Marianne Curley is a Maltese-Australian author best known for her Guardians of Time Trilogy and Old Magic books. She has had to overcome tremendous difficulties that are of inspiration to many.
My Dad was born in Gozo and moved to Australia when he was only 15. He eventually settled on the Hawkesbury River in New South Wales. He returned to Gozo when the war ended and met my mother. They married within three months and moved to Australia.
Mum became homesick and they moved back. But Dad was a farmer and longed for the open spaces and green fields of Australia. In August of 1957, as a family of five, they returned to the Hawkesbury River property. Two years later I was born.
My teen daughters asked me to write a book for their age. I had attempted to write commercial romance, with no success. I was about to start another romance when my thirteen-year-old daughter complained there were not enough books for her age to read. Her sister, older by one year, agreed and that is how I started writing books for young adults.
I found I loved writing for young adults. It was challenging and exciting with more complex plot lines and themes I could explore, and young adult readers appeared to enjoy my writing style.
I find inspiration almost anywhere if Im looking for it. I listen to music, look through photographs or glance at passing scenery in a car or train. Our world is full of ideas. They surround us wherever we go.
The plot for Old Magic, my first published novel, came to me while I was having lunch in a park with friends on Dorrigo Mountain. Our children were walking across a field together when a mist rolled in from behind them. I watched as the mist caught up and continued to roll past, making the children almost invisible. It struck me how magical the scene was.
My readers are my proudest achievements, through their emails and messages, that have given many reasons to be most proud of them. My readers have let me know how my books, the characters and stories within, have affected them, inspired them, assisted them in tough times, and changed their lives.
Surviving my type of cancer was a miracle that I thank God for every day. The odds were not in my favour, I had a 30-35 per cent chance of surviving, and without a successful transplant I would have died within two months of my diagnosis. I am thankful for my sister Therese for giving me her stem cells and for the prayers and support I received from my friends and relatives.
I could not write for years. Weeks after surviving my transplant, and on the way to recovering, I sustained a fall in my hospital room, that broke my back. My bones were week from the chemotherapy, my spine crumbled, and I lost several vertebrae. My spine wasnt strong enough for any supportive treatment. The pain when I moved was unimaginable. Because of this, I was unable to write again for a few years.
Only focus on today. Whatever you are facing, life can become complex and at times overwhelming. You think you cant cope. Dont think of all you have yet to do, just think about what you have to do today. Only today. Tomorrow will come, theres no doubt about that. Think of what you must do tomorrow, when it is tomorrow.
I dream of visiting Malta. I had planned to visit Malta as a reward after my cancer battle, but by then Id had the fall which made travelling difficult. So sadly, Ive never had the chance to visit Malta, which just makes me miss it more. My hope is that one day I can overcome my physical difficulties enough for a long visit.
Are you a Maltese person living abroad? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tiny organs grown from snake glands produce real venom - Science Magazine - January 23rd, 2020
- Asymmetrex Partners in Manufacturing USA Institute January 23, 2020The Advanced Regenerative Manufacturing Institute - PR Web - January 23rd, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for DARZALEX (Daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone in Frontli... - January 23rd, 2020
- Video: In 40 years, babies could be made in the lab from skin cells - Genetic Literacy Project - January 21st, 2020
- Here's What Meat-Eaters Really Think of Veganism, According to a New Study - ScienceAlert - January 21st, 2020
- What meat eaters really think about veganism new research - The Conversation UK - January 21st, 2020
- Mutations in Donor Stem Cells Could Harm the Health of Patients with Cancer, Study Finds - Curetoday.com - January 18th, 2020
- Role of wearable sensors in the early diagnosis of Graft Versus Host Disease - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical Device Network - January 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Dogs and Cats Is Innovative at Stafford Veterinary Hospital - By MARIA SCANDALE - The SandPaper - January 17th, 2020
- World-first Genomic Analysis of Puberty Provides Insights Into Cancer and Infertility - Technology Networks - January 13th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market is estimated to witness the highest growth during the forecast period 2017 2025 - Pro News Time - January 13th, 2020
- Bionic Vision Technologies Announces Interim Pilot Study Results of the BVT Bionic Eye System Designed to Help the Blind Achieve Greater Mobility and... - January 13th, 2020
- Unlocking The Secrets Of DNA Help Researchers Understand How to Slow Aging - YouAreUNLTD - January 12th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Biotech Showcase and 3rd Annual Neuroscience Innovation Forum at JPM Week - Yahoo Finance - January 11th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Perceive Substantial Growth During 2019 to 2027 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, Miltenyi Biotec, PromoCell GmbH,... - January 11th, 2020
- Understanding the developmental conditions of the human spine - Tech Explorist - January 11th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Biotech Showcase and 3rd Annual Neuroscience Innovation Forum at JPM Week - GlobeNewswire - January 8th, 2020
- A New "Census" of the Zebrafish Brain - Technology Networks - January 8th, 2020
- Cynata Therapeutics (ASX:CYP) receives R&D tax incentive refund of more than $1.8M - The Market Herald - January 8th, 2020
- Contemporary Bone Alleviates Mechanisms Have Prospective Therapeutic Applications - MENAFN.COM - January 8th, 2020
- New Treatment Approved in Canada for Most Common Type of Leukemia - Canada NewsWire - January 8th, 2020
- New protocol could signal shift in bone regenerative medicine - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2020
- Researchers at Baylor College of Medicine Discover How to Improve Bone Repair - Gilmore Health News - January 6th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market in The Region Is Anticipated To Expand At a CAGR of 13.8% During the Period from 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - January 3rd, 2020
- Deficiency of TRPM2 leads to embryonic neurogenesis defects in hyperthermia - Science Advances - January 3rd, 2020
- Rewriting Our Genes Is Easier Than Ever. That Doesn't Mean We Should Do It - WBUR - January 3rd, 2020
- Girl, 3, dies in her parents arms on New Years Day after leukaemia battle - The Sun - January 3rd, 2020
- Red Shamrock: Fight never over, even when kids beat cancer - Iowa City Press-Citizen - January 3rd, 2020
- International peace prize awarded to FNI executive director | Saginaw - Browncitybanner - January 3rd, 2020
- Scientists are Working on a Way to Regrow Teeth in 2 Months - Science Times - December 30th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2025 - Filmi Baba - December 30th, 2019
- The ethics of lab-grown "minibrains" - Quartz - December 30th, 2019
- What is HLH, and what role did it play in the death of a healthy 34-year-old ESPN reporter? - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 28th, 2019
- New technology being used to heal serious wounds - WWLTV.com - December 28th, 2019
- Five hot topics in autism research in 2019 - Spectrum - December 28th, 2019
- Humans may be Able to Regrow Teeth in the Future - NullTX - December 28th, 2019
- adult stem cells: the history of the research - December 22nd, 2019
- A New Gene Therapy Strategy, Courtesy of Mother Nature - Global Health News Wire - December 22nd, 2019
- GSK announces positive headline results in phase 3 study of Benlysta in patients with lupus nephritis | Antibodies | News Channels -... - December 21st, 2019
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Market to Achieve Massive Growth in the Near Future - Info Street Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Difference Between Adult and Embryonic Stem Cells | Compare ... - December 15th, 2019
- Science Fiction Becoming Reality - Reporter Magazine - December 15th, 2019
- Brenner and Rector's The Kidney, 2-Volume Set. Edition No. 11 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Associated Press - December 6th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to a Revenue Opportunity of US$270.5 bn During the Period from 2025 - News Description - December 6th, 2019
- Stem cell Therapy Market 2019-2027| Business Scope and Investment Analysis By MEDIPOST, PHARMICELL Co., Ltd, Holostem Terapie Avanzate Srl, Mesoblast... - December 6th, 2019
- Cutting Through the Headlines: Are Scientists Really Growing Sentient "Mini-brains"? - Technology Networks - December 6th, 2019
- Year in Review: Respiratory Infection - MedPage Today - December 6th, 2019
- Whats Happening: IDF Shabbat of Heroes, Sephardic Papers - Jewish Journal - December 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breaking News Updates - December 5th, 2019
- Marine Coatings Market is Anticipated to Register a Value of XX Million by the end of 2017 - 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market 2019 | What Will Be the Market Size and the Growth Rate Analysis by 2026? - Hitz Dairies - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Register a Healthy CAGR of 13.8% During the Period from 2017 to 2025 - Statsflash - December 3rd, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - BioSpace - November 28th, 2019
- Inside the Beltway: Abortion, immigration among forbidden topics at Thanksgiving table - Washington Times - November 28th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Value Projected to Expand by 2026 - The Hilltop Monitor - November 28th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Info - November 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Growth, Future Prospects, Competitive Analysis and Forecast To 2026 - Med News Ledger - November 28th, 2019
- Lulu and Nana are the result of a defiant experiment in human gene modification - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2019
- Types of Adult Stem Cells - Stem Cell Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Adult Leukemia: What You Need to Know - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - November 26th, 2019
- Hatching disease in a dish: The new frontier in drug testing - Maclean's - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with woman whose life he saved through stem cell donation - Bedford Today - November 26th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to make scientific presentations at the 30th International Symposium on ALS/MND - GlobeNewswire - November 26th, 2019
- Bedfordshire Police officer reunited with stem cell recipient - Cranfield and Marston Vale Chronicle - November 26th, 2019
- Keeping cells alive | Interviews - The Naked Scientists - November 26th, 2019
- Dana-Farber joins with leading Boston teaching hospitals and universities - Mirage News - November 26th, 2019
- Applying AI and CRISPR to stem cells to improve regenerative medicine - FierceBiotech - November 20th, 2019
- Decoding the building blocks of life: bit bio races toward a sustainable source of human cells - Proactive Investors UK - November 20th, 2019
- 1st SCD Trial Patient Shows CTX001 Gene Editing to be Safe, Effective - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 20th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - BioSpace - November 20th, 2019
- Novocure Announces 43 Presentations on Tumor Treating Fields at 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology - Arizona Daily Star - November 20th, 2019
- Early Results Are Positive for Experimental CRISPR Therapies - The Scientist - November 19th, 2019
- CHMP recommends EMA approval of polatuzumab vedotin for the treatment of adult patients with R/R DLBCL - Lymphoma Hub - November 19th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - PRNewswire - November 19th, 2019
- Redding woman donates bone marrow, saves life of a father - FOX61 Hartford - November 16th, 2019
- Maxim Group Maintains Their Buy Rating on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) - Smarter Analyst - November 16th, 2019
- How 3D Printing Is Turning Each And Every Industry On Its Head - SafeHaven.com - November 16th, 2019
- BIORESTORATIVE THERAPIES, INC. (OTCMKTS:BRTX) Files An 8-K Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders - Market Exclusive - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cell Expansion Market 2019 is predicted to reach an excellent valuation of by 2024 - Galus Australis - November 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market is Growing Massively in Upcoming Year with Top Key Players like GE Healthcare, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 15th, 2019