The young Israeli patient I visited in the isolation room at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston in the late 1970s was very ill. Ravages of the disease and its harsh treatment were clearly evident.
Diagnosed with a uniformly terminal disease, he had traveled to this renowned center in the Longwood Medical Area to be treated with a newly developed regimen of aggressive therapy. This world-famous academic hub is the medical campus where Harvard Medical School and many of its affiliated hospitals are all located. Major breakthroughs in medicine were developed here, including the first curative treatment of leukemia, the first kidney transplant, the first use of an electrical current to restore heart rhythm. It was here that creative man leaped forward with innovative advances that saved lives.
At the time I was a post-doctoral research fellow at Harvard Medical School. Our family resided several houses from the Ravs daughters home where the Rav was living, and our Maimonides community was fortunate to be able to spend eight to ten hours with the Rav every weekend in prayer and in learning. The creative gesture so central to the Ravs philosophy of halakhic man is a prime characteristic of biomedical research, and my oscillation between the universe of cutting edge biomedical research and the world of Torah learning with the Rav, while worlds apart, was harmonious. With the Rav often expressing curiosity about aspects of my research, I began to intuit that the work might not be merely creative but in fact a religious gesture.
A central theme in the Ravs weltanschauung is his emphasis on halakhic mans creative gesture. Ish haHalakhahs mission and continuous challenge are to heal and repair a purposely flawed world, for in the creation process a modicum of chaos was formed prior to the worlds creation and deliberately injected into both organic and inorganic matter, including into man himself.
Man himself symbolizes, on the one hand, the most perfect and complete type of existence, the image of God, and, on the other hand, the most terrible chaos and void to reign over creation. In order to enable man to cope with his inexorable chaos and sin, the tool of repentance was also created prior to the worlds formation (Pesahim 54a).
In a reference to creative introspection in Eight Chapters, Maimonides states: The perfect man needs to inspect his moral habits, weigh his actions, and reflect upon the state of his soul every single day. Whenever he sees his soul inkling toward one of the extremes, he should rush to cure it and not let the evil state become established (chap. 4).
Max Scheler, an early proponent of positive creative repentance, points out that modern philosophy, on the other hand, sees in retrospection and repentance mostly a negative, superfluous, uneconomical act due to disharmony of the mind and ascribed to lack of thought, sickness or various illusions..
Emulating Maimonides, the Rav emphasizes an essential continuous remodeling, a re-creation of the sinners self as being a healthy, critically indispensable creative process. Halakhic man is engaged in self-creation, in creating a new I. He does not regret an irretrievably lost past but a past still in existence, one that stretches into and interpenetrates with the present and the future.
The Ravs perspective on repentance is related to Schelers definition of creative repentance and to Henri Bergsons distinction between subjective, qualitative time-perception versus chronos, quantitative objective time. Both Scheler and Bergson ascribe to the principle of memory and experiential plasticity. The concept of plasticity, the property of being easily molded and remolded, has received intense scientific attention in the last decade, especially as related to the field of memory and neuroscience.
The presumed inability of the brain to generate new cells or to establish new neural networks is currently vigorously challenged and has indeed been proven incorrect. The process by which man can modify imprinted memories to affect his present and future behavior pattern is currently under scientific investigation. Epigenetic biochemical modifications of DNA and changes in neural networks triggered by ongoing experiences have been documented to alter both content and intensity of memories. The association between past triggering stimuli and the resurfacing of memories and behavior patterns has been shown to be moldable utilizing imaging and histological techniques. Previous memories can be reinforced, intensified, modified, or completely erased.
We no longer look at our genetic makeup and the mature brain as a fixed template that predicts our phenotype, and no longer are our memories an unalterable code. Rather, increasingly, biochemical data support the idea that they are templates upon which environmental and emotional stimuli can impact. Biochemical changes in the brain triggered by environmental and behavioral patterns were identified in identical twins raised in different environments. Scientists have defined conditions in which terminally differentiated cells, such as mature skin cells, which we assumed could never return to their embryonic pluripotent stem-cell status, have in fact definitively reverted and reprogrammed to evolve into new cell types. Recent reports have described the astonishing generation of live mice from skin cells reengineered to be ova.
If cells can revert to their embryonic state, if gene expression can be reprogrammed, if the brain can generate new nerve cells and establish new neural networks, the view of repentant man as a biologically defined new self is viable.
David Anderson from the California Institute of Technology describes a fascinating neuro-anatomical observation. The center in the brain that orchestrates emotion is the amygdala. It communicates with the hypothalamus, which houses the cells that control instinctive behavior like parenting, feeding, mating, fear, and fighting. Anderson found that a nucleus of cells within the hypothalamus contain two distinct populations of neurons: one that regulates aggression and one that regulates mating. About 20 percent of the cells in this nucleus are active both during mating activity and during aggressive behavior, which suggests that these two circuits are linked. How does the brain regulate these mutually exclusive behavior patterns? Anderson found that depending on the specific stimuli applied to this area it can trigger either mating activity or aggression.
Perhaps creating a new self through repentance from love (On Repentance, pp. 163) is associated with using mechanisms previously utilized for aggression and fear for productive activity such as love and fertility. A similar idea is found in the Babylonian Talmud (Shabbat 156a): He who is born under Mars will be a shedder of blood. Rabbi Ashi said: Either a surgeon, a thief, a slaughterer, or a circumciser. Through biochemical processes induced by the intense experiences of the teshuvah process confession, sacrifice, remorse, shame and a commitment to a new I a new self can emerge.
* * *
A decade after I visited the seriously ill young man at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, the facility where chaos reigns and where creative man is faced with overwhelming challenges, I attended a scientific conference in Tiberias, burial place of Maimonides. I learned that a daily minyan was available at a nearby archeological site of an ancient synagogue on the shores of the magnificent Sea of Galilee. I was welcomed by a group of yeshiva students from Bnei Brak who had been coming weekly to maintain a minyan at this historical site.
Following services I was approached by a bearded man, who inquired:Are you Dr. Goldberg?
Since I had never practiced medicine in Israel I was surprised to be addressed as a physician.
Do you remember me? he asked. I am that patient you visited at the Dana Farber so many years ago. I am healthy, married and have several children.
The Prophets and the Torah as well recognized a strong connection between sin and illness on the one hand and between repentance and healing on the other (On Repentance, p. 80).
Through the creative gesture both the body and the spirit can be remodeled and healed.
1. See Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik, Halakhic Man (Philadelphia, 1983), p. 102.
2. Halakhic Man, p. 109.
3. Max Scheler, On the Eternal in Man (New Brunswick, NJ, 2010), p. 36.
4. Halakhic Man, p. 113.
Read more from the original source:
On creativity, plasticity and repentance - Arutz Sheva
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 9th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 Manufacturer Analysis, Emerging Trends, Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 7th, 2020
- Voters asked to approve $5.5 billion for stem cell research - Lebanon Express - November 7th, 2020
- Transcriptional priming as a conserved mechanism of lineage diversification in the developing mouse and human neocortex - Science Advances - November 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - PRnews Leader - November 7th, 2020
- U.S. elections bring wins and losses for research community - Science Magazine - November 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Key Development Trends, and Growth Projection to 2027 - Stock Market Vista - November 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Growth, Comprehensive Insights and Forecast 2025 - PRnews Leader - November 5th, 2020
- Panelists debate the implications and ethics of stem cell research - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - October 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - re:Jerusalem - October 30th, 2020
- Study Identifies Pitfall for Correcting Mutations in Human Embryos with CRISPR - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - October 30th, 2020
- Yale New Haven Health Docs: Interpreting the Uptick in Covid-19 Cases - Greenwich Free Press - October 30th, 2020
- Is the Pro-Life Movement on a Collision Course with the Coronavirus? - The Dispatch - October 29th, 2020
- Outlook for stem cell therapy - its role in tendon regeneration - different treatments for horse tendon injuries - Trainer Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- Yale Health advises against large Thanksgiving gatherings; eastern Connecticut now considered a 'hot spot' - The Westerly Sun - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Share, Analysis and In-depth Research on Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecasts... - October 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Competitive Landscape of Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Global Industry Size, Volume, Trends and Revenue Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top most... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Manufacturing Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Product, Application, End-Users and Region - Stock Market Vista - October 20th, 2020
- The Infodemic: Was Regeneron COVID-19 Treatment Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissue? - Voice of America - October 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Overview, Demand and Insights Analysis Report by 2026 ESI BIO, Thermo... - October 15th, 2020
- Yes on 14 | Mailbox | independentnews.com - Livermore Independent - October 15th, 2020
- I've Spent Decades Studying How People Build Their Families. Here's What I've Learned Matters Most - TIME - October 15th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Size, Regional Insights and Industry Dynamics By 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors Thermo Fisher, Esi Bio,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Forecast 2027| Merck Group,... - September 23rd, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Study Focuses On New Discovery In Regenerative Medicine | newkerala.com Health News - New Kerala - September 18th, 2020
- Transcriptional Regulation in Embryonic Stem Cells ... - September 8th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size,Scope and Current Trends -... - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 6th, 2020
- Market Growth of Global Stem Cells to Remain Sluggish through 2020 2030 - The News Brok - September 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 6th, 2020
- Gaining clarity on the ethical issues of a possible COVID-19 vaccine - Pursuit - September 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - Scientect - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists discover protein linked to depression and brain disorders - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Market Report Promising Growth of CAGR of 17.91% , Analysis of Top companies and their Share, Size and Scope - Scientect - August 18th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - Canada.com - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - The Province - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 13th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 13th, 2020
- Scientists distinguish new method that causes leukemia - Laboratory Equipment Magazine,Microbiology and Healthcare News,Scientific Equipment News -... - August 13th, 2020
- EED-mediated histone methylation is critical for CNS myelination and remyelination by inhibiting WNT, BMP, and senescence pathways - Science Advances - August 13th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research by 2020-2024 - eRealty Express - August 9th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Here is why AgeX Therapeutics Inc. (AGE) stock volatility recorded over the last month was 14.15% - The InvestChronicle - August 5th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Without Limits | National Review - August 5th, 2020
- Newly discovered epigenetic tag offers insight into ... - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR - Strand - August 4th, 2020
- Bunk: Company Sells Personalized Embryonic Stem Cells ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Analysis and Forecast by Rapid Growth Rate 2020 Value Share Analysis by Regions, Industry Size, Key Insights till 2024 - Bulletin... - August 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2025 Top companies | Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, JCR Pharmaceutical, Pharmicell,... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026), By-Product, Cell Type, Cell Source, Technique, Application,... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth Drive by the Rising Diversity of Applications - BioSpace - July 28th, 2020
- 'Self-eating' stem cell process may be the key to new regenerative therapies - Penn Today - July 27th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 27th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 27th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 26th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife - Owned - July 26th, 2020
- Germ cell - Wikipedia - July 25th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Owned - July 24th, 2020
- Embryonic Stem-Cell Research: The Promise and the Reality ... - July 24th, 2020
- Chaperone-mediated autophagy regulates the pluripotency of ... - July 24th, 2020
- Genetic puzzle: How mice can be modified to help in the race to develop coronavirus therapies - Genetic Literacy Project - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 23rd, 2020
- RACK7 recognizes H3.3G34R mutation to suppress expression of MHC class II complex components and their delivery pathway in pediatric glioblastoma -... - July 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Monisizering Growth Opportunities COVID-19 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020