CHICAGO Although 40 years have passed since her abortion, the woman at the cemetery described a sense of loss and regret that transcends time.
Someone will always be missing, is how Jennifer Shea explained the pain following her decision to terminate an unplanned pregnancy when she was 19 in 1979.
Yet the Chicago-area woman finds some comfort in praying at the site of a simple gray tombstone, which bears the epitaph HOLY INNOCENTS PREBORN CHILDREN OF GOD, at St. Mary Catholic Cemetery in southwest suburban Evergreen Park. It marks a grave where hundreds of human fetal remains were buried in 1987, salvaged by anti-abortion activists from a dumpster behind a now-defunct abortion clinic on Michigan Avenue.
Its the least I can do to honor my own lost child, to honor each of those here and to honor God for the mercy and forgiveness he has shown me, Shea told a crowd of roughly 80 gathered at the gravesite Sept. 14 for an annual event called the National Day of Remembrance for Aborted Children.
The prayer vigil was one of about 200 memorials held across the country, many at other burial sites of fetal remains. Locally, similar commemorations were held at the gravesites of aborted fetuses in west suburban Hillside and southwest suburban Romeoville.
These fetal tissues are often considered medical waste, typically disposed of in the same manner as the byproduct of other surgeries or health procedures.
Yet those against abortion have long held that fetal remains deserve a dignified burial akin to any human death. Now court rulings and federal policies are increasingly shifting in their favor, igniting emotional debate over what the remains of a fetus signify and how they should be handled in their final disposition.
The U.S. Supreme Court in May upheld an Indiana provision requiring burial or cremation following an abortion or miscarriage at a medical facility, legislation signed by the states former governor, Vice President Mike Pence. The law went into effect earlier this month.
The state of Indiana feels that fetal remains should be treated with the same dignity and respect that is usually given to deceased humans, said a spokeswoman for Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill.
Planned Parenthood officials said in a statement that the restriction has nothing to do with medical care and was instead designed to shame and stigmatize women and families.
Texas earlier this month attempted to revive its burial of fetal remains law, which was blocked by a federal judge last year.
At best, enshrining the States view of pregnancy increases the grief, stigma, shame, and distress of women experiencing an abortion, whether induced or spontaneous, the Texas U.S. District judge found in 2018.
The matter is pending before a federal appeals court.
The Trump administration in June announced that it would be halting use of human fetal tissue in medical research by government scientists a priority of the presidents anti-abortion supporters but largely denounced by the scientific community.
This research is critical for the development of new treatments for a wide range of serious diseases, states a letter to the U.S. secretary of Health and Human Services that was signed by dozens of science and medical organizations, including the AIDS Foundation of Chicago and the Skokie-based International Society for Stem Cell Research.
At the memorial in Evergreen Park, participants lined up to approach the gravesite individually, each leaving a pink or blue carnation at the headstone.
Several priests spoke, and one lamented the news that more than 2,200 medically preserved fetal remains were discovered this month at the Will County home of a dead doctor who had performed abortions in Indiana. Authorities are still investigating that case.
this gruesome discovery exposes the reality of the abortion industry, which destroys innocent babies for profit on a similar scale every day, dismantling the lie that abortion is health care, said a statement released Monday by Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, a national organization that supports political candidates who oppose abortion.
The group of a half-dozen anti-abortion activists would head out after dark, making multiple trips over a two-month period in 1987 to retrieve boxes of hundreds of fetal remains discovered in the garbage behind a Chicago abortion clinic.
Monica Migliorino Miller, co-director of the National Day of Remembrance and a native of south suburban Chicago Heights, recounted these nights in her book Abandoned: The Untold Story of the Abortion Wars.
I was living an unusual life, digging through trash dumpsters on a Chicago loading dock and picking the bodies of human beings out of the trash, said Miller, who now lives in Michigan. I kept boxes of aborted children, draped with a rosary, in my closet. My mind became forever etched with the memory of hundreds of dismembered, broken bodies their blood, intestines and torn skin.
Before the burial, she and her colleagues displayed some of the fetuses outside the abortion clinic in May 1987, according to a Chicago Tribune story.
The demonstration was designed to highlight the abortion holocaust that is going on all over America today, Joseph Scheidler, then the executive director of the Chicago-based Pro-Life Action League, told the Tribune at the time.
A funeral service was held in 2001 at Resurrection Cemetery in Romeoville for aborted fetuses retrieved from a laboratory at a Wisconsin hospital.
Cardinal Joseph Bernardin in 1988 led a burial service for some 2,000 aborted fetuses laid to rest in two caskets at Queen of Heaven Catholic Cemetery in Hillside; the anti-abortion activists had taken those remains from the loading dock of a north suburban laboratory, according to a National Day of Remembrance website.
The cardinal in his homily spoke of how every life, at every stage of development from conception to natural death and in all its circumstances, is sacred and beloved by God, the Tribune reported.
Reproductive rights advocates were outraged.
Colleen K. Connell, now the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, had called the burial a shameless publicity stunt.
Its one thing for the cardinal to say the Catholic Church is opposed to abortion, she told the Tribune at the time. But its quite another for him to participate in an action which demeans the personal privacy and integrity of women who may or may not be churchgoers.
She had questioned whether laws were violated in providing and transporting the fetuses as well as anyone who gave information on the location of the remains though she conceded there likely wouldnt be legal action without an individual to bring a complaint.
If these people respect human life, why cart this fetal tissue around the country and save it up for a media stunt? she had said.
To Miller, these burials were critical to illustrate that the unborn are human beings they are not trash, they are people, she said in a telephone interview.
Abortion opposition has been her lifes work, many times running afoul of the law: Miller estimated that shes been arrested more than 50 times at abortion protests across the country from 1978 to 2017, often for trespassing or disorderly conduct; she served seven months in jail after a demonstration in Wisconsin in 1989 and 32 more days in jail following a Michigan protest in 2017.
Social justice is not accomplished without radical acts of love, taking risks and making sacrifices on behalf of those who are oppressed, Miller said, adding that her acts were always nonviolent.
The National Abortion Federation in May released statistics citing a rise in incidents of trespassing, obstruction and vandalism directed at abortion providers last year. The organization attributed the increase to the growing anti-abortion rhetoric of politicians.
In 2018 the number of individuals attempting to intimidate patients and disrupt patient services continued to increase at an alarming rate, the report stated. We know those who oppose abortion feel emboldened to demonize abortion providers when they see elected officials spreading misleading propaganda and that was true in 2018.
(EDITORS: STORY CAN END HERE)
(EDITORS: BEGIN OPTIONAL TRIM)
Various tussles over the disposition of human fetal remains have played out in courtrooms and public demonstrations across the country.
A Catholic church in Boulder, Colo., in 2005 buried the ashes of hundreds of fetuses obtained from a mortuary contracted to cremate the remains by a local abortion clinic, which didnt know the ashes were being given to the church.
Police in 1992 arrested a clergyman in Buffalo, N.Y., for pushing a formaldehyde-soaked human fetus in the faces of abortion rights activists.
In 1985, the remains of more than 16,000 fetuses were buried in California and eulogized by President Ronald Reagan after a three-year battle over their disposition. Singer Pat Boone recorded a song called Sixteen Thousand Faces to honor the remains and protest abortion, according to the Los Angeles Times.
(END OPTIONAL TRIM)
At the local memorial service in Evergreen Park Sept. 14, participants recited a special prayer to end abortion.
I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement, they vowed in unison, and never to stop defending life until all my brothers and sisters are protected.
Shea left a flower at the headstone along with the rest of the crowd. She serves as a Chicago-area regional coordinator for the national Silent No More Awareness Campaign, which speaks out to help others heal after abortions.
While the cemetery doesnt hold the remains of her terminated pregnancy, which occurred years before the burial, Shea said its important for her to pay her respects at the grave.
Because of the humanity of those lost lives, she said.
2019 Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at http://www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
PHOTOS (for help with images, contact 312-222-4194): ABORTION-MEMORIALS
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2021 | Research With Size, Growth, Manufacturers, Key Segment, Analysis, Development Status, Segments and 2027... - February 19th, 2021
- Tissue regeneration: Reserve or reverse? - Science Magazine - February 19th, 2021
- Global Scaffold Technology Market Is Expected to Reach USD 2.16 billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Recombinant Growth Factors to Account for Over 45% of Overall Demand through 2031: Persistence Market Research - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- The Untapped Potential of Cell and Gene Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - February 19th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Significantly Expands Capabilities with New Operational, Laboratory and Manufacturing Facilities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey -... - February 19th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Processing Market To Grow Value $12062 Million By 2026 | Latest Research Report - PharmiWeb.com - February 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Humanized Mouse and Rat Model Market: Increased development of monoclonal antibodies and improved healthcare to drive the market - BioSpace - February 19th, 2021
- Iterion Therapeutics Secures $17 Million to Advance Development of Tegavivint in Multiple Tumor Settings - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Estimated To Expand At A Robust CAGR By 2027||Promega, Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG,... - February 19th, 2021
- Tibidabo Scientific Industries Strengthens its Core Executive Team with the Appointment of Industry Veteran, John LaViola as Chief Technology Officer... - February 19th, 2021
- Global Cell Expansion Market Value Projected to Expand by 2021-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., GE Healthcare, Lonza Group Ltd., Becton,... - February 19th, 2021
- How Irish medtech came to thrive - Med-Tech Innovation - February 19th, 2021
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market: Immunotherapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Ensoma Launches to Pioneer Next-Generation In Vivo Approach to Deliver First Off-the-shelf Genomic Medicines - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Notch Therapeutics Closes $85 Million Series A Financing to Develop Pipeline of Renewable Stem Cell-Derived Cancer Immunotherapies - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Global Biopreservation Market Is Expected to Reach USD 7.67 Billion by 2028 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Apollomics, Inc. and Iterion Therapeutics Announce Exclusive Collaboration and License Agreement to Develop and Commercialize Tegavivint in Greater... - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 11th, 2021
- 2020 Outlook on the Global Singlecell Technology Industry - Market Size was Over $800 Million in 2019 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Size Report: Strategies of Key Manufacturers, Project Investment of New Industries: Chart, Worthington... - February 11th, 2021
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Celebrates 20 Years of Innovation in Cancer Treatment and Care - Business Wire - February 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the CRISPR Gene Editing Global Market to 2030 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- Biobanking Market Report Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 7th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market By Product Type (Dogs, Horses) And By End-Users/Application (Veterinary Hospitals, Research Organizations) Market... - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Share, Demand, Manufacturers and Forecast till 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent... - February 6th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Of 11.10% By 2027||Abcam plc, Research And Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Sartorius AG, Biotium,... - February 6th, 2021
- Jill Biden signals White House resolve on cancer research: This is the fight of our lives - The Cancer Letter - February 6th, 2021
- Tiny sensor technique reveals cellular forces involved in tissue generation - Brown University - February 6th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 6th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 6th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market to be Valued at USD 6.49 Billion by 2027 | The Escalating Burden of Chronic Diseases and Genetic Aberrations will be the... - February 4th, 2021
- Turn Biotechnologies Expands the Potential of its mRNA Platform by Licensing Unique Artificial Niche Technology - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Evotec and Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf Enter Partnership to Develop iPSC-Based Tissue Therapy for Heart Failure - Yahoo Finance UK - February 4th, 2021
- Biobanks Market | Prominent Factors Analysis that will Help in Reshaping the Market Growth - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Alexion Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Size, Share, Analysis, Growth Driver and Industry Segments by 2027 KSU | The... - February 4th, 2021
- Transfection Technologies Market Size 2020 | Global Business Strategies, Growing CAGR of 20.0%, Industry Revenue, Opportunities-Aldrich Co Thermo... - February 4th, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 4th, 2021
- Mustang Bio Provides Updates on its Lentiviral Gene Therapies for the Treatment of X-linked Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (XSCID) - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Medexus Pharmaceuticals and medac GmbH enter into a License Agreement for First-in-Class Conditioning Agent for Hematopoietic Stem Cell... - February 4th, 2021
- People With Cancer Should Receive COVID-19 Vaccine, Experts Say - Cancer Health Treatment News - February 4th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future The Courier - The Courier - February 4th, 2021
- Healthcare Inventory Management Market: Rising Research and Development is Anticipated to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - January 30th, 2021
- Latest Research and Industry Trends of Cell and Tissue Culture Supplies Market Forecast 2027 Stemcell Technologies, Wheaton Industries, GE Healthcare ... - January 30th, 2021
- 5 People in the BioHealth Capital Region You Should Know In 2021 - BioBuzz - January 30th, 2021
- Global CAR-T Therapy Market Opportunities and Strategies Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Their Goal: Meat That's Better Than Meat | Tufts Now - Tufts Now - January 30th, 2021
- Humanigen and Emergent BioSolutions Announce Contract Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Phase 3 COVID-19 Therapeutic Candidate Lenzilumab -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 7,250.0 Million by 2028 | Increasing Investments in Production Capacity Expansion for Cell and Gene... - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Human physiomimetic model integrating microphysiological systems of the gut, liver, and brain for studies of neurodegenerative diseases - Science... - January 30th, 2021
- Elevian Targets Aging to Solve Humanity's Toughest Diseases - BioSpace - January 30th, 2021
- Propanc Biopharma Appoints Belen Toledo to Evaluate Impact of Proenzyme Therapy on Tumor Microenvironment - Business Wire - January 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Osiris... - January 25th, 2021
- Cell Separation Technologies Market to Reach $28.76 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 15.4% CAGR, Says Allied Market Research - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2025 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 25th, 2021
- Hemostemix Announces the Bread Contract with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada - BioSpace - January 23rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Cordlife, Cryo-Cell... - January 23rd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $23.57 Bn By 2027; High demand for 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs to better understand their mechanism... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative medicine is advancing health care in diverse ways - Hometown Focus - January 22nd, 2021
- Gene Pathway Linked to Development of Schizophrenia - Psychiatric Times - January 22nd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces the Addition of BARDA and Expansion of CRADA with the US Government to Develop Lenzilumab for COVID-19 - BioSpace - January 22nd, 2021
- Cell Sorting Market Size to Reach USD 805.1 Million By 2027 | Expanding Biotechnology And Pharmaceutical Industries will be the Major Factor Driving... - January 22nd, 2021
- BrainStorm's Covid-19 ARDS treatment improves lung function in study - Clinical Trials Arena - January 22nd, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on Automated Cell Culture Market Influencing the Industry Development and Forecast | BD, Tecan Trading, Sartorius, TAP Biosystems,... - January 22nd, 2021
- Global Live Cell Imaging Market Size is Expected to reach USD 3529.26 Million by 2025 and Registeri - PharmiWeb.com - January 22nd, 2021
- [Full text] Identification and Targeting of ThomsenFriedenreich and IL1RAP | OTT - Dove Medical Press - January 22nd, 2021
- New Genetic Disorder Discovered That Affects Brain and Craniofacial Skeleton - Technology Networks - January 22nd, 2021
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy Invests $1 Million in Satellos Bioscience to Support New Regenerative Medicine Technology - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2021
- Stem cells on the ballot - Science Magazine - January 14th, 2021
- 2021 Startups to Watch: Ronawk's T-Blocks stack the future of stem cell research in an Olathe lab - Startland News - January 14th, 2021
- Towards a Cure: Carleton Research Team Working on Stem Cell Therapy to Reverse Type 1 Diabetes - Carleton Newsroom - January 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market | Know the aspects that will serve as game-changers for the market - BioSpace - January 14th, 2021