LONDON (Reuters)Scientists have successfully used reprogrammed stem cells to restore functioning brain cells in monkeys, raising hopes the technique could be used in future to help patients with Parkinsons disease.
Since Parkinsons is caused by a lack of dopamine made by brain cells, researchers have long hoped to use stem cells to restore normal production of the neurotransmitter chemical.
Now, for the first time, Japanese researchers have shown that human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) can be administered safely and effectively to treat primates with symptoms of the debilitating disease.
So-called iPS cells are made by removing mature cells from an individualoften from the skinand reprogramming them to behave like embryonic stem cells. They can then be coaxed into dopamine-producing brain cells.
The scientists from Kyoto University, a world-leader in iPS technology, said their experiment indicated that this approach could potentially be used for the clinical treatment of human patients with Parkinsons.
In addition to boosting dopamine production, the tests showed improved movement in affected monkeys and no tumors in their brains for at least two years.
The human iPS cells used in the experiment worked whether they came from healthy individuals or Parkinsons disease patients, the Japanese team reported in the journal Nature on Wednesday.
This is extremely promising research demonstrating that a safe and highly effective cell therapy for Parkinsons can be produced in the lab, said Tilo Kunath of the MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University of Edinburgh, who was not involved in the research.
The next step will be to test the treatment in a first-in-human clinical trial, which Jun Takahashi of Kyoto University told Reuters he hoped to start by the end of 2018.
Any widespread use of the new therapy is still many years away, but the research has significantly reduced previous uncertainties about iPS-derived cell grafts.
The fact that this research uses iPS cells rather human embryonic stem cells means the treatment would be acceptable in countries such as Ireland and much of Latin America, where embryonic cells are banned.
Excitement about the promise of stem cells has led to hundreds of medical centers springing up around the world claiming to be able to repair damaged tissue in conditions such as multiple sclerosis and Parkinsons.
While some treatments for cancer and skin grafts have been approved by regulators, many other potential therapies are only in early-stage development, prompting a warning last month by health experts about the dangers of stem-cell tourism.
- Global Progenitor Cell-Based Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2026 - Herald Correspondent - November 11th, 2019
- Business Analytics of Regenerative Medicine Market to See Excellent Growth by 2026 |Popular Keysights: Organogenesis Inc., Vericel Corporation, Osiris... - November 11th, 2019
- Analysis of Regenerative Medicine Market 2019-2024: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Price, Revenue, Business Strategy, Production Technology Forecast to... - November 11th, 2019
- Sangamo Announces Gene Therapy and Ex Vivo Gene-Edited Cell Therapy Data Presentations at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Yahoo... - November 10th, 2019
- Beyond the genome: RNA control of stem cells - Science Magazine - November 8th, 2019
- The final frontier? Studying stem cells on the International Space Station - Scope - November 8th, 2019
- Space travel affects heart cells, but only temporarily - BBC Focus Magazine - November 8th, 2019
- Super-grafts That Could Treat Diabetes - Technology Networks - November 8th, 2019
- Sangamo Therapeutics (SGMO) Announces Gene Therapy and Ex Vivo Gene-Edited Cell Therapy Data Presentations at ASH - StreetInsider.com - November 8th, 2019
- Doheny and UCLA Stein Eye Institutes Welcome Kaustabh Ghosh, PhD, to the Scientific and Clinical Research Faculty - P&T Community - November 3rd, 2019
- Neural Stem Cell Transplantation Crawls Toward the Clinic - The Scientist - October 31st, 2019
- Exosome Procedures Now Being Included With the R3 Stem Cell Regenerative Aesthetics Training Course - Yahoo Finance - October 31st, 2019
- New NCCN Guidelines Debut to Manage Complications and Improve Readiness for Stem Cell Transplant Recipients - P&T Community - October 31st, 2019
- Briggs undergrad researcher wins award at international conference - MSUToday - October 31st, 2019
- Delivering the promise of regenerative medicine - PMLiVE - October 31st, 2019
- Further Debate on T3 + T4 Combination Therapy at ATA Meeting - Medscape - October 31st, 2019
- Cesca Therapeutics To Change Name And Ticker Symbol To Reflect New Strategic Focus - P&T Community - October 31st, 2019
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Size by Type, Product, Application & Market Opportunities 2023 - Guru Online News - October 31st, 2019
- AgeX Therapeutics and Juvenescence Publish Paper on Engineering Strategies for Universal Cells and Provide in Vivo Observation on Immunotolerance... - October 31st, 2019
- Washington People: Benjamin D. Humphreys | The Source - Washington University Record - October 31st, 2019
- Ranking the Top 10 Biotech Clusters in Europe - BioSpace - October 31st, 2019
- Second Fetal Surgeon Joins The Chicago Institute for Fetal Health - Newswise - October 31st, 2019
- Vertex Reports Third-Quarter 2019 Financial Results - Business Wire - October 31st, 2019
- Meet University of Arizona Arthritis Center researchers - Jewish Post - October 31st, 2019
- Repairing the brain through stem cell therapy - Monash Lens - October 26th, 2019
- Richard Young, Ph.D., Founder of CAMP4 Therapeutics, Elected to National Academy of Medicine - Business Wire - October 26th, 2019
- Weekly pick of Neuroscience news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - October 26th, 2019
- Cesca Therapeutics Forms Joint Venture with Healthbanks Biotech (USA) to Provide Immune Cell Banking and Cell Processing Services - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2019
- Advancing patient care through innovative orthopaedics - SciTech Europa - October 26th, 2019
- Phenotypic Screening Advances in Technologies and Techniques - Technology Networks - October 26th, 2019
- Worlds first cell atlas of developing liver created by Cambridge scientists - Cambridge Independent - October 26th, 2019
- Cesca Therapeutics Forms Joint Venture with Healthbanks Biotech (USA) to Provide Immune Cell Banking and Cell Processing Services - BioSpace - October 22nd, 2019
- Engineered cell-based therapy as a new treatment strategy for type 1 diabetes - Medical News Bulletin - October 22nd, 2019
- WindMIL Therapeutics and University of California, Irvine Announce Collaboration to Collect Bone Marrow from Patients with Gliomas to Develop Marrow... - October 15th, 2019
- Cell therapy startup raises $16 million to fund its quest for the Holy Grail in regenerative medicine - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2019
- Some cases of SIDS may have this genetic cause - Futurity: Research News - October 15th, 2019
- More Studies Needed to Assess Effects of Cord Blood Transplants in CP, Review Finds - Cerebral Palsy News Today - October 15th, 2019
- Roche vice-chair: Let's repair the damage that short-term profit drive has done to the planet - Endpoints News - October 15th, 2019
- Gene Expression Market to Reach USD 11.37 Billion by 2026 | Reports and Data - P&T Community - October 15th, 2019
- Qrons Granted Exclusive World-Wide License by Dartmouth College for Intellectual Property Related to 3D Printable Materials in Human and Animal Health... - October 15th, 2019
- Nobel Prizes in Cell Biology Over the Years - Technology Networks - October 13th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ElliotLakeToday.com - October 11th, 2019
- Fred Hutch scientist on how gold nanoparticles could bring CRISPR to the developing world - GeekWire - October 11th, 2019
- Recognizing the LGBTQ+ community at Stanford: "We should be a beacon" - Scope - October 11th, 2019
- Sequencing Method that Maps Breast Cell Differentiation Provides Insight to Cancer Development - Clinical OMICs News - October 11th, 2019
- The 2019 Nobel Prize in Medicine awarded for research in cellular responses to oxygen - World Socialist Web Site - October 11th, 2019
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2017 2025 - Online News Guru - October 11th, 2019
- Faculty Highlights: Recent Grants and Awards | Now - Drexel Now - October 11th, 2019
- The Aesthetic Medicine Congress to bring trends in plastic surgery to Dubrovnik - The Dubrovnik Times - October 11th, 2019
- Researchers to educate the public with Stem Cell Awareness Day - News 12 Bronx - October 9th, 2019
- To Find Therapies for COPD, Other Disorders, Researcher Awarded $7.5M - COPD News Today - October 9th, 2019
- Drug candidate identified to starve and suffocate breast cancer stem cells - Health Europa - October 9th, 2019
- Spotlight interview: 15 minutes on medical and scientific writing - PMLiVE - October 9th, 2019
- Novel Cell Sorting and Separation Markets, 2030 - P&T Community - October 9th, 2019
- AVROBIO Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Trial of Gene Therapy for Cystinosis - BioSpace - October 9th, 2019
- Exosome Training Now Being Offered at the R3 Stem Cell Training Course - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2019
- How growing mini human hearts is advancing precision medicine, drug discovery - The Sociable - September 30th, 2019
- Synthetic networks with tunable responsiveness, biodegradation, and molecular recognition for precision medicine applications - Science Advances - September 30th, 2019
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cells Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2018 2028 - Commerce Gazette - September 24th, 2019
- Gene Therapy For Beta-Thalassemia: Updated Perspectives | TACG - Dove Medical Press - September 24th, 2019
- Brain tumors form synapses with healthy neurons, Stanford-led study finds - Stanford Medical Center Report - September 24th, 2019
- Suntanner, Heal Thyself: Exosome Therapy May Enable Better Repair of Sun, Age-Damaged Skin - NC State News - September 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2019-2027 - Commerce Gazette - September 24th, 2019
- Global Bio-Banks Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2017-2026) By Type, Product,Application,Analysis,and Region. - OnYourDesks - September 24th, 2019
- Translational Regenerative Medicine Market : 2024 Shares, Trend and Growth - Bee Tribune - September 24th, 2019
- Greek Woman's Claim to Be Scientist Refuted by NASA - The National Herald - September 24th, 2019
- Next generation sequencing for cancer precision medicine - Drug Target Review - September 24th, 2019
- Engineered killer T cells could provide long-lasting immunity against cancer - Mirage News - September 24th, 2019
- Anti-Aging Medicine Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to2018 2026 - Analytics News - September 24th, 2019
- New Progress in Stem-Cell-Free Regenerative Medicine - May 26th, 2019
- The Stem Cell Theory of Cancer | Ludwig Center | Stanford ... - May 26th, 2019
- 10 talks on the future of stem cell medicine | TED Blog - March 23rd, 2019
- Ansary Stem Cell Institute | Department of Medicine - March 10th, 2019
- PRP vs. Stem Cell Therapy in Medicine | NSI Stem Cell - March 9th, 2019
- Top Stem Cell Conferences | Stem Cell Research 2019 ... - March 8th, 2019
- Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant | Weill Cornell Medicine - March 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell | Regenerative medicine | 2019 | Conference ... - January 29th, 2019
- Original Medicine Wellness Center - Functional Medicine ... - January 28th, 2019
- Stem Cell Medicine Licenses Exosome Technology for ... - January 11th, 2019
- Stem Cell Medicine | Murdoch Children's Research Institute - November 30th, 2018