by DAVID JENSEN posted 06.27.2017
Californias 12-year-old stem cell research effort is expected to give away tens of millions of dollars in public this week, but its most important matters issues that deal with its survival and future likely will be discussed behind closed doors at a meeting Thursday of its governing board.
On the table is the leadership of the $3 billion organization, which is scheduled to run out of cash in just three years, which amounts to a mere tick of the clock in the world of biomedical research. Beginning next week the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM), as the agency is formally known, will be minus its chief executive officer and its longtime counselor, who even predates the organizations actual creation in 2004.
CIRM has a checkered record in recruiting new presidents for a variety of reasons (seehere,hereandhere).
CIRM directors are scheduled to meet Thursday at the San Francisco Marriott hotel in Burlingame, Ca., to confirm the appointment of Maria Millan, CIRMs vice president of therapeutics, as interim president of the agency. She will assume the duties of Randy Mills, who is leaving CIRM next week to head the National Marrow Donor Progam.
Mills, who was paid $573,00 last year, also made it clear to the California Stem Cell Report in May that Millan is the appropriate person to take over the agency on a permanent basis after he leaves.
However, the decision is up to the 29-member board, which has scheduled an executive session Thursday to discuss the interim replacement for Mills. Hejoined the agency only three years ago but has left an impressive mark.
CIRM directors have also scheduled a July 17 meeting of their presidential search subcommittee to deal with the agencys leadership during what could be the last years of its life.
CIRM has a checkered record in recruiting new presidents for a variety of reasons (seehere,hereandhere). Some candidates have rejected offers. Other search efforts have been excessively prolonged.
The agency hopes to add 38 more trials over the next three years. But there are no guarantees that any will be successful.
Finding a new president from outside CIRM poses difficulties that would not have been in place, for example, five years ago. They include the tenuous future of CIRM along with the time needed for a normal executive search, plus the learning curve for a new CEO.
While CIRM is a small enterprise in some ways (less than 50 employees), it is an unusual mix of government, biotech business and academia, unlike any other state agency. The combination has raised hurdles in the past.
The clock is running out fast at the agency. Any alterations in the plan put in place by Mills, Millan and company could slow its efforts to fulfill voter expectations that the agency would actually generate a widely available therapy. CIRM is helping to finance 27 current clinical trials, which are the last stages in research prior to a product reaching the market. The agency hopes to add 38 more trials over the next three years. But there are no guarantees that any will be successful.
Millan can step in and pick up the job relatively seamlessly. Bringing in a CEO from outside could well take six months or more, including relocation. But serving as the head of an organization that could be out of business in three years may not be appealing to many and could prolong recruitment.
Looming in the background is a gossamer plan for another ballot initiative to fund CIRM beyond 2020.
If Millan is bypassed by the board, she may well leave the agency, triggering a cascade of departures as other CIRM employees also look to their own professional futures. An employee drain would hamper the agencys drive to come up with a commercial therapy.
James Harrison, the longtime counsel to the agency, is also leaving at the end of this week, returning to other pursuits at his private practice. Harrison has been a cornerstone of CIRM and has influence well beyond the not-so-simple legal matters involving the agency. He was also one of the authors of the 10,000-word ballot initiative that created the agency in 2004.
Scott Tocher, a longtime veteran of the agency, will replace Harrison. An announcement of the appointment is expected at the Thursday meeting.
Looming in the background is a gossamer plan for another ballot initiative to fund CIRM beyond 2020. Bob Klein, a Palo Alto real estate investment banker who led the campaign that created CIRM, is talking about a $5 billion bond measure on the ballot as early as November of next year. Some political observers have predicted a less-than-warm-reception for such a proposal, given that the agency has yet to measure up to its 2004 campaign promises.
Another, rival proposal is being mentioned that would, in fact, move stem cell funding away from the agency.
One stem cell scientist, Paul Knoepfler of UC Davis, wrote last week about the agencys presidential search.
Commenting on his blog, Knoepfler said that CIRM directors should pick a fantastic person to replace Mills. Knoepfler said the new president should have strong leadership skills, a big picture clinical vision and impeccable stem cell credentials, criteria that one could argue have not been met by most CIRM CEOs.
In the past, debate about presidential candidates centered on whether they should be stem cell stars or a leader who can execute an aggressive program that is already approved and in place. Given the current CIRM challenges, other criteria, such as speed and continuity, are also high.
The journal Nature this year said that the agency is in its last stage. CIRM directors may well have that admonition on their minds as they consider fresh leadership for the program. Sphere: Related Content
Support for Capitol Weekly is Provided by:
View original post here:
Stem cell agency faces leadership challenge - Capitol Weekly
- Harvard geneticist George Church's goal: to protect humans from viruses, genetic diseases, and aging - 60 Minutes - CBS News - December 8th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2019-2025 : Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck Group, Abcam plc,... - December 8th, 2019
- Start-up to research on degenerative eye disease - Deccan Herald - December 8th, 2019
- R&D Activities to Fast-track the Growth of the Stem Cell Assay Market Between 2018 2028 - Kentucky Reports - December 8th, 2019
- The Making of a Root - Duke Today - December 5th, 2019
- Engelhardt named 2019 Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors - Iowa Now - December 5th, 2019
- In the Spotlight: 'When you're in a minority group, you're never just a grad student' - Scope - December 5th, 2019
- Rat Model Market revenue to hit $1.8 billion by 2025: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2019
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market 2019 Industry Analysis focusing on Companies Analysis-Advanced Cell Technology, Athersys, California Stem... - December 5th, 2019
- Dosage analysis of the 7q11.23 Williams region identifies BAZ1B as a major human gene patterning the modern human face and underlying... - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2028 - VaporBlash - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Media Market 2019 Global Industry Insights, Innovations, Key Players Analysis, Growth Strategies and Forecast Analysis 2019 & 2026|... - December 5th, 2019
- Adult Stem Cells- Global Healthcare Research and Survey with Key Participants Celyad, Cytori Therapeutics Inc. - Planet InfoWar - December 5th, 2019
- Stem Cell Source Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - VaporBlash - December 5th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Contract Manufacturing Market Research 2019-2030: Source of Stem Cells, Types of Stem Cells, Size of Contract Service... - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem cell therapy shows promise for the first time in spinal cord injury - News-Medical.net - December 3rd, 2019
- Why Are We Still Funding This? The Failure of Embryonic Stem Cell Research - Christianheadlines.com - December 3rd, 2019
- New Stem Cell Research Could Make Cancer Treatments affordable and Effective for Hospitals and Patients - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Why Do We Still Fund Embryonic Stem Cell Research That Exploits Babies and Hasn't Cured Any Patients? - LifeNews.com - December 3rd, 2019
- Fat grafting improves range of motion in limbs damaged by radiation therapy - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2019
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market To Register High Revenue Growthat 7% CAGR Throughout 2018 to 2026 - Kentucky Reports - December 3rd, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market forecasted to surpass the value of ~US$ XX Mn/Bn by 2017 - 2025 - The Market Expedition - December 3rd, 2019
- Researchers show how the ductal system connecting digestive organs is formed - News-Medical.net - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2017 - 2025 - The Market Expedition - December 3rd, 2019
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non Stem Based therapies Market Size SWOT Analysis of Top Key Player Forecasts To 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Banking Storage Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry News Info - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2018 - 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 3rd, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market Advanced technologies & growth opportunities in global Industry by 2018 - 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 3rd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market with Geographic Segmentation, Demand by Regions, Statistical Forecast and Competitive Landscape Research upto... - November 30th, 2019
- How Flight Feathers Evolved: Study of Chickens, Ostriches, Penguins, Ducks and Eagles - SciTechDaily - November 30th, 2019
- Researchers discover a stem cell therapy that can help heal injured heart - ANI News - November 29th, 2019
- Revolutionizing Injury Recovery With Tendon Stem Cells - Technology Networks - November 29th, 2019
- How birds fly: New USC study examines the evolution of flight feathers - USC News - November 29th, 2019
- New Link Discovered Between Cells That Burn Fat and Colon Cancer - Clinical OMICs News - November 29th, 2019
- Systematic analysis and evaluation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market with share, growth rate, Forecasts to 2026 - WindStreetz - November 29th, 2019
- Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Outlook 2019 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and 2025 Forecast... - November 25th, 2019
- New Device Permits a Closer Look at Previously Inaccessible Areas of the Genome - Technology Networks - November 25th, 2019
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid Health Welfare Connected To Stem Cell Regulation Researchers Discover - News Raise - November 22nd, 2019
- Tokyo's Heartseed reaps $26M to test its stem cell injections for heart failure - FierceBiotech - November 22nd, 2019
- Junior Research Fellow for Stem Cell-Based Neural Tissue Engineering Project job with VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY | 187070 - Times Higher... - November 22nd, 2019
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex: Promising Gene Therapy Data for Sickle Cell Disease and Beta Thalassemia - BioSpace - November 22nd, 2019
- Europe Stem Cell Assay Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth in Coming Years | Insights, Trends, Growth, Industry Drivers with Cellular Dynamics... - November 22nd, 2019
- Stem Cell And Regenerative Therapy Market Value Share, Analysis and Segments 2018-2024 - Crypto News Byte - November 22nd, 2019
- The science institutions hiring integrity inspectors to vet their papers - Nature.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market: Key companies Profile, their market Share and other important parameters - Market Research Reporting - November 22nd, 2019
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Application, Specification Analysis, Size and Growth 2019 To 2024 - VaporBlash - November 22nd, 2019
- Stem Cell Media Market 2019| Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2026 | Research Industry US - News Obtain - November 17th, 2019
- International Stem Cell Corporation Announces Financial Results for the Three and Nine-Months ended September 30, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2019
- Quality of Life With Busulfan and Fludarabine Compared With Busulfan and Cyclophosphamide - Hematology Advisor - November 17th, 2019
- Bioethics Coming to Elementary and High Schools? - Discovery Institute - November 17th, 2019
- 'Dr. Death' and 'Bad Batch' Host Laura Beil on the Future of Podcasts - ELLE.com - November 17th, 2019
- Leading Alternative Healing Director of Total Health Institute Reviews and Receives 3rd Fellowship in Stem Cell Therapy - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2019
- NIST researchers use artificial intelligence for quality control of stem cell-derived tissues - National Institutes of Health - November 15th, 2019
- Modeling the early development of a primate embryo - Science Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- BREAKTHROUGH: Her vision was getting worse, then animal research made things clear - Speaking of Research - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Increase Exponentially During 2018 2025 - Downey Magazine - November 15th, 2019
- Stem Cell Transplants Used to Grow Fully Functional Lungs in Mice - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Human Heart Cells Transform in Space; Return to Normal on Earth: Study - The Weather Channel - November 11th, 2019
- Serving those who serve us - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - November 11th, 2019
- Kadimastem to Present Interim Results of Cohort A of Its Phase 1/2a Clinical Trial in ALS at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting, in Tel-Aviv,... - November 11th, 2019
- The Value and Versatility of Clinical Flow Cytometry - Technology Networks - November 11th, 2019
- Global Cell Harvesting Industry Research: Key Companies Profile with Sales, Revenue, Market Share, Price and Competitive Situation Analysis - Inquiry... - November 11th, 2019
- Human heart cells are altered by spaceflight, but return mostly to normal on Earth - Space Daily - November 9th, 2019
- Jennifer OConnell: President Kanye in 2024? Be very afraid America - The Irish Times - November 9th, 2019
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 9th, 2019
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market - Industry Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024 - Real Viewpoint - November 9th, 2019
- Novel Molecule Reduces the Aggressiveness of Pediatric Cancer - Technology Networks - November 7th, 2019
- 2019s Allen Distinguished Investigators will focus on the mysteries of our cells - Yahoo Tech - November 7th, 2019
- At the American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians Live Congress 2019, FDA Safety Panel Says No to the Bad Actors - PRNewswire - November 7th, 2019
- MD Anderson Partners with Takeda to Develop CAR Natural Killer-Cell Therapy - Cancer Network - November 7th, 2019
- First UK patient treated with tissue engineered product for rare eye disease - Hospital Healthcare Europe - November 7th, 2019
- Spaceflight alters heart cells but they quickly recover back on Earth - New Scientist News - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market To Witness Increase In Revenues By 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 7th, 2019
- Researchers Find Link Between Eye Disease And Degeneration Of The Brain - BioSpace - November 7th, 2019
- Physicians' Education Resource to Host Satellite Symposia at Annual American Society of Hematology Meeting and Exposition in Orlando - Business Wire - November 7th, 2019
- Keep Bioethics out of Elementary and High Schools - National Review - November 7th, 2019
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market 2019, Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Virtualnewsusa - November 7th, 2019
- The Bold and the Beautiful Star Don Diamont Supports ALS Research - Soap Hub - November 7th, 2019
- International Conference on Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine - Hoover Sun - November 5th, 2019
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Forecast to 2024 by Types, Application and by Regions - Exchange 99 - November 5th, 2019