SAN FRANCISCO, California, September 17, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) Lawyers for pro-life journalists David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt are accusing Californias deputy attorney general of trying to intimidate and threaten a critical expert witness.
Dr. Theresa Deisher, an expert in stem cell research at Stanford University, is set to testify for the defense Wednesday.
But Deputy Attorney General Johnette Jauron asked Daleiden on cross-examination Monday if Deisher was party to the undercover operation that led to his and Sandra Merritts criminal prosecution.
Daleiden and Merritt of the Center for Medical Progress (CMP) are charged with 14 felony counts of illegal recording in connection with undercover videos CMP released in 2015 that exposed Planned Parenthoods trafficking in aborted baby body parts. Originally they were charged with 15 felony counts, but one of those charges was dropped Friday.
Daleiden testified that he consulted Deisher only about the science of stem cell research, and that she was not privy to his covert investigation.
In earlier testimony, Daleiden said he asked Deisher and other experts whether a 2102 Stanford study in which aborted baby hearts supplied by StemExpress that were perfused in a Langendorff apparatus would require that the hearts be beating.
Dr. Deisher told me the fetus would have to be alive at the time the organs were harvested for use in the Langendorff apparatus, he told the court.
In light of Jaurons questions, Judge Christopher C. Hite told defense counsel Tuesday that Deisher might need to consult a lawyer regarding her testimony, since the attorney general had raised the possibility of a prosecution against her.
Defense lawyers swiftly rejected the idea.
Its absurd, and a waste of time, Daleidens lawyer Brentford Ferreira told the court.
I believe this is being done to intimidate the witness.
Horatio Mihet of Liberty Counsel, a lawyer for Merritt, also blasted the ridiculousness of the suggestion Deisher needed a lawyer.
Hite, however, told them that he couldnt ignore that they may or may not prosecute and that it was within his discretion as a judge to counsel Deisher to seek legal advice.
When Deisher was sworn in as a witness just before the court adjourned on Tuesday, the judge told her he had information that would compel me to advise you you have the right to seek an attorney.
It is not clear at this time if Deisher has done so.
Nicolai Cocis, a California attorney who is representing Merritt, excoriated the move.
Essentially the attorney general is threatening a critical witness with prosecution if she testifies, he told LifeSiteNews.
They think that David and she conspired, Cocis said. But they havent talked to her directly.
If I, as a defense lawyer, threatened a prosecution witness the way they are threatening our defense witness, I would be facing criminal charges, he added.
Jauron asked Daleiden on cross-examination Tuesday about Deisher being listed as one of his project consultants in his January 2013 proposal for an in-depth undercover investigation into the illegal trafficking in aborted baby body parts.
Deisher was listed in my project for donors as one of my experts in stem cell research, Daleiden said.
She, in fact, consulted with you in anticipation of your investigation, Jauron said.
Daleiden replied that during the time he was preparing himself and his investigative team for the undercover operation, he asked Deisher scientific questions to be thoroughly conversant with the stem cell research and fetal tissue procurement field.
He testified that he met Deisher in 2010, and talked to her on the phone about four times a year from 2010 to 2014. He had a couple more detailed discussions with her about some of the conversations he and Merritt recorded in 2014 before the videos were released.
He believed Deisher was provided with some videos through defense counsel for her role as an expert witness in the case, Daleiden told the court.
Jauron asked Daleiden if he paid Deisher, and he said no.
Deisher is expected to testify Wednesday morning.
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2019-2025 : Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck Group, Abcam plc,... - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Stem Cell Assay Market Between 2018 2028 - Kentucky Reports - December 8th, 2019
- The Making of a Root - Duke Today - December 5th, 2019
- Engelhardt named 2019 Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors - Iowa Now - December 5th, 2019
- In the Spotlight: 'When you're in a minority group, you're never just a grad student' - Scope - December 5th, 2019
- Rat Model Market revenue to hit $1.8 billion by 2025: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2019
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market 2019 Industry Analysis focusing on Companies Analysis-Advanced Cell Technology, Athersys, California Stem... - December 5th, 2019
- Dosage analysis of the 7q11.23 Williams region identifies BAZ1B as a major human gene patterning the modern human face and underlying... - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2028 - VaporBlash - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Media Market 2019 Global Industry Insights, Innovations, Key Players Analysis, Growth Strategies and Forecast Analysis 2019 & 2026|... - December 5th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cells- Global Healthcare Research and Survey with Key Participants Celyad, Cytori Therapeutics Inc. - Planet InfoWar - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Source Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - VaporBlash - December 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Contract Manufacturing Market Research 2019-2030: Source of Stem Cells, Types of Stem Cells, Size of Contract Service... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy shows promise for the first time in spinal cord injury - News-Medical.net - December 3rd, 2019
- Why Are We Still Funding This? The Failure of Embryonic Stem Cell Research - Christianheadlines.com - December 3rd, 2019
- New Stem Cell Research Could Make Cancer Treatments affordable and Effective for Hospitals and Patients - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Why Do We Still Fund Embryonic Stem Cell Research That Exploits Babies and Hasn't Cured Any Patients? - LifeNews.com - December 3rd, 2019
- Fat grafting improves range of motion in limbs damaged by radiation therapy - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Register High Revenue Growthat 7% CAGR Throughout 2018 to 2026 - Kentucky Reports - December 3rd, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market forecasted to surpass the value of ~US$ XX Mn/Bn by 2017 - 2025 - The Market Expedition - December 3rd, 2019
- Researchers show how the ductal system connecting digestive organs is formed - News-Medical.net - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2017 - 2025 - The Market Expedition - December 3rd, 2019
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non Stem Based therapies Market Size SWOT Analysis of Top Key Player Forecasts To 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Info - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2018 - 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market Advanced technologies & growth opportunities in global Industry by 2018 - 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market with Geographic Segmentation, Demand by Regions, Statistical Forecast and Competitive Landscape Research upto... - November 30th, 2019
- How Flight Feathers Evolved: Study of Chickens, Ostriches, Penguins, Ducks and Eagles - SciTechDaily - November 30th, 2019
- Researchers discover a stem cell therapy that can help heal injured heart - ANI News - November 29th, 2019
- Revolutionizing Injury Recovery With Tendon Stem Cells - Technology Networks - November 29th, 2019
- How birds fly: New USC study examines the evolution of flight feathers - USC News - November 29th, 2019
- New Link Discovered Between Cells That Burn Fat and Colon Cancer - Clinical OMICs News - November 29th, 2019
- Systematic analysis and evaluation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market with share, growth rate, Forecasts to 2026 - WindStreetz - November 29th, 2019
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Outlook 2019 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2025 Forecast... - November 25th, 2019
- New Device Permits a Closer Look at Previously Inaccessible Areas of the Genome - Technology Networks - November 25th, 2019
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid Health Welfare Connected To Stem Cell Regulation Researchers Discover - News Raise - November 22nd, 2019
- Tokyo's Heartseed reaps $26M to test its stem cell injections for heart failure - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2019
- Junior Research Fellow for Stem Cell-Based Neural Tissue Engineering Project job with VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY | 187070 - Times Higher... - November 22nd, 2019
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex: Promising Gene Therapy Data for Sickle Cell Disease and Beta Thalassemia - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2019
- Europe Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth in Coming Years | Insights, Trends, Growth, Industry Drivers with Cellular Dynamics... - November 22nd, 2019
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Value Share, Analysis and Segments 2018-2024 - Crypto News Byte - November 22nd, 2019
- The science institutions hiring integrity inspectors to vet their papers - Nature.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market: Key companies Profile, their market Share and other important parameters - Market Research Reporting - November 22nd, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Application, Specification Analysis, Size and Growth 2019 To 2024 - VaporBlash - November 22nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Media Market 2019| Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2026 | Research Industry US - News Obtain - November 17th, 2019
- International Stem Cell Corporation Announces Financial Results for the Three and Nine-Months ended September 30, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2019
- Quality of Life With Busulfan and Fludarabine Compared With Busulfan and Cyclophosphamide - Hematology Advisor - November 17th, 2019
- Bioethics Coming to Elementary and High Schools? - Discovery Institute - November 17th, 2019
- 'Dr. Death' and 'Bad Batch' Host Laura Beil on the Future of Podcasts - ELLE.com - November 17th, 2019
- Leading Alternative Healing Director of Total Health Institute Reviews and Receives 3rd Fellowship in Stem Cell Therapy - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2019
- NIST researchers use artificial intelligence for quality control of stem cell-derived tissues - National Institutes of Health - November 15th, 2019
- Modeling the early development of a primate embryo - Science Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- BREAKTHROUGH: Her vision was getting worse, then animal research made things clear - Speaking of Research - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Increase Exponentially During 2018 2025 - Downey Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplants Used to Grow Fully Functional Lungs in Mice - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Human Heart Cells Transform in Space; Return to Normal on Earth: Study - The Weather Channel - November 11th, 2019
- Serving those who serve us - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - November 11th, 2019
- Kadimastem to Present Interim Results of Cohort A of Its Phase 1/2a Clinical Trial in ALS at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting, in Tel-Aviv,... - November 11th, 2019
- The Value and Versatility of Clinical Flow Cytometry - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Industry Research: Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Market Share, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis - Inquiry... - November 11th, 2019
- Human heart cells are altered by spaceflight, but return mostly to normal on Earth - Space Daily - November 9th, 2019
- Jennifer OConnell: President Kanye in 2024? Be very afraid America - The Irish Times - November 9th, 2019
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 9th, 2019
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Industry Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024 - Real Viewpoint - November 9th, 2019
- Novel Molecule Reduces the Aggressiveness of Pediatric Cancer - Technology Networks - November 7th, 2019
- 2019s Allen Distinguished Investigators will focus on the mysteries of our cells - Yahoo Tech - November 7th, 2019
- At the American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians Live Congress 2019, FDA Safety Panel Says No to the Bad Actors - PRNewswire - November 7th, 2019
- MD Anderson Partners with Takeda to Develop CAR Natural Killer-Cell Therapy - Cancer Network - November 7th, 2019
- First UK patient treated with tissue engineered product for rare eye disease - Hospital Healthcare Europe - November 7th, 2019
- Spaceflight alters heart cells but they quickly recover back on Earth - New Scientist News - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market To Witness Increase In Revenues By 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 7th, 2019
- Researchers Find Link Between Eye Disease And Degeneration Of The Brain - BioSpace - November 7th, 2019
- Physicians' Education Resource to Host Satellite Symposia at Annual American Society of Hematology Meeting and Exposition in Orlando - Business Wire - November 7th, 2019
- Keep Bioethics out of Elementary and High Schools - National Review - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Virtualnewsusa - November 7th, 2019
- The Bold and the Beautiful Star Don Diamont Supports ALS Research - Soap Hub - November 7th, 2019
- International Conference on Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - Hoover Sun - November 5th, 2019
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Forecast to 2024 by Types, Application and by Regions - Exchange 99 - November 5th, 2019