wings like hummingbirds. Some birds, including ostriches and penguins, dont fly at all.
This picture shows a the asymmetric vane and tapering main shaft of a single flight feather from a goshawk. Credit: Hao Howard Wu and Wen Tau Juan
Such differences in flight styles are largely due to the characteristics of their flight feathers, Chuong adds. We wanted to learn how flight feathers are made so we can understand nature better and learn principles of bioinspired architecture.
In the new study, the researchers put together a multidisciplinary team to look at feathers in many different ways, from their biophysical properties to the underlying molecular biology that allows their formation from stem cells in the skin. They examined the feathers of flightless ostriches, short-distance flying chickens, soaring ducks and eagles, and high-frequency flying sparrows. They studied the extremes by including hummingbirds and penguins. To better understand how feathers have evolved and changed over evolutionary time, the team also looked to feathers that are nearly 100 million years old, found embedded and preserved in amber in Myanmar.
Based on their findings, the researchers explain that feathers modular structure allowed birds to adapt over evolutionary time, helping them to succeed in the many different environments in which birds live today. Their structure also allows for the specialization of feathers in different parts of an individual birds body.
The flight feather is made of two highly adaptable architectural modules: the central shaft, or rachis, and the peripheral vane. The rachis is a composite beam made of a porous medulla that keeps feathers light surrounded by a rigid cortex that adds strength. Their studies show that these two components of the rachis allow for highly flexible designs that enabled to fly or otherwise get around in different ways. The researchers also revealed the underlying molecular signals, including Bmp and Ski, that guide the development of those design features.
Attached to the rachis is the feather vane. The vane is the part of the feather made up of many soft barbs that zip together. The researchers report that the vane develops using principles akin to paper cutting. As such, a single epithelial sheet produces a series of diverse, branched designs with individual barbs, each bearing many tiny hooklets that hold the vane together into a plane using a Velcro-like mechanism. Their studies show that gradients in another signaling pathway (Wnt2b) play an important role in the formation of those barbs.
To look back in time, the researchers studied recently discovered amber fossils, allowing them to explore delicate, three-dimensional feather structures. Their studies show that ancient feathers had the same basic architecture but with more primitive characteristics. For instance, adjacent barbs formed the vane with overlapping barbules, without the Velcro-like, hooklet mechanism found in living birds.
Weve learned how a simple skin can be transformed into a feather, how a prototypic feather structure can be transformed into downy, contour, or flight feathers, and how a flight feather can be modulated to adapt to different flight modes required for different living environments, Chuong says. In every corner and at different morphological scales, we were amazed at how the elegant adaption of the prototype architecture can help different birds to adapt to different new environments.
The researchers say that, in addition to helping to understand how birds have adapted over time, they hope these bioinspired architectural principles theyve uncovered can be useful in future technology design. They note that composite materials of the future could contribute toward the construction of light but robust flying drones, durable and resilient wind turbines, or better medical implants and prosthetic devices.
Team co-leader and biophysicist Wen Tau Juan of the Integrative Stem Cell Center of China Medical University Hospital, Taiwan, has already begun to explore the application of feather-inspired architectural principles in bio-material design. The team also hopes to learn even more about the molecular signals that allow the formation of such complex feather structures from epidermal stem cells that all start out the same.
Reference: The Making of a Flight Feather: Bio-architectural Principles and Adaptation by Wei-Ling Chang, Hao Wu, Yu-Kun Chiu, Shuo Wang, Ting-Xin Jiang, Zhong-Lai Luo, Yen-Cheng Lin, Ang Li, Jui-Ting Hsu, Heng-Li Huang, How-Jen Gu, Tse-Yu Lin, Shun-Min Yang, Tsung-Tse Lee, Yung-Chi Lai, Mingxing Lei, Ming-You Shie, Cheng-Te Yao, Yi-Wen Chen, J.C. Tsai, Shyh-Jou Shieh, Yeu-Kuang Hwu, Hsu-Chen Cheng, Pin-Chi Tang, Shih-Chieh Hung, Chih-Feng Chen, Michael Habib, Randall B. Widelitz, Ping Wu, Wen-Tau Juan and Cheng-Ming Chuong, 27 November 2019, Cell.DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2019.11.008
This work was supported by the ISCC, CMUH, Taiwan, the Drug Development Center, CMU, Higher Education Sprout Project, Ministry of Education (HESP-MOE), and grants from the National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, iEGG/Avian Genetic Resource/ABC supported by HESP-MOE, the Human Frontier Science Program, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, NSFC, Academia Sinica Research Program on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Top Notch Project, NCKU, and a University Advancement grant by MOE, Taiwan.
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics COO and CMO, Dr. Ralph Kern, to Present at the 10th Annual California ALS Research Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Neurogenesis could be a therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disease - Drug Target Review - January 22nd, 2020
- Getting to the Root of the Disease: Developing Drugs Against the Hard-to-Target Wnt Pathway - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Market Players, Key Regions, Product Segments, and Applications 2024 ... - January 22nd, 2020
- At 35.7% CAGR, Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size will reach 108.3 million USD by 2025 - MENAFN.COM - January 22nd, 2020
- Global Cholangiocarcinoma Therapeutics Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Eli Lilly and Company |... - January 22nd, 2020
- 1000 Entrepreneurs: Ken Aldrich on 30 Years of Venture Capital and 50 Successful Businesses - GuruFocus.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Preparing the youth - The News International - January 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Extensive Growth Opportunities to Be Witnessed by 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 22nd, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 2026 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - FRANCE 24 - January 21st, 2020
- Psychiatric body condemns use of stem cell therapies to treat psychiatric disorders - Moneycontrol.com - January 21st, 2020
- Astellas partners with Adaptimmune to develop off-the-shelf CAR-T and T-cell therapies - Healio - January 21st, 2020
- Could Scientists 'Hack' the Zika Virus to Kill Brain Cancer? - Livescience.com - January 20th, 2020
- Product Innovations and Technological Advancements to Boost the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market in the Upcoming Years 2017 2025 Dagoretti... - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Report 2019:2026 Industry Growth Forecasts by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application Dagoretti News... - January 20th, 2020
- Market opportunity and growth drivers of Cell Separation Technology Market till 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Uses, Types & Examples - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2016 2024 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- 2D Cell Culture Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based therapeutics Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Growth, Size, Share, Clinical Review,... - January 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Poised to Garner Maximum Revenues During 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Astellas and Adaptimmune Enter into Agreement to Co-Develop and Co-Commercialize Stem-Cell Derived Allogeneic CAR-T and TCR T-Cell Therapies - Yahoo... - January 18th, 2020
- Universities aren't making a lot of money from university research - The Hechinger Report - January 18th, 2020
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Biobanks Market Between 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2018 to 2028 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Heart Cell Research Leads to Discovery That May Lead to Unreliable Data - Newswise - January 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2019 Valuable Growth Prospects and Upcoming Trends till 2024 Dagoretti News... - January 17th, 2020
- In Vitro Lung Model Market to 2027 Increasing Adoption Of 3D Model Systems - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2020
- Curcumin Combined with Thalidomide Reduces Expression of STAT3 and Bcl | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - January 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2019 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Instanews247 - January 15th, 2020
- The Checkout: Powering Plant and Cell-based Innovations - NOSH - January 11th, 2020
- Cultured Meat Startup New Age Meats Secures $2.7M in Seed Round - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Gun Devices Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2019 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Top Companies, Business Opportunities and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Pro News Time - January 11th, 2020
- TEDCO funds open again for applications - Maryland Daily Record - January 4th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Environment and Higher Growth Rate with Forecast to 2025 - Filmi Baba - January 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Segmentation, Top Companies, Applications, Comprehensive Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Market Research... - December 30th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies With Top Manufacturers - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Key players, Geographical Regions and Growth Analysis Outlook Up To 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 30th, 2019
- Scientists race to use zero gravity to kill the worst cancers - Big Think - December 30th, 2019
- How technology has changed the world in the last decade - The Upcoming - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types And Application, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Challenges and Opportunities Report 2017 2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Protein Associated with Leukemia May Lead to Targeted Therapy for Currently Incurable Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Pharmacy Times - December 25th, 2019
- The Next Generation of Biologic Pacemakers? New Discovery in Stem Cells from Fat Creates Another Alternative Treatment - DocWire News - December 25th, 2019
- Study of the 3D Cell Culture Market in Asia-Pacific, 2019-2027: Projecting a 13.11% CAGR, Driven by Promising Developments Using Regenerative Medicine... - December 24th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 24th, 2019
- Illuminating Christmas, 19 years and counting... in honour of the Anthony Nolan Charity - London News Online - December 24th, 2019
- The global in vitro lung model market is expected to reach US$ 701.81 Mn in 2027 from US$ 185.80 Mn in 2018 - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Global and Southeast Asia Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2013-2023 by Top Key Players, YoY Growth, Trends, Size, Share and Revenue Analysis - Market... - December 24th, 2019
- Researchers Create Functional Mini-Liver by 3D Bioprinting - 3D Printing Progress - December 24th, 2019
- FY 2020 Government Funding Bill Repeals ACA Health-Related Taxes, Extends Expiring Health Provisions, Makes Other Health Policy Updates - Lexology - December 24th, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Market SWOT Analysis 2019 | Industry Leading Players by Size, Share, Industry Revenue, and Regional Forecast to 2024 - Ankeny Observer - December 23rd, 2019
- BeiGene Announces Acceptance of a Supplemental New Drug Application in China for REVLIMID in Relapsed or Refractory Indolent Lymphoma - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - December 18th, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Business... - December 18th, 2019
- 3D Cell Culture Market: Hydrogel, Hanging Drop, Bioreactor, Microfluidics, Magnetic Levitation - Global Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 18th, 2019
- Functional "Mini-liver" Created By 3D Bioprinting - Technology Networks - December 18th, 2019
- Scientists hope MND cure is a step closer after stem cell breakthrough discovery - The National - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Adopts Innovation to Stay Competitive Forecast - Market Research Sheets - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Discovery Could Transform Treatment of Tendon Injuries - Gilmore Health News - December 18th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Cord Blood Stem Cell Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Media Market |2018-2023| Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis, Key Vendors Analysis, Reliability, Growth Innovation in Technology... - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to Become a Worth US$ 4759.27 Million By 2024 - E-Industry News - December 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to 2025 Analysis by Top Vendors - Space Market Research - December 17th, 2019
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Stem Cell Assay Market Between 2018 2028 - Kentucky Reports - December 8th, 2019
- The Making of a Root - Duke Today - December 5th, 2019
- Engelhardt named 2019 Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors - Iowa Now - December 5th, 2019
- In the Spotlight: 'When you're in a minority group, you're never just a grad student' - Scope - December 5th, 2019
- Rat Model Market revenue to hit $1.8 billion by 2025: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2019
- Dosage analysis of the 7q11.23 Williams region identifies BAZ1B as a major human gene patterning the modern human face and underlying... - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2028 - VaporBlash - December 5th, 2019