In parallel to vaccine research, theres an urgent need for effective treatments for the respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.
ISRAEL (Scientists across the globe are working on vaccines to prevent Covid-19 infection. After initial vaccines are approved, there is an urgent need for effective treatments for the respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.
Most potential treatments target the life-threatening lung inflammation typical of covid-19 severe cases. Its caused by a phenomenon called a cytokine storm.
Cytokines are proteins that trigger inflammation as a natural response to infection. In response to a virus overload, in this case, in the lungs, the immune system activates a storm of cytokines. Too many cytokines lead to too much inflammation, which can damage the lungs and cause respiratory distress.
Israeli hospitals were among the first anywhere to use dexamethasone, a steroid drug, to stop cytokines storms and reduce lung inflammation in severely ill Covid-19 patients. However, steroids can suppress the immune response too actively.
Additionally, an Israeli hospital is among the first to do a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of ivermectin, a drug to treat parasitic infections in people and animals, to see if it can shorten the duration of the disease if given to Covid-19 patients immediately after diagnosis.
Israelis are also formulating novel therapeutics of their own. Here are 13 potential Israeli treatments using a variety of approaches.
Pluristem On June 11, Pluristem Therapeutics of Haifa announced a multicenter Phase 2 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) efficacy and safety study of its PLX-PAD cells for treating severe Covid-19 complicated by acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
PLX, an injected regenerative placenta-derived cell therapy, stimulates the immune systems natural regulatory T cells and M2 macrophages, possibly preventing or reversing a cytokine storm. PLX cells potentially reduce the incidence or severity of Covid-19 pneumonia and pneumonitis.
Pluristem has treated Covid-19 patients under compassionate use programs in the United States and Israel. Initial data from 18 patients showed that 75% were off mechanical ventilation within 28 days.
PLX cells are available off-the-shelf and once commercialized, can be manufactured in large-scale quantities, offering a key advantage in addressing a global pandemic, the company said.
Silkim Jerusalem-based Silkim Pharma recently submitted Coronzot, its novel treatment for Covid-19 patients with moderate to severe symptoms, to the FDAs Investigational New Drug (IND) program.
IND designation would give Silkim permission to start human clinical trials and ship Coronzot across state lines before a marketing application has been approved.
Coronzots novel mechanism targets a pivotal factor in cytokine storms. It removes an inflammatory overaccumulation of labile iron and replaces it with a minute amount of gallium or zinc.
This not only suppresses the storm but also inhibits viral proteins that attack the lungs and heart. Gallium inhibits virus replication and promotes apoptosis (self-destruction) of already invaded cells. Zinc helps suppress inflammatory reactions and enzymes that enable coronavirus replication.
The company is actively engaged in the FDA process. We look forward to finalizing the IND and then moving towards conducting clinical studies of Coronzot for Covid-19, said Silkim Pharma CEO Dror Chevion.
RedHill Biopharma RedHill Biopharma, based in Raleigh, North Carolina, and Tel Aviv, is racing to advance our development program with opaganib for Covid-19, according to a June 10 statement by Dr. Mark L. Levitt, RedHill medical director.
RedHill acquired opaganib from US-based Apogee Biotechnology, which developed this oral drug to fight cancer, inflammation, and viruses.
RedHill has seen encouraging preliminary findings from six Israeli Covid-19 patients given opaganib under compassionate use to reduce lung inflammation. All were weaned from supplemental oxygen and discharged from the hospital without having to receive mechanical ventilation.
RedHill plans a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel-arm, placebo-controlled Phase 2/3 clinical study on 270 US patients with severe Covid-19 pneumonia.
We are expanding the development program to Russia and additional European countries, parallel with the US clinical study, to accelerate the collection of robust data on the potential efficacy of opaganib against Covid-19, said Levitt.
The company is working with government agencies worldwide to allow more patients access to the investigational drug through clinical studies and compassionate use programs.
InnoCan InnoCan founders, from left, Ron Mayron, Iris Bincovich, Yoram Drucker. Photo by Rotem Lahav InnoCan Pharma Israel and Tel Aviv University tech-transfer company Ramot are collaborating to develop a new CBD-loaded exosome technology to fight lung inflammation.
Exosomes, small particles created from stem cells, can act as homing missiles targeting specific damaged organs and facilitating cell-to-cell communication.
Combining the cell-healing properties of exosomes with the anti-inflammatory properties of the cannabis-derived compound CBD is expected to have a strong synergetic effect. The treatment is administrated by inhalation.
Stero Biotechs Stero Biotechs of Bnei Brak has started a small clinical trial at Rabin Medical Center in Petah Tikva on the tolerability, safety, and efficacy of CBD-enhanced steroid treatment for hospitalized Covid-19 patients.
Steroid treatment is usually the first or second line of treatment for hospitalized patients. CBD enhances the therapeutic effect of steroid treatment and treats the bio-mechanism affected by the virus, the company explained.
Eybna and CannaSoul Two Israeli cannabis R & D firms, Eybna Technologies and CannaSoul Analytics, develop a proprietary terpene formulation for modulating cytokine storms.
Terpenes are organic compounds found in cannabis and other plants. Studies suggest they can be effective antiviral agents.
CannaSouls Cytokine Storm Assay (from its Myplant-Bio subsidiary) will aid in optimizing and customizing Eybnas novel NT-VRL inhaled formulation for treatment and prevention of viral infections in high-risk populations and actively ill patients.
The FDA considers this assay as a good predictor for cytokine storm response and immunotoxicity, and it is commonly required in the development of biological treatments, according to CannaSoul Chairman and CSO Prof. Dedi Meiri.
The NT-VRL formulation intended to be used via inhalation, said Eybna CEO Nadav Eyal. This delivery method dramatically increases the terpenes bioavailability by directly contacting the infected cells in the respiratory system.
CannaSoul aims to identify other cannabis molecules capable of suppressing a cytokine storm in response to Covid-19 without completely suppressing the immune system. It is also studying how cannabis molecules could modulate the ACE2 receptor, which allows the virus to inject its genetic expression into human cells.
Kamada Based in Rehovot, Kamada has begun supplying its experimental plasma-derived Hyperimmune IgG therapy for compassionate use in severe Covid-19 cases in Israel.
The treatment is based on plasma donated by recovered Israeli Covid-19 patients. One critically ill patient at Hadassah Medical Center showed initial improvement after having the experimental IgG therapy but ultimately did not survive.
During the third quarter of this year, Kamada expects to start a Phase 1/2 clinical study in hospitalized Covid-19 patients in Israel and hold a pre-IND meeting with the FDA to expand clinical development in the United States in partnership with Kedrion Biopharma.
Kedrion is collecting plasma from recovered American Covid-19 patients at 23 FDA-approved centers across the United States. This will be used by Kamada to manufacture additional batches of the product.
To the best of our knowledge, Kamada is the first company globally to complete manufacturing of a plasma-derived IgG product for the treatment of Covid-19, said Kamada CEO Amir London.
Israel Institute for Biological Research The government-run Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR) announced in May that analogs of two drugs for Gauchers disease proved effective against SARS-CoV-2.
This drug cocktail is made up of the FDA-approved Cerdelga and an analog of the second drug in advanced stages of the approval process.
The IIBR study on cell cultures demonstrated that the two-drug treatment significantly reduced the coronaviruss replication capacity and the destruction of the infected cell. This potential treatment is currently being tested in animals infected with the coronavirus.
The IIRB also isolated several critical coronavirus antibodies that successfully neutralized aggressive coronavirus in lab tests. These could form the basis of future treatment following further testing.
Pepticom Based in Jerusalem, Pepticom computationally designs novel peptide drug candidates using artificial intelligence. The company raised $5 million last year.
Three months ago, Pepticom began implementing its proprietary AI technology on various coronavirus proteins to identify novel peptides that inhibit the interaction between the spike protein of SARS-Cov-2 and the ACE2 receptor thereby stopping the virus from entering the cell.
CEO Immanuel Lerner says three such proteins have already been identified and are being validated in the lab.
Using AI is a fast way to find these peptides, which are less expensive and easier to produce than antibodies, Lerner tells ISRAEL21c. Many parties are interested in looking at our results and finding ways to develop this further.
Bonus BioGroup In April, Bonus BioGroup initiated a preclinical study of MesenCure, its unique drug for treating acute and life-threatening respiratory distress in coronavirus and pneumonia patients.
MesenCure consists of activated mesenchymal stromal (stem) cells from healthy adult donors. The activation of these MSCs is intended to boost their ability to reduce lung inflammation, promote regeneration of the diseased lung tissue, and alleviate respiratory and other symptoms in the lungs.
The development of MesenCure relies on more than a decade of related experience and technologies that Bonus BioGroup has used in developing its lead product, a tissue-engineered bone graft, also based on MSCs.
With the current coronavirus outbreak, Bonus BioGroup has started tissue culture studies into the potential of these MSCs, further activated, to alleviate inflammation, including in the lungs, and possibly attenuate the cytokine storm in COVID-19 patients, the company explained.
The preclinical study in several animal models is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2020. The company said preliminary results indicate that following the treatment with MesenCure, the microscopic appearance of the treated lungs was similar to a healthy lung, and a significant improvement in additional related parameters was achieved.
Bonus BioGroup presented these results to 1,800 scientists, physicians, and public opinion leaders at the International Society for Cell & Gene Therapy virtual conference in May.
NanoGhost Technion-Israel Institute of Technology Prof. Marcelle Machluf developed a drug-delivery technology that uses reconstructed mesenchymal stem cells as nano-vesicles to transport medicine directly to a target.
NanoGhost is the startup she established to commercialize the technology, which has proven successful in treating pancreatic, lung, breast, prostate, and brain cancer in mice. The NanoGhost technology has been patented in the United States and Europe, with additional patents pending in India and China.
Now, Machluf is adapting her technology to create decoy NanoGhosts that attract and entrap the coronavirus, making for a less severe infection. She explains it in the video below.
Enlivex Enlivex Therapeutics of Ness Ziona is developing Allocetra, a novel immunotherapy medication to treat organ dysfunction and acute multiple organ failure associated with sepsis and Covid-19, as well as solid tumors.
Allocetra rebalances a severely unbalanced immune system by engaging with the immune systems own regulation mechanisms. It is designed to restore a safe immune balance following a cytokine storm.
Enlivex is starting to recruit Covid-19 patients in Israel and in the United States to test the potential effect of Allocetra on moderate to severe cases. A patent from the Japan Patent Office is expected during the third quarter of 2020.
Weizmann Institute of Science Organic chemist Nir London of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot is co-leading a collaborative project to identify small molecules that can bind to and inhibit a protease enzyme that the SARS-CoV-2 virus needs to reproduce.
London and his research team had previously developed an advanced method for identifying potential inhibitors for numerous proteins.
So far, we have made close to 800 compounds and tested more than 650 and keep getting closer to sufficiently potent inhibitors, London tells ISRAEL21c.
These inhibitors will be further investigated for their potential as a starting point for new drugs against the coronavirus.
London is working with researchers from Oxford University, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, University of British Columbia, and Californian-based biotech company.
The Yucatan Times Newsroom
- This revolutionary new coronavirus cure is already saving lives - BGR - August 14th, 2020
- Survivors of Pediatric Cancers May Experience Lasting Impact on Heart, Metabolic Health Following Radiation Therapy - Pharmacy Times - August 14th, 2020
- TG Therapeutics Umbralisib Development, And Other News: The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Biopharma - Seeking Alpha - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Industry Outlook, Growth Prospects and Key Opportunities - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 13th, 2020
- Radiation to treat pediatric cancers may have lasting impact on heart and metabolic health - Science Codex - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 11th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 11th, 2020
- Salles Speaks to the Potential Benefit of the Tafasitamab Combo in the R/R DLBCL Setting - Targeted Oncology - August 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market: Global Forecast over COVID-19 2024 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ALLO.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of XNCR.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 4-Aug-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2020
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Trends and Highlights - Bulletin Line - August 4th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: NuVasive, Cytori... - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Insights and Business Outlook By Top Players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 29th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - July 29th, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 Overall Analysis and Forecast up to the Year 2027 - Sanford Philosopher - July 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Announce Second Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate and R&D Update - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2020
- New Study Offers First Glimpse Into How Widespread COVID-19 Antibodies are in Canada's Adult Population - Canada NewsWire - July 24th, 2020
- US regulations for regenerative medicine advanced therapies - Regulatory Focus - July 24th, 2020
- Scientists discovered the real reason behind goosebumps - Tech Explorist - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 23rd, 2020
- New study offers first glimpse into how widespread COVID-19 antibodies are in Canada's adult population - McGill Newsroom - July 23rd, 2020
- Data Shows Direct Link Between COVID-19 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) In Infected P - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2020
- The global cell expansion market size is estimated to be USD 14.9 billion in 2020 and projected to reach USD 30.1 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.1%... - July 22nd, 2020
- Charles Darwin Investigated Goosebumps Now Harvard Scientists Discover the Real Reason Behind Them - SciTechDaily - July 21st, 2020
- Higher Steaks Creates World's First Lab-Grown Bacon and Pork Belly - The Spoon - July 21st, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 19th, 2020
- Local scientists create 'mini livers' to trial therapies for liver diseases - The Straits Times - July 17th, 2020
- Can banking your stem cells prevent aging? | Well+Good - July 16th, 2020
- Expected Growth In Stem Cells Market from 2020-2026 to Guide : Trends, Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- The Baxter Foundation supports USC research on epilepsy and lung injury - USC News - July 16th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell Success Story Leukemia | BRMS - July 16th, 2020
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 15th, 2020
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market Outlook With Key Player, Regions, CAGR of 12.2%, and Specification, Cost Analysis, Price and Gross Margin by... - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Analysis | Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2026 Forecasts - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- Cortical Bone Derived Stem Cells Modulate Cardiac Fibroblast Response via miR-18a in the Heart After Injury - DocWire News - July 14th, 2020
- Cord blood banking in Bulgaria: problems of control and continuing insurance - Lexology - July 13th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Outlook, Opportunity and Demand Analysis, Forecast 2020-2027|-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And Company. Holostem... - July 10th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market 2020 Global Analysis, Size, Growth, Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Leading Players, Merger, Acquisition, Opportunity, With Regional... - July 10th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - July 2nd, 2020
- Growth in Sales of Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Push Revenue Growth in the Market - 3rd Watch News - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Plasma therapy vs stem cell therapy, what's the difference? - Gulf News - June 29th, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 29th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 29th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analysis Growth Opportunities and Demand Drives by 2016 to 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 28th, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - Yahoo Finance - June 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Stem Cells Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2019-2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 26th, 2020
- Nuclear softening expedites interstitial cell migration in fibrous networks and dense connective tissues - Science Advances - June 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 20th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Presents Findings from Phase 1 Zella 101 Clinical Study Evaluating Investigational Agent Alvocidib in Patients with Newly... - June 16th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Having a good level of vitamin D may reduce the risk of certain cancers - Yahoo Singapore News - June 11th, 2020
- Major skin cancer research study to begin at The Hormel Institute - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Transforming the spleen into a liver-like organ in vivo - Science Advances - June 11th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 7th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview and forecasts to | 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 5th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with... - June 5th, 2020
- Follica Announces Positive Feedback From End of Phase 2 Meeting With FDA for Its Lead Program to Treat Male Androgenetic Alopecia - Business Wire - June 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - MarketBeat - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2017-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 2nd, 2020
- What It's Like to Grow a 'Mini-Brain' From Your Own Cells - Discover Magazine - May 25th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 25th, 2020
- Newborn in Japan receives first treatment with liver STEM cells - ZME Science - May 23rd, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells Market with Coronavirus (Covid-19) Impact Analysis | Industry Strong Development By Major Eminent Players, New Innovations, Key... - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact Analysis, Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Component, By Enterprise Size, By End... - May 16th, 2020
- The RNA binding protein CPEB2 regulates hormone sensing in mammary gland development and luminal breast cancer - Science Advances - May 16th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Market Developments and Analysis (impact of Covid-19) 2020-2026 - Herald Writeup - May 15th, 2020
- Takeda Pharmaceutical : China announces ADCETRIS (brentuximab vedotin) is approved for the treatment of adult patients with CD30-positive Lymphomas -... - May 15th, 2020
- New Data for Investigational CRISPR/Cas9 Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 for Severe Hemoglobinopathies Accepted for Oral Presentation at the 25th European... - May 14th, 2020