To view as PDF, see: CLI Fact Sheet Adult Stem Cell Research and Transplants
Last updated: November 21, 2017
Adult stem cell transplants are already widely used to the benefit of over a million people.
Adult stem cell transplants are being used to treat dozens of conditions in patients.
[i] Gratwohl A et al., One million haematopoietic stem-cell transplants: a retrospective observational study, Lancet Haematology 2, e91-e100, March 2015. doi:10.1016/S2352-3026(15)00028-9.
[ii]Niederwieser D, Baldomero H, Szer J, Gratwohl M, et al., Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation activity worldwide in 2012 and a SWOT analysis of the Worldwide Network for Blood and Marrow Transplantation Group including the global survey. Bone Marrow Transplant. 51(6):778-785, 2016. doi:10.1038/bmt.2016.18.
[iii] General FAQ. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration. http://bloodcell.transplant.hrsa.gov/about/general_faqs/index.html, accessed August 3, 2016.
[iv] Ballen KK, Gluckman E, Broxmeyer HE, Umbilical cord blood transplantation: the first 25 years and beyond, Blood. 122:491-498, 2013. doi:10.1182/blood-2013-02-453175.
[v] Gratwohl A et al., One million haematopoietic stem-cell transplants: a retrospective observational study, Lancet Haematology 2, e91-e100, March 2015. doi:10.1016/S2352-3026(15)00028-9.
[vi] Search term: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=adult+stem+cell+transplants&type=Intr, accessed August 2, 2016.
[vii] Patel AN et al., Ixmyelocel-T for patients with ischaemic heart failure: a prospective randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 387:2412-2421, 2016. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30137-4.
[viii] Steinberg GK, Kondziolka D, Wechsker LR et al., Clinical Outcomes of Transplanted Modified Bone MarrowDerived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Stroke: A Phase 1/2a Study. Stroke. 447: 1817-1824, 2016. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.012995; Cox CS, Hetz RA, Liao GP, et al., Treatment of Severe Adult Traumatic Brain Injury Using Bone Marrow Mononuclear Cells. Stem Cells. 35:1065-1079, 2017. doi: 10.1002/stem.2538; Hess, DC et al., Safety and Efficacy of Multipotent Adult Progenitor Cells in Acute Ischaemic Stroke (MASTERS): A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 2 Trials. Lancet. 16 (5):360-368, 2017. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30046-7; Savitz SI, Misra V, Kasam M, et al., Intravenous Autologous Bone Marrow Mononuclear Cells for Ischemic Stroke. Annals of Neurology. 70:59-69, 2011. doi: 10.1002/ana.22458.
[ix]See Bernaudin F et al., Long-term results of related myeloablative stem-cell transplantation to cure sickle cell disease. Blood. 110:2749-2756,2007. doi: 10.1182/blood-2007-03-079665. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is the only curative therapy for sickle cell disease.
[x] Lima C, Pratas-Vital J, Escada P, Hasse-Ferreira A, Capucho C, Peduzzi JD. Olfactory Mucosal Autografts and Rehabilitation for Chronic Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury. Neurorehabil Neural Repair January 24:10-22, 2010. doi: 10.1177/1545968309347685; Lima C, Pratas-Vital J, Escada P, Hasse-Ferreira A, Capucho C, Peduzzi JD. Olfactory Mucosa Autografts in Human Spinal Cord Injury: A Pilot Clinical Study. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 29(3):191-203, 2006.
[xi] Burt RK et al., Association of Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation With Neurological Disability in Patients With Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis, JAMA. 313(3):275-284, 2015. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.17986.
[xii] Cai J et al., Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cell With Autologous Bone Marrow Cell Transplantation in Established Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Open-Label Clinical Study to Assess Safety and Impact on Insulin Secretion, Diabetes Care. 39, 149, 2016. doi: 10.2337/dc15-0171; Gaipov, A et al., Autologous Bone-Marrow-Derived Stem Cells Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 31 (suppl 1):i217, 2016. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfw169.03; DAddio F et al., Autologous Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes: A Multicenter Analysis, Diabetes.63(9),3041-3046, 2014.doi:10.2337/db14-0295; Zhao et al., Reversal of type 1 diabetes via islet cell regeneration following immune modulation by cord blood-derived multipotent stem cells. BMC Medicine. 10(3), 2012. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-10-3; Voltarelli JC and Couri CEB, Stem cell transplantation for type 1 diabetes mellitus, Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome 1, 4, 2009. doi: 10.1186/1758-5996-1-4; Couri CEB et al., C-Peptide Levels and Insulin Independence Following Autologous Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, JAMA 301, 1573-1579, 2009; Voltarelli JC et al., Autologous Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, JAMA. 297, 1568-1576, 2007.
[xiii] Weiss JN, Levy S, Malkin A. Stem Cell Ophthalmology Treatment Study (SCOTS) for retinal and optic nerve diseases: a preliminary report. Neural Regen Res 2015; 10:982-8; Weiss JN, Levy S, Benes SC. Stem Cell Ophthalmology Treatment Study (SCOTS) for retinal and optic nerve diseases: a case report of improvement in relapsing auto-immune optic neuropathy. Neural Regen Res 2015; 10:1507-15.
[xiv] Burt RK et al., Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, JAMA 295, 527-535, 2006, doi: 10.1001/jama.295.5.527; Illei GG et al., Current state and future directions of autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in systemic lupus erythematosus, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 70, 2071-2074, 2011 doi: 10.1136/ard.2010.148049; Szodoray P et al., Immunological reconstitution after autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with refractory systemic autoimmune diseases, Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology 41, 110-115, 2012, doi: 10.3109/03009742.2011.606788; Alchi B et al., Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for systemic lupus erythematosus: data from the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation registry, Lupus 22, 245-253, 2013, doi: 10.1177/0961203312470729; Alexander T et al., Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in systemic lupus erythematosus, Z. Rheumatologie 75, 770-779, 2016, doi: 10.1007/s00393-016-0190-3
[xv]Search term selection: multiple myeloma/plasma cell disease (PCD) http://bloodcell.transplant.hrsa.gov/RESEARCH/Transplant_Data/US_Tx_Data/Data_by_Disease/national.aspx, accessed August 3, 2016.
[xvi] Press release: The Lancet Hematology: Experts warn of stem cell underuse as transplants reach 1 million worldwide (Feb 26, 2016) http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-02/tl-tlh022515.php, accessed August 2, 2016.
See the article here:
Fact Sheet: Adult Stem Cell Research and Transplants ...
- Applying AI and CRISPR to stem cells to improve regenerative medicine - FierceBiotech - November 20th, 2019
- Decoding the building blocks of life: bit bio races toward a sustainable source of human cells - Proactive Investors UK - November 20th, 2019
- 1st SCD Trial Patient Shows CTX001 Gene Editing to be Safe, Effective - Sickle Cell Anemia News - November 20th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - BioSpace - November 20th, 2019
- Novocure Announces 43 Presentations on Tumor Treating Fields at 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuro-Oncology - Arizona Daily Star - November 20th, 2019
- Maltese abroad: the best-selling author with roots in Gozo - Times of Malta - November 20th, 2019
- Early Results Are Positive for Experimental CRISPR Therapies - The Scientist - November 19th, 2019
- CHMP recommends EMA approval of polatuzumab vedotin for the treatment of adult patients with R/R DLBCL - Lymphoma Hub - November 19th, 2019
- CStone announces first patient dosed in the Phase I bridging registrational study of ivosidenib - PRNewswire - November 19th, 2019
- Redding woman donates bone marrow, saves life of a father - FOX61 Hartford - November 16th, 2019
- Maxim Group Maintains Their Buy Rating on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI) - Smarter Analyst - November 16th, 2019
- How 3D Printing Is Turning Each And Every Industry On Its Head - SafeHaven.com - November 16th, 2019
- BIORESTORATIVE THERAPIES, INC. (OTCMKTS:BRTX) Files An 8-K Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders - Market Exclusive - November 16th, 2019
- Global Cell Expansion Market 2019 is predicted to reach an excellent valuation of by 2024 - Galus Australis - November 16th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market is Growing Massively in Upcoming Year with Top Key Players like GE Healthcare, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Cell... - November 15th, 2019
- Bone marrow transplant: What it is, uses, risks, and recovery - Medical News Today - November 15th, 2019
- The Demand of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2019 Future Growth, Demand, Application, Trends, Vendor Landscape, Industry Insight,... - November 15th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Research Grant Award From the National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Announces Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2019 and Provides a Corporate Update - GlobeNewswire - November 14th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Announces Ralph Kern MD MHSc to Present at the 7th International Stem Cell Meeting - Yahoo Finance - November 14th, 2019
- INDIA Indian doctor: Medical innovation should not try to replace the Creator - AsiaNews - November 14th, 2019
- iCell Gene Therapeutics Announces CAR-T Oral and Poster Presentations at 61st American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Send2Press Newswire - November 14th, 2019
- Contrasting BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 14th, 2019
- Phase 3 Trial of NINLAROTM (ixazomib) as First Line Maintenance Therapy Met Primary Endpoint in Multiple Myeloma Patients not treated with Stem Cell... - November 12th, 2019
- Army veteran to save woman with blood cancer through stem cell donation - Stoke-on-Trent Live - November 12th, 2019
- Financial Contrast: BioRestorative Therapies (OTCMKTS:BRTX) and Livongo Health (OTCMKTS:LVGO) - DFS Caller - November 12th, 2019
- Autolus Therapeutics Plc (AUTL) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript - The Motley Fool - November 9th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Secondary Research With Geron Corporation, Vericel Corporation, Pluristem Therapeutics, Cytori Therapeutics, Fate... - October 29th, 2019
- Huntington's Marked by Inflammation and Changes in Brain's Striatum Before Symptoms, Study Finds - Huntington's Disease News - October 29th, 2019
- In 2030, Our Protein Will Come From a Laband We'll All Be Better Off For It - Singularity Hub - October 28th, 2019
- NASA plans to cut cost of space exploration by commercializing low-earth orbit - Digital Trends - October 27th, 2019
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Present at the Dawson James Securities 5th Annual Small Cap Growth Conference - BioSpace - October 27th, 2019
- Artificial Early Mouse Embryos Created In The Lab Using Stems Cells Rather Than Sperm Or Eggs - IFLScience - October 21st, 2019
- Healthcare Terms Are Out of Touch, Says Mom Advocate - Medscape - October 21st, 2019
- A stop-motion movie of the whole brain, starring new neurons - Spectrum - October 21st, 2019
- Humans evolved to think faster by slowing down brain development - New Scientist News - October 21st, 2019
- Stem Cell Banking Market was valued at $1986 million in 2016 - Markets Gazette - October 19th, 2019
- Republicans demand answers about government experiments with animals and fetal tissue - Washington Examiner - October 17th, 2019
- The Other Side of Stem Cell Research - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - October 17th, 2019
- Reviewing MediciNova Inc. (MNOV)'s and Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:BCLI)'s results - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- SI-BONE Inc. (SIBN) and Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL) Comparing side by side - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Inherited Learning? It Happens, but How Is Uncertain - Quanta Magazine - October 17th, 2019
- Contrasting of Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc. (BCLI) and Magenta Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:MGTA) - MS Wkly - October 17th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market to Gain Huge Traction Owing to Arrival of New-Fangled Treatments for Long-Lasting Sicknesses Till 2025 | Million Insights - P&T... - October 7th, 2019
- New Tools in the Works to Probe Adult Human Neurogenesis - The Scientist - October 7th, 2019
- Follow the lead of Aston Villa players and become a blood stem cell donor - 7500 To Holte - October 7th, 2019
- Starving Cancer by Cutting Off Its Favorite Foods, Glucose and Glutamine - American Council on Science and Health - October 6th, 2019
- We're making tiny brains in the lab should we be worried for them? - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2019
- Female Scientist To Lead Advanced Cancer Research Project In Space - SheThePeople - October 6th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Bone Therapeutics to present preclinical data on the osteogenic properties of ALLOB in bone repair at 27th Annual Meeting of the European Orthopaedic... - October 4th, 2019
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Report, 2019-2030 : Focus on Treatment Type, Cell Source, Indication and Competitive Landscape - Space Market Research - October 4th, 2019
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of DARZALEX (daratumumab) in Combination with Bortezomib, Thalidomide and Dexamethasone for Frontline Multiple... - September 27th, 2019
- The unexpected functional diversity of reactive astrocytes - Baylor College of Medicine News - September 27th, 2019
- Troy resident 'gets it done' with ground-breaking treatment - Troy Daily News - September 27th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market Overview by Industry Chain Information, Upstream Raw Materials & Downstream Industry 2017 2025 - Herald Space - September 27th, 2019
- Stem cells regrow long bones - WNDU-TV - September 20th, 2019
- The Basics of Stem Cell Transplantation - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2019
- Potential Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury Receives Regenerative Advanced Therapy Designation - Drug Topics - September 20th, 2019
- What Is Lab Meat and Is It Vegan? - LIVEKINDLY - September 20th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in the upcoming year - OnYourDesks - September 20th, 2019
- Researchers Use CRISPR to Correct Mutation in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Model - Technology Networks - September 20th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the U.S. FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 20th, 2019
- 7th Annual Miracles for Myeloma 5K Run/Walk - New Jersey Hills - September 20th, 2019
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years - ScoopJunction - September 20th, 2019
- Religion briefs for Sept. 19 | Community - Petoskey News-Review - September 19th, 2019
- Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and John Theurer Cancer Center Launch Clinical Trial Evaluating Gene Therapy for Severe Sickle Cell Disease in... - September 19th, 2019
- Engineering lymphatic vessels as a therapeutic to heal the heart - ND Newswire - September 19th, 2019
- SanBio Granted Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy Designation from the US FDA for SB623 for the Treatment of Chronic Neurological Motor Deficits... - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapies Market by Top Key Players, Size, Subdivision & Market Dynamics Forces - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Assay Market to Record an Exponential CAGR by 2025 - Wolf Mirror - September 19th, 2019
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Heightened Revenue Growth in the Next Decade - NewsVarsity - September 19th, 2019
- Knotty Problem of Cell Reprogramming Solved - Technology Networks - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Foraying into Emerging Economies 2017-2025 - Techdadz - September 19th, 2019
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market is expected to witness a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period 2017-2026 - Zebvo - September 19th, 2019
- Alzheimer's Disease Insight Report: Current Therapies, Drug Pipeline and Outlook - BioSpace - September 19th, 2019
- Partner Therapeutics Receives Orphan Drug Designation for Leukine (sargramostim) - Odessa American - September 19th, 2019
- Stem Cells Market Predicted to Surpass US$167.33 Bn By 2025 - TheSlapClap - September 19th, 2019
- Story of life: Seven wonders of biological research - The Irish Times - September 19th, 2019
- Cell Harvester Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Applications, Drivers, Trends & Forecast to 2025 - Market Forecast - September 19th, 2019