A pregnant British mom hopes she and her unborn baby will be the answer to help prolong her ailing brothers life.
Georgina Russell, of Preston, England, said she was desperate to help her brother, Ashley, when doctors diagnosed him with a slow-growing but deadly brain tumor earlier this year, according to the Daily Mail.
Georgina said she began researching his condition, glioblastoma, online and looking for answers that could save his life. She found one: her pregnancy.
Stem cells produced in the umbilical cord between her and her unborn baby potentially could be used in a treatment to shrink Ashleys tumor, according to the report. Once Georgina gives birth, she said doctors will be able to harvest and store the stem cells until Ashley needs them.
There is no harm to the baby or the mother when doctors harvest stem cells from the umbilical cord unlike embryonic stem cells, which only can be taken by killing a human life in the embryonic stage.
Georgina told the Mail: The blood from the cord is being used in trials across the world. It can do amazing things to help the body repair itself. If we store the stem cells, they can be kept to be used throughout Ashleys treatment when he needs them.
They might be able to inject them into the spinal fluid, to shrink the tumour on the brain, or they may be able to use the tissue grown from them to repair any damage to other parts of his body, if he has to have chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Ashley Russell, a British military veteran, husband and father, said doctors found the tumor after he began suffering from headaches, dizzy spells and mini-seizures about six months ago. Later, he said he also began having blurred vision. Doctors ran a series of tests before discovering the tumor on his brain.
He said doctors suggested surgery, but the procedure has high risks. They gave him about five years to live, according to the report.
Georgina said she was devastated for her brother and his family, and she began researching ways to help him. In her research online, she said she discovered how stem cells collected from the umbilical cord are helping to treat people with tumors and other diseases.
PRO-LIFE COLLEGE STUDENT? LifeNews is looking for interns interested in writing, social media, or video creation. Contact us today.
Her brother said the idea seemed odd at first, but he is willing to try anything.
I am quite a positive person so although the diagnosis was difficult, I am determined to do whatever I can to keep going, Ashley said. I did think about not being around to see my little girl get married and knew that if there was anything that might help, I would give it a go.
Georgina currently is 33 weeks pregnant with her unborn child, the report states.
Stem cells are so powerful and his new niece or nephew could save his life, she said.
The family set up a JustGiving page to help pay for the storage of the stem cells and Ashleys treatment.
Adult stem cells and those from umbilical cords are proving to be live-saving, while life-destroying embryonic stem cells have not been effective.
David Prentice, vice president and research director for the Charlotte Lozier Institute, explained more about the effectiveness of these life-saving stem cells in 2014:
SUPPORT PRO-LIFE NEWS! Please help LifeNews.com with a donation
Umbilical cord blood stem cells have become an extremely valuable alternative to bone marrow adult stem cell transplants, ever since cord blood stem cells were first used for patients over 25 years ago. The first umbilical cord blood stem cell transplant was performed in October 1988, for a 5-year-old child with Fanconi anemia, a serious condition where the bone marrow fails to make blood cells. That patient is currently alive and healthy, 25 years after the cord blood stem cell transplant.
Prentice said more than 30,000 cord blood stem cell transplants have been done across the world. These stem cells have helped treat people with blood and bone marrow diseases, leukemia and genetic enzyme diseases, he said.
See the original post here:
Woman Will Use Stem Cells From Her Baby's Umbilical Cord To ... - LifeNews.com
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 11th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Assay Market 2019 Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Type, Application, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 11th, 2019
- Oct4, Considered Vital for Creating iPSCs, Actually Isnt Needed - The Scientist - November 8th, 2019
- A winding romp through advances in cell biology pushes readers to ponder the boundaries of life - Science Magazine - October 31st, 2019
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to 2027 - Global Analysis and Forecasts By Product Type (Cord Cell Banking, Adult Stem Cell Banking, Embryonic Stem... - October 31st, 2019
- Cell Isolation Market ||Becton, Dickinson, and Company, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Merck KGaA - Industry News Info - October 31st, 2019
- Scientists Made Mice Live 12% Longer by Hacking Their Telomeres - Futurism - October 22nd, 2019
- Scientists extend mice lifespan 12% by tweaking telomeres - Big Think - October 22nd, 2019
- Merck KGaA opens Shanghai Innovation Center and invests $ 14 million in the China Seed Fund - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Health policy will be the focus of the HLTH - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Syros sees strategic shift after the failure of the previously promising cancer drug - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- What Theranos Whistleblowers Learn About Ethics in Health Startups - asume tech - October 19th, 2019
- Assessments of Treatment Options for Age-related Macular Degeneration - DocWire News - October 15th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Growth Rate, Production Volume and Future Opportunities From 2019-2024 - Exponent Online - October 15th, 2019
- Catholics more motivated to donate if ethical investing is assured - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 10th, 2019
- Greenwood to step down as CEO of BIO after 2020 election - FierceBiotech - October 10th, 2019
- Epigenetic initiation of the TH17 differentiation program is promoted by Cxxc finger protein 1 - Science Advances - October 10th, 2019
- Interview with Tamer Mohamed of Aspect Biosystems on Advancing Tissue Therapeutics - 3DPrint.com - October 10th, 2019
- Yale researchers develop way to help brain organoids thrive - Yale News - October 9th, 2019
- Catholics more motivated to donate if ethical investing is assured - The Catholic Spirit - October 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Market: By Key Players, Market Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecasts to 2024 - Joliet Observer - October 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020 - Gem Newz - October 9th, 2019
- On creativity, plasticity and repentance - Arutz Sheva - October 5th, 2019
- What's in the cards for this year's Nobel Prizes? - STAT - October 2nd, 2019
- Moving beyond hype: Could one-two treatment restore damaged heart muscle? - University of Wisconsin-Madison - September 28th, 2019
- Conjugated polymers optically regulate the fate of endothelial colony-forming cells - Science Advances - September 28th, 2019
- God of miniscule things - Pune Mirror - September 27th, 2019
- New study shows insight into how cells maintain their identity - Drug Target Review - September 24th, 2019
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near Future - Rapid News Network - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 Strategic Assessment by Top Players CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech - News Coed - September 24th, 2019
- Study Gives Clues to the Origin of Huntington's Disease, and a New Way to Find Drugs - Nature World News - September 24th, 2019
- Global Stem Cells Market 2019 Business Statistics Focus Report Growth by Top Key Players CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotec - The Industry News... - September 24th, 2019
- Orthopedic Biomaterials Product Market Set to Witness YoY Growth by 2018-2026 - NewsStoner - September 24th, 2019
- Global Fetal Bovine Serum Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2017-2026) - OnYourDesks - September 24th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Discern Steadfast Expansion During 2020 - Technology Trend - September 24th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 22nd, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research and Vaccines using Fetal Tissue - May 6th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cells - Definitions, Use, and Research - April 28th, 2019
- Will Embryonic Stem Cells Ever Cure Anything? - MIT ... - April 28th, 2019
- Creating Embryonic Stem Cells Without Embryo Destruction - April 23rd, 2019
- What Are Stem Cells? - livescience.com - April 19th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem-Cell Research Reaches Moral, Medical Dead End - April 8th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell: Definition, Uses and Collection ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Advantages of Embryonic Stem Cell Research | Sciencing - March 30th, 2019
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells - usccb.org - March 20th, 2019
- Obama Ends Stem Cell Research Ban - CBS News - March 10th, 2019
- Types of Stem Cells A Closer Look at Stem Cells - January 26th, 2019
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research - rtlofneo.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Ethics Of Embryonic Stem Cell Research Viewpoint Essay - December 11th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cells and Artificial Stem Cells Are ... - December 5th, 2018
- Embryonic stem cells | Cells | MCAT | Khan Academy - November 25th, 2018
- Crucial Differences Between Non-Embryonic and Embryonic Stem ... - November 23rd, 2018
- 14 Key Pros and Cons of Embryonic Stem Cell Research ... - November 5th, 2018
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells in Development, Volume 129 ... - September 29th, 2018
- Reprogrammed stem cells identical to embryonic stem cells - September 29th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cell Protocols by Kursad Turksen | Waterstones - September 29th, 2018
- What Are Stem Cells? Research, Transplant, Therapy, Definition - July 17th, 2018
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Pros and Cons | HRFnd - June 19th, 2018
- Stem Cell Research: Is It in Danger? - September 29th, 2017
- Truth About Embryonic Stem Cells | Stem Cell Orthopedic ... - September 29th, 2017
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Still Hasn't Cured a Single ... - September 25th, 2017
- Doubts raised about CRISPR gene-editing study in human embryos - Nature.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Study shows human stem cells restore mobility in Parkinson's monkeys - Borneo Bulletin Online - September 2nd, 2017
- Sofa Vergara's ex might finally be out of luck in his battle for custody ... - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Young cardiac cells rejuvenate heart in animal study - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 29th, 2017
- embryonic stem cells : NPR - August 25th, 2017
- Mouse model of human immune system inadequate for stem cell studies - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 25th, 2017
- Injections of Vitamin C Could Help Fight Blood Cancer - Wall Street Pit - August 25th, 2017
- Letter: Response to 'Disappointed by Republicans' - The Herald-News - August 20th, 2017
- What are Embryonic Stem Cells? - amaskincare.com - August 19th, 2017
- Stem cells mimic sphere where embryos grow - Futurity: Research News - August 19th, 2017
- Vitamin C helps genes to kill off cells that would cause cancer - New Scientist - August 19th, 2017
- A way to stabilize haploidy in animal cells - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- First implants derived from stem cells to 'cure' type 1 diabetes - New Scientist - August 12th, 2017
- Fast facts about cloning - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority - WPSD Local 6 - August 12th, 2017
- Stem Cell Implant Is Being Trialled To Cure" Type 1 Diabetes - IFLScience - August 12th, 2017
- Lego-Like Brain Balls Could Build a Living Replica of Your Noggin - WIRED - August 12th, 2017
- Amniotic sac in a dish: Stem cells form structures that may aid of infertility research - Phys.Org - August 8th, 2017
- BioTech Marketing and market opportunity for Stem Cells - Checkbiotech.org (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- Stem Cell Training and Top Protocols using Human Umbilical Cell Tissue - Checkbiotech.org (press release) - August 8th, 2017