Xianmin Zeng/Buck Inst.
Nerve cells derived from human stem cells, in work supported by the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine.
When California voters approved US$3billion in funding for stem-cell research in 2004, biologists flocked to the state, and citizens dreamed of cures for Parkinsons disease and spinal-cord injuries. Now, the pot of money one of the biggest state investments in science is running dry before treatments have emerged, raising questions about whether Californians will pour billions more into stem-cell research.
If they dont, that could leave hundreds of scientists without support, and strand potentially promising therapies before they reach the market. Its an issue of great concern, says Jonathan Thomas, chair of the board for the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) in Oakland.
CIRM is now doling out its final $650million, and its leaders are seeking money from the private sector to carry projects beyond 2020, when the money will run out. Advocates are also surveying voters to determine whether a new request for funding stands a chance in state elections next year. But critics argue against this way of funding research.
California voters saw major opportunities for stem cells in 2004 when they passed Proposition 71, which included an agreement to create the corporation that became CIRM. The move was a reaction to then-US president George W. Bushs decision in 2001 to restrict federal funds for work on human embryonic stem cells.
Since CIRM rolled out its first grants in 2006, it has funded more than 750 projects and reported alluring results from clinical trials. In March, a trial partially funded by CIRM showed that nine out of ten children born with severe combined immunodeficiency or bubble-boy disease a potentially lethal condition in which a persons immune system does not function properly, were doing well up to eight years after treatment (K.L.Shaw etal. J. Clin. Invest. http://doi.org/b6bp; 2017). They no longer need injections to be able to go to school, play outside or survive colds and other inevitable infections.
A dozen facilities constructed by CIRM have helped to push California to the forefront of research on ageing and regenerative medicine. Many grant recipients were early-career academics who had not been able to enter the stem-cell field previously because of the federal restrictions which were loosened in 2009 and the high cost of getting started in this kind of work. That barrier makes it difficult for researchers to gather the preliminary data typically required to win grants from the US National Institutes of Health (NIH).
To milk its remaining $650 million, CIRM partnered last year with the contract-research organization QuintilesIMS in Durham, North Carolina, to carry out clinical trials. CIRM leaders hope that this move will help to guide 40 novel therapies into trials by 2020.
Bob Klein, the property developer who put Proposition 71 on the ballot and established CIRM, isnt waiting for the money to run out. He leads an advocacy group, Americans for Cures, which will soon poll voters to see whether they would approve another $5 billion in funding. If it looks like at least 70% of Californians support that plan, hell start a campaign to put another initiative on the ballot in 2018.
Klein hopes that Californians will rise in support of science at a time when the Trump administration has proposed drastic cuts to the NIH budget. If public enthusiasm is not so strong, Klein says, hell aim for the 2020 elections, when voter turnout should be higher because it will coincide with the next presidential race.
Currently, CIRMs leaders are seeking other sources of support. The majority of our projects will not be ripe for interest from big pharma and the venture-capitalist community by the time we run out of funds, Thomas says. He has been courting large philanthropic foundations and wealthy individuals to raise money to continue the work.
John Simpson, who directs stem-cell oversight work at the advocacy group Consumer Watchdog in Washington DC, plans to oppose any effort to extend CIRM. I acknowledge their scientific advances, but we should not let a flawed process go further, he says. Simpson dislikes the model of using a vote to secure research funding through public bonds, because then the state lacks budgetary control.
Oversight of CIRM has been a problem in the past. In 2012, the US Institute of Medicine found that some scientists vetting grant proposals for CIRM had conflicts of interest. In response, CIRM altered its procedures but the public still felt betrayed. Jim Lott, a member of the state board that oversees CIRMs finances, says that he is not satisfied with the changes. He also argues that CIRM may not have been strategic enough in directing research. Some people say if they had a better focus, they might have achieved cures.
But researchers argue that expectations for cures after only a decade are unrealistic, given the typical pace of drug development. It would be a catastrophe for California if people say CIRM did not do what it was expected to do, says Eric Verdin, president of the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Novato, California. Theyve built the foundation for the field and attracted people from around the world you cant just now pull the plug.
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 7th, 2020
- Types of Stem Cell Transplantation | Stem Cell ... - August 7th, 2020
- Mesoblasts share price gained another 16% in July. Heres why. - Motley Fool Australia - August 7th, 2020
- Future Technological Prospects of Stem Cell Assay Market To 2030 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Biobanks Market Projected to be Resilient During 2025 Owned - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Training neural circuits early in development improves response, study finds - University of Illinois News - August 6th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- Contract Manufacturing Services market for stem cells is expected to be worth over USD 2.5 billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis - Market Research... - August 6th, 2020
- INmune Bio, Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2020 Results and Provides Business UpdateThe company will host an earnings call: Today, August 5 at 4:30 PM... - August 6th, 2020
- Global Cell Analysis Instruments Market (2020 to 2025) - Growth, Trends, and Forecasts - Yahoo Finance UK - August 5th, 2020
- HKUMed researchers first discovered SARS-CoV-2 infects human neural progenitor cells and brain organoids - Mirage News - August 4th, 2020
- Electromedical Inc. Accelerates Corporate Expansion and Product DevelopmentAnnounces the Opening of First European Office For the Development of New... - August 4th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) Market 2020-2026 is Slated to Witness Tremendous Growth | Global Players NanoString Technologies, Inc., Miltenyi Biotec... - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 6% Through 2020-2024 | Demand for... - August 4th, 2020
- Gyroscope Announces Appointment of Leaders in Retinal Disease, Gene Therapy and the Complement System to Its Clinical and Scientific Advisory Boards -... - August 4th, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 3rd, 2020
- Annual Luau and Legends of Surfing Invitational to make virtual waves - For the first time ever surfers scientists physicians and survivors will come... - August 3rd, 2020
- Automated Cell Culture Systems Market to Record Strong Growth due to High Demand for Advanced Treatment of Chronic Conditions, Future Market Insights... - August 3rd, 2020
- CarthroniX President/Chairman of the Board R. Rex Parris and Carrol Parris Donate $50,000 in Support of Life Extension Research - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- UPDATE - Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 3rd, 2020
- FDA-approved treatment puts rare cancer with skin manifestations on the map - Dermatology Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Research Newspaper - August 3rd, 2020
- More on the language of immunity - Cosmos - August 3rd, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Products to Discern Magnified Growth During 2019-2025 - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Cryopreservation Media Market Highly Favourable with new Demand to the Growth Rate by 2025 - Market Research Posts - August 1st, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach over $14 Billion by 2025 - Arizton - PRNewswire - July 31st, 2020
- Meso Numismatics Update on 2nd Transaction with Global Stem Cells - GlobeNewswire - July 31st, 2020
- Regenerative Medicine Market 2020 | Research Objectives and Methodology, Growth Analysis, Top Manufacturers Sales, and Cost Structures Forecast 2024 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Cerus Corporation Announces a Five-Year Tender Award by the Hong Kong Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service for INTERCEPT Blood Systems - BioSpace - July 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Market, Forecast to 2025 - Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Government Investments for Cell-based Research -... - July 30th, 2020
- The function of the thymus and its impact on modern medicine - Science Magazine - July 30th, 2020
- AlloVir's IPO Raises $276M to Test Cell Therapies in Transplant Patients - Xconomy - July 30th, 2020
- Cerus Corporation Announces a Five-Year Tender Award by the Hong Kong Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service for INTERCEPT Blood Systems - Business Wire - July 30th, 2020
- Global Cell Expansion Market, Forecast to 2025 - Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Government Investments for Cell-based Research - Yahoo... - July 30th, 2020
- UW researchers devise approach to treat rare, incurable form of blindness - University of Wisconsin-Madison - July 30th, 2020
- A Year After Getting Gene Therapy, Boys With Muscular Dystrophy Are Healthier and Stronger - Singularity Hub - July 30th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020| Industry Demand, Share, Global Trend, Industry News, Business Growth, Top Key Players Update, Business... - July 30th, 2020
- Qkine bolsters top team in first phase of scale-up - Business Weekly - July 30th, 2020
- $30+ Billion Cell Expansion Market by Product, Cell Type, Application, End-user and Region - Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Centre for Commercialization of Cancer Immunotherapy and Regenerative Medicine and the Ontario Institute for Regenerative Medicine Partner to Boost... - July 29th, 2020
- It's Time to 'Be The Match,' Help Save a Life - SCVNEWS.com - July 29th, 2020
- American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians is Hosting an FDA Safety Panel, Session is Now Free to the Public - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- Genfit throws in the towel on NASH, exiting a tumultuous field full of bright market prospects and lethal R&D setbacks - Endpoints News - July 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine Specialist - Greenville ... - July 28th, 2020
- Another Voice: Terminally ill New Yorkers need a peaceful dying option - Buffalo News - July 28th, 2020
- Cleave Therapeutics Announces Commencement of a Phase 1 Clinical Study of CB-5339, A Valosin-Containing Protein (VCP)/p97 Inhibitor, in Patients with... - July 28th, 2020
- Trump looks to hammer down drug prices with 4 executive orders - Endpoints News - July 28th, 2020
- Therapeutic Solutions International Files Patent on Ability of QuadraMune Ingredient Pterostilbene to Reduce Inflammation while Stimulating Brain... - July 28th, 2020
- Duvelisib May Reduce Lung Inflammation in Severe COVID-19 Cases - OncLive - July 27th, 2020
- A breakthrough: Stem cell therapy cures Covid-19 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - July 27th, 2020
- UAE hails success of first bone marrow transplant - The National - July 27th, 2020
- Drug target for aggressive breast cancer found by team of UK and US scientists - iNews - July 27th, 2020
- Rethinking the Science of Skin - The New Yorker - July 27th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim acquires GST to strengthen its stem cell capabilities in Animal Health - Business Wire - July 27th, 2020
- Why I Walk To End Alzheimer's - TAPinto.net - July 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Status by Upcoming Trends 2020 Growth Drivers | Competitive Strategy, Regional Outlook with SWOT Analysis till 2024 - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- Sobi will file for a re-examination of emapalumab in Europe following negative opinion by CHMP | Antibodies | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - July 24th, 2020
- The Long Game of Coronavirus Research - The New Yorker - July 23rd, 2020
- Current research: Exosome Technologies Market Report- Growth with Top Companies Capricor, Codiak and Evox Therapeutics - WhaTech Technology and... - July 23rd, 2020
- Calling Attention to Treatment Considerations in MCL - OncLive - July 22nd, 2020
- Research Roundup: Global methane emissions at all-time high, neuronal pathway prevents relapse, possible drug target to help fight infectious diseases... - July 22nd, 2020
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Forms Scientific Advisory Board for the Planned Development of its Proprietary Treatment for Acute Respiratory Disease... - July 22nd, 2020
- Impact of Outbreak of COVID-19 on Organoids Market : Global Industry Analysis, Forecast 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine with Dr. Mayo ... - July 21st, 2020
- Agenus To Participate in a Panel on Cell Therapy for Infectious Diseases at the B. Riley Virtual Infectious Disease Summit - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Fibroblast Based Cell Therapy Candidate Shown to Reduce Lung Scarring in Aggressive Animal Model - Tyler Morning Telegraph - July 21st, 2020
- Growing Demand for Anti Aging Medicine Market to Significantly Increase Revenues Through 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Regenerative Medicine Market 2020: Global Industry Size, Growth, Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, SWOT Analysis by Top Key... - July 21st, 2020
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Analysis and Forecast 2020: By Key players Curasan, Inc., Carmell Therapeutics Corporation, Anika... - July 21st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% from 2019 to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market is Expected to Reach $30.1 billion by 2025 | Key Players are Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), Danaher (US), Becton, Dickinson and... - July 20th, 2020
- Insights on the Cell Culture Media Market to 2019 to 2029 Persistence Market Research - Cole of Duty - July 20th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market 2020 to 2026 Analysis and Forecast by Type, Application and Top Manufactures - 3rd Watch News - July 20th, 2020
- Cell Separation Market Demand Status with Trends Analysis 2020 | Global Industry Size, Share, Explosive Factors of Key Players, Future Opportunities... - July 20th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Appoints David Main as President and Chief Executive Officer to Advance the Company's Novel Gene-Edited, iPSC-Derived Immune Cell... - July 20th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market 2020 with Top Countries Data, Global Industry Forecasts Analysis, Top Company Profiles, Competitive Landscape and Key Regions... - July 20th, 2020
- Cell Culture Media Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - July 19th, 2020
- Adipose Stem Cell Regenerative Medicine in 21st Century ... - July 19th, 2020
- 3D Cell Culture Market 2020 | Remarkable Growth Factors with Industry Size & Share, New Innovations of Leading Players & Forecast till 2024 -... - July 19th, 2020