Click on photo (at left) to enlarge Photo:iPS cells feature reprogrammed stem cells: Credit: Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
Russian researchers have concluded that reprogramming does not create differences between reprogrammed and embryonic stem cells.
Stem cells are specialized,undifferentiated cellsthat can divide and have the remarkable potential to develop into many different cell types in the body during early life and growth. They serve as a sort of internal repair system in many tissues, dividing essentially without limit to replenish other cells. When a stem cell divides, each new cell has the potential either to remain a stem cell or become another more specialized cell type, such as a muscle cell, a red blood cell, or a brain cell. Scientists
distinguish several types ofstem cellspluripotent stem cells can potentially produce any cell in the body. No pluripotent stem cells exist in an adult body, rather they are found naturally in early embryos.
There are two ways to harvest pluripotent stem cells. The first is to extract them from the excess embryos produced duringinvitro fertilization procedures, although this practice is still ethically and technically controversial because it does destroy an embryo that could have been implanted. For this reason, researchers came up with the second way to get pluripotent stem cells reprogramming adult cells.
Reprogramming, the process of turning on genes that are active in a stem cell and turning off genes that are responsible for cell specialization was pioneered by Shinya Yamanaka, who showed that the introduction of four specific proteins essential during early embryonic development could be used to convert adult cells intopluripotent cells. Yamanaka was awarded the 2012 Nobel Prize along with Sir John Gurdon for the discovery that mature stem cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent.
Production of iPS cells: Isolate cells from patient; grow in a dish Treat cells with reprogramming Wait a few weeks Pluripotent stem cells Change culture conditions to stimulate cells to differentiate into a variety of cell types blood cells | gut cells | cardio muscle cells Credit: Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
Thanks to their unique regenerative abilities, stem cells offer potential for treating any disease. For example, there have been cases of transplanting retinal pigment epithelium and spine cells from stem cells. Another experiment showed that stem cells were able to regenerate teeth in mice. Reprogramming holds great potential for new medical applications, since reprogrammed pluripotent stem cells (or induced pluripotent stem cells) can be made from a patients own cells instead of using pluripotent cells from embryos.
However, the extent of the similarity between induced pluripotent stem cells and humanembryonic stem cellsremains unclear. Recent studies highlighted significant differences between these two types of stem cells, although only a limited number of cell lines of different origins were analyzed.
Researchers compared induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines reprogrammed from adult cell types that were previously differentiated from embryonic stem cells. All these cells were isogenic, meaning they all had the same gene set.
Scientists analyzed the transcriptome the set of all products encoded, synthesized and used in a cell. Moreover, they elicited methylated DNA areas, because methylation plays a critical role in cell specialization. Comprehensive studies of changes in the gene activity regulation mechanism showed similarities between reprogrammed and embryonic stem cells. In addition, researchers produced a list of the activity of 275 key genes that can present reprogramming results.
Researchers studied three types of adult cells fibroblasts, retinal pigment epithelium andneural cells, all of which consist of the same gene set; but a chemical modification (e.g. methylation) combined with other changes determines which part of DNA will be used for product synthesis.
Scientists concluded that the type of adult cells that were reprogrammed and the process of reprogramming did not leave any marks. Differences between cells that did occur were thought to be the result of random factors.
We defined the best induced pluripotent stem cells line concept, says Dmitry Ischenko, MIPT Ph.D. and Institute of Physical Chemical Medicine researcher.
The minimum number of iPSC clones that would be enough for at least one to be similar to embryonic pluripotent cells with 95 percent confidence is five.
Clearly, no one is going to convert embryonic stem cells into neurons and reprogram them into induced stem cells. Such a process would be too time-consuming and expensive. This experiment simulated the reprogramming of a patientsadult cellsinto inducedpluripotent stem cellsfor further medical use, and even though the reprogramming paper, published in the journal Cell Cycle, does not currently propose a method of organ growth in vitro, it is an important step in the right direction. Both induced pluripotent cells and embryonic stem cells can help researchers understand how specialized cells develop from pluripotent cells. In the future, they may also provide an unlimited supply of replacement cells and tissues that can benefit many patients with diseases that are currently untreatable.
The study, titled, An integrative analysis of reprogramming in human isogenic system identified a clone selection criterion, concluded that reprogramming does not create differences between reprogrammed and embryonic stem cells, involved researchers from the Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Research Institute of Physical Chemical Medicine, and the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT).
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market By Covid-19 Impact Analysis Volume and Value, Revenue, Business Opportunity, Future Projections,... - July 7th, 2020
- A novel system to map protein interactions reveals evolutionarily conserved immune evasion pathways on transmissible cancers - Science Advances - July 4th, 2020
- Tom Still: Will Tommy boost UW research? - La Crosse Tribune - July 1st, 2020
- Lab-grown mini-organs reveal the damage inflicted by Covid-19 - Health24 - June 30th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market 2020, Top Key Players, Trends, Size, Drivers, Policies, Applications And Competitive Landscape To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 26th, 2020
- Insight on the Growth of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Growth with Challenges, Standardization, Competitive Market Share and Top Players... - June 26th, 2020
- How cancer cells resist radiotherapy - The Star Online - June 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Bond Measure To Be Placed On November Ballot - California Globe - June 24th, 2020
- Trending: Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies 2020: Global Size, Supply-Demand, Product Type and End User Analysis To 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 24th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market Demands, Key Players, Growth, Size and Forecast with Impact of COVID-19 (2020-2024) - Jewish Life News - June 23rd, 2020
- COVID 19 to Lead the Sales of Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cells to Register Stellar Growth in the Next 10 Years - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 23rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market: Size and Forecast with Impact Analysis of COVID-19 (2020-2024) - Cole of Duty - June 23rd, 2020
- Outlook on the Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2024 - Rising Global Healthcare Expenditure Presents Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - June 23rd, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market (2020 to 2024) - Size & Forecast with Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - June 23rd, 2020
- PMR Reveals In-Depth Analysis On The Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2016-2022 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 23rd, 2020
- Genome-wide kinetic properties of transcriptional bursting in mouse embryonic stem cells - Science Advances - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cells Without Ethical Implications Are Ready for the Spotlight - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Generate Massive Revenue to $6,956 million by 2023 | Cord Blood Registry, ViaCord, Cryo-Cell, China Cord Blood... - June 13th, 2020
- Study identifies mechanism affecting X chromosome that could lead to new disease therapies - Science Codex - June 12th, 2020
- Exploring the Therapeutic Potential of ST266 Against Numerous Diseases Including COVID-19 - Technology Networks - June 12th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the F - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - June 12th, 2020
- Assisted fertilization, the referendum 15 years ago - NJ MMA News - June 12th, 2020
- Growth in Sales of Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to Push Revenue Growth in the Market - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 12th, 2020
- Explore the Mice Model Market: CRISPR As a Powerful Tool in the Field of BioMedical Research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size Detailed Analysis ... - June 12th, 2020
- Science News Roundup: Tiny 13,500-year-old bird statuette shows origins of Chinese art; World's largest green turtle colony nearly twice as big as... - June 12th, 2020
- Sales Revenue of Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cells to Increase in Coming 10 years on Back of Rapid Adoption Across Major Industries Medic Report -... - June 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Microglia: the brains 'immune cells' protect against diseases but they can also cause them - The Conversation UK - June 1st, 2020
- 1st transplant using liver cells from embryonic stem cells conducted on baby in Japan - The Mainichi - May 26th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 26th, 2020
- Anti-Aging: HGH Can Reduce Biological Age by One Year and a Half Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - May 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To... - Azizsalon News - May 21st, 2020
- Georgetown student takes Islamic bioethics research at QF to Washington and wins - Gulf Times - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market to witness an impressive growth during - News by aeresearch - May 20th, 2020
- Qatar- Georgetown student takes Islamic bioethics research at QF to Washington and wins - MENAFN.COM - May 15th, 2020
- Millions of Human Cells Have Been Grown Inside Mice Embryos - Newsweek - May 14th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- The Cell Therapy Industry to 2028: Global Market & Technology Analysis, Company Profiles of 309 Players (170 Involved in Stem Cells) -... - May 14th, 2020
- 2025 Projections: Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Report by Type, Application and Regional Outlook - AlgosOnline - May 14th, 2020
- Tolero Pharmaceuticals Announces Expansion of the Zella 102 Study in Patients with Intermediate and High-Risk Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) - The... - May 14th, 2020
- Strides in Medical Tourism Market Key Driver of Low-cost Patient Care in Globalized Healthcare Systems, Notes TMR - Stockhouse - May 14th, 2020
- Uses and Abuses of Scientific Consensus - National Review - May 13th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - Business Wire - May 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on STEM CELL THERAPY MARKET 2020 TO 2027-EXPANDING WORLDWIDE WITH TOP PLAYERS FUTURE BUSINESS SCOPE AND INVESTMENT ANALYSIS REPORT -... - May 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 10th, 2020
- Louis Bacon Is Having The Time Of His Life - Dealbreaker - May 10th, 2020
- Lineage Cell Therapeutics Reports New Data With OpRegen for the Treatment of Dry AMD With Geographic Atrophy - Yahoo Finance - May 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells, Germ Cells, and Cell-Derived ... - May 7th, 2020
- Inside the twisted world of 'rapist' designer Peter Nygard: book - The Loppy - May 4th, 2020
- Lack of investment is the biggest challenge in stem cell research - Express Healthcare - May 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics: Revolutionary Potential But Extremely Early - Seeking Alpha - April 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Role of MyHC-embryonic protein in muscle development and disease - Tech Explorist - April 27th, 2020
- The Republicans who were once so pro-life they fought over one woman on life support now want to sacrifice grandma for the economy - The Independent - April 26th, 2020
- Sustainably Yours: The importance of understanding and trusting in Science - The Phuket News - April 26th, 2020
- Mogrify and Sangamo announce collaboration and exclusive license agreement for Mogrify's iPSC- and ESC-derived regulatory T cells - SelectScience - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - April 24th, 2020
- Mogrify and Sangamo in license agreement for 'off-the-shelf' CAR-Treg - BioPharma-Reporter.com - April 23rd, 2020
- Lozier praises promising, and ethical, blindness study - OneNewsNow - April 23rd, 2020
- A potent CBP/p300-Snail interaction inhibitor suppresses tumor growth and metastasis in wild-type p53-expressing cancer - Science Advances - April 23rd, 2020
- PHF20L1 as a H3K27me2 reader coordinates with transcriptional repressors to promote breast tumorigenesis - Science Advances - April 21st, 2020
- Cyborg computer chips will get their brain from human neurons - SYFY WIRE - April 11th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Germany English News - April 11th, 2020
- Germline mutation of MDM4, a major p53 regulator, in a familial syndrome of defective telomere maintenance - Science Advances - April 11th, 2020
- Turning Back the Clock on Aging Cells - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- A New Way to Study HIV's Impact on the Brain - Global Health News Wire - March 31st, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Market Analysis and Forecasts to 2027 By Recent Trends, Developments In Manufacturing Technology And Regional Growth... - March 31st, 2020
- Laboratory model looking at how a HIV infection impacts the brain - Health Europa - March 31st, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market With Economic Growth And Five Forces Analysis By 2021 - Lake Shore Gazette - March 30th, 2020
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Provides an In-Depth Insight of Sales Analysis, Growth Forecast and Upcoming Trends Opportunities by Types... - March 26th, 2020
- PD-1 Blocker Safe in Childhood Cancers. But Does It Work? - MedPage Today - March 19th, 2020
- YAP1 is a potent driver of the onset and progression of oral squamous cell carcinoma - Science Advances - March 19th, 2020
- Can hybrid embryos save the white rhinos from extinction? - Science 101 - March 17th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, Attractive Valuation | Key Players: Anterogen, Holostem Advanced... - March 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Market Projections to 2028 - The Largest Expansion Will Be in Diseases of the Central Nervous System, Cancer and Cardiovascular... - March 15th, 2020
- 22.5% Growth Rate for Synthetic Stem Cells Market by 2028 | Overview, Top Technologies, Key Insights and Company Profiles - News Times - March 15th, 2020