If you have recurring or chronic joint pain, you may think joint replacement surgery is your only option for relief. However, you may want to explore several less invasive options first to helpmaintain mobility as you age.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Withmillions of baby boomers in the United States wanting to stay active into their 60s, 70s and beyond, much recent research has focused on joint health and replacement technology.
Experiencingjoint pain doesnt automatically mean that you should have a joint replacement. Joint replacement surgery is generally performed for late stages of degenerative arthritis (also called osteoarthritis), after other options have failed. Most causes for hip pain can be treated with far less invasive options.
So howdo you know your arthritis or other joint damage needs attention? In general, you should see a doctor if your joint pain limits your activities for more than three days without improvement, or you have recurring episodes of the same pain over several weeks or months.
Read on to find out where you fall on the continuum of joint care.
You can damage a joint suddenly. Orjoint damage may come on gradually, bothering you periodically at first and becoming more painful over time.
The causesofjoint pain may include:
Most joint causes for joint pain never require surgery. However, even in the case of osteoarthritis, surgery is not the first choice. Whatever the cause, youll want to preserve your joints for as long as you can.
This is particularly true if you are a younger, active person.
Joint replacement has gotten much safer and faster to recover from. You may leavethe hospital just a couple of days after surgery, but these are serious operations that are not to be undertaken lightly, says orthopedic surgeonAnthony Miniaci, MD.
Joint replacementparts last longer than they used to. But they are mechanical and subject to loosening, stiffness, complications and infection. These problems may lead to follow-up surgeries down the road.
Most people now live into their 80s. Many of the next generation will live to be older than 100, Dr. Miniaci says. If someone in their 50s is very active and has knee or hip joint replacement, they may need one or two more operations in their lifetime, so we try to avoid it until later if possible.
The goal of preservation is to prevent injury, reduce inflammation and preserve cartilage, Dr. Miniaci says. These factors figure in when your physician weighs your options:
Some joint preservation procedures are newer and considered experimental, Dr. Miniaci says. Physicians have used other preservation techniques for decades. Options, he says, include:
If youve unsuccessfully attempted conservative treatment or if damage to the cartilage or bone is beyond repair, remember that joint replacement is proven to be safe and highly effective in the right patient. This is still often is your best option.
This surgery can dramatically relieve your pain and improve your joints function. However, there are always potential risks and complications with surgery.
Talk with your doctor about the best options and long-term strategies for you. Preserving your joints and your activities and lifestyle is the basis for the partnership that is best for you.
- The global wound care market is growing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period20182024 - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Saving rhinos with stem cells; $5.5 billion stem cell ballot measure readied - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ThoroldNews.com - October 12th, 2019
- Microbiome research needs a gut check - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - GuelphToday - October 11th, 2019
- Biohack Your Way To Beauty And Health Using Your DNA And Stem Cells At These Wellness Retreats Around The World - Singapore Tatler - October 11th, 2019
- I donated my embryos years ago. Now I'm friends with the mom who received them - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 11th, 2019
- Man with at least 17 children sues fertility clinic for being 'incredibly irresponsible' with his sperm - Genetic Literacy Project - October 11th, 2019
- Senior, caregivers conference and expo coming Oct. 11 - The Daily Courier - October 9th, 2019
- Stem cell research is a good thing | Opinion - Chart - October 6th, 2019
- Regenerative medicine today: Are diabetes and vascular disease treatments ready for the clinic? - Science Magazine - October 5th, 2019
- Dr Naveen Pemmaraju Outlines the Symptoms of Myelofibrosis - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - October 5th, 2019
- Businesses Sponsor Another Season Of Movies In The Park Square - Osprey Observer - October 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Manufacturing | Research Report Overview By Top Key Players, Opportunities, Key Drivers, Application and Regional Outlook To 2027 -... - October 5th, 2019
- Sigilon Therapeutics approaches the clinic - Vantage - September 20th, 2019
- Research report explores the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Zebvo - September 20th, 2019
- 'It feels amazing,' says Alabama man now first in the state to be free of sickle cell after gene therapy - Face2Face Africa - September 20th, 2019
- Michael Schumacher Is 'Conscious', Released From Paris Hospital After Experimental Treatment - International Business Times - September 20th, 2019
- Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager - September 20th, 2019
- Living With a Secondary Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Strategy That May Protect Against Hair-Loss During Cancer Treatments - Good News Network - September 20th, 2019
- Clinical trial of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal ... - September 17th, 2019
- Autologous stem cell transplant - Type - Mayo Clinic - June 1st, 2019
- Stem cell therapy for hip | Mayo Clinic Connect - May 11th, 2019
- Next Generation Stem Cell - Professional medical clinic - April 7th, 2019
- N.Y. Attorney General Sues Manhattan Stem Cell Clinic ... - April 6th, 2019
- ThriveMD | Colorado's Experts in Stem Cells & Regenerative ... - March 29th, 2019
- Top Rated Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Denver & Vail ... - March 16th, 2019
- South Florida Stem Cell Center | Regenerative Therapy Clinic - March 16th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - March 7th, 2019
- COPD and stem cell treatment | Mayo Clinic Connect - March 7th, 2019
- GARM Stem Cell Clinic | Roatan - March 2nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinic Treatment Jupiter FL Alternative ... - March 1st, 2019
- Is This Stem-Cell Clinic Really Making Cancer Vaccines ... - February 12th, 2019
- Stem cells treatment clinic - Effective stem cell treatment - February 1st, 2019
- Vitality Healthcare - Home - January 28th, 2019
- About Us - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Brandon Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Illinois Stem Cell Clinic - Illinois Stem Cell Clinic ... - October 5th, 2018
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Clinic - September 19th, 2018
- FDA Response - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - June 29th, 2018
- World Stem Cell Clinic - For a better quality of life | WSCC - June 18th, 2018
- Stem Cell Clinic Palmetto - Stem Cell Therapy Greenwood ... - June 18th, 2018
- Top Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Vail & Denver, Colorado ... - September 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - American Regenerative Clinic, Stem ... - September 19th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - Lexology (registration) - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA steps up enforcement against unscrupulous stem cell firms - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - JD Supra (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Around the world - Bend Bulletin - August 29th, 2017
- Daily on Healthcare: Lack of bare counties doesn't solve Obamacare's problems - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- How a UCSF study could change the lives of babies in the womb and maybe help California's stem cell program in ... - San Francisco Business Times - August 25th, 2017
- Stem Cell Study for Dogs - MyWabashValley - August 23rd, 2017
- Bio-inspired Materials Give Boost to Regenerative Medicine - Bioscience Technology - August 22nd, 2017
- Fraud Alert! Unproven Stem Cell Use Prompts International Call to Action - American Council on Science and Health - August 20th, 2017
- Friends come together for benefit concert for Joni Eickhoff - Grand Island Independent - August 16th, 2017
- 'Unexpected fountain of youth' found in cardiac stem cells, researcher says - FOX31 Denver - August 16th, 2017
- New Mayo Clinic facility aims to increase lungs available for transplant - First Coast News - August 10th, 2017
- Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with 'desperate' need for South Asians - Surrey Now-Leader - August 2nd, 2017
- Tampa Florida Stem Cell Clinic - Don't Operate - Regenerate - July 12th, 2017
- Dorothy Jean Kercheval Garrigan - The Messenger (subscription) - July 12th, 2017
- Private clinics are peddling untested stem cell treatments it's unethical and dangerous - Yahoo News UK - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' unproven stem cell treatment is unsafe and unethical ... - Business Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Stem Cells Play a Role in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Relapse - Technology Networks - June 30th, 2017
- NBA Star John Salley Partners with Stem Cell Centers of Excellence ... - Market Exclusive - June 30th, 2017
- Making Babies, No Sex Necessary - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2017
- Stem Cell Stem Cell Treatments by Clinic 42 - June 25th, 2017
- Powerful boost for bad skin days - Inquirer.net - June 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) Shares Just ... - The Oracle Dispatch - June 21st, 2017
- GE and the Mayo Clinic back software to bring cancer-fighting gene ... - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2017
- Two Notable Announcements in a Week for US Stem Cell Inc ... - Street Register - June 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy for Glaucoma - Are We There Yet? - Newswise (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- Dr. Ruben A. Mesa of Arizona's Mayo Clinic named new director of ... - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - June 14th, 2017
- Looking Back: June 9, 2017 - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - June 9th, 2017
- Asymmetrex Director Comments on Positive Attributes of Private ... - PR Web (press release) - June 9th, 2017
- United Veterinary Center Norwalk Offers Stem Cell Therapy to Treat ... - MilTech - June 6th, 2017
- SpaceX to launch heart, bone health experiments to space station - CU Boulder Today - June 2nd, 2017
- Sickle cell cure is real, as this Kansas patient proves - Kansas City Star - May 30th, 2017
- Stem cell agency's response to questions about its performance ... - Capitol Weekly - May 24th, 2017
- US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) HEFFX Highlights - Live Trading News - May 24th, 2017