Gene editing will be tested in UW Medicine labs on kidney organoids tiny, kidney-like structures grown from stem cells as part of a federally funded effort to develop safe, effective genome editing technologies and therapies.
The National Institutes of Health today, Oct. 1, announced the next set of grant awards for the Somatic Cell Genome Editing consortium, created in 2018. Somatic cells make up the bodys tissues and organs, such as the lungs or blood, in contrast to reproductive cells, like fertilized eggs. Alterations made to somatic cell DNA are not passed down to the next generation.
In the latest round of SCGE funding, twenty-four grants, totaling about $89 million over four years, been awarded across the country. They will fund studies to address the promises and challenges of genome editing in the search for new treatment or cures for a number of genetic disorders.
The human genome contains thousands of genes responsible for making proteins. In many inherited disorders, a variation in the DNA code means that an important protein is not made, or is not made correctly. The missing or faulty protein could result in serious health problems. Genetic editing would aim to change the DNA to enable cells to make a sufficient amount of the proper protein.
For one of the new SCGE projects, collaborative research will take place between the University of Washington School of Medicine lab of kidney disease researcher Benjamin Beno Freedman, assistant professor of medicine, Division of Nephrology, and the University of California Berkeley lab of Jennifer Doudna, professor of molecular and cellular biology.
As a group, Freedman and his fellow researchers bring together expertise in kidney organoids, kidney cell biology, and kidney diseases. Their collaborators at UC Berkeley are leaders in the field of genome editing, including CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology to cut and paste portions of DNA in living cells.
Freedmans lab at the UW Medicine Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine grow stem cell-derived organoids to study how kidney diseases begin and how they might be treated. Human kidney organoids and kidney-on-a-chip technologies (in which some functions of kidneys are simulated with living cells in tiny chambers) are providing useful medical information. For example, researchers have found new molecules that can reduce the signs of disease in these laboratory models.
Human kidney organoid showing podocytes (red) and proximal tubules (green) developed in the Freedman lab
Freedman explains the importance of exploring responsible gene-editing therapies for inherited kidney diseases: Genetic kidney diseases impact more than half a million people in the United States alone. If we can learn to safely repair the mutation that causes the disease, we can offer a way to treat patients that is much more effective than any current intervention.
Freedman emphasizes that dialysis and transplants two of the most common treatments for kidney diseases are expensive and hard on patients. Kidney transplants are in short supply; donor organs become available to less than 20 % of the patients who need them each year.
The shortcomings of dialysis and transplants make gene therapy an appealing area of research because it might get to the root of the problem.
One of the primary aims of the NIH-funded somatic cell genome editing explorations are to reduce the chances that gene editing produces unintended side effects that do more harm than good. In their collaborative project with UCBerkeley, the UW Medicine team will screen different gene therapies for their effects on normal kidney function and for risks of renal cancer or autoimmune disease.
Our hypothesis is that gene editing will cause adverse effects, but that these effects are predictable and controllable, says Freedman. Our goal is to prove this using laboratory models like organoids and kidneys on chips so we know the approach is safe before we ever involve a human patient.
Freedmans lab is in the Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, at the UW School of Medicine, and his lab is also part of the Kidney Research Institute, a collaboration between Northwest Kidney Centers and UW Medicine.
Joining Freedman on the UW Medicine research team are Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine colleagues Hannele Ruohola-Baker, professor in biochemistry, and Julie Mathieu, assistant professor of comparative medicine, both at the UW School of Medicine.
Ruohola-Baker will investigate how genome-editing therapies affect cell metabolism. Mathieu adds CRISPR expertise to the UW research team. Several faculty members from other departments are also on the team.
How broad are the implications of developing responsible genome-editing methods?
This is a new paradigm for therapy development, says Freedman. Were looking at the kidney. But the liver, heart, and lungs all have similar challenges. Our hope is to create a model for doing this work in human organoids, which are faster and more humane than animal models, and can be more directly compared to human patients.
Genome editing has extraordinary potential to alter the treatment landscape for common and rare diseases, said Christopher P. Austin, director of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences and SCGE Program Working Group chair. The field is still in its infancy, and these newly funded projects promise to improve strategies to address a number of challenges, such as how best to deliver the right genes to the correct places in the genome efficiently and effectively. Together, the projects will help advance the translation of genome-editing technologies into patient care.
Nearly 40 million Americans have chronic kidney disease, a family of progressive conditions that can come with widespread health complications, including a higher risk for heart disease. When kidneys fail, the primary interventions, dialysis and kidney transplants, are not cures. These treatments come with significant side effects and a heavy economic burden. Medicare costs average $114 billion a year total for the care of the nations patients with kidney failure. Altogether, kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States.
Thatcher Heldring of the Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine contributed to this news report.
Read this article:
Genome editing to be tested in kidney organoids - UW Medicine Newsroom
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021
- People With Cancer Should Receive COVID-19 Vaccine, Experts Say - Cancer Health Treatment News - February 4th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future The Courier - The Courier - February 4th, 2021
- Healthcare Inventory Management Market: Rising Research and Development is Anticipated to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - January 30th, 2021
- Latest Research and Industry Trends of Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Forecast 2027 Stemcell Technologies, Wheaton Industries, GE Healthcare ... - January 30th, 2021
- 5 People in the BioHealth Capital Region You Should Know In 2021 - BioBuzz - January 30th, 2021
- Global CAR-T Therapy Market Opportunities and Strategies Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Their Goal: Meat That's Better Than Meat | Tufts Now - Tufts Now - January 30th, 2021
- Humanigen and Emergent BioSolutions Announce Contract Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Phase 3 COVID-19 Therapeutic Candidate Lenzilumab -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 7,250.0 Million by 2028 | Increasing Investments in Production Capacity Expansion for Cell and Gene... - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Human physiomimetic model integrating microphysiological systems of the gut, liver, and brain for studies of neurodegenerative diseases - Science... - January 30th, 2021
- Elevian Targets Aging to Solve Humanity's Toughest Diseases - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Propanc Biopharma Appoints Belen Toledo to Evaluate Impact of Proenzyme Therapy on Tumor Microenvironment - Business Wire - January 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Osiris... - January 25th, 2021
- Cell Separation Technologies Market to Reach $28.76 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 15.4% CAGR, Says Allied Market Research - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 25th, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - BioSpace - January 23rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $23.57 Bn By 2027; High demand for 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs to better understand their mechanism... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative medicine is advancing health care in diverse ways - Hometown Focus - January 22nd, 2021
- Gene Pathway Linked to Development of Schizophrenia - Psychiatric Times - January 22nd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces the Addition of BARDA and Expansion of CRADA with the US Government to Develop Lenzilumab for COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2021
- Cell Sorting Market Size to Reach USD 805.1 Million By 2027 | Expanding Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Industries will be the Major Factor Driving... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm's Covid-19 ARDS treatment improves lung function in study - Clinical Trials Arena - January 22nd, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on Automated Cell Culture Market Influencing the Industry Development and Forecast | BD, Tecan Trading, Sartorius, TAP Biosystems,... - January 22nd, 2021
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Size is Expected to reach USD 3529.26 Million by 2025 and Registeri - PharmiWeb.com - January 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 22nd, 2021
- New Genetic Disorder Discovered That Affects Brain and Craniofacial Skeleton - Technology Networks - January 22nd, 2021
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy Invests $1 Million in Satellos Bioscience to Support New Regenerative Medicine Technology - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem cells on the ballot - Science Magazine - January 14th, 2021
- 2021 Startups to Watch: Ronawk's T-Blocks stack the future of stem cell research in an Olathe lab - Startland News - January 14th, 2021
- Towards a Cure: Carleton Research Team Working on Stem Cell Therapy to Reverse Type 1 Diabetes - Carleton Newsroom - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market | Know the aspects that will serve as game-changers for the market - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021