Stem cell treatments usually involve sucking out some of a patients fat tissue, isolating the stem cells within, and reinjecting them into the patients body.
On the first Saturday of March, Kristin Comella put on a white doctors coat and took the stage at the fourth annual conference for the Academy of Regenerative Practices. The founder and president of the academy, Comella also oversees an expanding empire of stem cell clinics that promise patients cures for most anything that ails them. None of those treatmentsfor everything from diabetes and asthma to multiple sclerosis and arthritishave been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration.
The procedurewhich costs a few thousand dollarsis always pretty much the same, regardless of its purported target. It involves sucking out some of a patients fat tissue with a liposuction needle, isolating the stem cells within, and reinjecting them into the patients body. The simplicity of the procedure is why people like Comella say its insane for the FDA to try to regulate stem cells.
So it was surprising when she announced onstage that her firm, US Stem Cell, had recently begun developing a radically new kind of treatmentthis time, for cancer.
Your stem cells are antigen-presenting cells, Cormella told the audience, in a Facebook live video the company posted of the event. We can make them express a protein from your specific cancer. So, its an individualized cancer vaccine, if you will. US Stem Cell, a publicly traded firm that sells stem cell separation kits and operates one of the largest networks of clinics in the country, achieved this with something called an electroporation protocol, she said.
Electroporation is essentially zapping cells with electricitya microbiology technique used to get drugs, proteins, or, most commonly, DNA into cells. When I hear electroporation, thats equal to genetic modification, says Paul Knoepfler, a stem cell researcher at UC Davis. Thats what we do when we want cells to permanently express a protein.
Knoepfler writes a blog about stem cells, and thats where he surfaced the video on May 9, after an acquaintance tipped him off. Hes sort of a watchdog for the industry. Since 2011, hes tracked the proliferation of unregulated stem cell clinics and followed US Stem Cells cavalier approach to experimenting on its patients, sometimes to disastrous effect. In 2015, one of its clinics injected liposuction-derived stem cells directly into the eyeballs of three elderly women suffering from age-related macular degeneration. All three went blind, two sued, and US Stem Cell settled out of court.
But this, he says, might be the most dangerous thing hes seen yet. If my assumption is correct that theyre introducing DNA, this is up near the top of the riskiest things Ive ever heard a stem cell clinic doing, he says. The big worry here is giving cancer patients another cancer, or a dangerous immune response."
US Stem Cell did not respond to WIREDs questions about the procedure, so its still unclear if it does indeed involve genetic modification and whether any patients have actually been treated with it. In the video Comella only described it as one of the companys current protocols.
What we do know is that the approach sounds similar to a powerful new class of anti-cancer medicines known as CAR-T therapies. They involve extracting a patients immune cells and genetically rewiring them to more effectively recognize and attack cancerous cells in the body. The FDA approved the first CAR-T, Kymriah, in late 2017 after scrutinizing years of data from animal studies and human clinical trials. Novartis claims it spent $1 billion to get the treatment to market.
Compare that with the $6,664 US Stem Cell reported having spent last year on research and development. The companyformerly named Biohearthas nine clinical trials listed on the national registry ClinicalTrials.gov, none of which are actively recruiting and none of which are for cancer treatments. Though listed as the lead investigator on some of the trials, Comella isnt a medical doctor. She received a three-year online PhD in stem cell biology from the Panama College of Cell Sciencea non-accredited virtual university founded by stem cell evangelist Walter Drake, according to reporting by the LA Times. And shes not afraid to spar with the federal government.
Last August the FDA sent a warning letter to US Stem Cell and to Comella, specifically, for significant deviations from good practices. And after Comella responded with a letter of her own, denying FDA has any jurisdiction to regulate her companys activities, the agency followed up with a lawsuit.
On May 9, the FDA along with the Department of Justice filed a complaint seeking a permanent injunction against US Stem Cell and Comella, accusing them of endangering patient safety and failing to meet manufacturing standards for cell therapies. The federal officials also filed a similar lawsuit against another clinicCalifornia Stem Cell Treatment Centerwhich was involved in giving patients an experimental cancer treatment made from a mix of stem cells and a smallpox vaccine inappropriately acquired from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stockpile under the auspices of research. When officials found out they were being administered to patients, US marshals raided the clinic and seized the remaining vials.
Both California Stem Cell Treatment Center and US Stem Cell said in public statements they plan to fight the injunctions, the most aggressive volley yet in the conflict surrounding direct-to-consumer stem cell treatments. At the heart of the clash is the phrase minimally manipulated, which the FDA uses to exempt therapies like bone marrow transplants. Both clinics will likely argue in court that their cell-based treatments fit that description. But Comellas recent statements at the conference could undermine this claim. Electroporation is a tool designed explicitly for cellular manipulation, and theres nothing minimal about it.
See the original post here:
Is This Stem-Cell Clinic Really Making Cancer Vaccines ...
- Brooks Koepka slips on wet concrete, withdraws from CJ Cup - Golfweek - October 21st, 2019
- New research center to explore muscle health and disease - Newswise - October 18th, 2019
- Opinion: Neighborhood Health Clinic contributes to the overall wellbeing of Naples - Naples Daily News - October 18th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Appoints Jan Pinkas as Senior Vice President, Head of Translational Sciences and Announces Transition of Chief Scientific Officer... - October 18th, 2019
- The global wound care market is growing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period20182024 - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Saving rhinos with stem cells; $5.5 billion stem cell ballot measure readied - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - ThoroldNews.com - October 12th, 2019
- Microbiome research needs a gut check - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Expert recommends 'path of cautious optimism' about the future of stem cell treatment - GuelphToday - October 11th, 2019
- Biohack Your Way To Beauty And Health Using Your DNA And Stem Cells At These Wellness Retreats Around The World - Singapore Tatler - October 11th, 2019
- I donated my embryos years ago. Now I'm friends with the mom who received them - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 11th, 2019
- Man with at least 17 children sues fertility clinic for being 'incredibly irresponsible' with his sperm - Genetic Literacy Project - October 11th, 2019
- Senior, caregivers conference and expo coming Oct. 11 - The Daily Courier - October 9th, 2019
- Stem cell research is a good thing | Opinion - Chart - October 6th, 2019
- Regenerative medicine today: Are diabetes and vascular disease treatments ready for the clinic? - Science Magazine - October 5th, 2019
- Dr Naveen Pemmaraju Outlines the Symptoms of Myelofibrosis - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - October 5th, 2019
- Businesses Sponsor Another Season Of Movies In The Park Square - Osprey Observer - October 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Manufacturing | Research Report Overview By Top Key Players, Opportunities, Key Drivers, Application and Regional Outlook To 2027 -... - October 5th, 2019
- Sigilon Therapeutics approaches the clinic - Vantage - September 20th, 2019
- Research report explores the Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Zebvo - September 20th, 2019
- 'It feels amazing,' says Alabama man now first in the state to be free of sickle cell after gene therapy - Face2Face Africa - September 20th, 2019
- Michael Schumacher Is 'Conscious', Released From Paris Hospital After Experimental Treatment - International Business Times - September 20th, 2019
- Fighting for a cure: Tennis benefit to fund ALS research - Auburn Villager - September 20th, 2019
- Living With a Secondary Blood Cancer - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Strategy That May Protect Against Hair-Loss During Cancer Treatments - Good News Network - September 20th, 2019
- Clinical trial of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal ... - September 17th, 2019
- Autologous stem cell transplant - Type - Mayo Clinic - June 1st, 2019
- Stem cell therapy for hip | Mayo Clinic Connect - May 11th, 2019
- Next Generation Stem Cell - Professional medical clinic - April 7th, 2019
- N.Y. Attorney General Sues Manhattan Stem Cell Clinic ... - April 6th, 2019
- ThriveMD | Colorado's Experts in Stem Cells & Regenerative ... - March 29th, 2019
- Top Rated Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Denver & Vail ... - March 16th, 2019
- South Florida Stem Cell Center | Regenerative Therapy Clinic - March 16th, 2019
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - March 7th, 2019
- COPD and stem cell treatment | Mayo Clinic Connect - March 7th, 2019
- GARM Stem Cell Clinic | Roatan - March 2nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Clinic Treatment Jupiter FL Alternative ... - March 1st, 2019
- Stem cells treatment clinic - Effective stem cell treatment - February 1st, 2019
- Vitality Healthcare - Home - January 28th, 2019
- About Us - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Brandon Stem Cell Clinic - December 19th, 2018
- Illinois Stem Cell Clinic - Illinois Stem Cell Clinic ... - October 5th, 2018
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Clinic - September 19th, 2018
- FDA Response - U.S. Stem Cell Clinic - June 29th, 2018
- World Stem Cell Clinic - For a better quality of life | WSCC - June 18th, 2018
- Stem Cell Clinic Palmetto - Stem Cell Therapy Greenwood ... - June 18th, 2018
- Top Stem Cell Therapy Clinic in Vail & Denver, Colorado ... - September 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy - American Regenerative Clinic, Stem ... - September 19th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - Lexology (registration) - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA steps up enforcement against unscrupulous stem cell firms - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 3rd, 2017
- FDA Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Approval of Stem Cell Therapies Amidst Enforcement Actions Against ... - JD Supra (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Around the world - Bend Bulletin - August 29th, 2017
- Daily on Healthcare: Lack of bare counties doesn't solve Obamacare's problems - Washington Examiner - August 29th, 2017
- How a UCSF study could change the lives of babies in the womb and maybe help California's stem cell program in ... - San Francisco Business Times - August 25th, 2017
- Stem Cell Study for Dogs - MyWabashValley - August 23rd, 2017
- Joint Preservation vs. Replacement: What's Your Best Option? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - August 23rd, 2017
- Bio-inspired Materials Give Boost to Regenerative Medicine - Bioscience Technology - August 22nd, 2017
- Fraud Alert! Unproven Stem Cell Use Prompts International Call to Action - American Council on Science and Health - August 20th, 2017
- Friends come together for benefit concert for Joni Eickhoff - Grand Island Independent - August 16th, 2017
- 'Unexpected fountain of youth' found in cardiac stem cells, researcher says - FOX31 Denver - August 16th, 2017
- New Mayo Clinic facility aims to increase lungs available for transplant - First Coast News - August 10th, 2017
- Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with 'desperate' need for South Asians - Surrey Now-Leader - August 2nd, 2017
- Tampa Florida Stem Cell Clinic - Don't Operate - Regenerate - July 12th, 2017
- Dorothy Jean Kercheval Garrigan - The Messenger (subscription) - July 12th, 2017
- Private clinics are peddling untested stem cell treatments it's unethical and dangerous - Yahoo News UK - July 9th, 2017
- Private clinics' unproven stem cell treatment is unsafe and unethical ... - Business Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Stem Cells Play a Role in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Relapse - Technology Networks - June 30th, 2017
- NBA Star John Salley Partners with Stem Cell Centers of Excellence ... - Market Exclusive - June 30th, 2017
- Making Babies, No Sex Necessary - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2017
- Stem Cell Stem Cell Treatments by Clinic 42 - June 25th, 2017
- Powerful boost for bad skin days - Inquirer.net - June 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why US Stem Cell Inc (OTCMKTS:USRM) Shares Just ... - The Oracle Dispatch - June 21st, 2017
- GE and the Mayo Clinic back software to bring cancer-fighting gene ... - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2017
- Two Notable Announcements in a Week for US Stem Cell Inc ... - Street Register - June 20th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy for Glaucoma - Are We There Yet? - Newswise (press release) - June 17th, 2017
- Dr. Ruben A. Mesa of Arizona's Mayo Clinic named new director of ... - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - June 14th, 2017
- Looking Back: June 9, 2017 - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - June 9th, 2017
- Asymmetrex Director Comments on Positive Attributes of Private ... - PR Web (press release) - June 9th, 2017
- United Veterinary Center Norwalk Offers Stem Cell Therapy to Treat ... - MilTech - June 6th, 2017