Adult stem cell therapy is enjoying widespread success around the world, but if the FDA gets its way, it may soon be banned here in the U.S....
There have been nearly 12,000 adult stem cell therapies performed in the United States with an over 90 percent success healing rate for mostly joint and spinal conditions. It involves using the patients own stem cells, so no patent-able drugs are involved.
They are targeting the most influential stem cell scientist in the U.S., Dr. Kristin Comella in Florida.
Differentiating the Types of Stem Cell Therapy
They could be considered seeds for growing body tissues. They are mostly able to function for cellular repair and growth no matter what organ is in need of repair or healing from chronic inflammation.
There is a considerable controversy surrounding stem cell therapy research, a branch of regenerative medicine. Much of the controversy has to do with not differentiating between adult stem cell therapy and embryonic stem cell therapy.
Read: Scientists Discover That Fasting Triggers Stem Cell Regeneration & Fights Cancer
Embryonic stem cell therapy is the controversial one. It cultures or creates stem cells from terminated or aborted fetuses.
Currently, the FDA is harassing stem cell clinics that do not derive their stem cell solutions from aborted fetus tissue. They extract the stem cells from the patients own adipose tissue and inject them into areas where that same patient needs repair. Its an autologous process called adult stem cell therapy.
U.S. Stem Cell based out of South Florida is one of the clinics being targeted by the FDA, and the clinics Chief Scientist is Dr. Kristin Comella, PhD.
Many other nations have been using adult stem cell therapy successfully over the past 15 years, leaving the USA dead last in this field. The FDA is trying to make sure it stays that way and allows costly pharmaceutical versions to prevail.
Dr. Kristin Comella and her clinic have been under attack from the FDA.
This short 3-minute video was produced interviewing Dr. Comella and some of her patients.
Examining and Comparing the Different Types of Stem Cell Therapy
Human embryonic stem cell (hESC) therapy has received most of the medias attention and government support. But it is the most controversial because it involves extracting tissues from terminated human embryos, aka aborted fetuses.
In addition to moral and ethical issues, human embryonic stem cell (hESC) solutions create cells so rapidly where theyre injected they lead to cancerous tumors. To avoid that, researchers have to use immuno-suppressant drugs to curb the embryonic stem cells tendency toward cancer.
Using pharmaceutical drugs to curb hESC cancer side effect issues leads to other unexplored and unexpected side effects from those patented stem cell solutions.
But the profit motive for embryonic stem cell therapies was strong and a lot of government funds had been put into its research. Pharmaceutical companies were motivated because they could patent stem cells created from embryonic tissues.
Bone marrow stem cell therapy was among the first to depart from flawed hESC (human embryonic stem cell) therapies developed over the past two decades. Bone marrow stem cell therapy was the segue into the adult stem cell therapy movement.
Bone marrow extractions are painful, requiring general anesthesia. Its relatively difficult and expensive compared to adipose (fat) tissue stem cell harvesting.
Bone marrows high white blood cell count also encourages inflammation, making it counter-productive for patients already suffering from chronic inflammation or autoimmune disorders.
Most importantly, adipose (fat) tissue yields up to 500 times more mesenchymal stem cells than bone marrow sources, according to Dr. Comella. These are potent stem cells that can differentiate into a wide variety of other cell types. Furthermore, the adipose white blood cell count is lower than bone marrow matter.
Overactive, confused immune responses attack organs continually and create chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases. The lower white blood cell count automatically lowers the risk of further inflammation among patients already suffering from chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases.
The outpatient treatment involves creating a very small and shallow incision that wont require stitches on an area of skin covering adipose tissue (fat). From there, liposuction can withdraw a portion of the fat. This part of the procedure requires only a local anesthetic.
Then what is extracted is spun at high speed in a special centrifuge to isolate the stem cells which are then purified for IV drip delivery or injection into the same patient from whom it was extracted. Total costs range from five to ten thousand dollars or more in some cases.
Dr. Comella and her colleagues mission is to get adult stem cell therapy available for everyone. Private and government health insurance providers cover medical treatments that are much more expensive.
Why not cover one that would save money with its lower expense and fewer side effects?
Over the years, there have been nearly 12,000 adult stem cell therapies performed in the United States with an over 90 percent success healing rate for mostly joint and spinal conditions as well as heart and lung issues.
But the three known adverse side effect cases continually get all the media attention.
The Panama College of Cell Science, which helped launch Kristin Comellas research and development, had this to say about her:
"Perhaps the most influential clinician on the subject of adult stem cell therapy, Dr. Comella has been able to quietly develop patient treatment protocols and treat patients via collaborating physicians and health care providers using legal patient-specific FDA guidelines, including studies permitted by Institutional Review Boards, patient-specific stem cell clinical trials, and direct treatments using the patients own stem cells that are harvested and re-injected for therapeutic purposes.
"Through Dr. Comellas leadership, she and her team have trained and certified more than 700 physicians worldwide in adult stem cell therapy." (Source)
The interview below allows the energetic Dr. Kristin Comella to give a thorough and upbeat description of adult stem cell therapy.
Big Pharma Is Using the FDA to Eliminate Unregulated Adult Stem Cell Competition
Since the late 1990s, adult stem cells used therapeutically were not under the control of the FDA and the adult stem cell movement took off.
There were complaints from some MDs that the adult stem cell practice should be regulated by the FDA. The Panama College of Cell Science responded to those outcries with this statement:
"The motive in opposing adult stem cell therapy is money. The big institutions want to keep federal funding of embryonic stem cell research at a high level with the promise that cures are just around the corner despite the fact that embryonic stem cells will never be useful in any way for patient treatment because they immediately cause tumors when transplanted." (Source)
Adult stem cell therapy is an autologous treatment method. The stem cells are not lab-created. They are only isolated and purified after extracting them from the patient being treated. Injecting them back into that patient powers up the bodys own healing mechanism to overcome chronic ailments.
The FDA didnt and shouldnt have anything to do with regulating stem cells from ones own body. That situation has recently been arbitrarily and suddenly changed.
Around 2014, the FDA started tweaking their guidance rules for stem cell therapy with the purpose of getting new rules made into laws through Congress that could be interpreted according to FDA whims and enforced arbitrarily. Their agenda is to consider adult stem cells as FDA-regulated drugs.
During our phone conversation, Dr. Comella explained how the FDA ignored testimonies from adult stem cell practitioners during their 2015 public hearings regarding new guideline proposals. Then they arranged to create new rules behind closed door meetings that included pharmaceutical industry allies and insiders.
The result was that by 2017, the FDAs hands-off policy with adult stem cell therapy came to a sudden halt after years of highly successful stem cell practice.
By 2018, the FDA got nastier with the the most influential clinician on the subject of adult stem cell therapy as its target. The FDA started doing inspections of Dr. Comellas South Florida clinic that are designed for labs that manufacture drugs.
The standards for hospitals and clinics are not as strict as drug manufacturers. Those inspections were inappropriate for a clinic. But those inspections made it easier to create damaging reports.
When the inspectors came by, they demanded to go into rooms while treatments were taking place with semi-nude or nude patients, which Dr. Comella prohibited. The inspectors also demanded to view patient medical records. She allowed that after redacting their names on the copies she gave them.
For her actions to protect patients privacy, inspectors allegedly cited Dr. Comella for resisting and obstructing FDA inspections.
Soon after the inspections, the FDA served Dr. Comella with a lawsuit for practicing medicine with unapproved drugs. The drugs were only those stem cell solutions drawn from patients to be used on them.
The FDA has allegedly offered to drop the lawsuit if Dr. Comella signed an agreement to stop doing adult stem cell therapy and no longer promote it.
She refused. She said she has witnessed people leave their wheelchairs for good from this therapy. The trial is set for a Federal Court hearing beginning June 2019, in Miami, Florida.
If Dr. Comella loses this court case, adult stem cell therapy in the USA may be forced out of the country and only be available to those who can afford medical tourism.
Here is the original post:
Adult Stem Cell Therapy Is A Resounding Healing Success, So ...
- Century Therapeutics to Present at the 63rd American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and Host Virtual Research & Development Update - Yahoo... - November 8th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Prices $23 Million Public Offering - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- Lab-Growing Everything Might Be The Only Way To Attain A Sustainable World - Intelligent Living - November 8th, 2021
- Probiotics Market to Experience Significant Growth during the Forecast Period 2021-2028 Bolivar Commercial - Bolivar Commercial - November 8th, 2021
- They demonstrate the existence of stem cells in the hippocampus of the human brain - Market Research Telecast - October 28th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Nomination of Two New Members to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - October 28th, 2021
- Akiko Nishiyama Explains the Many Strengths of a Degree in Physiology and Neurobiology - UConn Today - UConn Today - October 28th, 2021
- New stem cell identified by Sanford Burnham Prebys researchers offers hope to people with rare liver disease - Newswise - October 16th, 2021
- The Impact Of Market Restrictions On The US Stem Cell Biomaterials Market - Med Device Online - October 16th, 2021
- College Student and Retired Teacher to Thank Stem Cell Donors They've Never Met for Saving Their Lives During City of Hope's 45th Bone Marrow... - October 16th, 2021
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial Data of NurOwn in Progressive MS Will Be Presented at the 37th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in... - October 16th, 2021
- Cell therapy strategies for COVID-19: Current approaches and potential applications - Science Advances - August 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market worth $40.3 billion by 2027 Exclusive Report by CoherentMarketInsights - PharmiWeb.com - August 18th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Superior Neurogenesis Induction in Animal Model of Viral Induced Cognitive Dysfunction Compared to other... - August 18th, 2021
- Atf3 and Rab7b genes drive regeneration in mature cells - Baylor College of Medicine News - August 18th, 2021
- U of T's Medicine by Design helps unite international researchers working to map every human cell - News@UofT - August 18th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Witnesses Upward Trend with High Prevalence of Parkinson's Disease The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 22nd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Notice of Allowance for a New Patent Application Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program -... - April 4th, 2021
- Transplant After CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Durable Disease Control in Children, Young Adults With B-ALL - Cancer Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Assay Market Changing Dynamics Of Competition With Forecast To 2030 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Reveals Enhanced Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 FLA News - FLA News - March 8th, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Size, Share, Global Industry Overview, Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2024 (Effect of the COVID-19... - February 17th, 2021
- Be The Match encourages people of color to join bone marrow registry - KING5.com - February 17th, 2021
- Discovery for turning on cell repair in tissues and organs - Monash University - February 17th, 2021
- Manageable Safety Profile Observed in Phase 1 Studies Examining UCART19 for Pediatric and Adult Patients with B-Cell ALL - Cancer Network - February 11th, 2021
- The Very First Signs of an Immune Response Have Been Filmed in a Developing Embryo - ScienceAlert - February 11th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Fludarabine is Safe and Effective for Patients with MRD+ AML/MDS - Cancer Network - February 9th, 2021
- Creative Bioarray Offers Stem Cell Lines Generation Service for Promoting Scientific Research - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2021
- JSP191 With Low Dose Irradiation and Chemotherpy Demonstrates Efficacy and Safety in MRD+ AML/MDS - Targeted Oncology - February 9th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market Value to Reach Around USD 17.79 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Global Adult Stem Cells Market Revenue To Witness Humongous Elevation By 2026 Market Research Store Jumbo News - Jumbo News - February 4th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Score Past US$ 40.3 Billion Valuation by 2027: At a CAGR of 21.1% KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 2nd, 2021
- Reduced Adult Neurogenesis Linked with Alzheimers Disease - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine (Bone and Joint) Market to Score Past US$ 14990.0 Million Valuation by 2027: CMI KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - February 2nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Size to Witness A Lucrative Growth Over 2020-2027 | Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - February 2nd, 2021
- Adult Stem Cells Market Demand, Growth Challenges, Industry Analysis And Forecasts To 2026 | Epistem Ltd.,Globalstem,Mesoblast Ltd.,Brainstorm Cell... - February 2nd, 2021
- ToolGen ties up with 3D bioprinting company to apply induced pluripotent stem cells to gene correction - Aju Business Daily - February 2nd, 2021
- Medicine by Design researchers focus on promoting self-repair of the brain - News@UofT - January 31st, 2021
- Should You Buy Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc (BCLI) Stock on Tuesday? - InvestorsObserver - January 31st, 2021
- Eye stem cell transplant to treat blindness bolsters retinal function in monkeys - FierceBiotech - January 14th, 2021
- Induction of muscle-regenerative multipotent stem cells from human adipocytes by PDGF-AB and 5-azacytidine - Science Advances - January 14th, 2021
- RoosterBio Partners with Sartorius to Advance Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - GlobeNewswire - January 14th, 2021
- Reversing The Aging Clock With Epigenetic Reprogramming - Bio-IT World - January 14th, 2021
- New Models in Organoids Market Open New Vistas in Stem Cell Research for Cancer, Global Valuation to Reach US$ 12.8 Bn by 2030: TMR - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Health Canada Approves ONUREG (azacitidine tablets), First Maintenance Therapy for Patients in Remission from Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Canada NewsWire - January 12th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application to 2026| Covid-19 Impact - Farming Sector - January 9th, 2021
- The real reason behind goosebumps - Jill Lopez - January 3rd, 2021
- Synthetic lethality across normal tissues is strongly associated with cancer risk, onset, and tumor suppressor specificity - Science Advances - January 3rd, 2021
- New Approaches to the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - January 3rd, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapies Are Set to Expand Into More Hematologic Malignancy Indications - Targeted Oncology - December 26th, 2020
- ElevateBio's HighPassBio Presents on Novel T Cell Receptor Cell Therapy for Leukemia Relapse at 62nd Annual ASH Meeting - Business Wire - December 6th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- Multiple sclerosis iPS-derived oligodendroglia conserve their properties to functionally interact with axons and glia in vivo - Science Advances - December 6th, 2020
- UCART22 Safe and Active in CD22-Expressing B-Cell ALLs - Targeted Oncology - December 6th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 6th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay to Register Substantial Expansion by 2026| Merck, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: Covid 19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Functionally distinct resident macrophage subsets differentially shape responses to infection in the bladder - Science Advances - November 25th, 2020
- BioRestorative Therapies Emerges from Chapter 11 Reorganization Other OTC:BRTX - GlobeNewswire - November 20th, 2020
- Jakafi and Dacogen May Improve Overall Survival in Patients with MPN - Curetoday.com - November 20th, 2020
- BRTX-100; the Story of BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTX) - MicroCap Daily - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 16th, 2020
- Organoids mimic the early development of the heart in mouse embryos - BioNews - November 16th, 2020
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells do not express ACE2 and TMPRSS2 and are not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection - DocWire News - November 16th, 2020
- Cynata Therapeutics (ASX:CYP) begins phase three osteoarthritis trial - The Market Herald - November 16th, 2020
- $ 30.1 billion Worth Cell Expansion Market, Led by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT and Others. re:Jerusalem -... - November 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Advanced Wound Care Management Market : Implications on Business Strategies, Countermeasures, Economic Impact - The Think... - November 1st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 Is Growing with Highest Size, Share of Top Key Players in the Industry and Forecast Survey Till 2024 - Zenit News - October 30th, 2020
- Somatic Mutations in UBA1 and Severe Adult-Onset Autoinflammatory Disease - DocWire News - October 30th, 2020
- JadiCell Stem Cells Licensed by Therapeutic Solutions International for Brain Injury Significantly Increased Survival of COVID-19 Patients in Double... - October 29th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Adult Stem Cells Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- APstem Therapeutics Announces Successful FDA INTERACT Meeting Regarding AP-Skin-01, an Off-the-Shelf Allogeneic Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of... - October 29th, 2020
- Why Small Businesses Matter in Wilton (Reimagined): Interventional Orthopedics Connecticut - HamletHub - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact On Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 Future Development, Manufacturers, Trends, Share, Size And Forecast to 2027 |... - October 29th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market a comprehensive study by key players- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo BCT, Merck KGaA and... - October 24th, 2020
- Genmab Announces IFM, HOVON and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results in Second Part of Phase 3 CASSIOPEIA Study of Daratumumab in Multiple Myeloma... - October 24th, 2020
- What Is the Role of Allogeneic-SCT in Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in the Era of Targeted Therapies? - Targeted Oncology - October 21st, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market (Covid-19 updated report), Trends, Top Manufacturers, Exponential Growth and Forecast 2020 to 2027 By Reportspedia -... - October 17th, 2020