SAN FRANCISCO, California, September 17, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) Lawyers for pro-life journalists David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt are accusing Californias deputy attorney general of trying to intimidate and threaten a critical expert witness.
Dr. Theresa Deisher, an expert in stem cell research at Stanford University, is set to testify for the defense Wednesday.
But Deputy Attorney General Johnette Jauron asked Daleiden on cross-examination Monday if Deisher was party to the undercover operation that led to his and Sandra Merritts criminal prosecution.
Daleiden and Merritt of the Center for Medical Progress (CMP) are charged with 14 felony counts of illegal recording in connection with undercover videos CMP released in 2015 that exposed Planned Parenthoods trafficking in aborted baby body parts. Originally they were charged with 15 felony counts, but one of those charges was dropped Friday.
Daleiden testified that he consulted Deisher only about the science of stem cell research, and that she was not privy to his covert investigation.
In earlier testimony, Daleiden said he asked Deisher and other experts whether a 2102 Stanford study in which aborted baby hearts supplied by StemExpress that were perfused in a Langendorff apparatus would require that the hearts be beating.
Dr. Deisher told me the fetus would have to be alive at the time the organs were harvested for use in the Langendorff apparatus, he told the court.
In light of Jaurons questions, Judge Christopher C. Hite told defense counsel Tuesday that Deisher might need to consult a lawyer regarding her testimony, since the attorney general had raised the possibility of a prosecution against her.
Defense lawyers swiftly rejected the idea.
Its absurd, and a waste of time, Daleidens lawyer Brentford Ferreira told the court.
I believe this is being done to intimidate the witness.
Horatio Mihet of Liberty Counsel, a lawyer for Merritt, also blasted the ridiculousness of the suggestion Deisher needed a lawyer.
Hite, however, told them that he couldnt ignore that they may or may not prosecute and that it was within his discretion as a judge to counsel Deisher to seek legal advice.
When Deisher was sworn in as a witness just before the court adjourned on Tuesday, the judge told her he had information that would compel me to advise you you have the right to seek an attorney.
It is not clear at this time if Deisher has done so.
Nicolai Cocis, a California attorney who is representing Merritt, excoriated the move.
Essentially the attorney general is threatening a critical witness with prosecution if she testifies, he told LifeSiteNews.
They think that David and she conspired, Cocis said. But they havent talked to her directly.
If I, as a defense lawyer, threatened a prosecution witness the way they are threatening our defense witness, I would be facing criminal charges, he added.
Jauron asked Daleiden on cross-examination Tuesday about Deisher being listed as one of his project consultants in his January 2013 proposal for an in-depth undercover investigation into the illegal trafficking in aborted baby body parts.
Deisher was listed in my project for donors as one of my experts in stem cell research, Daleiden said.
She, in fact, consulted with you in anticipation of your investigation, Jauron said.
Daleiden replied that during the time he was preparing himself and his investigative team for the undercover operation, he asked Deisher scientific questions to be thoroughly conversant with the stem cell research and fetal tissue procurement field.
He testified that he met Deisher in 2010, and talked to her on the phone about four times a year from 2010 to 2014. He had a couple more detailed discussions with her about some of the conversations he and Merritt recorded in 2014 before the videos were released.
He believed Deisher was provided with some videos through defense counsel for her role as an expert witness in the case, Daleiden told the court.
Jauron asked Daleiden if he paid Deisher, and he said no.
Deisher is expected to testify Wednesday morning.
- The Architecture of the Human Fovea Webvision - November 8th, 2021
- The Role of Reproductive Hormones in Postpartum Depression - November 8th, 2021
- 'Limb vs. Tail' lecture articulates variations of axolotl regeneration during research development The Maine Campus - The Maine Campus - November 8th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics to Present at the 63rd American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and Host Virtual Research & Development Update -... - November 8th, 2021
- Clade Therapeutics Raises $87 Million Series A Financing to - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent ... - The Bakersfield Californian - November 8th, 2021
- NextCure Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Yahoo Finance - November 8th, 2021
- Bristol Myers Squibb to Highlight More than 80 Abstracts at ASH 2021 Demonstrating Strength of Innovative Therapeutic Platforms Improving Outcomes for... - November 8th, 2021
- Atara Biotherapeutics to Present Eight Abstracts at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting, Including First Presentation of... - November 8th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 8th, 2021
- MAGENTA THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 8th, 2021
- Ronawk using stem cell tech developed at Olathe lab to advance liver cancer research in Turkey - Startland News - October 5th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WSAW - October 5th, 2021
- Researching the Safety and Effectiveness of Stem Cells to Treat 'Long Covid' - Entrepreneur - October 5th, 2021
- Global Hemoglobinopathies Markets, 2021-2028 - High Unmet Needs / Increasing R&D Investment / Initiatives to Improve Disease Awareness -... - October 5th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 5th, 2021
- Stanford neuroscientist's 'assembloids' pave the way for innovative brain research - Scope - October 5th, 2021
- Exosome therapeutic Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2028 | Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research EcoChunk -... - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WWNY - October 5th, 2021
- Cell Based Assay & High Content Screening Market Report 2021: The Workhorse of the Pharmaceutical Industry is Becoming a Central Player in... - October 5th, 2021
- Advancing the Development of Innovative Veterinary Products - FDA.gov - October 5th, 2021
- Pharmaxis Cleared To Progress To Phase 2 Bone Marrow Cancer Trial - WBKO - October 5th, 2021
- $500K Grant Supports Research on Muscle Growth in Pigs, With Broader Health Implications - Maryland Today - July 22nd, 2021
- EU approves bluebird bio's CALD gene therapy Skysona - PMLiVE - July 22nd, 2021
- Secrets and pies: the battle to get lab-grown meat on the menu - The Guardian - July 22nd, 2021
- Biomedical Warming and Thawing Devices Market Revenue to Cross USD 308 Mn by 2027: Global Market Insights Inc. - Markets Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- A Recovery for All Of Us: New York City Invests $1 Billion in Life Sciences - Brooklyn Daily Eagle - July 22nd, 2021
- The growing global "infodemic" around stem cell therapies - Axios - June 25th, 2021
- NanoString Launches nCounter Stem Cell Characterization Panel to Advance the Development of Stem Cell Therapy - Yahoo Finance - June 25th, 2021
- Catalent to Acquire RheinCell Therapeutics, Strengthening a Path Towards Industrialization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-based Therapies - Yahoo... - June 25th, 2021
- Immusoft Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - June 25th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics and Aruvant Announce Research Collaboration to Study JSP191, an Antibody-Based Conditioning Agent, with ARU-1801, a Novel Gene... - June 25th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Announces Publication in Blood, the Journal of the American Society of Hematology, of the First Pivotal Trial to Evaluate a Cell Therapy... - June 25th, 2021
- More than 800 medicines are in development for diseases that disproportionately affect racial and ethnic communities - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- Andrs Garca Receives Distinguished Professor Award | Research - Research Horizons - June 25th, 2021
- Local foundation awards $1.25 million to MIND Institute to study rare genetic condition - UC Davis Health - June 25th, 2021
- MeCP2 is a microsatellite binding protein that protects CA repeats from nucleosome invasion - Science Magazine - June 25th, 2021
- The Stem Cell Manufacturing market is projected to reach USD 18.0 billion by 2026 from USD - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces New Clinical Trial with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to Evaluate JSP191 in Chronic... - May 28th, 2021
- Global Flow Cytometry Market (2020 to 2026) - by Technology, Product and Service, Application, End-user and Geography - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 28th, 2021
- Meso-Brain project explores 3D printed stem cells to treat neurological conditions - 3D Printing Industry - May 28th, 2021
- Moderna Highlights Advances in Platform Science and Innovative Vaccine Research at Fourth Annual Science Day - Business Wire - May 28th, 2021
- GPB Scientific Announces Additional Growth Financing to Support Commercialization of Curate Cell Processing System for Next-Generation Cell & Gene... - May 28th, 2021
- TScan Therapeutics Adds to Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors - BioSpace - May 28th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides First Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Merakris Therapeutics, Inc. Announces FDA Clearance for - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021