A new study released today in STEM CELLS outlines how fat grafting - which previous studies have shown can reduce and even reverse fibrosis (scar tissue) buildup - also improves the range of motion of the affected limb. The study, conducted by researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine, was conducted on mice.
DURHAM, N.C., Dec. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ --A new study released today in STEM CELLS outlines how fat grafting which previous studies have shown can reduce and even reverse fibrosis (scar tissue) buildup also improves the range of motion of the affected limb. The study, conducted by researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine, was conducted on mice.
The tumor-destroying capabilities of radiation therapy can be a life saver for a person suffering from cancer. But it's a therapy that has several unwanted side effects, too, including causing substantial damage not just to cancerous cells, but any healthy tissue in its path. Over time, fibrosis builds up in the treated area which, in the case of an arm, shoulder, or leg, for example, can lead to painful contractures that significantly limit extensibility and negatively impact the person's quality of life.
The Stanford team irradiated the right hind legs of subject mice, which resulted in chronic fibrosis and limb contracture. Four weeks later, the irradiated limbs of one group of the mice were injected with fat enriched with stromal vascular cells (SVCs). These potent cells already naturally exist in fat, but supplementation of fat with additional SVCs enhances its regenerative capabilities. A second group was injected with fat only, a third group with saline and a fourth group received no injections, for comparison. The animals' ability to extend their limb was then measured at baseline and every two weeks for a 12-week period. At the end of the 12 weeks, the hind limb skin underwent histological analysis and biomechanical strength testing.
"Each animal showed significant reduction in its limb extension ability due to the radiation, but this was progressively rescued by fat grafting," reported corresponding author Derrick C. Wan, M.D., FACS. Fat grafting also reduced skin stiffness and reversed the radiation-induced histological changes in the skin.
"The greatest benefits were found in mice injected with fat enriched with SVCs," Dr. Wan added. "SVCs are easily obtained through liposuction and can be coaxed into different tissue types, where they can support neovascularization, replace cells and repair injured issue.
"Our study showed the ability of fat to improve mobility as well as vascularity and appearance," he continued. "We think this holds enormous clinical potential especially given that adipose tissue is abundant and can be easily collected from the patients themselves and underscores an attractive approach to address challenging soft tissue fibrosis in patients following radiation therapy."
Furthermore, said co-author and world-renowned breast reconstructive expert Arash Momeni, M.D., FACS, "Our observations are potentially translatable to a variety of challenging clinical scenarios. Being able to reverse radiation-induced effects holds promise to substantially improve clinical outcomes in implant-based as well as autologous breast reconstruction. The study findings are indeed encouraging as they could offer patients novel treatment modalities for debility clinical conditions.
"Excessive scarring is a challenging problem that is associated with a variety of clinical conditions, such as burn injuries, tendon lacerations, etc. The potential to improve outcomes based on treatment modalities derived from our research is indeed exciting," Dr. Momeni added.
"Skin and soft tissue scarring and fibrosis are well-established problems after radiation. The current study, showing that human fat grafting can normalize the collagen networks and improve tissue elasticity in immune deficient mice, provides molecular evidence for how fat grafting functions," said Dr. Jan Nolta, Editor-in-Chief of STEM CELLS. "The studies indicate that, with the appropriate regulatory approvals, autologous fat grafting could potentially also help human patients recover from radiation-induced tissue fibrosis."
The full article, "Fat grafting rescues radiation-induced joint contracture," can be accessed at https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/stem.3115.
About the Journal: STEM CELLS, a peer reviewed journal published monthly, provides a forum for prompt publication of original investigative papers and concise reviews. The journal covers all aspects of stem cells: embryonic stem cells/induced pluripotent stem cells; tissue-specific stem cells; cancer stem cells; the stem cell niche; stem cell epigenetics, genomics and proteomics; and translational and clinical research. STEM CELLS is co-published by AlphaMed Press and Wiley.
About AlphaMed Press: Established in 1983, AlphaMed Press with offices in Durham, NC, San Francisco, CA, and Belfast, Northern Ireland, publishes three internationally renowned peer-reviewed journals with globally recognized editorial boards dedicated to advancing knowledge and education in their focused disciplines. STEM CELLS (http://www.StemCells.com) is the world's first journal devoted to this fast paced field of research. THE ONCOLOGIST (http://www.TheOncologist.com) is devoted to community and hospital-based oncologists and physicians entrusted with cancer patient care. STEM CELLS TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE (http://www.StemCellsTM.com) is dedicated to significantly advancing the clinical utilization of stem cell molecular and cellular biology. By bridging stem cell research and clinical trials, SCTM will help move applications of these critical investigations closer to accepted best practices.
About Wiley: Wiley, a global company, helps people and organizations develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed. Our online scientific, technical, medical and scholarly journals, combined with our digital learning, assessment and certification solutions, help universities, learned societies, businesses, governments and individuals increase the academic and professional impact of their work. For more than 200 years, we have delivered consistent performance to our stakeholders. The company's website can be accessed at http://www.wiley.com.
SOURCE STEM CELLS
- Stem Cell Banking Market smart Strategies of the Research and Development Process Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Meet the Culprits of Cell Culture Contamination - Technology Networks - January 23rd, 2020
- What Will Be The Growth of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market? Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Biobanks Market To Witness An Impressive Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Vital News 24 - January 23rd, 2020
- Advancells Group & IFC Concluded their 3-Day Workshop on Regenerative Medicine - India Education Diary - January 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Segmentation, Industry Trends and Development to 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics COO and CMO, Dr. Ralph Kern, to Present at the 10th Annual California ALS Research Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Neurogenesis could be a therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disease - Drug Target Review - January 22nd, 2020
- Getting to the Root of the Disease: Developing Drugs Against the Hard-to-Target Wnt Pathway - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Market Players, Key Regions, Product Segments, and Applications 2024 ... - January 22nd, 2020
- At 35.7% CAGR, Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size will reach 108.3 million USD by 2025 - MENAFN.COM - January 22nd, 2020
- Global Cholangiocarcinoma Therapeutics Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Eli Lilly and Company |... - January 22nd, 2020
- 1000 Entrepreneurs: Ken Aldrich on 30 Years of Venture Capital and 50 Successful Businesses - GuruFocus.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Preparing the youth - The News International - January 22nd, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Extensive Growth Opportunities to Be Witnessed by 2019-2026 - Fusion Science Academy - January 22nd, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 2026 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Europe's guardian of stem cells and hopes, real and unrealistic - FRANCE 24 - January 21st, 2020
- Psychiatric body condemns use of stem cell therapies to treat psychiatric disorders - Moneycontrol.com - January 21st, 2020
- Astellas partners with Adaptimmune to develop off-the-shelf CAR-T and T-cell therapies - Healio - January 21st, 2020
- Could Scientists 'Hack' the Zika Virus to Kill Brain Cancer? - Livescience.com - January 20th, 2020
- Product Innovations and Technological Advancements to Boost the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market in the Upcoming Years 2017 2025 Dagoretti... - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Report 2019:2026 Industry Growth Forecasts by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application Dagoretti News... - January 20th, 2020
- Market opportunity and growth drivers of Cell Separation Technology Market till 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Research: Uses, Types & Examples - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2016 2024 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- 2D Cell Culture Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based therapeutics Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Growth, Size, Share, Clinical Review,... - January 18th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Poised to Garner Maximum Revenues During 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Astellas and Adaptimmune Enter into Agreement to Co-Develop and Co-Commercialize Stem-Cell Derived Allogeneic CAR-T and TCR T-Cell Therapies - Yahoo... - January 18th, 2020
- Universities aren't making a lot of money from university research - The Hechinger Report - January 18th, 2020
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Biobanks Market Between 2017 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 18th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovations, Drivers and Industry Key Events 2018 to 2028 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Heart Cell Research Leads to Discovery That May Lead to Unreliable Data - Newswise - January 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2019 Valuable Growth Prospects and Upcoming Trends till 2024 Dagoretti News... - January 17th, 2020
- In Vitro Lung Model Market to 2027 Increasing Adoption Of 3D Model Systems - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2020
- Curcumin Combined with Thalidomide Reduces Expression of STAT3 and Bcl | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - January 15th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2019 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Instanews247 - January 15th, 2020
- The Checkout: Powering Plant and Cell-based Innovations - NOSH - January 11th, 2020
- Cultured Meat Startup New Age Meats Secures $2.7M in Seed Round - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Gun Devices Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2019 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Top Companies, Business Opportunities and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Pro News Time - January 11th, 2020
- TEDCO funds open again for applications - Maryland Daily Record - January 4th, 2020
- Cell Culture Protein Surface Coating Market Competitive Environment and Higher Growth Rate with Forecast to 2025 - Filmi Baba - January 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Segmentation, Top Companies, Applications, Comprehensive Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Market Research... - December 30th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report 2026 Observational Studies With Top Manufacturers - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Key players, Geographical Regions and Growth Analysis Outlook Up To 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 30th, 2019
- Scientists race to use zero gravity to kill the worst cancers - Big Think - December 30th, 2019
- How technology has changed the world in the last decade - The Upcoming - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types And Application, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 30th, 2019
- Don't throw food in the trash in Vermont, or ask about salary history in New Jersey. Here are 7 state law changes for 2020 - USA TODAY - December 28th, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Challenges and Opportunities Report 2017 2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Protein Associated with Leukemia May Lead to Targeted Therapy for Currently Incurable Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - Pharmacy Times - December 25th, 2019
- The Next Generation of Biologic Pacemakers? New Discovery in Stem Cells from Fat Creates Another Alternative Treatment - DocWire News - December 25th, 2019
- Study of the 3D Cell Culture Market in Asia-Pacific, 2019-2027: Projecting a 13.11% CAGR, Driven by Promising Developments Using Regenerative Medicine... - December 24th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 24th, 2019
- Illuminating Christmas, 19 years and counting... in honour of the Anthony Nolan Charity - London News Online - December 24th, 2019
- The global in vitro lung model market is expected to reach US$ 701.81 Mn in 2027 from US$ 185.80 Mn in 2018 - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Global and Southeast Asia Embryonic Stem Cell Market 2013-2023 by Top Key Players, YoY Growth, Trends, Size, Share and Revenue Analysis - Market... - December 24th, 2019
- Researchers Create Functional Mini-Liver by 3D Bioprinting - 3D Printing Progress - December 24th, 2019
- FY 2020 Government Funding Bill Repeals ACA Health-Related Taxes, Extends Expiring Health Provisions, Makes Other Health Policy Updates - Lexology - December 24th, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Yahoo... - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Market SWOT Analysis 2019 | Industry Leading Players by Size, Share, Industry Revenue, and Regional Forecast to 2024 - Ankeny Observer - December 23rd, 2019
- BeiGene Announces Acceptance of a Supplemental New Drug Application in China for REVLIMID in Relapsed or Refractory Indolent Lymphoma - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - December 18th, 2019
- Global Allogeneic Stem Cells Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with Biosolution Co. Ltd. and Cynata Therapeutics Ltd. | Technavio - Business... - December 18th, 2019
- 3D Cell Culture Market: Hydrogel, Hanging Drop, Bioreactor, Microfluidics, Magnetic Levitation - Global Forecast to 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 18th, 2019
- Functional "Mini-liver" Created By 3D Bioprinting - Technology Networks - December 18th, 2019
- Scientists hope MND cure is a step closer after stem cell breakthrough discovery - The National - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Adopts Innovation to Stay Competitive Forecast - Market Research Sheets - December 18th, 2019
- Stem Cell Discovery Could Transform Treatment of Tendon Injuries - Gilmore Health News - December 18th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Cord Blood Stem Cell Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market By 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Media Market |2018-2023| Qualitative & Quantitative Analysis, Key Vendors Analysis, Reliability, Growth Innovation in Technology... - December 17th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to Become a Worth US$ 4759.27 Million By 2024 - E-Industry News - December 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market to 2025 Analysis by Top Vendors - Space Market Research - December 17th, 2019
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019