The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a historic action today making the first gene therapy available in the United States, ushering in a new approach to the treatment of cancer and other serious and life-threatening diseases.
The FDA approved Kymriah (tisagenlecleucel) for certain pediatric and young adult patients with a form of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
Were entering a new frontier in medical innovation with the ability to reprogram a patients own cells to attack a deadly cancer, said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D. New technologies such as gene and cell therapies hold out the potential to transform medicine and create an inflection point in our ability to treat and even cure many intractable illnesses. At the FDA, were committed to helping expedite the development and review of groundbreaking treatments that have the potential to be life-saving.
Kymriah, a cell-based gene therapy, is approved in the United States for the treatment of patients up to 25 years of age with B-cell precursor ALL that is refractory or in second or later relapse.
Kymriah is a genetically-modified autologous T-cell immunotherapy. Each dose of Kymriah is a customized treatment created using an individual patients own T-cells, a type of white blood cell known as a lymphocyte. The patients T-cells are collected and sent to a manufacturing center where they are genetically modified to include a new gene that contains a specific protein (a chimeric antigen receptor or CAR) that directs the T-cells to target and kill leukemia cells that have a specific antigen (CD19) on the surface. Once the cells are modified, they are infused back into the patient to kill the cancer cells.
ALL is a cancer of the bone marrow and blood, in which the body makes abnormal lymphocytes. The disease progresses quickly and is the most common childhood cancer in the U.S. The National Cancer Institute estimates that approximately 3,100 patients aged 20 and younger are diagnosed with ALL each year. ALL can be of either T- or B-cell origin, with B-cell the most common. Kymriah is approved for use in pediatric and young adult patients with B-cell ALL and is intended for patients whose cancer has not responded to or has returned after initial treatment, which occurs in an estimated 15-20 percent of patients.
Kymriah is a first-of-its-kind treatment approach that fills an important unmet need for children and young adults with this serious disease, said Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D., director of the FDAs Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER). Not only does Kymriah provide these patients with a new treatment option where very limited options existed, but a treatment option that has shown promising remission and survival rates in clinical trials.
The safety and efficacy of Kymriah were demonstrated in one multicenter clinical trial of 63 pediatric and young adult patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL. The overall remission rate within three months of treatment was 83 percent.
Treatment with Kymriah has the potential to cause severe side effects. It carries a boxed warning for cytokine release syndrome (CRS), which is a systemic response to the activation and proliferation of CAR T-cells causing high fever and flu-like symptoms, and for neurological events. Both CRS and neurological events can be life-threatening. Other severe side effects of Kymriah include serious infections, low blood pressure (hypotension), acute kidney injury, fever, and decreased oxygen (hypoxia). Most symptoms appear within one to 22 days following infusion of Kymriah. Since the CD19 antigen is also present on normal B-cells, and Kymriah will also destroy those normal B cells that produce antibodies, there may be an increased risk of infections for a prolonged period of time.
The FDA today also expanded the approval of Actemra (tocilizumab) to treat CAR T-cell-induced severe or life-threatening CRS in patients 2 years of age or older. In clinical trials in patients treated with CAR-T cells, 69 percent of patients had complete resolution of CRS within two weeks following one or two doses of Actemra.
Because of the risk of CRS and neurological events, Kymriah is being approved with a risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS), which includes elements to assure safe use (ETASU). The FDA is requiring that hospitals and their associated clinics that dispense Kymriah be specially certified. As part of that certification, staff involved in the prescribing, dispensing, or administering of Kymriah are required to be trained to recognize and manage CRS and neurological events. Additionally, the certified health care settings are required to have protocols in place to ensure that Kymriah is only given to patients after verifying that tocilizumab is available for immediate administration. The REMS program specifies that patients be informed of the signs and symptoms of CRS and neurological toxicities following infusion and of the importance of promptly returning to the treatment site if they develop fever or other adverse reactions after receiving treatment with Kymriah.
To further evaluate the long-term safety, Novartis is also required to conduct a post-marketing observational study involving patients treated with Kymriah.
The FDA granted Kymriah Fast Track, Priority Review, and Breakthrough Therapy designations. The Kymriah application was reviewed using a coordinated, cross-agency approach. The clinical review was coordinated by the FDAs Oncology Center of Excellence, while CBER conducted all other aspects of review and made the final product approval determination.
The FDA granted approval of Kymriah to Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. The FDA granted the expanded approval of Actemra to Genentech Inc.
Read the original here:
FDA approves first cell-based gene therapy for use in the United States - Gears Of Biz
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Development, Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026| GlaxoSmithKline, Applied... - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Precision Medicine Market 2020: Industry Analysis and Detailed Profiles of Top Industry Players are Neon Therapeutics, Moderna, Inc,... - May 24th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trends in 2020 to 2025 |Abbott Laboratories, Bayer HealthCare, GlaxoSmithKline, OncoGenex... - May 16th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - OCRegister - May 16th, 2020
- Global Choroideremia Treatment Market Growth, Outlook, Trend and Forecast by Wize Pharma Inc, Spark Therapeutics, Inc, PIXIUM VISION, Retina Implant... - May 14th, 2020
- Why does immune response to coronavirus save some, kill others? - East Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (Stargardt Disease) Treatment Market Growth and key Industry Players 2021 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Express... - May 14th, 2020
- Size & Share Of Gene Therapy Market 2020 Report Including COVID-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026 - Northwest Trail - May 14th, 2020
- Fulcrum Therapeutics, Inc. (FULC) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Parkinsons disease treatment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product, By Technology, By Application, By End Use,... - May 12th, 2020
- Hofseth Biocare ASA: Two-year research collaboration contract signed with Stanford on the use of Salmon Protein Hydrolysate peptides for the treatment... - May 12th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 7-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2020
- The medicine of music: Tim Vallillee turns to song as therapy for cystic fibrosis and for life - TheChronicleHerald.ca - May 9th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CLVS earnings conference call or presentation 5-May-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BMRN earnings conference call or presentation 29-Apr-20 8:15pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- Immunotherapy Before Surgery Could Advance Care of an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer - Newswise - April 29th, 2020
- Study provides new insight into the neural circuitry underlying irritability and anxiety in youths - PsyPost - April 24th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market Industry Trends and Forecast to 2025 | PerkinElmer Inc, Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical - Bandera County... - April 9th, 2020
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Announces Formation of Strategic Medical Advisory Team of Experts in Neuromuscular Care and Research - BioSpace - April 3rd, 2020
- Retinal Dystrophy Treatment Market Overview,Outlook,Recent Trend by 2026|Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation -... - March 26th, 2020
- iCAD Launches New Initiatives Leveraging Unique Capabilities of its Robust Product Portfolio to Reduce Health Care System Pressures During the... - March 26th, 2020
- Why soap can kill coronavirus and how its discovery changed human history - The Irish Times - March 24th, 2020
- Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization Market worth USD 278.98 Billion by 2026; Increasing Demand for Pharmaceutical Products Will Aid... - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus weekend update: Plans outlined to prepare hospitals for surge in patients - Mountain View Voice - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SRPT earnings conference call or presentation 26-Feb-20 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- A history of soap: How it began and how it fights coronavirus - The Independent - March 20th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of FLXN earnings conference call or presentation 12-Mar-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Why soap works - even on coronavirus - and how its discovery altered human history - Chattanooga Times Free Press - March 16th, 2020
- Why Soap Works - The New York Times - March 14th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - Motley Fool - March 14th, 2020
- Scarborough brother and sister, aged 11 and 12, with the genetic cholesterol condition FH are helped by new clinic - The Scarborough News - March 14th, 2020
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Treatment Market to Exhibit a Spectacular CAGR of 28.9%; Growing Initiatives by Government Authorities for Pre-Diagnosis to... - March 7th, 2020
- Study maps landmarks of peripheral artery disease to guide treatment development - University of Illinois News - March 5th, 2020
- Misophonia: A Neurologic, Psychologic, and Audiologic... : The Hearing Journal - LWW Journals - March 5th, 2020
- Precision medicine in 2020: what barriers remain for drug developers? - pharmaceutical-technology.com - March 4th, 2020
- Hemophilia Treatment Market outlook with industry review and forecasts - Technology Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - News Times - March 4th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Global Genetic Testing Services Market is Expected to Reach USD 67.1 Billion by 2025 : Fior Markets - Yahoo Finance - February 26th, 2020
- When Treating Women With Ovarian Cancer, Gynecologic Oncologist Emphasizes Openness And Dedication Throughout Journey - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Lung-MAP: A five-year recap on the first master protocol trial in cancer research - The Cancer Letter - February 22nd, 2020
- Global Cell and Gene Therapy Consumables Market Revenue Expected to Reach USD 6999 Million By 2027 - Northwest Trail - February 21st, 2020
- In Vitro Fertilization Market will Reach USD 36.39 Billion by 2026: Increasing Cases of Infertility Among Men to Positively Influence Growth, says... - February 20th, 2020
- Global Veterinary X-ray Market is Expected to Reach USD 1,167.47 Million by 2025 : Fior Markets - GlobeNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Instant... - February 15th, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Top Key Players, Size, Global Share, Trend, Segmentation, Demand, Opportunities And Forecasts To 2025 - Chronicle 99 - February 15th, 2020
- Outlook on the Gene Therapy for CNS Disorders Market to 2025 by Application, - News by aeresearch - February 1st, 2020
- Cancer Biological Therapy Market Size, Share, Technology, Included Features, Cost, Revenue, Manufacturers, Region, Applications and Forecast to 2025 -... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Expedition 99 - January 31st, 2020
- UAB: 50 years of Improving Birmingham, Alabama and the World - Birmingham Times - January 31st, 2020
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Science... - January 31st, 2020
- What can hold back the hands of time? Scientists have looked at these five treatments - Ottawa Citizen - January 31st, 2020
- Global Cell Therapy Technologies Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Bulletin 99 - January 25th, 2020
- MDA Awards Venture Philanthropy Funding of More Than $1M to AavantiBio to Develop Gene-Targeting Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia - P&T Community - January 14th, 2020
- Oncocyte Announces the Commercial Availability of DetermaRx, the First Test for Chemotherapy Benefit Prediction in Patients with Early Stage Non-Small... - January 14th, 2020
- The Region's Health Leaders on What's New and What the Next Decade Will Bring - Business West - January 9th, 2020
- Endothelial Dysfunction Industry 2019-2025 Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Regional, Manufactures, Application and Forecast Research Report -... - January 9th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market is Expected to Reach USD 387.9 Million by 2025| Bertin, Tomtec, Terumo BCT, HynoDent AG, Avita Medical, Argos Technologies -... - January 9th, 2020
- Insights on precision oncology developments in Japan and beyond - MobiHealthNews - January 6th, 2020
- Novel discovery in gene therapy to treat kidney diseases - WeForNews - January 5th, 2020
- Top Providers of the Alpha Thalassemia Market gives a New Dimension easing Measurement and Quantification - GuruFocus.com - December 27th, 2019
- This was the best health news over the last decade - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- US Network of Specialized Angelman Clinics to Double Thanks to New Partnership - Angelman Syndrome News - December 13th, 2019
- ICMR issues guidelines for gene therapy in India - Daily Pioneer - December 13th, 2019
- Mergers and Acquisitions Will Strengthen Payer Identity in 2020 - HealthPayerIntelligence.com - December 13th, 2019
- University of Iowa researchers say $18 million grant could soon lead to cure for rare brain disease - KCRG - December 13th, 2019
- Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, by Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand and Forecast by 2025 - Tribunal... - December 13th, 2019
- Cancer gene therapy backed by Blackstone gets trial win - BioPharma Dive - December 6th, 2019
- Counterculture 73: Summer Jam, Timothy Leary and the Sexual Revolution - Rolling Stone - December 6th, 2019
- Precision Cancer Therapies Market Size, Status and Forecast 2025 Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and - The Market Stats News - December 6th, 2019
- World AIDS Day 2019: 37.9M people worldwide were living with HIV at the end of 2018 - USA TODAY - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Parkinsons Disease Treatment Market 2019 Analysis by Industry Growth, Size, Share, Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Eastlake Times - November 30th, 2019
- Diabetic foot wounds kill millions, but high-tech solutions and teamwork are making a difference - Thehour.com - November 28th, 2019
- Macular Degeneration Treatment Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2019 2026 - The Chicago Sentinel - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of BLFS earnings conference call or presentation 12-Nov-19 9:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2019
- U.S. stem cell clinic offering unapproved therapies brings direct-to-consumer marketing to Ottawa - Ottawa Citizen - November 18th, 2019
- Hemophilia Treatment Market Dynamics, Pin-Point Analysis, Comprehensive Landscape, Demand Key Factors, Market Segments Regions, Therapy For Hemophilia... - November 18th, 2019
- Abuse in cell banking services a global problem - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - November 14th, 2019
- Anti-Aging Products and Therapies Market Outlook: Investors Still Miss the Big Assessment - The Market Journal - November 11th, 2019
- Tip Sheet: A clever way to make an AIDS vaccine; how a common cancer mutation actually drives cancer; and a new process that regulates red blood cell... - November 9th, 2019