When the brain is injured or diseased astrocytes are the first to respond. They become reactive and play roles that can be both beneficial and deleterious, but little is known about how these diverse responses to injury are regulated.
In his lab at Baylor College of Medicine, Dr. Benjamin Deneen, professor of neurosurgery and theCenter for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, has long been studying astrocytes, the most abundant cells in the brain. In this publication, he and his colleagues reported surprising discoveries regarding both the generation and activity of the first responders to brain injury.
Reactive astrocytes are associated with most forms of neurological disorders, from acute injury to degeneration, but their contributions to disease are only now coming to light, Deneen said.
In the current study, Deneen and his colleagues focused on identifying a regulator of reactive astrocytes. They looked into nuclear factor I-A (NFIA), a known regulator of astrocyte development, and investigated whether it also was involved in the generation and regulation of reactive astrocytes.
First, they determined that NFIA is abundant in human pediatric and adult reactive astrocytes found in a host of neurological injuries. Then, to explore the role NFIA plays in the response of reactive astrocytes to injury, the researchers turned to mouse models. They generated mice in which NFIA was specifically eliminated in astrocytes, and compared the reactive astrocyte response of these NFIA-deficient mice to that of mice with NFIA, after different types of neurological injury.
The results were surprising, said Deneen, who holds the Dr. Russell J. and Marian K. Blattner Chair and is a member of the Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center at Baylor. Until now, it was thought that, regardless of the type of injury or where it occurred in the central nervous system, reactive astrocytes would respond in the same way. Knocking out NFIA allowed us to uncover a previously unknown layer of functional diversity in reactive astrocytes.
When white matter injuries occurred in the spinal cord of NFIA-deficient mice, reactive astrocytes were generated and migrated toward the injury, but were not able to remodel the injured blood brain barrier as well as the reactive astrocytes of normal mice did. Consequently, the white matter was not repaired.
But when the researchers tested the response to a different form of injury in another region of the central nervous system a stroke in the cerebral cortex they observed something different. While normal mice (with NFIA) responded to stroke by producing reactive astrocytes that migrated toward the injury to repair the bleeding, NFIA-deficient mice did not generate reactive astrocytes and the injury was not healed. In both cases, in the spinal cord and in the cerebral cortex, the injury was not properly repaired, but the underlying reasons were different in each case.
These findings suggest that NFIAs function in reactive astrocytes is dependent upon the type of injury and brain region in which the injury occurs. In the cerebral cortex, NFIA is crucial for making reactive astrocytes, while in the spinal cord NFIA is important for sealing off leaking blood vessels. These results hint at an extensive reservoir of reactive astrocyte responses that vary according to form and location of injury, Deneen said.
In addition, the researchers began to define the molecular mechanisms underpinning the generation of reactive astrocytes. They found that NFIA directly regulates the production of thrombospondin 4, an essential regulator of the generation of reactive astrocytes that had been previously identified in the lab of co-author Dr. Chay T. Kuo, associate professor of cell biology and neurobiology at Duke University.
Although our study was conducted in mice and more research is needed, we think our findings may reflect what occurs in people, as NFIA also is abundantly present in reactive astrocytes in both pediatric and adult neurological injuries, Deneen said.
We also are interested in investigating the role NFIA plays in reactive astrocytes involved in neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons disease. Its possible it has a completely different set of functions in these conditions, Deneen said.
The study appears in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.
Other contributors of this work include Dylan Laug, Teng-Wei Huang, Navish A. Bosquez Huerta, Yu-Szu Huang, Debosmita Sardar, Joshua Ortiz, Jeffrey C. Carlson, Benjamin R. Arenkiel, Carrie A. Mohila, Stacey M. Glasgow and Hyun Kyoung Lee. The authors are affiliated with one or more of the following institutions: Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Childrens Hospital, Duke University and the University of California San Diego.
This work was supported by grants from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (RG-1501-02756 and FG-1607-25417), the National Institutes of Health (NIH) (NS096096 and S071153), the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), NIH (T32-HL902332) and the David & Eula Winterman Foundation MS Research Endowment.
By Ana Mara Rodrguez, Ph.D.
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Functionally distinct resident macrophage subsets differentially shape responses to infection in the bladder - Science Advances - November 25th, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization Other OTC:BRTX - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Jakafi and Dacogen May Improve Overall Survival in Patients with MPN - Curetoday.com - November 20th, 2020
- BRTX-100; the Story of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTX) - MicroCap Daily - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 16th, 2020
- Organoids mimic the early development of the heart in mouse embryos - BioNews - November 16th, 2020
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells do not express ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and are not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Cynata Therapeutics (ASX:CYP) begins phase three osteoarthritis trial - The Market Herald - November 16th, 2020
- $ 30.1 billion Worth Cell Expansion Market, Led by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT and Others. re:Jerusalem -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Advanced Wound Care Management Market : Implications on Business Strategies, Countermeasures, Economic Impact - The Think... - November 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Growing with Highest Size, Share of Top Key Players in the Industry and Forecast Survey Till 2024 - Zenit News - October 30th, 2020
- Somatic Mutations in UBA1 and Severe Adult-Onset Autoinflammatory Disease - DocWire News - October 30th, 2020
- JadiCell Stem Cells Licensed by Therapeutic Solutions International for Brain Injury Significantly Increased Survival of COVID-19 Patients in Double... - October 29th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Adult Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- APstem Therapeutics Announces Successful FDA INTERACT Meeting Regarding AP-Skin-01, an Off-the-Shelf Allogeneic Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of... - October 29th, 2020
- Why Small Businesses Matter in Wilton (Reimagined): Interventional Orthopedics Connecticut - HamletHub - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Future Development, Manufacturers, Trends, Share, Size And Forecast to 2027 |... - October 29th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market a comprehensive study by key players- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT, Merck KGaA and... - October 24th, 2020
- Genmab Announces IFM, HOVON and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results in Second Part of Phase 3 CASSIOPEIA Study of Daratumumab in Multiple Myeloma... - October 24th, 2020
- What Is the Role of Allogeneic-SCT in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in the Era of Targeted Therapies? - Targeted Oncology - October 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid-19 updated report), Trends, Top Manufacturers, Exponential Growth and Forecast 2020 to 2027 By Reportspedia -... - October 17th, 2020
- Was Trump's Regeneron 'Cure' Developed Using Stem Cells and Fetal Tissues? - Snopes.com - October 13th, 2020
- The complicated story of Trump's COVID treatment, stem cells and abortion politics - Baptist News Global - October 13th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- Human heart organoids provide unmatched insight into cardiac disease and dysfunction - BioWorld Online - October 13th, 2020
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America and Aruvant Sciences Forge New Partnership to Educate Around Gene Therapy - Herald-Mail Media - October 13th, 2020
- Q Stock; The Rise of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - October 8th, 2020
- A Uniquely Patient-Focused Take on Treating AML in Older Adults - Medscape - October 8th, 2020
- Dust off the crystal ball: It's time for STAT's 2020 Nobel Prize predictions - STAT - October 3rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Third Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Upd - PharmiWeb.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018-2023 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Exponential Rise in Revenue Share During the Forecast Period - Lake Shore Gazette - September 7th, 2020
- Keeping kids and adults alike healthy with Colostrum - North Coast Courier - September 4th, 2020
- Newly discovered molecule could play key role in treating osteoarthritis - Irish Examiner - September 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid 19 Impact) Research Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2025 - TC BizNews - September 4th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 21st, 2020
- Steadman Philippon Research Institute (SPRI) Receives Multi-Million-Dollar Matching Grant from the National Institutes of Health - GlobeNewswire - August 21st, 2020
- Worldwide Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) Market Insights, Epidemiology and Forecast - 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 21st, 2020
- Genmab Announces Janssen Granted U.S. FDA Approval for DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Carfilzomib and Dexamethasone in Relapsed or... - August 21st, 2020
- Huntington's Disease Alters Human Development in the Fetal... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - August 21st, 2020
- Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 15th, 2020
- This revolutionary new coronavirus cure is already saving lives - BGR - August 14th, 2020
- Survivors of Pediatric Cancers May Experience Lasting Impact on Heart, Metabolic Health Following Radiation Therapy - Pharmacy Times - August 14th, 2020
- TG Therapeutics Umbralisib Development, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Industry Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 13th, 2020
- Radiation to treat pediatric cancers may have lasting impact on heart and metabolic health - Science Codex - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 11th, 2020
- Salles Speaks to the Potential Benefit of the Tafasitamab Combo in the R/R DLBCL Setting - Targeted Oncology - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market: Global Forecast over COVID-19 2024 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ALLO.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of XNCR.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Trends and Highlights - Bulletin Line - August 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: NuVasive, Cytori... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Insights and Business Outlook By Top Players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 29th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - July 29th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 Overall Analysis and Forecast up to the Year 2027 - Sanford Philosopher - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2020
- New Study Offers First Glimpse Into How Widespread COVID-19 Antibodies are in Canada's Adult Population - Canada NewsWire - July 24th, 2020
- US regulations for regenerative medicine advanced therapies - Regulatory Focus - July 24th, 2020
- Scientists discovered the real reason behind goosebumps - Tech Explorist - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- New study offers first glimpse into how widespread COVID-19 antibodies are in Canada's adult population - McGill Newsroom - July 23rd, 2020
- Data Shows Direct Link Between COVID-19 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) In Infected P - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The global cell expansion market size is estimated to be USD 14.9 billion in 2020 and projected to reach USD 30.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.1%... - July 22nd, 2020
- Charles Darwin Investigated Goosebumps Now Harvard Scientists Discover the Real Reason Behind Them - SciTechDaily - July 21st, 2020
- Higher Steaks Creates World's First Lab-Grown Bacon and Pork Belly - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 19th, 2020
- Local scientists create 'mini livers' to trial therapies for liver diseases - The Straits Times - July 17th, 2020
- Can banking your stem cells prevent aging? | Well+Good - July 16th, 2020
- Expected Growth In Stem Cells Market from 2020-2026 to Guide : Trends, Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- The Baxter Foundation supports USC research on epilepsy and lung injury - USC News - July 16th, 2020